OtakuBoards

LoTR: The Return of the King

eleanor

[size=1] [spoiler]I do not think that the tomoato juice dribbling down Denethorn's chin [ew.] was meant to resemble blood, but who knows? I think Pippin's song just showed what was happening on the eve of the battle, so it showed people riding into battle and sorts. *shrugs* Maybe it was supposed to be symbolism, maybe it wasn't.

*shuffles* I was wondering if the Ents were going to come throughout the whole battle. >_>

And for the gay thing, we're just joking around. It really does look like they're going to kiss. [You have to admit that.][/spoiler][/size]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for a slight change of subject. The man who plays Saruman (Christopher Lee) was apparently very upset that all his scenes--[spoiler]including the part where Grima kills him[/spoiler]--were cut. I didn't even realize this until after I walked out of the theater.

I [i]was[/i] a wee bit disappointed that Peter Jackson altered one of my favorite parts of RotK: when Pippin finds the palantir and Saruman proves unable to stand up to Gandalf's challenge. It makes for a really exciting and dramatic couple of pages, and I'd been looking forward to seeing it in movie form. Ah, well--perhaps it'll show up in the extended DVD.

So here's my question. In Return of the King, is the lack of Saruman's evil (albeit somewhat impotent, given that the ents have destroyed all his handiwork) presence a good thing or a bad thing?

~Dagger~

Well, I don't know, Dagger. Of course I was disappointed; the movie lacked the sophisticated kind of evil he brought to it. But if the arguement is that there wasn't enough time for him, then they could have trimmed the battle scenes, [spoiler] Pelennor Fields in particular seemed a little lengthy, especially some of the Oilphant tricks with Legolas, even though they were quite enjoyable. [/spoiler]

They might have also trimmed some of the Frodo parts. After all, he may be the Ringbearer, but LOTR is not only a story of the Ring itself, but every person it affects in Middle Earth. A couple of Sam's scuffles with Gollum could have been cut in favor of a Saruman scene.

I was also looking forward to that scene where Pippin discovers the Palantir. The way they did it was too quick, [spoiler] with him finding it on the ground. [/spoiler]

[size=1] Peter Jackson originally planned to put [spoiler] Saruman's death scene by Grima Wormtongue in the second movie, decided to put it in the third, and then decided it was old buisness and cut it.[/spoiler] I am a bit diassapointed by it, but I don't care for it much. There was already many events going throughout the movie, and it was great as it was. I'm not sure whether the scene would be a good additional or some random part that doesn't do anything.

Some people don't even know about it, and the movie is fine as it is. But again...since the whole movie is based around Good VS. Evil, I guess that scene would portray how evil and greedy people can get. >_> Iunno. It does leave some fans hanging and wondering what happened to the old wizard.[/size]

Well, I for one cannot read the books. The books just seem to side track way to much to me, I read all of The Hobbit (Which I really enjoyed) and half of the Fellowship before i finally snapped, so, I never knew that [spoiler]Saruman was supposed to die[/spoiler]

I really just watch the movies and enjoy them.
so... I have a question, How does [spoiler]Pippin REALLY find the palantir? Like, what happened in the book? [/spoiler]

K.K.C., I [i]love[/i] your new banner. Great stuff.

[spoiler]Actually, Pippin's encounter with the palantir takes place toward the middle of The Two Towers. After the Ents finish destroying Saruman's domain, Gandalf marches up to the foot of Orthanc and demands that he reveal himself. Grima Wormtongue (Saruman's servant) scurries off to fetch him, and soon the company below (which includes Pippin, Merry, Theoden, and the dynamic trio--Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli) hears a beautiful, enchanting voice. This is, of course, Saruman attempting to persuade them that he's actually on the side of good. He nearly succeeds, but Theoden resists the wizard's arguments, and Gandalf then proceeds to kick major ***.

The following passage is my favorite part of this particular scene:

"'Come back, Saruman!..... I did not give you leave to go,' said Gandalf sternly. 'I have not finished. You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable. You might still have turned away from folly and evil, and have been of service. But you choose to stay and gnaw the ends of your old plots. Stay then! But I warn you, you will not easily come out again. Not unless the dark hands of the East stretch out to take you. Saruman!' he cried, and his voice grew in power and authority. 'Behold, I am not Gandalf the Grey, whom you betrayed. I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death. You have no colour now, and I cast you from the order and from the Council.'

He raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a cold clear voice. 'Saruman, your staff is broken.' There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet."

As Saruman crawls away, defeated, Wormtongue spitefully hurls the palantir from an upper window, unaware of its true value. Pippin runs after it and picks it up.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

Thanks Dagger, for both knowledge and banner comp. (props go to Hack Helba).

[spoiler]I think it would have made the movie be not such a cliff hanger if they had put in what happened to Saruman. It should have been either near the end of the Two Towers or at the beggining of Return of the King and how ever he died. (Grima kills him?) It would have answered alot of question to those, like myself, who don't read the books because the first one goes on forever. [/spoiler]

I just checked out the list of songs on the soundtract and they do have the song that Pippin (Billy Boyd) sings, it is called "The Steward of Gondor". Im sure that title makes us all happy ^^.

Yes, I've finally watched the movie. I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings. I would say the Return of the King was a breath taking movie. It would definitly win an award. Sure enough, it was a really long movie, but it was worth it in ending the whole chapter.

I cried during the movie. I always get emotional in any movie with drama; that's just how I am and can't help it. All the charaters were great. I just love the elf; he's so cute. It's just like my friend said when he saw the movie; it's out of this world big time!:D

WARNING: I'm not putting the spoiler tags in this post because it is annoying for the people who have seen the movie and if you haven't seen it yet it's pointless reading this far through the thread since it is just people saying they're favourite parts of the movie

------------------------------------------------------

Firstly I would just like to point out something about the Witch King of Angmar and Eowyn's battle.

It had nothing to do with girl power or some really cool line. Although Eowyn is a reall good character and not to knock her or anything but, her killing the Witch King wasn't to do with her strength it was the fact that she was a woman that she was able to kill him because no [i]man[/i] could kill him.

If you want to know where that originally comes from read the play [i]Macbeth[/i] by William Shakespeare.

----------------------------------------------

With Pippin finding the Palantir it was stupid that they cut out the scene where Wormtoungue throws it at them because it lefts unexplained why such and dangerous and valuable possesion of Saruman's is left lying in the mud when the Ents hadn't breached Saruman's keep, so how did it get outside?

Also they missed a vital thing with Denethor. In the book Denethor had another one of the Palantir which explains his insanity and reluctance to enter into battle with Sauron.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm getting carried away. I'm like that with movies made from books, I always compare them and it ruins the movie for me. Like all those Michael Crichton books that were made into films.

I enjoyed the film however, it was a brilliant ending to the trilogy, My only problem with it was not it's not fault but I kind of wish I hadn't read the books because it somewhat ruined it for me comparing the book and movie.

Did anyone else have that problem?

~TUN

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Unholy Newt [/i]
[B]Firstly I would just like to point out something about the Witch King of Angmar and Eowyn's battle.

It had nothing to do with girl power or some really cool line. Although Eowyn is a reall good character and not to knock her or anything but, her killing the Witch King wasn't to do with her strength it was the fact that she was a woman that she was able to kill him because no [i]man[/i] could kill him.

If you want to know where that originally comes from read the play [i]Macbeth[/i] by William Shakespeare. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Umm. . are you sure about that? I really think that it WAS NOT just the fact that she was a woman that she killed the witchking. I mean, Merry stabbed him in the back, so I don't think that was it. . I have not read the books, so I can not say for certain. While I am not saying that the only reason that she killed him was because she was a woman, I think that it was pretty obvious that she was going to kill him. I mean, all that she suffered in being a woman in a male dominated society. . In The Two Towers, she had to stay in the cave guarding the women and children. She also had to lead them to Helms Deep when the Warg Riders attacked. . So, it was pretty obvious to me that she needed to have some major victory in the battle to save Middle Earth. . . That is just my opinion. . I could be WAAAAYYYYY off. . but that's just my thoughts. . Oh well. .I still need to read the books. . ^_^ Have a good Christmas Break, and a very Pippin Christmas. . (friend told me that). . just sort of stuck. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Peter Jackson originally planned to put [spoiler] Saruman's death scene by Grima Wormtongue in the second movie, decided to put it in the third, and then decided it was old buisness and cut it.[/spoiler] I am a bit diassapointed by it, but I don't care for it much. There was already many events going throughout the movie, and it was great as it was. I'm not sure whether the scene would be a good additional or some random part that doesn't do anything.

Some people don't even know about it, and the movie is fine as it is. But again...since the whole movie is based around Good VS. Evil, I guess that scene would portray how evil and greedy people can get. >_> Iunno. It does leave some fans hanging and wondering what happened to the old wizard.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

From pictures I had seen before the Two Towers was released, Peter Jackson had planned to [spoiler]kill off Saruman with him falling from Isenguard onto a spiked-wheel on the ground that the Ents tore away from the many wood burning devices around Isenguard. I saw an actual picture on the theonering.net of Christopher Lee impaled on a spike, but because that was a while ago, I don't know if they still have it up, but they should o.0 You may have to do a little searching though. I was really disappointed to not have seen Saruman and Gandalf battle it out with heated words lol. I was looking forward to it. Sigh[/spoiler].

As for those of you who did have bad experiences with audience reactions, >.< when I was at the midnight showing when it first came out, a whole frickin row of fan-girls sat right in front of me and my cousin, all dressed as Elves and Hobbits, trying to speak Elvish o.0 That wasn't what irritated me (since dressing up is kinda fun LOL); it was the fact that they would shriek every single time Orlando Bloom was on screen. AHH, okay when FOTR first came out, yeah I thought he was gorgeous, but I truly stopped because it's girls like those who ruin it for me. It was as if none of the other characters mattered except for Legolas, but did anyone else seem to notice that they hardly gave him any lines other than to state the obvious. Like when Aragorn was doing his little speech about going to the Black Gates, Legolas would say something useless like, "A diversion!" T_T Really, most of his lines didn't matter, and it annoyed me to no end that the girls thought he was the greatest thing to ever grace the screen. o.0 He'd lift a finger and they'd shriek as if they'd just witnessed the best part to the movie.

They also ruined another part that almost gave me chills, but due to their squealing, I couldn't focus as much as I wanted. Right when Pippin started to sing, they were like, "OMG, Billy can sing! Ohh Billy I love you!" T_T I nearly missed out on it altogether if the people sitting next to me didn't shush them. Good thing I got to hear him a lot better the 2nd time I went to see the movie, and I have to say, his singing deeply moving and such a powerful element that added to the alternating scenes of Faramir charging into Osgiliath and Denethor sloppily eating his meal.

I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if only their shrieks didn't keep shaking me out of Middle Earth and back into the real world. I was trying to lose myself in the story, but AHHHH!!! *shakes fist at shrieky fangirls*

Also the people sitting behind me were the exact opposites. I overheard one of them say, "Dooood, did you know this film was based on a book? Whoa, I never even knew there were books about Lord of the Rings until the 1st movie came out!" T_T AHH. That's just too sad. Sigh -_-'

~Haruno Sakura

• 2 weeks later...
I really loved the movie!!! Sure I almost got kicked out for fighting with some kindergarten girl... HER FAULT but after she left it was great! I loved the long movie.... i just hate how the trilogy has ended and it is over. They will remake it when i am 50 though:P

Overall I loved the movie

I thought the books were ok, but kinda complicated to understand. If i didn't know any better i would be drooling staring at the page for hours straight. but i got the dictionary and i wuz on top of everythin.

The movie was Great! Some people complained on how it didn't end for a while though. A lot of people in the theater clapped when the girl*forgot her name* chopped off the dragons head. *clapps* That was pretty tight. Gimli was also funny, as usual, and legolas wuz awesome with the action. Aragorn was pretty good too. the movie was an all-around best.