OtakuBoards

Useless cards

satan665

Hey all! I'm not a master of this game on any level, but I wanted to know what you thought since there are some very experienced duelists here (so it seems).

Do you have any utterly useless cards? why do you think they are included/ why were they made?

I have some cards which are useless because I don't have their counterparts, like fusion cards and ritual magic cards but what I really mean are cards like "Gather your Mind"

I have two of them now from Mag. Force packs and its a Magic card with the effect; take another gather your mind card from your deck, place it in your hand and shuffle your deck. (not exactly what it says, I don't have it on me)

Does anyone know any possible use for this card? I would be really impressed if someone did.

Any other completely useless cards?

some of the monsters from the LOB set are pretty stupid and useless e.g skull servent,it has extremely low attack and defense,i think they make these cards so it isnt to easy to get good stuff and to make you wan to buy more,by getting rubbish cards u feel like if u get another pack yo migt get better luck

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by satan665 [/i]
[B]I have some cards which are useless because I don't have their counterparts, like fusion cards and ritual magic cards but what I really mean are cards like "Gather your Mind"

I have two of them now from Mag. Force packs and its a Magic card with the effect; take another gather your mind card from your deck, place it in your hand and shuffle your deck. (not exactly what it says, I don't have it on me)

Does anyone know any possible use for this card? I would be really impressed if someone did.[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=#503F86]With cards like Skilled White or Black Magician on the field, you get to activate the card and add a Spell Counter to either card while not doing anything too drastic to any of your monsters or Deck. It's a Spell Counter card, really. Albeit a not particularly great one. You could just as well use a Dian Keto or something.

I know a few- most are in the LOB booster sets; the commons you'd get 8 to a pack of. Some of the field cards ar alright, but the monsters weren't particularly fantastic. I don't know of anyone who'd put themin a Deck unless they had to. Even the Rare Fusions are pretty bad; fusing for less than 1500 ATK and no effect is a waste of three cards' space for more worthwhile monsters.[/COLOR]

No card is completely useless...

Sure, some are [i]far[/i] less playable than others, but there's always some use you can find for them. Although, the uses do tend to be a little too situational to really be practical.

Gather Your Mind could be used for deck thinning, and as Solo has mentioned, adding Magic Counters to cards that can use them.

Skull Servant and all those other monsters with weak stats and no effect can also be put to use (generally by giving them to your opponent). Creature Swap and Magic Box of Death, for example. Swap your puny monster for Jinzo, or kill the Jinzo, give them your monster and attack it with something else. If it's the only card in your hand, play Exchange. What you get off your opponent's bound to be better than what they're getting off you.

Every card has a use of some kind. Sometimes, you just have to look harder to find it.

Well, I know of two very useless cards. They are Upstart Goblin(your opponent gains 1000 life points and you draw a card), and the other is Jar of Greed(you draw one card). Obviously, Jar of Greed is the better of the two(It has Upstart Goblin's positive effect without the negative effect), but they're both quite useless. Why? I'll use Jar of Gred as an example.

You've just drawn Jar of Greed. You use it to draw a card, which we'll call card A. Now, if Jar of Greed wasn't in your deck, you would have drawn card A. It doesn't matter if you have Jar of Greed in your deck or not, the result(having card A in your hand) is the same. Now, if you use Upstart Goblin, you still get just card A, but now your opponent has 1000 more life points. So while Jar of Greed is just a waste of space, Upstart Goblin helps your opponent while giving you essentially nothing(you would have drawn card A if you didn't have Upstart GOblin in your deck). Despite this, everyone I've played has these two cards in his or her deck.

Actually, Takuya, Upstart Goblin CAN be useful for you if you run a "Bad Reaction to Simochi" deck. You draw a card, your opponent loses 100 life points.

And, the reason why some people put cards like Jar of Greed and Upstart Goblin in their decks is simply this: Exodia. Or, any other card combo that they use to win the game as soon as possible. so you see, those cards can be useful if you use them in a certain way. It's just as Kakashi said; you just have to look deeper into them for their usefulness.

A Bad Reaction to Simochi deck uses BRTS (a card that makes all gains in life points for your opponent losses) to devestate your opponent. I know, not that good. You'll probably only get one shot.

Here's a use for Skull Servant: a bluff. This is an example:

Player 1 has Jinzo.

Player 2 has nothing.

Player 2 draws Skull Servant.

Player 2 smiles and mutters "Yes!".

Player 2: I'll play a monster in defense mode.

Player 1 (thinking): He must have a Man-Eater Bug, or something.

Player 1: I'll play Raigeki!

Player 2 flips Skull Servant over and puts him in the graveyard.

Player 2: Ha! You wasted your Raigeki! Now, I'll play 7-Colored Fish and add Axe of Despair!

You can see where this goes.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kakashi [/i]
[B]No card is completely useless...

Sure, some are [i]far[/i] less playable than others, but there's always some use you can find for them. Although, the uses do tend to be a little too situational to really be practical. [/B][/QUOTE]
I don't mean to be...negative for my first post here, but I disagree. Pretty much all the commons in LOB are useless. You [i]can[/i] use them, but if you do, then you will lose more than win. Even though Niwatori isn't from LOB, it's still useless. No duelist that has a good grasp on the game and its' rules would ever use that card.

satan665 wrote:
[quote]why do you think they are included/ why were they made?[/quote]
Teh (not a spelling error. Indeed it is intentional.) useless cards are included in sets are becuase if they weren't, then every single pack would have wicked good card(s), and not as many people would buy them. And they wouldn't but as much as they do now. The idea is to make money, and to "challenge" collectors.
I think that Japan is making more money than the U.S. off of this, because they do not have the guarantee of at least a normal rare in every pack. And there are 5 cards in JP packs, and the U.S. (and other countries) have 9 in a pack.

I will now end this post, for I have exhaughsted myself from typing.

:sleepy:

EDIT: edit'd some stuff. The edit & quote buttons are on the bottom of the post. 0_o; kinda confusing. Oh well.

EDIT: (AGAIN) I find it odd that there is no introduction/nexbie forum. To introduce myself and what-not. If there is, slap me and point me to it. (A light slap, if you will. My skin is sensitive.) ;)

In my very own opinion I think Magical Scientist is pretty useless for the most part simply because he summons a fusion monster at the cost of 1000 life points. And yes I've heard the combos with him, summon him out then summon out a fusion with his effect and then Catapualt Turtle. But! There is one single flaw there, you can only summon or set one monster per turn and Catapualt Turtle's effect can only be used once per turn. So really I view Scientist as an okay card but it could have been given better stats just so it could stay on the field a little longer.

Catapult Turtle's effect can be used over and over as long as you have monsters to use its effect on.

Generally, people who intend to use Scientist in the english environment will be using cards like Last Will and so on that allow them to special summon the cards they need.

[quote]I don't mean to be...negative for my first post here, but I disagree. Pretty much all the commons in LOB are useless. You can use them, but if you do, then you will lose more than win. Even though Niwatori isn't from LOB, it's still useless. No duelist that has a good grasp on the game and its' rules would ever use that card.[/quote]

My point was that they aren't completely useless. Sure, they'll probably hurt more than help in most cases, but they still have a use.

Edit: I messed up the vB code. Is fixed now.

[quote]I don't know what a Bad Reaction to Simochi deck is. Could someone please tell me?
Also, Upstart Goblin and Jar of Greed will not help you get Exodia or another card combo any faster. As I said in my previous post, the end result is the same(you have card A in your hand).[/quote]

A Bad Reaction deck revolves around using cards that increase your opponent's LP to hurt them. For example, Upstart Goblin and Rain of Mercy.

Also, you may only have gotten "Card A" with that Jar of Greed or Upstart Goblin, but you're also a draw closer to Exodia, since you've drawn 1 more card than normal during your turn. It may not seem like much, but it can make a difference.

Oh, I know. I was..just pointing...that out...
Sry, I have a tendency to point out the obvious. Just call me Captain Obvious.

Could someone post an emaple of a shadow ghoul deck plz? I don't know how the "useless" cards would work in it. Maybe just weak monster to waste to the cemetary?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Otogi-san [/i]
[B]Could someone post an emaple of a shadow ghoul deck plz? I don't know how the "useless" cards would work in it. Maybe just weak monster to waste to the cemetary? [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=#503F86]Basically, yes. But it's more complicated than that. Firstly, you need to be able to get your Shadow Ghoul out onto the field (perhaps by Pyramid Turtle), and then you have to make sure that all your 'useless' monster cards go into the Graveyard. The problem is, if you're relying on using only one Shadow Ghoul and another lot of monsters, the most you'll be able to raise it's ATK by is 1900 if you're using a fairly standard Deck theme. That's only 4500, which you could just as easily get with three monsters on the field and United We Stand. A lot fewer cards, and it gives you better scope to do other things.

It's certainly a possibility, though. I don't think I'd use Exchange myself, because you won't be guaranteed to have a crap enough monster in your hand to swap at a crucial time. It's just not my kind of game, really. I'm sure other people can use it to great effect, though.[/COLOR]

A "Shadow Ghoul" deck would definitely abuse the "useless" cards, plus cards like "Cheerful Coffin" or even "Graceful Charity." The idea is to get as many monsters in the grave as you can, just to power up Shadow Ghoul. Let me try to list the deck...

Non-Tribute Monsters:
x1 Sangan
x1 Witch of The Black Forest
x3 Cannon Soldier
x3 Skull Servant
x3 Fire Sorcerer (unless the effect makes you remove cards from play; if it does, this wouldn't go here)

(And for the rest, I guess any monster you want to toss to the grave)

Tribute Monsters:
x3 Shadow Ghoul

Magic Cards:
x1 Monster Reborn
x1 Raigeki
x3 Mystical Space Typhoon
x1 Harpies Feather Duster
x1 Graceful Charity
x1 Pot of Greed
x3 The Cheerful Coffin
x1 Dark Hole
x1 Final Destiny
x1 Card Destruction

Traps:
x3 Waboku
x1 7 Tools of The Bandit
x1 Imperial Order
x2 Solemn Wishes

Guest Altron Gundam
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Domon [/i]
[B]In my very own opinion I think Magical Scientist is pretty useless for the most part simply because he summons a fusion monster at the cost of 1000 life points. And yes I've heard the combos with him, summon him out then summon out a fusion with his effect and then Catapualt Turtle. But! There is one single flaw there, you can only summon or set one monster per turn and Catapualt Turtle's effect can only be used once per turn. So really I view Scientist as an okay card but it could have been given better stats just so it could stay on the field a little longer. [/B][/QUOTE]

If it were given higher stats it would've been a god-like card..

It is already bad enough as it is. It can clear the field with ease, and with enhanced stats could annihilate lots of LP. When Enraged Minotaur comes out, all you would have to do to clear the field, is special summon a bunch of Crimson Birds(2300 atk) and trample like hell...

Scientist is a deadly card to those who have a good grasp of the game and can think outside of stupid atk/def. Partially, in the end, effects make all the difference.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Altron Gundam [/i]
[B]

Scientist is a deadly card to those who have a good grasp of the game and can think outside of stupid atk/def. Partially, in the end, effects make all the difference. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah; I mean, if Atk/Def were all that mattered, why would anyone play cards like witch of the Black Forest, or Sangan, or any Jars, Magicians of Faith, Exiled Force, etc.?

Scientest can be used in a lot of ways, but rusher ain't one of them.

I agree now that there are no totally useless cards, but just more useful and less useful ones. But howabout cards that allow you to shuffle your deck? I'm hard pressed to think about ways to use that effect for a specific reason.

I bet you guys can come up with something though...any takers?

Guest Altron Gundam
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B]Sorry to agree with you. Won't happen again. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Sry, I misinterpeted the post. I thought you were saying I said he was a rusher. My mistake. XD.