OtakuBoards

request advice

Inuyasha Fandom

[size=1]Well, I suppose you would start by copying pictures of the characters you want to draw--don't [i]trace,[/i] that defeats the purpose! Concentrate on getting proportions right, and everything in the right places (eyes, accesories, etc.)

I'd choose a relatively easy picture to start out--and one that you wouldn't mind drawing more than once. Draw it as best you can, then take your version and the original (print a copy off the net, or use a manga; it's hard to get things right when you're drawing off a computer screen) to a friend, sibling, parent, and ask them what's wrong with it. (Make them be specific...."His ear is in the wrong place," "Her hair is too poofy," etc.) Draw/sketch the same picture again (you don't need to spend a lot of time on these, it's just lineart that you're planning to redraw, anyway.) Pay attention to the parts of the character that turned out wrong the first time, and try again.

You don't need to keep drawing the same picture till kingdom come, by the way. After the second or third time you've drawn something, you have a pretty solid idea of what they look like--you'll remember odd accessories in the outfit, the way the eyes look, etc.

After you know what they [b]really[/b] look like, you can try drawing them in another style, in different poses*, etc.

Don't know if that was quite what you were asking, but there it is, just the same.

*If you have trouble figuring out how a certain pose should look, find a picture of a different character in the same pose. It'll give you a general idea, and you can work from there.[/size]

• 6 months later...
Well... I'm a drawer myself, but here's my advise: You should keep trying on the picture. just concentrate on the work that lie ahead of you, studying the characters personality in the picture, etc.. You should draw them in your perspective first, then try the actual picture,so that way you can find out how you see it compared to the original. Make the changes you note, that you see in the two different copies. Have someone else check it out too. A second opinion always helps. [not mine. I'm too picky.] It may take a little more time, but I feel it works. Try starting out with a simple area too. I prefer to start with the hair of my character, working down, too get as much in so its not as choppy. The out line of the character is most important when starting a picture, then you can add the other qualities of perfection. I think my advise doesn't sound any diffeent than sara's does it? Oh well... if it does, i tried!!!

im not much of an artist, but i can tell you that you should have TONS of reference materials, like paper dolls or something to help get proportions and folds on clothes right. first i suggest that you draw realistic things like trees and people so you can start to get proportions right, then you can alter them to manga style. oftentimes people jump right into manga style, some are cut out for it, but others are messed up because the proportions are out of whack. like i said im not much of an artist, but i do know a thing or two about proportions and other stuff like that. if you are trying to make an outstanding pic, try getting a picture of your characters, draw them the best you can, then put them onto a picture editing program, such as photo shop or paint or something like that