OtakuBoards

Kevin Smith

Zen

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]
Kevin Smith is a semi-famous writer/director, known for his works "Clerks", "Mallrats, "Dogma", and more recentely, "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Apart form being a hilarious movie acter, director, and writer, he has also writen for several comic book heroes (Including his original comical characters based on Jay and Silent Bob, Bluntman and Chronic.).

Personally, I love his works and I find it hilarious how he created his own universe, intitled the Askewniverse, and how he makes fun of his own characters.

I wanna make sure I'm not his only fan on the boards. Tell me what you feel on his works and what not.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

It's funny that you mention that, because my friend accidentally ended up at a skateboarding convention where Kevin Smith and the other guy (can't remember his name) were there. My friend tells me about these movies all the time and it pisses me off that I can't get them (until I get a job and some money). He and I have the [i]exact[/i] same sense of humor. It's quite odd. Anyway, you're not the only fan.

Let me tell ya'll about Mr. Smith. Way back when the Spider-Man movie came out, Smith signed a deal with Marvel to write a five issue mini-series called: "Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do". All he had to do was script five comic books.

It's been over a year, and we've only gotten three issues. The scripts for the fourth and fifth don't even exist yet. He hasn't written them.

Exactly the same scenario with "Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target".

Those projects are never going to be finished, and Marvel puts up with this because Smith's name = $.

Meanwhile, the Black Cat's character isn't going to be used until the series is done, because, in some archaic concep, the other writers at Marvel actually respect other writewrs, and don't want to mess up whatever Smith was trying to do with the character.

Brian Micheal Bendis, the writer of Daredevil, took heat for using Bullseye, after delaying the storyline he wanted to write about six months (thus loosing any chance of tying in with the movie), when it finally became apparent that issue #2 of DD/B:T wasn't coming.

When asked about the completion of these series at a convention, Smith replied he was simply working on other things, apparently things more important than finishing the cointract he entered into. He then proceeded to tell those assembled that it was "Just a comic book", and they should "get a life".

Suffice it to say, I have issues with Mr. Smith, as well as the suits at Marvel who let this prima donna run rampet. Were it me, I would have slapped a breach of contract lawsuit on his rear a long time ago.

On the other hand, Dogma was a great movie.

Comics are hardly boring. It doesn't matter what you prefer, he should just finish the damn things.

Smith is a good writer (although I thought a lot of Dogma felt like it was written by a teenager with a skewed perception on religion), but I think he is a really average director. People try to tell me it's just his "style", but I think anyone that studied film in any way would realize that he's simply not that good at it. He's improved though.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

Coming from a guy with "I Enjoy sex with animals" as his avatar. But seriously, your right. His first work, Clerks, was strange and looked like a home made movie. But his last work, Jay and Silent Bob was the funniest of his movies. With Mallrats with a close second. "Chocolate covered pretzels?"

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Nah, I wouldn't say that Jay and Silent Bob was his funniest movie. Myself I think that Mallrats is probably the best. Chasing Amy just doesn't tie in with the rest of his movies. It has a completely different theme and working, strange to say the least.

I think I must agree with you guys on the whole comic issue, especially on the Spiderman/Blackcat releases. That guy really needs to sort his work load out.

I guess you either love his movies or hate his movies, they appeal to a certain sense of humour I guess.

[SIZE=1][B]

Well, if you already didn't know, Jason Lee (Jay) is Smith's close freind and Kevin Smith plays Silent Bob. So, thats probably why. Also, there the fact that they always provide comic releif in his few serious movies. Without them, his movies wouldn't have a reason to be funny.[/B][/SIZE]

[color=#006699]Just so you know...Jay and Silent Bob will not appear in anymore movies. Possibly Silent Bob, but Jay definately will not. Jason Mewes is serving time, my guess is for possesion. Heh. I'm a pretty big Kevin Smith fan. In a few of my posts I've said "Snoochie Boochies" or "Nooch" or something. I've grown quite fond of their slang. Anyone who talks to me on AIM can verify that.

Mallrats > Clerks Cartoon > Clerks > Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back > Dogma > Chasing Amy.[/color]

[B][SIZE=1]

Ah, yes, the slang of Jay and Silent Bob. My favorite being "Snooch to the Nooch, mother F***ER!" thats just funny tto here and leaves you going, "What the hell did he just say?!?" I also like "Boo Boo Kitty F**#?" when he was trying to nickname Justice from JaSBSB. Kevin Smith has a strange, but great, sinc of humor in that since.

Its sad to here that those beloved characters are gone. I'll miss there movies. Maybe if Mewes gets outta prison anytime soon, they might countiue the saga. But its unlikely, but hey, its a dream.
[/B][/SIZE]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Are we really just going to point out movies that Kevin Smith directed? He has executively produced a couple other movies, including Vulgar - which several of my friends and my oldest brother have watched and said it was really good. He also helped edit Daredevil (as well as acted in it), as well as some other producing jobs in some other smaller movies. .

I really enjoy his movies, and just like that he doesn't care who he pisses off. . I know that he has gotten a lot of complaints from the character played by Mewes - Jay. . .but. . that's going to happen anytime you are not PC (Politically Correct) in front of millions of people (look at Eminem) [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I was a big fan of his work back in my mid-highschool years. (96-98)

Now I've sorta fallen off with it. I don't really like dogma all that much, jay and silent bob strike back had it's moments, but was far too lacking in the story/plot/depth area.

However, I still love clerks for its humor and style. But Ive gotta be honest, my favorite of all smith movies was hands down, "mall rats."

Mall rats had something of a story, yeah, sure it was light hearted and sorta silly, but if you ask me, the humor and story make for one of the best smith films to-date. I mean, brodie really is one of his best charactors, and the antics throughout the movie (chocolate covered pretzel anyone?) made me laugh to no end.

All in all, I am still a fan of smith, just not as openly as I was before chasing amy, dogma and j&s strike back.
(btw, you forgot to mention chasing amy in your list of his work :D and he also did work for other comics that were not of his own creation, I forget which ones, but I'm sure of it.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kent [/i]
[B](btw, you forgot to mention chasing amy in your list of his work :D and he also did work for other comics that were not of his own creation, I forget which ones, but I'm sure of it.) [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Hope you didn't mean me. . that would fall under one of the movies he directed. In addition to that, that is one of my favorite movies that he directed.

I agree with you Kent that Mallrats is one of his best movies. .following that would be Chasing Amy, then Clerks. . all good stuff. . lol[/SIZE][/COLOR]