OtakuBoards

Is your son a hacker?

Nate

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in the lives of my six children. I encourage them to join team sports. I attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on the premises. I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say I'm a model parent. My children have never failed to make me proud, and I can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family in the USA.

Two years ago, my wife Carol and I decided that our children's education would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this end, we bought our children a brand new Compaq to learn with. The kids had a lot of fun using the handful of application programs we'd bought, such as Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft's Word, and my wife and I were pleased that our gift was received so well. Our son Peter was most entranced by the device, and became quite a pro at surfing the net. When Peter began to spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Carol advised me to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Cindy, charged into the living room one night to blurt out: "Peter is a computer hacker!"

As you can imagine, I was amazed. A computer hacker in my own house! I began to monitor my son's habits, to make certain that Cindy wasn't just telling stories, as she is prone to doing at times.

After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking, I confronted Peter with the evidence. I'm afraid to say, this was the only time I have ever been truly disappointed in one of my children. We raised them to be honest and to have integrity, and Peter betrayed the principles we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his activities. His denials continued for hours, and in the end, I was left with no choice but to ban him from using the computer until he is old enough to be responsible for his actions.

After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of knowledge over those few days regarding hackers. It's only right that I provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of hacking. Perhaps other parents will be able to steer their sons back onto the straight and narrow before extreme measures need to be employed.

To this end, I have decided to publish the top ten signs that your son is a hacker. I advise any parents to read this list carefully and if their son matches the profile, they should take action. A smart parent will first try to reason with their son, before resorting to groundings, or even spanking. I pride myself that I have never had to spank a child, and I hope this guide will help other parents to put a halt to their son's misbehaviour before a spanking becomes necessary.

1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?

Most American families use trusted and responsible Internet Service Providers, such as AOL. These providers have a strict "No Hacking" policy, and take careful measures to ensure that your internet experience is enjoyable, educational and above all legal. If your child is becoming a hacker, one of his first steps will be to request a change to a more hacker friendly provider.

I would advise all parents to refuse this request. One of the reasons your son is interested in switching providers is to get away from AOL's child safety filter. This filter is vital to any parent who wants his son to enjoy the internet without the endangering him through exposure to "adult" content. It is best to stick with the protection AOL provides, rather than using a home-based solution. If your son is becoming a hacker, he will be able to circumvent any home-based measures with surprising ease, using information gleaned from various hacker sites.

2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine offers to "download" one of the hacker applications. If this happens, it is time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing him with a grounding.

3. Has your child asked for new hardware?

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

4. Does your child read hacking manuals?

If you pay close attention to your son's reading habits, as I do, you will be able to determine a great deal about his opinions and hobbies. Children are at their most impressionable in the teenage years. Any father who has had a seventeen year old daughter attempt to sneak out on a date wearing make up and perfume is well aware of the effect that improper influences can have on inexperienced minds.

There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.

If you find any of these hacking manuals in your child's possession, confiscate them immediately. You should also petition local booksellers to remove these titles from their shelves. You may meet with some resistance at first, but even booksellers have to bow to community pressure.

5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines, and using it to tie up vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately. The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

6. Does your son use Quake?

Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use of various firearms. Many hackers develop anti-social tendencies due to the use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and at school.

If your son is using Quake, you should make hime understand that this is not acceptable to you. You should ensure all the firearms in your house are carefully locked away, and have trigger locks installed. You should also bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

As a child enters the electronic world of hacking, he may become disaffected with the real world. He may lose the ability to control his actions, or judge the rightness or wrongness of a course of behaviour. This will manifest itself soonest in the way he treats others. Those whom he disagrees with will be met with scorn, bitterness, and even foul language. He may utter threats of violence of a real or electronic nature.

Even when confronted, your son will probably find it difficult to talk about this problem to you. He will probably claim that there is no problem, and that you are imagining things. He may tell you that it is you who has the problem, and you should "back off" and "stop smothering him." Do not allow yourself to be deceived. You are the only chance your son has, even if he doesn't understand the situation he is in. Keep trying to get through to him, no matter how much he retreats into himself.

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

9. Has your son radically changed his appearance?

If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a hacker on your hands. Hackers tend to dress in bright, day-glo colors. They may wear baggy pants, bright colored shirts and spiky hair dyed in bright colors to match their clothes. They may take to carrying "glow-sticks" and some wear pacifiers around their necks. (I have no idea why they do this) There are many such hackers in schools today, and your son may have started to associate with them. If you notice that your son's group of friends includes people dressed like this, it is time to think about a severe curfew, to protect him from dangerous influences.

10. Is your son struggling academically?

If your son is failing courses in school, or performing poorly on sports teams, he may be involved in a hacking group, such as the infamous "Otaku" hacker association. Excessive time spent on the computer, communicating with his fellow hackers may cause temporary damage to the eyes and brain, from the electromagnetic radiation. This will cause his marks to slip dramatically, particularly in difficult subjects such as Math, and Chemistry. In extreme cases, over-exposure to computer radiation can cause schizophrenia, meningitis and other psychological diseases. Also, the reduction in exercise may cause him to lose muscle mass, and even to start gaining weight. For the sake of your child's mental and physical health, you must put a stop to his hacking, and limit his computer time drastically.

I encourage all parents to read through this guide carefully. Your child's future may depend upon it. Hacking is an illegal and dangerous activity, that may land your child in prison, and tear your family apart. It cannot be taken too seriously.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here: [url]http://www.adequacy.org/public/index.html[/url]

I cannot see how having Flash is benig a hacker, wearing loose clothes, spyking hair, or not using AOL is being a hacker.

Does anyone have views on this article or others that you have found or seen? I do not beleive the nerve of this person. But that's me.
~`(Nate)`~

If that's true, I'm indeed a hacker, arrest me.

Flash is just a player for media content on the web, unless he is of course referring to the crack to make the creation tool flash illegal.

Comet Cursor is just an annoying little ***** of a toolbar, that isn't a havckign tool at all lol. (I'm gunna h4c|< ur computer wif a web search t00lb4r!)
Same wiht BonziBuddy, how is a (albeit simply annoying) singing and dancing purple gorilla a hacking tool? it's spyware, that spys on the person running it, and only the person running it. Thank god we got rid of it, If I heard it sing Dai-Zee Dai-Zee one more time, i would have screamed and died.

I fail to see how these tools and adware are "hacking tools" perhaps whoever compiled that "caveat emptor-ish" list just happened to leave out true hacking software accidentaly.

Wow, this guy is almost as bad as the good folks over at Objective. According to this guy, I'M a hacker. Let's see.... I've got Comet Cursor, Flash, and I NEED UPGRADES ON MY COMPUTER!!! And I'm also a part of that dangerous Otaku organization... ;) :devil: :demon: Wow. See, this is what happens when you OVER-RAISE your kids like this guy obviously did. Plus, he believed that a little kid knew what was going on with the computer. *sheesh*

[COLOR=green]This threads strike me as a topic that will evoke a strong response from OtakuBoards's community, which mostly lives at home under the control of parents, and will result in the usual outpouring of teen angst/anger/rebellion against parents.

Meh, may as well chip in my predictably negative response.

[B]1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs? [/B]

AOL stinks. That?s putting it mildly. If you don?t trust your child?s judgment, don?t let them on the computer in the first place.

[B]2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing? [/B] There are far more legitimate uses for programs such as Flash than illegal/malicious purposes.

[B]3. Has your child asked for new hardware? [/B]

There?s such a thing as progress. Your computer will be obsolete in a few years, and yes, you will need a new one. Get used to it.

[B]4. Does your child read hacking manuals?[/B]

These books are hacking manuals? What are you smoking??

[B]5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day? [/B]

I have a thirty-minute time limit on my computer each day. It doesn?t stop me. [B]You cannot outsmart your children, who are much more tech-savvy than you. If you don?t trust them, get them a typewriter.[/B]

[B]6. Does your son use Quake? [/B]

This is the most ignorant argument of all. There are such things as games, people like to have fun. I don?t play Quake, but I?d bet the author would feel the same way about [B]Star Wars Galaxies[/B]. These are fun games to play, and I laugh at anyone who thinks they are breeding grounds for hackers.

[B]7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behavior? [/B]

It?s called puberty. Your child?s hormones are acting up, and they are trying to assert their independence by challenging your authority. Deal with it. It?s part of growing up.

[B]8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?[/B]

Never heard of it. No comment here.

[B]9. Has your son radically changed his appearance? [/B]

This is now a sure sign of being a hacker eh? Go into a public high school, and look around. You?ll drop dead if this concerns you. Teenagers dress abnormally as part of their expression of independence, in between begging their parents for more money.

[B]10. Is your son struggling academically? [/B]

Maybe he?s lazy. Maybe he?s not as smart as you think. Perhaps you?re such a terrible parent he can?t get anything done anymore without you looking over his shoulder. Good grief, get a grip. Study with your child, if that?s what it takes. I?d bet hacking isn?t the problem, and in fact most ?programmers? I know are good students?

Conclusion: Whoever wrote this? was either an incredibly bad and ignorant parent, or a child having a bit of fun. Either way, it?s just silly?

Underlying Message: [B]A computer is a gateway to the world. It contains all the world has to offer; the good, the bad, the pointless and the brilliant. If you don?t trust your child, don?t let them use one. It?s as simple as that.[/B]

-Boba Fett[/COLOR]

Who the hell would be familiar with Lunix? It stands for "Little Unix" and runs on Commodore 64/128 computers. I severely doubt anyone this guy is talking about would have that. He's probably trying to say "Linux", but is simply very misinformed... which means he shouldn't be writing this in the first place. He fails to realize even on a basic level that Linux is a very viable OS right now.

It sounds like he just took random things his son used on his computer and is applying them as reasons why people would hack. The problem is that not everyone is his son. Somehow I doubt his hacking is anything more than downloading cracks off Kazaa.

I don't know why anyone would download Comet Cursor anyway. Maybe if you didn't care about the stability of your PC...

[edit] Even keeping in mind that it's a joke, I really don't find it very funny lol. I've met people who know less than this, it seems. My sister downloads tons of music off Kazaa, but doesn't even know what a MP3 is for example heh.[/edit]

[COLOR=teal]For goddess' sake, you think cause your son downloads bonzibuddy and flash among other programs he is a hacker? Because he dresses like a rave-goer he is a hacker? Since he under goes sudden changes he is a hacker? These changes in appearance and mood are called PUBERTY ! I do believe your an adult and have gone through this stage at that point in your life. Just because somebody downloads certain programs does not mean they are indeed a hacker. What you wrote is very offensive to me As I engage in much of that, even though I do know a tiny tiny bit about hacking and wott not it is not because of any of these stupid excuses for reasons. It's because I was CURIOUS. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=silver]I just now read the link. A little bit funnier now. NOt much though. W/O it this seemed like some dude was right crazy...[/COLOR]

[url]http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html[/url]

To be exact, and a comment from a reader:

[quote]
The article was very funny, but the comments are the best. Honestly I almost wet my pants with all the 'l33t sl4shd0ttaz' coming to 'the rescue'.

Honestly, where is peoples sense of humour these days!

Wit, folks. Remember you are just as dumb as our imaginary 'caring parent' if you leaped in with your critical posts.

Beautiful writing, the links were brilliant, and thanks, you dumb slashdotters for confirming your complete lack of sense, understanding, humour and brains.

Brilliant.
Hook, Line and Sinker.
[/quote]

I think I'll just leave it at that... ;)

[SIZE=1]Note also at the top left, the "topic"...[/SIZE]

[color=indigo]If you analyze this father?s introduction you realize he is a whacko right off the bat. [/color]

[quote][size=1]As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in the lives of my six children. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]Obviously ?modern? is a loose term. I don?t know too many ?modern? parents that have six children. Usually a traditional mindset helps encourage large families. All ready the guy is making himself out to be something he isn?t. [/color]

[quote][size=1] I encourage them to join team sports. I attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on the premises. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]He only encourages team sports, not individual sports, no free thinkers in his family. And he attends his children?s teen parties, in other words he is the embarrassing parent. I wonder if he was one of those dads that owned a child leash?sure sounds like it. [/color]

[quote][size=1]I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]Again, he doesn?t trust his kids to make the right decisions, even in the books that they read! His kids are reading; that would be good enough for most parents?but no! No copies of Catcher in the Rye for his six children.

[quote][size=1]You could say I'm a model parent. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]I could, but I won?t. I would rather say that you are a neurotic, over protective moron that will be lucky if one of his children doesn?t try to do a Columbine repeat. [/color]

[quote][size=1]My children have never failed to make me proud, and I can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family in the USA. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]That is a broad statement, but I guess between going to all of his children?s social functions and censoring there choice in media he has examined every family in the USA. [/color]

[quote][size=1]Two years ago, my wife Carol and I decided that our children's education would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this end, we bought our children a brand new Compaq to learn with. The kids had a lot of fun using the handful of application programs we'd bought, such as Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft's Word, and my wife and I were pleased that our gift was received so well. Our son Peter was most entranced by the device, and became quite a pro at surfing the net. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]A pro-net surfer, sounds like what I do when I should be doing work. Obviously Peter is going to be fascinated by the web; it is the only medium that this guy hasn?t restricted. I would be craving stimulation as well. [/color]

[quote][size=1]When Peter began to spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Carol advised me to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Cindy, charged into the living room one night to blurt out: "Peter is a computer hacker!"
Wow. Peter a computer hacker! I wonder if Peter was Thimoc? Does the father bother to tell you what his son hacked? No? That is because he probably never hacked anything, he just saw that movie with Angelina Jolie (not Tomb Raider, the early movie) and thought he maybe able to impress some chicks if he could hack a computer.

As you can imagine, I was amazed. A computer hacker in my own house! I began to monitor my son's habits, to make certain that Cindy wasn't just telling stories, as she is prone to doing at times. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]Because censoring his music and following his son to parties wasn?t really ?monitoring?. Oh and by the way, if Cindy is prone to tell stories, it means she is a liar, fine family indeed. [/color]

[quote][size=1]After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking, I confronted Peter with the evidence. I'm afraid to say, this was the only time I have ever been truly disappointed in one of my children. We raised them to be honest and to have integrity, and Peter betrayed the principles we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his activities. His denials continued for hours, and in the end, I was left with no choice but to ban him from using the computer until he is old enough to be responsible for his actions. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]So his kid said he wasn?t a hacker (which he more than likely wasn?t) but he was punished anyway. It doesn?t seem like the kid even had a computer long enough to become computer literate and be able to hack, another typical parental exaggeration. [/color]

[quote][size=1]After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of knowledge over those few days regarding hackers. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]Please tell me that he decided to commit suicide, or at the very least OD on Advil and ginger ale. [/color]

[quote][size=1] It's only right that I provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of hacking. Perhaps other parents will be able to steer their sons back onto the straight and narrow before extreme measures need to be employed. To this end, I have decided to publish the top ten signs that your son is a hacker. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]Well suicide is one extreme, but I guess I?ll have to settle for his insane, asinine ramblings. Why couldn?t he have just gouged his eyes out with a spoon or something? [/color]

[quote][size=1]I advise any parents to read this list carefully and if their son matches the profile, they should take action. A smart parent will first try to reason with their son, before resorting to groundings, or even spanking. I pride myself that I have never had to spank a child, and I hope this guide will help other parents to put a halt to their son's misbehaviour before a spanking becomes necessary. [/quote][/size]

[color=indigo]He has never had to spank a child before, which means his children don?t fear his anger and they think he is a pansy. If your dad hasn?t given you at least one swat on the rear, than he is a pansy, and deserves no respect.

The rest of this guy?s post is so absurd I don?t feel that any ridicule is necessary, nor would it heighten is hilarity? [/color]

You know, almost all of the humor here is lost when the original post doesn't have the links included. When you read the original article and check out the links included, you'll realize what a joke it is... Otherwise it kind of just seems like another random idiot, which isn't uncommon.

I didn't visit the link originally, which is my fault anyway lol.

This guy sounds like he is way over-protective. I mean... wearing baggy clothes? Spiked hair? He even attends the parties his kids go to. If you ask me, that's going too far.

It sounds like he's kids have no privacy under him. KiDs need privacy. And he's not giving that to them.

...I wouldn't listen to this. It's a load of ****.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Chaos [/i]
[B]I seem to remember this being posted some few months ago.[/b][/quote]
It's was posted on Dec 02, 2001

[quote]And I seem to also remember whoever posted was a complete idiot.[/quote]
I thought it was a clever article and really funny.

[quote][b]A waste of time. The "letter" isn't funny, seeing who is stupid enough to actually have believed it is, though. [/B][/QUOTE]
I thought the letter was hilarious too. I mean who would think of saying Quake was a virtual online hacker society or whatever and the baggy pants mean your'e a hacker.

Look to the side of the page under popular links, there's some other good articles like From Kids To Commies: The Truth About Daycare

[url]http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.7.14.22219.3493.html[/url]

[size=1]

lol

It's amusing, but its also incredibly sad. I mean seriously, I'm just waiting for someone to read this, take it seriously and become a net Nazi and rule their child like a king!

...or something.

[quote]
If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.[/quote]

My computer came with an AMD Athalon chip standard, it's a HP.
[spoiler]Mind you I have to feed the little child inside the case every now and again, if he gets hungry, my computer freezes.[/spoiler]

Hello capitalist advertising propaganda for Intel.

...and since when were sons the only people in a family that could possibly become a |-|4><0r?

I know it's just a joke, but you can't help but dissect it from the start. It's all so glaringly stupid. lol.[/size]

Guest cloricus
HAHAHAHA I wouldn't be worried until they installed a SSH client and/or were telnet-ting into IRC and overseas shell accounts. You don't just become a hacker by jumping on the net for a few days; it takes years and years to even get the basics.
If this isn't a joke I have an email to write...

I think they need to read [url=http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2003-06-06]CAD[/url] a bit more...

Good luck, Cloricus. I checked the guy's site, and couldn't find his address. But I'm finding that this sort of thing is happening more and more: People creating entire organizations about things they know nothing about, and thus creating problems for everybody. With religion, it's a little bit more forgiveable, but with something as simple as a computer.... Wow.

I'm suprised no one pointed out that he constantly uses the word "Son" and male pronouns.

Obviously, girls (including the daughter who retained her computer privilages) aren't smart enough to become hackers, right? I mean, why would they want to? They're way too busy cooking and cleaning and pumping out six kids.

"Modern parent" my arse. This guy's an incompeteant sexist cretin.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B]I'm suprised no one pointed out that he constantly uses the word "Son" and male pronouns.

Obviously, girls (including the daughter who retained her computer privilages) aren't smart enough to become hackers, right? I mean, why would they want to? They're way too busy cooking and cleaning and pumping out six kids.

"Modern parent" my arse. This guy's an incompeteant sexist cretin. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ummm...his daughter never showed the same computer habits the son did, therefore was never a need for concern. Don't take this thing too seriously, geez. BTW, I have ten other brothers and sisters, I guess my father's an evil sexist pig, huh?

I think most of you people are taking this thing a bit too seriously. For one thing, it's [B]obviously[/B] a hoax. Anyone with half a brain would find out it's spelled "Linux". I find it kind of scary many of you are taking this thing personally.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Epid3mic [/i]
[B]Ummm...his daughter never showed the same computer habits the son did, therefore was never a need for concern. Don't take this thing too seriously, geez. BTW, I have ten other brothers and sisters, I guess my father's an evil sexist pig, huh?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know your father from Adam, but this guy has demonstrated traits that, if the story were true, would indicate sexism. He obviously doesn't think his daughter is capable of becoming a hacker, and, by constantly using the word "Son" insytead of "Child", shows that he doesn't think any girl is.

Adam? I was commenting on how you put having six children in a negetive context. Is there something wrong with having alot of kids?

On the other note, there is no evidence that he thinks his daughters cannot become hackers. For one thing, he does not even know what a hacker is, and I doubt he understands the time and energy to become an adequate hacker. Secondly, from the attitude he shows, he does not think hacking is a good thing, and is probably glad his daughters didn't follow in his son's example, if anything, he is sexist towards males. And lastly, when he first became worried about Peter's computer usage, his wife told him it was just a phase, and, if I remember correctly, he puts it, "But I was content to bow to her experience as a mother." Such understanding is not exactly common among sexists.

Arghh, I can't believe I wrote so much on something that isn't even true ::sigh::

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathBug [/i]
[B] by constantly using the word "Son" insytead of "Child", shows that he doesn't think any girl is. [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]He actually does use "child" in some of the questions.

...Ergh, don't take this so seriously, people. [/SIZE]

ROTFLMAO, this dad is an idiot. Comet Cursor as a hacking tool lol, Imagining youself saying "I will hack you with my Goku cursor mwahahhaha"

Linux is just another Internet server. It could be used as a tool, but nah, if you're a computer expert then maybe.

He syas if they wear baggy pants and bright colored shirts, they're a hacker. Uh huh, you expect a 2nd grader to be a hacker riiight.

The dad needs to respect his kids privacy. I'm starting to think that he will follow his kids till he dies -_-. This is really sad.

[B]Adam? I was commenting on how you put having six children in a negetive context. Is there something wrong with having alot of kids?[/B][/QUOTE]

Nope; I just choose six because that's how many kids he said he had.

[B]Arghh, I can't believe I wrote so much on something that isn't even true ::sigh:: [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, I am inclined to think that it is true, but it goes back to my basic philosophy on people: they aren't basically good, or basically evil, they're basically stupid.

You'd have to be a moron to write all of that. Therefore, I believe someone legitimatly wrote it. If it's shown that it's a hoax, I'll be relieved and gladly admit to being wrong. However, my first inclination is to always believe that a person could really be that stupid.