OtakuBoards

One time at band camp.....

superfreak07

I'm in the shcool band, and it kicks butty. Well since i said in the subject area "One time at band camp....." I guess I should continue it. Well it was early in the summer. We were still getting to know each other. Our director had us toe to heal in a circle. We had to sit down on each others laps. We fell a couple of times. Later we had to walk while sitting on the person behind you's lap.

Thats marching band. Our marching band is one of the best, except for southern styled marching bands, they dance. This year we went to CMSU competition in Missouri. We took 3rd overall. Then on December 28, 2003 we played halftime at the Kansas City Chiefs Professional Football game.

Just a week ago we went to the National College Football game. We competed in a compition. Overall we took 2nd which is really good. In our division we took first and swept all but 1 trophies. There were 5 trophies. Then we preformed with about 20 other high school bands during halftime and pregame of the LSU/OU NCAA football game.

Has anyone on here but me had a great experience in band or sports of any kind? Something that will stick with you your whole life. I get to go on another trip my senior year of high school. I'll remember forever both the trips.

You know, I wish to God I had joined some sort of music class four years ago. I'd have had so much fun. Our school band gets [b]everything[/b].

They get field trips, cool events, funding, early release, and a week-long trip out of state every year.

So, I guess the answer to your question is, I wish I were in band.

I'm a saxaphone. Our band is pretty good, placed a bit at state.

The people in band, though, is what I stay for. Sure there's the bad (like the tromboner who sexually harrassed me on the bus :drunk: ) But there's also half my friends who are in band! They're all so great, and its fun to spend time with them. (Unfortunately, one is moving away this month :bawl:)

And, yes, band does get everything. And deserve each bit. Band camp is a pain in the ***. I had to march fourteen hours a day. Oh well, the upperclassmen said we were blessed with rainy weather this year, but I fear for my sunny years to come.

Being the over-sensitive freshy, I kinda get special treatment from the drum majors. I'm not one of their groupies, but they still say hi and crap. ^.^;; Its embarrassing, but its just how people feel toward me.

I can't play worth crap, though. Oh well, I still love it. ^.^

[FONT=arial]marching band was so awesome for me last year. I was on pretty good terms with everybody in our group, got to play my favorite instrument (quints ^_^), and had fun at all the games and such. *sigh* happy memories.

this year really bit though. we ended up losing two section leaders back to back because of grade issues >.>', so I ended up being section leader. I wouldn't have minded much if there weren't any think-they-know-it-all jacks who tried getting attitudes if they didn't agree with something I told them to do ("No, you're doing it wrong!" 98% of the time, I was the one that was right. go figure). didn't help that I was stressed most of the time (from people in my section, schoolwork and lack of time to do it in, and lack of sleep).

after thinking it over for a month or so, I decided that I'm not going to do marching band next year. if I stayed in, I'd be section leader again. no way I'm gonna do that anymore, given a lot of the people that I had to deal with this year (who are all staying; I don't even want to think about the upcoming freshmen, who I've already taken a look at). even if I wasn't, the next person up for it would be the guy who gave me the most hell out of everybody. there is absolutely NO WAY I'm gonna be ordered around by that incompetent what-have-you. the main reason why I decided to drop band though is because my grades went really bad during marching season. not failing, but a couple of them were pretty close to it. given the fact that grades are more important than band, and that I've got next to nothing to look forward to for next year, grades outweigh band single-handedly. and wouldn'tcha know, ever since football season's been over, the not-so-stellar grades I had gotten have gone up at least one letter, if not more, heh.

so yay. even though not all the times at band were particularly pleasant, it'll definitely stick with me for awhile.[/FONT]

[color=deeppink]My high school's band was good, but they seemed to have issues with the rest of the school. I think they thought we all hated them for being band groupies, when instead we all admired them for their talent. They turned themselves into an exclusive group that snubbed their noses at the rest of the school...it was a very strange thing indeed.

I was in band from 6th-8th grade, along with 75% of my school. Everyone except the dedicated ones basically quit band after middle school. I didn't really enjoy it because I was really bad. I played coronet and was first chair in 6th grade before braces ruined my ability to play well. For the rest of my middle school band career I was pretty far down the line when it came to talent, heh.

In high school I was a cheerleader. My boyfriend was a band geek. Go figure :p[/color]

I play Clarinet and trumpet, and im in a southern band, lots of dancin and marchin ^_^. We are about to start parade season, which we will be marching in five. This is my first year in the band so i don't have many experiences yet ^_^;.

One last note, BAND GEEKS OWN

Ahh...the thrills of band camp....

I consider myself the total band geek. I don't know why but I've always been obsessed with music. I am a total loser in my school, but I wouldn't have it any other way. My school is focused on basketball, all the time, day and night. IT'S MADDNESS!

I?ve actually gone to band camp for three years now. I don?t play flute though, :cross: I play alto saxophone. Actually I have a little sob story with that...when I was four I watched Sesame Street, and that had this segment on how a saxophone was made, and in the background they had Charlie Parker playing cool jazz. I remember telling my mom I was going to play that someday...:bawl: How sweet...

Anyway, I can understand a lot of what you guys said. Marching band is insane. (I can barely put one foot in front of the other, marching is murder for me) I became section leader my sophomore year, and believe me, that is terrible. Especially since the six freshman and one junior that I beat out for the position were all more popular than I was (The junior was so angry I almost feared for my life!) It was bad, but I just totally ignored all the whining they did about how I was wrong all the time :rolleyes: and acted like a dictator. (To this day they still call me Hitler) I'm also a student director type thing-basically I direct whenever our teacher is sick or gone. Kind of a privilege, but also scary! I'm still getting the hang of it...

Also, I'm in a music theory class. This is the first year our school has had one-five friends and I petitioned to have it added to the list of classes. We also had to sweet talk our band director into teaching it. Actually, we got to decide what we wanted to learn...basically it's a class to learn how to write all types of music (hymns, jazz, musicals, rock, ect) and learn about their history. We spend a lot of time just stuck in a room with a piano, just pounding away and writing stuff. Then we listen to what everybody wrote...Some of the stuff we come up with is really amazing!

Anyway, to sum it up, music is basically my life! I AM A BAND GEEK, AND I LOVE IT!!!!

wow...do I know you? (probably not) You sounded JUST like my two friends with that line "One time at band camp...." They tell stories like that all the time. (I think that they are trying to rub in my face how I didn't get to go) :)

I play clarinet :) I haven't ever been to band camp, but I'm going this year! :D

[color=hotpink][size=1]I hate Dancing Bands. Period. The only way that they are even remotely tolerable is when they don't play the SAME music continuously, therefore their show NEVER ends, and they have no talent. And its especially gross when the color guard girls who are MUCH too large to be in those tight uniforms are shaking everything they have. I vomit.

As for MY band experience, it was more than amazing. I truly miss it more than anything else and I am planning on trying out for the Georgettes Dance Team this Spring. I was, of course, one of the sexy Dancers, being Captain my Senior year. We had SO much fun and competitions were always great. Our dance team was spectacular and one of a kind. We had the most close relationship possible. We had a great coach that everyone loved and everyone in the entire band could turn to. She seemed like she hit rock bottom this year, after all of us graduated...it's pretty sad.

We went to Disney World as our band trips my Sophomore and Senior years. Best experiences of my life so far, I must say. I can't wait to go back again, hopefully sometime this summer. ^_^[/color][/size]

Well I'm a freshman. My school is probably one of the only schools that marches their freshmen in our area. I am a trumpet and pretty good at that. I'm first chair in concerte band, but I'm in the second band which is still an honor to be 1st chair. I have 2 seniors seated under me.

Band kicks butt at my school. We have the same fight song as the LSU band. We play just as good as they do too. Our director is writing more pep band music.

[size=1]Heh, marching freshmen? Our band has 8th graders and a lucky 7th grader or two (like myself).

My sister has been in marching band for about 3 years now, so, I was used to the 3 our trips every Saterday and such, I also helped out in the pit crew. This year, the percussion instructor invited me (as the only 7th grader) To be in the pit. I loved it, it's alot of hard work and there are tears, but it is great and worth it in the end. I made alot of new friends (mainly in percussion) and learned a ton about music (it was my first year ever playing in percussion).

I remember, about half way into the training season we had this "event". The whole band gets into a large circle and they throw a large piece of string to a person and then compliment them on why they like them and such. After it's over you get a piece of the string and get to keep it (I feel bad because I lost mine...) But, I think marching band will turn out being some of the greatest days in my life. Traveling is great and so is playing! [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by amibasuki [/i]
[B][FONT=arial]even if I wasn't, the next person up for it would be the guy who gave me the most hell out of everybody. there is absolutely NO WAY I'm gonna be ordered around by that incompetent what-have-you.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=009966]The day that Steven P. becomes section leader of the drumline is the day when a cataclysm destroys the world. Mr. Lundin would have to be [i]completely[/i] insane to do that, and you're forgetting that there's still Peggy and Brooks. Pray that they are still eligible and willing to be on the drumline next year! >>;

This was my first year on the drumline, and I played quints (well, I started on snare, moved to cymbals, [i]then[/i] to quints) for the last part of the season. Band camp was murder. I was on snare at the time, and I had no idea what pain was until I was given the quints about two months later. x.X; Eh.

I got along with basically everyone on the drumline except for the previously mentioned.....person. Yeah, he was a jerk. After our first section leader left he was put on snare, and that certainly fed his ego. He acted like he was all that and a soda, and since Amibasuki was the same age as him and on the snare also, he therefore concluded that he was as good as her and always challenged her at every opportunity. Heh. All he did was make himself look even more stupid, especially when he tried to show off for everyone else. Once when we were eating lunch, he came over and sat down at the table, pulled out some drumsticks, and said "Listen to this!" He then tried doing a drumroll, but that sure was the sorriest drumroll I ever heard. It sounded like a horse galloping!

What really made him look bad was the final game of the season. Amibasuki was at a drama competition, so he had to play the snare for the half-time show. After we warmed up and ran through our opening song though, he said "Wow! That's the first time I [i]ever[/i] played that without her!" I was a bit confused as to what he meant, so he kept talking. "Normally I just play the first four measures, the drumbreak, and the last four beats and let Ste do the rest, but I played it all just then!" I was too choked to say anything until after the game. So, yeah. He's been nothing but a pompous shadow riding on Amibasuki's playing skills. Grrrrrr......

All in all, I [strike]hope that Steven is kicked off the drumline[/strike] can't wait for next year. :) *cough*[/color]

Well, I"m in a Intermediate band with an Alto Saxophone. I would say that i'm good at it, but definitely not good enough for pro, considering that i am thirteen years old.

We have a few musical pieces that i have a hard time on, and i'm determined to work harder on them for quite a while. I was wondering, does anyone else in here play an Alto Saxophone? I was wondering, because that would have to be one of my favorites. Also, I play Snare Drum, if anyone else plays that. I like the marching band snare drums, and the drum line, if you guys have one, usually they make some really good beats.

[color=hotpink][size=1]If you guys had so many problems with Steven, why didn't you just let Mr. Lundin know? I'm pretty sure that Mr. Johnson was aware of the whole situation and was probably sympathetic.

To hear that Steven never played during the show really irritates me. I feel that there were probably a lot of sorry members in the band like that. The fact that Josh was gone and he actually loved it with ALL HIS HEART and was REALLY GOOD AT IT made me so sad. And it makes me so sad to think about it now...:(

Hopefully you wont have to suffer so much next year. ^_^[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]If you guys had so many problems with Steven, why didn't you just let Mr. Lundin know? I'm pretty sure that Mr. Johnson was aware of the whole situation and was probably sympathetic.

To hear that Steven never played during the show really irritates me. I feel that there were probably a lot of sorry members in the band like that. The fact that Josh was gone and he actually loved it with ALL HIS HEART and was REALLY GOOD AT IT made me so sad. And it makes me so sad to think about it now...:(

Hopefully you wont have to suffer so much next year. ^_^[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=009966]Oh, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Lundin knew that Steven was giving her a hard time (Mr. Johnson got so fed up with Steven at one point that he started SHOUTING at him! Can you even imagine Mr. Johnson shouting?! O.O). I think the only thing that saved him was the plain fact that we were short on players at the time.

I didn't bother to tell Mr. Lundin about how he hadn't been playing, since it was the last game and all, but he had better shape up before band camp starts in the summer. [/color]

Guest Inuyasha7575
I thought this would be a funny like when that girl said it on American Pie, but sadly it is not. I dont know much about band I've been having more fun in choir.

[QUOTE]I feel that there were probably a lot of sorry members in the band like that. [/QUOTE]

*Raises hand* I could never get the hang of playing and moving in odd directions at the same time. :(

[QUOTE]I thought this would be a funny like when that girl said it on American Pie, but sadly it is not. I dont know much about band I've been having more fun in choir.[/QUOTE]

What's not funny about band? You've obviously never heard any stories from band camp. Like when I woke up after having a dream I fell asleep and skipped drills. "Holy *******, Krysten, what time is it?!" She just stared at me.

And one kid slept-marched around the hallway in the middle of the night. He wandered into someone's room, stood at attention. One of the roomies woke up and was scared. Threw something at the kid in the other bed. "Chris, who's in our room?!" The sleeping trumpeter woke up and said "This isn't the field!" :laugh:

ahhh, band humor. Coat hangers! Er, wait, I think that's an nside joke with just my friends. I would post more stories, but they mostly have to do with the drummer and the tromboner talking dirty and scaring other bands.

Hmmm... I've never liked the band, I used to play the clarinet... oh no wait then I moved on to the drums in 5th grade XD. Then it was like a bolt of lightning and I quit the band FOREVER ^_______^'!!!. Well that was partilly because I "sucked" well not really I just never was into the entire band thing and wanted to spend more time on sports x___X. Anyway I have nothing against people being in the band and some of my good friends are but atleast at my school surprisingly enough these "band kids" can be really f00kin annoying dumb-oSSes at times. Like that time during the summer when we were doing our two mile run on the track at the same time the band was having their band practice off to the side... So a couple of band kid think it would be funny to walk on to the track and get in out way while running -_-... and you know it I run smack dab into the little pudgy kid and trip over him taking him down with me... oh "yey" what a memory to remember =|. Luckily the timing for the 2-mile run didn't matter that much for J.V. soccer x___X.

[size=1][b]I'm not in marching/concert band, but I get a whole lot of the atmosphere: My brother is a trumpet section leader and my father is parent president of the band. Me? I'm only in stage(jazz) band.

I would be thrilled to be involved in something like marching band. Only I'm not in shape enough to march, so I could pass by in the pit.

The Sugarbowl trip was amazing. I have so many friends in band. I know pretty much all of our trumpet section. Which lead to the multiple movie nights. Which we had two nights ago. Matt(sorry, superfreak07) knows. Words of wisdom: You're not my real daddy.

Wow, that's starting to get off topic.

But I'd like to say this: Band is much funner than orchestra will ever be. Jazz Band, however, is another story.[/b][/size]

What do you mean, jazz band is another story? I don't know if that's positive or negative, but I love jazz band! We had state contest last Saturday. We only got a II (I is best, III is worst) But it was a high II, better than last year. (We were only 1 point away from a I!) I played piano last year, but this year I got 1st chair Alto sax, so I had a lot of responsibility. Our whole sax section was newbies (including myself-at least at Jazz sax) so it was tough. I had an improv solo. I was really nervous, but I think I did ok. We'll see the judges? comments tomorrow, so I don't know.
Our state has a section where the jazz band has to sight-read a piece. My director said I had to take a solo, and I just about had a heart attack. Then I realized it was in concert B flat blues, and that is the only improv scale I know! Thank God for small miracles! I even got into it and used the full range of my horn, which impressed the judge (in this category, the judge gives his comments straight to you instead of writing them down.)

Also, about band camp stories?there was this girl that was really young, so we hung out with her a lot. She roomed right next to a friend of mine. One night my friend heard a noise and woke up. She saw this girl rummaging under her roommate?s bed. The girl proceeded to pull out a granola bar (this roommate was pretty messy) and began to brush her hair with it. Yes, I said brush her hair with a granola bar. Then, the girl jumped up, ran out the door (still clutching the granola bar) and left my friend sitting there, shocked.
The next morning, we asked the girl what she was doing, and she said she was dreaming that she was looking for her hairbrush, and that she found it under her bed. We asked her what happened to the granola bar she took, and her eyes got wide. ?That?s where the wrapper on my counter came from!? Apparently she ate the granola bar in her sleep and didn?t remember it. True story!

Anyway, as previously stated, I AM A BAND GEEK, AND I LOVE IT!!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The_Ghost [/i]
[B]What do you mean, jazz band is another story? I don't know if that's positive or negative, but I love jazz band! [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][b]That would be a positive statement. Jazz band is a much smaller ensemble so you get the know the people in it a lot better.

Also, I usually [i]hate[/i] blues improv on the bass. It's incredibly boring. What you do, well on traditional blues, is play one note for a while, then stroll on to another note, and so on.

I also have a 'band camp' moment, though it happened at a general music camp. Ok, here goes: One time, at band camp, we tied this guy up with duct tape and flogged hims with a yellow wet floor sign.

Yeah, he was the same guy who later shaved his head and eyebrows. Yeah, I know, stupid.[/b][/size]