OtakuBoards

LoTR: The Return of the King

eleanor

[size=1] Decided to make a thread about this movie, since it's probably the most anticipated movie of the year. ^_~

I'm very, [i]very[/i] excited about watching this movie when it comes out, and I'm sure it'll be even better than the The Two Towers. I watched a special preview of it on the Special Features disk of the LoTR: TTT, and it looks awesome. I really wish it would win best picture and the Oscars, even though the chance is slim to none. *sighs* Oh well. ^_^;; Even though LoTR is probably the best trilogy ever made...instead of each movie getting worse, it gets better.[/size]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think that Return of the King has a fairly good chance of winning Best Picture. Lord knows that Master and Commander certainly won't....

This is the Academy's last chance to reward a franchise which is both massively popular and critically acclaimed. If RotK is as amazing as it's rumored to be--if it really does outshine FotR and TTT--then I can't think of any film that might possibly stand in its way.

~Dagger~

I've been thrilled w/ the first two movies and I'm jumpin' up and down to see RotK. It was my fave of the books, and it really should be well done. *crosses fingers*
I heard that they're cuttin' the [spoiler]Faramir and Eowyn romance[/spoiler] 'til the extended DVD... *sniff* But, I think I'll be able to handle it... lol
I really think the first 2 were Best Picture worthy, but apparently, not everyone agrees w/ my movie taste... I really don't get it... :confused: :laugh:
~art~

I have been counting down the days till ROTK comes out. I bought the DVD to The Two Towers a while back and for some reason I have really gotten back into it lately. While on Thanksgiving break, I watched it 2 or 3 times. It was a little sad though. I mean that by how Aragon loves that other girl now too. So sad. I swear I could have cried the first time I saw it and they were "separating."

I really do think that these 3 movies will be our generations ( and maybe the next's) Star Wars saga. It will be that important and loved. I know I already feel that way about it.

My sister has been counting down the days until RotK gets in the theater ever since she learned the date it comes out. Of course, she reminds me of it daily, heh.

I'm really looking forward to the movie. I felt that Fellowship was more story driven (though, there was a ton of action in the latter half of the movie) and Two Towers was more action-oriented; I'm eager to see if Return of the King can strike a balance between great storyline and great action (as the Lord of the Rings book trilogy did so well).

And damned if the scene with [spoiler]Shelob[/spoiler] isn't going to be kickass :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Artemis [/i]
[B]I heard that they're cuttin' the [spoiler]Faramir and Eowyn romance[/spoiler] 'til the extended DVD... *sniff* But, I think I'll be able to handle it... lol
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]WHAT???? No they are not! That was my favorite part of Return of the King...that makes me so sad...Oh well, I know the movie will be great and glorified, just as much as the book was. I think it truly will outshine the first two. ^_^[/color][/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Haze_Gundam006[/i]
[b]It was a little sad though. I mean that by how Aragon loves that other girl now too. So sad. I swear I could have cried the first time I saw it and they were "separating." [/b][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Obviously you haven't read the novels. [spoiler]Aragorn is still in love with Arwen, and she doesn't leave him. She stays so that they two of them can be together. Eowyn tells Aragorn that she's in love with him, but he turns her down. While in Gondor, she falls in love with the injured Faramir and the two of them get married. And then we all know about Aragorn and Arwen, and if we don't, I'll just leave it at that.[/spoiler] So see, it's so much nicer to actually have read the novels and know what is going to happen instead of having all these false ideas.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]Obviously you haven't read the novels. [spoiler]Aragorn is still in love with Arwen, and she doesn't leave him. She stays so that they two of them can be together. Eowyn tells Aragorn that she's in love with him, but she turns him down. While in Gondor, she falls in love with the injured Faramir and the two of them get married. And then we all know about Aragorn and Arwen, and if we don't, I'll just leave it at that.[/spoiler] So see, it's so much nicer to actually have read the novels and know what is going to happen instead of having all these false ideas.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, yes. Very well put. Although the trilogy isn't exactly a love story, I really enjoyed what little romance it contained. I thought that Tolkien's portrayal of the relationships between [spoiler]Aragorn and Arwen, Aragorn and Eowyn, and Faramir and Eowyn[/spoiler] was exceptionally well written.

~Dagger~

Actually, I didn't think that Tolkien's depiction of the relationship between [spoiler]Aragorn and Arwen[/spoiler] was that well-done in the books at all. Maybe I just missed something, but I didn't see too much interaction between the two, and if my brother hadn't spoiled it for me I think I would've been pretty surprised when that relationship happened at the end. Which is why it wasn't too surprising when they put that whole scene in the first movie with those two characters that's not in the books, I think they wanted to develop that relationship more so it didn't strike people who hadn't read the books as completely random.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to ROTK as well, of course.

The language used to depict [spoiler]Eowyn and Faramir's[/spoiler] relationship is more personal and generally more intimate than that found in situations relating to Aragorn and Arwen. Most readers would probably have an easier time relating to them than to the latter couple. [spoiler]Eowyn and Faramir[/spoiler] simply seem more human--which they are. Though strong and brave, they're ultimately ordinary people, whereas Arwen is an elf and Aragorn a hero of epic proportions.

Arwen and Aragorn's relationship, too, is epic in nature, and written using grand language which might be better suited to describing battle scenes and such. I really enjoyed reading the portion of their story which was relegated to RotK's appendices--but I agree, within the book there isn't much beyond elaborate descriptions of Arwen's beauty, and a few subtle hints regarding Aragorn's feelings. Perhaps I just like the idea of their love.

~Dagger~

[size=1] Yeah, the relationship between [spoiler] Aragorn and Arwen[/spoiler] is pretty under-developed in the books. I think all the romance is. *shrugs*

If you want to know what's gettin cut out of the movie...:

[spoiler] [b]Houses of Healing[/b]: When Eowyn and Faramir are together in this place and Aragorn heals Eowyn. Peter Jackson thought that the movie was straying away from Frodo and Sam for too long, and cut it. It'll be on DVD.

[b]Saruman: Jackson filmed a scene for "The Two Towers" where Grima Wormtongue kills Saruman, and then decided to bump it to The Return of the King. Then he cut it because he felt it was old buisness. It'll be on DVD, once again.

[b]The Scouring of the Shire[/b]: When the hobbits go back to the Shire, kill some enemies, and restore order. Jackson never liked that part of the book, and never shot it at all.[/spoiler]

The information above was taken from NEWSWEEK, so I'm pretty sure it's official.[/size]

I have to say, I don't mind that much that the [spoiler]"Scouring of the Shire"[/spoiler] part you mentioned is getting cut out. I never really liked that part either. I mean, it made very good sense, and prevented the cookie-cutter too-[spoiler]happy[/spoiler] ending that probably would've made the books too corny ... But I like corniness myself :p.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Yeah, the relationship between [spoiler] Aragorn and Arwen[/spoiler] is pretty under-developed in the books. I think all the romance is. *shrugs*

If you want to know what's gettin cut out of the movie...:

[spoiler] [b]Houses of Healing[/b]: When Eowyn and Faramir are together in this place and Aragorn heals Eowyn. Peter Jackson thought that the movie was straying away from Frodo and Sam for too long, and cut it. It'll be on DVD.

[b]Saruman: Jackson filmed a scene for "The Two Towers" where Grima Wormtongue kills Saruman, and then decided to bump it to The Return of the King. Then he cut it because he felt it was old buisness. It'll be on DVD, once again.

[b]The Scouring of the Shire[/b]: When the hobbits go back to the Shire, kill some enemies, and restore order. Jackson never liked that part of the book, and never shot it at all.[/spoiler]

The information above was taken from NEWSWEEK, so I'm pretty sure it's official.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]About the Houses of Healing, it really irritates me that it would get cut out. I guess that what Peter Jackson doesn't realize it that novels aren't ALWAYS about Frodo and the ring. It's a story about EVERYONE'S struggles and everyone's quest, Frodo just being the lead character. I don't know, it just bothers me to cut out something that I really liked...

And to cut of the Scouring of the Shire, well, whatever they want to do. But I feel that it too is necessary to convey the extent that the evil had spread. I liked that part of the book, I thought it was pretty neat. Oh well.

And as for the aspect of the romance, I myself am a hopeless romantic, so I thought it was wonderful that it was actually included in the novels. Not as descriptive as I would have liked, the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn was still beautiful nonetheless. [And tragic, too...] I hope that at least that much was included in the conclusion of the trilogy.[/color][/size]

[color=#006699]I [i]have not[/i] read the novels. Which, in a way is good. I can't really be dissapointed about how well the book was translated into a movie. Or, if anything was left out. I do, however, plan on reading them over Christmas break, so that'll work out.

Something I'm [i]really[/i] angry about is that I've still yet to see TTT. x_x I'm really bad about watching movies. I'll see a preview a month before it's out and nearly die of exitement. Then I'll see a preview of the same movie, but it's coming to DVD. And I'll start saving money...basically I hide whatever money I have somewhere I wont remember for a while, like in a DVD case. Anyway, by the time I find that, I've forgotten again and spend it on a CD or something. I'm planning on either buying TTT over the weekend or asking for the Extended Version for Christmas.

As a whole I'm very exited about the movie, but I'll probably forget. Someone remind or something. ;p[/color]

Edit: Here I am...like 6 months later...and I still have not seen it. o_O;

[COLOR=firebrick]I might get nuked for admitting this, but I read the whole first book and then skipped to the last 4-5 pages in the third one.
I can remember nothing from the first book... [i]*hides behind printer*[/i]

[COLOR=darkblue]I figured that since they were making "changes" to the movie, they might as well have kept Boromir.
His death was so "perfect", [SIZE=1]weakness, betrayal, atonement, nighty-night[/Size], but imagine what he could've done. Where he could've gone with himself and his land/his people, had he miraculously lived. [/COLOR]

Since I know nothing of what is to happen,[SIZE=1] except for Frodo[/size], I can enjoy the movie for what it is.
A movie that happens to be inspired by an awesome story.

- Mimmi [/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mimmi [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkblue]I figured that since they were making "changes" to the movie, they might as well have kept Boromir.
His death was so "perfect", [SIZE=1]weakness, betrayal, atonement, nighty-night[/Size], but imagine what he could've done. Where he could've gone with himself and his land/his people, had he miraculously lived.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

It's a nice thought, but [spoiler]had Peter Jackson decided to keep Boromir alive, I'm sure that he would have been lynched by a rampaging mob of angry purists. Anyway, Boromir's death was far from pointless--it served to redeem his weakness, and showed how Aragorn would be forced to grapple with himself before going on to achieve greatness. In The Two Towers and Return of the King, Faramir and Aragorn assume the roles which a living Boromir might have ended up playing.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]It's a nice thought, but [spoiler]had Peter Jackson decided to keep Boromir alive, I'm sure that he would have been lynched by a rampaging mob of angry purists. Anyway, Boromir's death was far from pointless--it served to redeem his weakness, and showed how Aragorn would be forced to grapple with himself before going on to achieve greatness. In The Two Towers and Return of the King, Faramir and Aragorn assume the roles which a living Boromir might have ended up playing.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=firebrick]
I hope you don't think I thought that Boromir's death was pointless ?
Boromir was truly an important part in the fellowships journey [SIZE=1](outer and inner)[/size], he put things in perspective and was in some way a catalyst.

[i]*reads previous post*[/i] hmm, maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was...
I meant that his death was the [b]exact opposite [/b]of pointless. It indeed served great purpose, I am just sad that his journey had to end so soon after it had begun.

[spoiler]It's good to hear that Faramir will carry on Boromir's legacy ; )[/spoiler]

- Mimmi[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shroom [/i]
[B]I'm planning on either buying TTT over the weekend or asking for the Extended Version for Christmas. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, if you want the Extended Version, you better get them to go out and buy it now, because once it gets closer to Christmas, you wont be able to find it on shelves ANYWHERE! Gah, I remember last year my mad scramble to seven different stores around town to find the extended version of the Fellowship. Luckily, a friend of mine works at Media Play, so he miraculously hooked me up with the last copy, one that was hidden away from consumer's view.[/color][/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1[/i]
[b]It's a nice thought, [spoiler]but had Peter Jackson decided to keep Boromir alive, I'm sure that he would have been lynched by a rampaging mob of angry purists. Anyway, Boromir's death was far from pointless--it served to redeem his weakness, and showed how Aragorn would be forced to grapple with himself before going on to achieve greatness. In The Two Towers and Return of the King, Faramir and Aragorn assume the roles which a living Boromir might have ended up playing.[/spoiler][/b][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I'm with Dagger on this one. Boromir had to die, it's just a part of life, heh. If he had stayed alive, it would have changed the entire movies around. The reason that Frodo decided to detach himself from the group was BECAUSE Boromir was killed and he didn't want to endanger the lives of the rest of the fellowship. [spoiler]And then, we would never have gotten to meet Faramir, and he could have never have fallen in love with Eowyn...[/spoiler]Ah yes, keeping him alive would have messed up the entire cycle of Lord of the Rings.[/color][/size]

[color=violet]I'm definately going to end up seeing it. My husband gets up here on the 19th so it's pretty much a given.
It's also pretty much a given that's it's going to be a bit bloody ne? I saw the Followship of the Rings with a friend of mine and had no problems. I saw THe Twin Towers with my husband and I hid my eyes in his shoulder for parts of it. Okay, so I get scared easily.
I'm just glad that this one is coming out before he leaves for Iraq. Yep, I'm gonna go see this.
Of course I have to admit I've never read any of the books:worried: *hides behind her giant snowman*[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I really want to see this, but it's reportedly almost three and a half hours long. I don't know if I can sit still for that long. [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]...never mind the folks who want to watch all three at a stretch...

I'm looking forward to it, in a mild sort of way. I absolutely [i]adored[/i] the books when I was younger (haven't had time to read them all through since sixth grade...), but I'm rather distressed that so many other people are suddenly excited about Tolkien. Call it professional detachment, self-control, or bitterness, but I'm not nearly as excited about the movies as most people I know. I enjoy them, though.

I thought the [i]Scouring of the Shire[/i] was an excellent ending for the trilogy. It showed how close to home the "evil" had gone, and it was heartaching that the poor hobbits had work more to do, when they thought they had been so close to home and rest. I always thought it added a good element to the story..

Beh. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I'm looking forward to it, in a mild sort of way. I absolutely [i]adored[/i] the books when I was younger (haven't had time to read them all through since sixth grade...), but I'm rather distressed that so many other people are suddenly excited about Tolkien. Call it professional detachment, self-control, or bitterness, but I'm not nearly as excited about the movies as most people I know. I enjoy them, though.[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I've been a Tolkien fan since I was in first grade, when my uncle bought me a copy of [u]The Hobbit[/u]. It feels a little strange to discuss the movies with people who haven't actually read the original trilogy--but I'm still happy that LotR is so popular. It may not necessarily be a good thing, but at least there won't be a shortage of fellow enthusiasts for many years to come.

~Dagger~

Any fan of anything good usually goes through this. I've had it happen to me with countless bands in the past. As soon as the hype around the movies and their subsequent DVD releases dies down, everything will go back to normal.

I think we all know that most of the people interested now didn't even touch the books beforehand. At the very least, it's nice that it's all doing so well. I remember reading that long ago the books ran the risk of pretty much falling off the face of the earth, but they regained popularity due to a well timed republishing. So everything goes in a circle, I guess.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]I know what you mean. I've been a Tolkien fan since I was in first grade, when my uncle bought me a copy of [u]The Hobbit[/u]. It feels a little strange to discuss the movies with people who haven't actually read the original trilogy--but I'm still happy that LotR is so popular. It may not necessarily be a good thing, but at least there won't be a shortage of fellow enthusiasts for many years to come.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Yes, it's only normal, and I'm the same way about all of it. That's why I'm so irritated about all of these "anime fans" that have sprung up since CN's airing of decent series.

I think it's fun to have read the novels and been a fan for a long time when all these other people only know the movie. It makes me feel superior, heh. I know that's wrong, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=firebrick]One thing that I've wanted to ask those who are [b]Tolkien Experts[/b] [size=1][i]*bows in their glory-ness*[/size][/i] for a long time is:[color=darkblue]
[i]How well do the actors depict the characters they are playing ?[/i][/color]

And something not related, but still in a way:
[color=darkblue][i]The people who discover and educate themselves about Lord of The Rings [b]after[/b] the movies and are genuinely making an effort to learn about its universe.... are they still considered to be riding the hype-wave ?[/i][/color]

- Mimmi[/COLOR]