OtakuBoards

Disk Read error?

anime_guy

I've had my PS2 scines the first months they were out, and now, after all this time, I find out I have the disk read error! Now half of my games don't work! All of the PS2's that came out in like, the first 7 or 8 months have it. I'm lucky, I'm getting a new one...anyone else have this problem?

The best way to improve this is to get a vaccum or a can or 2 of compressed air. Spray it in the vents and the fan to clean out the dust. Then if you have a laser lens cleaning CD use it to clean the lens. Or you could take off teh top of you PS2 and clean teh les with some alcohol ( like I did with my old S2 till i dropped it and it broke) But the error is just from dust build up

Guest cloricus
I'm sorry to say but a Can-O-Air will have no effect on a disk read error and this goes down purely to Sony trying to cut costs by using inferior parts, or the technology they used was second rate.

[color=#707875]Yep, the PS2's laser is infamously cheap garbage. My PS2 (a first generation model) had the same issue.

It got so bad, that some games would freeze mid-play, or experience bizarre glitches. Also, my PS2 refused to read any DVD movies.

So...I traded it in and bought a new Satin Silver PS2. ~_^

I know that's not always an option though. It's an expensive option, at least.

You could try to get your machine fixed by Sony. They may replace the laser, presumably. But of course, you'd have to pay for that too.

Still...I guess these are your only real options. Either way, if you want to play PS2 games again without troubles, you're going to have to pay in some respect.[/color]

Even though it may be the PS2 hardware crapping out, look at the underside of the games. Are they blue or black?

If they're blue, then they might be too light to spin properly. Try getting two evenly-sized strips of scotch tape and place them evenly on the top of the disc, over the label. I've had the Disc Read Error problem a few times with my PS2, and it was only with blue bottomed discs. The scotch tape trick worked like a charm, and prevented me from having to buy a new PS2 ^_^.

The guy at Gamestop said that it would start not reading blue or purple disks, and now, even some silver-backs don't work, but soon I'm gunna trade it in and get $100 bucks for it (they don't know it has the error...) then i'll just put that 100 towards a brand new PS2, with the network adaptor and DVD remote ^_^

My PS2 has had this problem before... mainly with DVDs and some PS1 games, though. I.E.: My friend was tryin to play Thousand Arms on my PS2 yesterday, and it refused to read it. The disc is in really good condition, too. Only a few minor scratches... PS2s aren't known for their reliability in hardware. XD

And... erm... about someone saying they were trading their messed up PS2 in for $100, just to warn you, they check if those things work sometimes... and still, what if some little kid got your broken PS2 for Christmas and he couldn't play any games and his Christmas was ruined? How would THAT make you feel? XD *sarcasm... mostly* XD

My PS2 gives me that error sometimes, but never on a psx game. And when I do get it, I just open the tray and move the disc around a bit, figuring it's jussssssst out of place. And after a few...dozen tries, it'll read it. Hopefully my PS2 will keep playing all my stuff until the next sony machine comes out (not counting PSP), assuming it's backwards compatible.

Guest angelaanime
The read disk error problem can be solved by sending the ps2 to a near by sony company. I had that problem with mine about 2 months ago. If it was not damaged by water, drops, etc. but was just a reading error, they will fix it for free!!!!

[font=arial]The same thing was happening to my PS2. Although what Alastor said might be true for him, there were problems with the disc lenses and other parts of the machine. I had to send my Sony in twice (free of charge of course!) and have them repair it. When I got it back, it only played PS1 games and I only have one so that was no good to me. I sent it back a second time telling them that I expected that when I got it back this time, all the problems would be fixed, and the list had like, 5 items they fixed. I reckon if you call them and don't take it apart or haven't damaged it or anything, you can just ship it to them and they will fix it for you. ^_^;;[/font]

Guest Buckshot
Yeh ive had that problem a few times it just froze and i just reset it and it worked some times and my second player control inlet dosent hold in the control plug it just slides in and out really easy. Any ideas on that should i just send it in or what?

I think I saw how to fix this problem on an episode of Xplay. If you take the cover off your PS2 there is a little white gear to the left of the disc tray in the back. They said to start adjusting it until it starts to read all disc formats again. Here's the link [url]http://www.techtv.com/xplay/features/story/0,24330,3516150,00.html[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
If you choose to do what GrimmFang said, on XPlay, even though they do say it on the website, many people overlook things. If you do this, your warranty with Sony will be void. They will usually fix things if it has to do with their cheap lenses and parts, free of charge - meaning, the only thing you have to pay for is for FedEx or UPS or another insured mail service to send the Playstation system to Sony with. In your letter, make sure you tell them to fix all the problems. They will send it back fixed. Don't void the warranty without calling them and telling them the problem first - it could be free in the first place.

Usually you pay S&H to Sony, then they do the same back to you. There are a few files over on GameFaqs on the DRE problem. Or type "Playstation 2" +"Disc Read Error", or some variation, in whatever search engine you prefer. But if your warranty's still in effect, I say send it to them.

ed~ the Limited Warranty is only for 90 days

• 2 weeks later...
I didnt read this topic, just kind of skimmed it, so forgive me if someone already said this.

The disc reading error is something easy to fix. I fixed mine in like 15 mins. Basically, you take the face off of your PS2, open up the casing off the laser section, where you put the disc, from there you will see a little white ridged wheel. Mark where the wheel originally is, then turn it 1/8 in whatever direction and then plug in your system. The thing about it is that the wheel angles the way the PS2 holds your disc and makes it so your discs arnt being read. By turning it, you fix the angle. To test this, turn on the system, put the cover to the laser back on and test your games. Test all forms of games(gold, silver, blue) then when you are happy, screw the ps2 up. if something doesnt work, turn the dial more. anyway, it is simple, you just have to have a real little screwdriver or a good enough knife to get the little screws. if you cant figure out why your ps2 face is not coming off, try taking out the rubber stops that are used as a sort of stand on the bottom. They hold screws there too. If you cant figure out what I am talking about, do a search on google, "PS2 disc reading error" and you should find a forum that goes into better detail.

Don't bother with any of this, honestly. Sony will fix DRE problems for free. It's not because they love us, it's because they got sued and this is part of the settlement. Obviously they don't speak of it much and will tell you to try other things to fix it first, but they will do it.

As long as the DRE isn't a result of your own abuse to the system, you should be fine. Contact them and find out.

that is good and all, but what happens when you have to wait a week or whatever for it to be fixed and come back. Plus, I wouldnt want to send my PS2 out in the mail. This is fast and easy, honestly. I never fixed a system in my life, I've never seen the inside of a system before I fixed my PS2. Thats how easy it is. After I fixed it, I played on it for like 4 hours.

Well you can either take the quick and dirty route that will only temporarily fix your problem, or you can be smart and mail your PS2 off to Sony. I mean, obviously it's your choice. People have to keep in mind that there is literally ten different things that can be causing these DRE problems... it's not just dust on a lens or a wheel problem. It can be things like unfocused lasers and voltage problems that you simply cannot fix yourself (usually anyway).

The thing would cost maybe $15 (with insurance, mind you) to send to Sony in the first place, and they rarely keep them for more than 2 weeks (3 to 4 is the max). I honestly think people could live without their PS2 for that long lol.

dude, did you even read my post, i said what the problem was. Just so we are clear, it is none of those things you said. It is simple, and it is easy. I got the information on how to fix it from someone who has fixed dozenss of PS2s. It does not temporarily fix the problem, it fixes the problem period. You can either send it in to Sony and spend $15 and waste 2 weeks or you can do it yourself spend nothing and have it ready in 15 mins. Either way you do it, the same problem is fixed.

If you think that's is the ONLY reason a PS2 will not play a disc, you're really mistaken. Obviously I read your post or I wouldn't even have been able to mention your wheel idea like I did. What did I say that shows I didn't read your post anyway? The fact that I don't totally agree with it? lol

Okay, fine, this may be a problem a good deal of the time. But what about the people who have the voltage in their PS2 screwed up causing the lens not to function properly? What about the people whose lens got unfocused a slight bit, causing them not to read certain types of discs (or even any discs)? This would do literally nothing to help. There's a hell of a lot more to it than you're willing to believe and I don't believe for a second that you've somehow stumbled on a miracle cure that fixes every last issue a PS2 DRE can have.

There's probably people here who still turn their PS2 off every time they're done with a game by flicking that switch in the back... I doubt those people could be trusted to open the PS2, then open the box around the DVD/CD drive and so forth.

Edit -- By the way I tried this on my brother's PS2 which stopped reading DVDs about a week ago (several OB people can back me up on that, so I'm not just trying to prove you wrong here lol)... and this did absolutely nothing.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]Well you can either take the quick and dirty route that will only temporary fix your problem, or you can be smart and mail your PS2 off to Sony. I mean, obviously it's your choice. People have to keep in mind that there is literally ten different things that can be causing these DRE problems... it's not just dust on a lens or a wheel problem. It can be things like unfocused lasers and voltage problems that you simply cannot fix yourself (usually anyway).

The thing would cost maybe $15 (with insurance, mind you) to send to Sony in the first place, and they rarely keep them for more than 2 weeks (3 to 4 is the max). I honestly think people could live without their PS2 for that long lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I have had quite a few problems with PS2s in the past. My first PS2 stopped reading discs for some odd reason (this was two and a half years ago or so), luckily I had a warranty so I was able to replace it. My previous PS2 started distorting scenes, skipping scenes, and eventually just stopped reading DVD?s and DVD games. I took it back to the GameStop I bought it from and the guy behind the counter said that he could fix it. He opened it up, dusted it off, messed with the wheel, and accomplished absolutely nothing. The PS2 was still having errors reading discs, so the counter person sent it back to Sony for me. About a week and a half later I came home and there was a new PS2 sitting at my backdoor, apparently it was easier for them to just send me a new system. Actually it was kind of cool because they sent me another controller (I didn?t ship back my original one). [/color]

the disc reading error is something that will happen to every PS2. this is because of the dial that angles the disc, there is no other reason. if your PS2 is just broken, thats a different story. if you try every kind of cd and nothing plays, it is the disc reading error glitch that only has one reason behind its malfunction.

so you tried it azazel, and it didnt work? well, for someone who wont go through the hastle of doing it yourself, it sure seems convinient that you would try it. i bet you didnt even test it before you put the cover back on. but you know what, you probably will say you did so that you can sound right. The problem with the disc reading error glitch would be fixed the same way i fixed it by sony themselves, so dont say it doesnt work, sony themselves use it.

EDIT-Thats awesome, a new ps2 every time yours breaks!

You're being really full of yourself over this. Stop stroking your ego with your apparent exact knowledge of the problem. DREs are caused by many issues, how much more must I say to prove it? There isn't one catch-all answer like you seem to think.

My brothers' PS2 has been screwing up for about two weeks now. Eventually it stopped reading DVD discs altogether, but it still reads CDs no problem. I've tried every one of the stupid tricks in here to get those discs to work, even ones not listed like that tape trick. I've not bothered with adjusting the voltage via the screws, as I don't want to burn the laser out and screw their chances of a free repair.

Since you posted your idea, I figured what the hell. I unscrewed it, dug out a tiny screwdriver to undo the DVD/CD box and did as you said. I closed it all up and put in Disgaea, Rachet and Clank 2 and Jak II. Guess what? None of them worked. What did I get? A Disc Read Error.

Forgive me for wanting to check it out considering how adamant you are about it supposedly working. Since I bothered, I must be a liar... nevermind the fact that I run this section, have a good reputation here and have no history of lying in the past.

You are being ridiculous. The issues I've brought up are directly related to a DRE considering they [i]make the message come up in the Browser in the first place[/i]. Whether or not that was the problem with the apparently infinite number of PS2s your friend has fixed is one thing, but it obviously doesn't cover every last DRE error.

I don't know why you seem to think I'm just coming after you to prove you wrong. Maybe your fix does work in some cases, but it definitely doesn't in all of them. If it doesn't work for me, that means my PS2 is just "broken" and my the DRE text I'm getting is just in my imagination? Same with Heaven's Cloud? Apparently we're just liars.