OtakuBoards

Disk Read error?

anime_guy

im not the one stroking their ego. im trying to help people out because i searched on forums when this happend to me. because someone decided to say somethign other than, "send it to sony", my ps2 is fixed. i wanted to help those people out. i may have come off to strong though, only because i was defensive when you started putting down what i had said. i just figured, "hey its worth a shot, right", but you came off to me as trying to prove i wasnt right at all. sure, there can be many problems, but from what i have been told and what i have done, the DRE starts slowly with you not being able to read one kind of disc. then it does into another disc, or maybe it doesnt, it all depends on where the dial is, thats what i was told and thats what i did. i am really really proud that i fixed my ps2, thats why i am so defensive over this. i love being able to fix stuff on my own, and i figured maybe someone might love fixing their own problems too. im sorry that it didnt work, but i didnt go into enough detail about it, and like i said, you should do a google search to find the same post i found. you may have done something different from me, or something. anyway, forget about it, i was rash.

for your brothers dvd problem, i have heard that the ps2's laser will eventually burn out or stop reading discs if you play too much dvds. i dont know if this is true, but i was told by someone who used to fix systems for a living. if that means anything.

I'm not stroking mine either... I mean, it's cool that it worked for you. I'm just trying to make the point that it simply doesn't work for every last case. I am assuming that you originally read this at Techtv.com since you now say you got it off a website (although originally you said it was from your friend who used this dozens of times...?), and even they don't claim it will always work.

I have a feeling the issue with my brothers' PS2 can be addressed by fixing those voltage screws I mentioned earlier. However, that doesn't mean my PS2 is simply "broken"... it still gets that lame Disc Read Error in the Browser. So obviously, there can be other issues.

Anyway, I'm done. I apologize for what was here earlier, but I guess we're both allowed our time to be annoyed heh. Since I know you read it, I figured I might as well just take it down and forget it. The past is history, so they say.

• 2 years later...
Guest mathU
When your Playstation will not read disks, a common problem is with the laser read depth that automatically (in theory) adjusts itself. Diferent types of media require different read depths.

Here is the fix from Playstation tech support:

[quote]
The PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system has an auto-diagnosis feature that automatically adjusts the settings to allow the best possible performance from the media (PlayStation(R)2 format software and/or DVD movies) you are attempting to use. You may want to try the auto diagnosis feature to update the settings when you experience difficulties playing the above mentioned media. Please note that the auto diagnosis feature will not improve playback quality for the original
PlayStation(R) format software titles.

==================================
To use the auto diagnosis feature:
==================================
1) You must be in the "main menu" screen of the PlayStation 2 console

2) Highlight "Browser" and press the "triangle button"

3) Select "Console" using the up and down directional buttons and press the "Triangle" button

4) Press the "X" button and highlight "On" using the up and down directional buttons; press the "X" button to confirm

5) Insert a disc. The console automatically starts the diagnosis

6) Press the "Circle" button two times to back out to the Browser Screen; highlight "Browser" and press the "X" button. Once in the Browser, press the "X" button to load the game.

Please note: The diagnosis setting automatically returns to "Off" (default
setting) when you press
the "Reset" button or start playing a PlayStation 2 format software title or DVD movie.

In addition, it is important to maintain your PlayStation 2 console by keeping the vents on the console free of dust. Because dust can accumulate in the vents on both the front and rear panels of the PlayStation 2 console, we recommend that you check the vents from time to time. After turning off your console, and unplugging it from the electrical outlet, you may remove any accumulated dust with the hose attachment of your vacuum cleaner or with a small handheld vacuum.

We also do not recommend the use of any type of lens cleaner. Doing so may actually cause more problems for your PlayStation 2 console. Instead, we only recommend that you clean your PlayStation and PlayStation 2 format software discs/DVD discs using lint-free "CD wipes" found at your local software stores. When cleaning your discs, we recommend starting at the inside circle, and wiping out to the edge in a straight line. We do not recommend wiping in a circle motion, as it may cause scratches on the disc.
[/quote]

Peace Out,
mathU

[url]http://www.hurricanedown.com[/url]
You don't have to be tone def to enjoy us, but it helps.

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]Ya know, it's things like this that make me and bullet-proof GameCube smile...

I'd suggest you don't try any crackpot home remedy that'll more than likely void the warrenty and make the situation worse. Send it into Sony. They're cheap but they're damned effeciant, so don't expect to miss it for more than 2 weeks (Note: 2 weeks is not a long time!). It shouldn't cost you anything so long as it wasn't broken by somthing you did (or didn't do). Hell, you might even get a brand-new PS2 for your trouble. [/COLOR][/FONT]

I seriously recomend buying a new one.Like James said the laser is garbage. I constanly had to take mine apart and tweak the laser. Your better of buying the new model which comes with a built in network adapter. Thats what I did im just hoping it stays good until PS3 arrives.