OtakuBoards

Metroid: Zero Mission

Shinmaru

Jeez, it's been forever and a day since I made a new thread here, but it's time to break out the excitement for Metroid: Zero Mission :)

For those who still might be unaware, Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake of the original Metroid for the NES. However, this game isn't your normal, everyday remake; much akin to the remake of Resident Evil for the GameCube, Metroid: Zero Mission has totally revamped graphics that take full advantage of the power of the Game Boy Advance. Some of the screens I've seen simply look stunning.

The game also ups the ante with gameplay more based on Super Metroid for the SNES, remixed music and new areas/bosses. The game, from what I've seen, is shaping up to become a great game and I'm definitely looking forward to its release (which is actually suprisingly close - February 9th last time I checked on it).

For those who would like to see some screens, here are some that Electronic Gaming Monthly released on their website: [url=http://www.egmmag.com/slideshow2/0,4617,a=94720,00.asp]Metroid: Zero Mission screenshots[/url].

I will definitely have to find some extra money in order to buy this beauty...I'm a huge fan of the Metroid series and this game should not dissappoint in the least ^_^

It's really come a long way since it was first shown. It originally had a very cartoony quality to it and Samus looked like some cross between herself, Kirby and cel-shaded Link. It looked okay, but definitely not that impressive. I think they were trying to make Samus look a lot like she did in the original game, but it just didn't work. So I'm happy with the new design.

I really think this has the chance to be the best Metroid yet. The original was huge as it was and combining that with Super Metroid quality graphics, new areas, moves, aliens and so on... awesome.

It's amazing how soon this is coming out too. Really little has been said about it. I was at KB Toys a few weeks ago and they already had a display saying to reserve it. I didn't know it was that close to being out. Yay.

Yeah, after it was announced last summer, the game really slipped under the radar. I've really heard little about it until this past month...the progression the game has made is simply amazing; and none of the crazy delays that Nintendo is famous for, which makes me happy :p

If the game ends up being the best Metroid ever, then that would be an absolutely stunning achievement. I still hold Super Metroid in an extremely high regard (second favorite game behind Zelda: LttP) and Metroid Prime came very close to toppling it...but, from all accounts, this could definitely be the game to do it.

And, haha, I still have the infamous $50 check that I haven't cashed in yet lol. Maybe I'll finally stop being lazy, get my money, and buy Metroid: Zero Mission.

I guess we could classify Zero Mission as a "sleeper title," in that it's been so hush hush, and kept under the gaming radar for such a long time.

My only beef with the game is it's coming out on GBA/SP. I have no problem with playing it on GBA, but I'd really dig a modern side-scrolling Metroid designed for Cube.

But, as Zero Mission looks now, sweet. I'm looking through the screenshots, and find myself wondering, "Is Zero Mission going to play like Fusion?"

Not that Fusion's engine or gameplay was bad, per se, but it just...lacked something. It didn't feel like a Metroid game. It felt more like "a nifty side-scroller action/adventure starring Samus." Meaning, you could have placed any character in there and the game still would have been the same, I suppose. I didn't get that from Prime, nor Super Metroid, and NES Metroid made sure that Samus belonged. But Fusion didn't. I don't have a clear idea why. Perhaps it was the new gameplay mechanics; they were just too different?

So, that's my main concern for Zero Mission, I guess, that the gameplay is going to be based on Fusion and feel less like Metroid.

EDIT: Did I just make any sense?

I don't really see how it could play like Fusion because of the way the original Metroid is set up. Fusion was designed from the ground up to work how it does, whereas this is just a remake of the original. From what I understand there will be story cutscenes, but from everything I've heard it's not going to play any different aside from areas being redesigned to take advantage of Samus's new moves.

[color=indigo]Yeah, Metroid: Zero Mission really crept up on me. Last month, just a few days before Christmas I think, I was checking through some release dates on Nintendo.com when I saw Zero Mission scheduled for Feb. 9. and I was like "What, that soon?!" Until just recently there seemed to be barely any info or screenshots or anything about it, and after all the publicity for Prime and Fusion, I was expecting a lot more for Zero Mission.

This is definitely going to be my next game purchase, though. Ever since the game was announced I've been waiting and waiting for it. I've loved every Metroid game that I've played (still all but Metroid II), and Metroid is fast becoming my second favorite gaming series. Super Metroid still remains my favorite, but I also enjoyed Prime and Fusion immensely. And, like Tony said, Zero Mission looks like it may just be good enough to topple Super Metroid's reign.

One thing about Zero Mission that I'm really interested in is the bigger emphasis on the storyline. The whole slogan for the game seems to be "What really happened on planet Zebes?" so I'm looking forward to seeing how they added onto the story, as well as the gameplay. The addition of the Crateria area from Super Metroid, which apparently has Chozo ruins in it, looks like it could hold a good amount of storyline info.

The storyline for the Metroid series has always interested me but until Prime and Fusion were released there seemed to be so little of it actually told. With those two games the storyline really started to get more fleshed out, which made me even more interested. I think the series has a lot of potential in this regard, so I'm really looking forward to future installments.

Oh, and by the way, there's some screenshots, movie clips, and a few wallpapers on [url=http://www.metroid.com]Metroid.com[/url] if anyone's interested. There's also some stuff on [url=http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-1856]Nintendo.com[/url]. I wish they'd release more official art, though.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I don't really see how it could play like Fusion because of the way the original Metroid is set up. Fusion was designed from the ground up to work how it does, whereas this is just a remake of the original. From what I understand there will be story cutscenes, but from everything I've heard it's not going to play any different aside from areas being redesigned to take advantage of Samus's new moves. [/B][/QUOTE]

For me, I thought Fusion just babysat you too much...there were parts where the game really made it blantantly obvious what you were supposed to do and where you were supposed to go and that kind of detracted from the whole exploration aspect that Metroid does so well.

The original Metroid is far less linear than Metroid Fusion, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on how you like your games. Personally, I hope the game will strike more of a balance like Super Metroid, which was fairly non-linear, but still gave you a push in the right direction every once in a while. From all accounts, I think the game will do just that...if the game ends up being the best in the Metroid series, then that's a big plus, heh.

[color=indigo]I kind of disagree with the whole thing about Metroid Fusion being too linear. Really, it's not any more linear than other Metroid games, besides possibly the original. You can still go off at pretty much any time and explore freely. You don't [i]have[/i] to follow Adam's instructions as soon as you get them. And in the other games you do still have to do things in a certain order. You still have to get certain items or beat certain bosses to be able to get to new areas and whatnot.

The main difference with Fusion, I think, is that it does just tell you flat out where to go and what to do most of the time. I think this makes the game feel more linear and that there's less exploration, but like I said, you can ignore Adam and go off exploring pretty much any time you want, so I don't think it actually does affect the game too much. The second time I played through I just ignored the current objective from time to time so I could go collect power-ups and whatnot before advancing, and it was just like any other Metroid game.

Another thing to mention would be the hint system in Metroid Prime. It acts basically the same as Adam does in Fusion, telling you where to go next. And I don't really think the hints make the game more linear, they just let you know where you need to go next in order to advance in the game. Again, you can still ignore them and go off exploring elsewhere. I think Adam in Fusion is the same sort of thing; a guide that tells you what you need to do next in order to advance in the game, not what you [i]have[/i] to do next.

But yes, the original Metroid was extremely non-linear (you could even choose whether to fight Ridley or Kraid first), so I'm hoping Zero Mission will retain this. Personally, I don't really like being told what I need to do next, which is one of the main reasons why I like Super Metroid more than Fusion.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desbreko [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Another thing to mention would be the hint system in Metroid Prime. It acts basically the same as Adam does in Fusion, telling you where to go next. And I don't really think the hints make the game more linear, they just let you know where you need to go next in order to advance in the game. Again, you can still ignore them and go off exploring elsewhere. I think Adam in Fusion is the same sort of thing; a guide that tells you what you need to do next in order to advance in the game, not what you [i]have[/i] to do next.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Des, perhaps you could clarify a bit?

I can see where you're coming from, but the hint system of Prime and Adam of Fusion (heh, sounds like some Arthurian legend), are actually pretty different.

Yes, both systems point you to a certain room, but Adam outright orders you. I wanted to bitchslap him throughout most of the game, lol. There was no relaxed nature about the hint system in Fusion at all. Sure, we could go off and explore and eventually get to whatever had Adam's digital panties in a twist, but Adam was still very direct and brutish for our next point of interest.

I think the hint system in Prime is much different because it is not Adam. It's an area scan, picking up anomalies that will pique our interest and allow us to journey farther on Tallon IV. The Prime hint system is certainly a laid-back, "oh, when you get around to it, check this out," type of messaging service, quite contrary to, "Samus, go here. It is of critical importance."

Now this is just a general point, not directed at anyone in particular.

I think we're misusing "linear" here. Now, hear me out.

Linear is defined as having a set path, a very specific turn of events that really cannot be done in any other order except the designated order to progress, right?

Nonlinear is defined as being able to do whatever the hell you want along the way...essentially, go anywhere; no limits. No restrictions. Open-ended gameplay.

I was just thinking about those definitions and applied them to the Metroid series.

By those terms, NES Metroid is the only truly nonlinear game, because you can fight Kraid before Ridley or vice versa. You don't have to pick up the Varia Suit to beat the game...to progress. Yes, it'd be insanely difficult, but it is not out of the question.

But compare that to Fusion or Prime. Fusion requires you to obtain specific items to proceed. If you didn't have the Booster, you never would get out of a level. (Blame Shinmaru for the "Booster" term. He blanked out. What kind of a Nintendo Forum Mod is he, anyway? lol :p)

In Prime, there's no way you can go through Magmoor Caverns without the Varia Suit.

Am I just missing something? Please, someone tell me what I fail to understand here, lol. It seems that the only nonlinear Metroid title is NES Metroid. I haven't played too much of Super, but from what I have experienced through [spoiler]emulation[/spoiler], it seemed pretty linear.

EDIT: Des, I'm not sure if I touched on anything of what you said. I'm sure Shinmaru will come in and pick on me now, lol.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B](Blame Shinmaru for the "Booster" term. He blanked out. What kind of a Nintendo Forum Mod is he, anyway? lol :p)[/B][/QUOTE]

Conveniently left that in there even after I told you what it was called, eh? I see how it is lol. [spoiler]It's the Speed Booster, by the way :p[/spoiler]

Like you and I were discussing over AIM...Metroid isn't really "hit you over the head" linearity like a lot of games are...it's more veiled linearity in the sense that there are definitely items that you need to clear the game...but once you get certain items, new possibilities open up and you can tackle the different areas in a different order than usual. So, yeah, Super Metroid and the like are linear, but in a more clever, logical way.

I haven't played too much Metroid II, but I believe Metroid is most definitely the only non-linear Metroid game...that game is truly insane lol. You can pretty much do anything and go anywhere in that game, heh (well, if you ever manage to master the difficulty, that is lol).

[color=indigo]Yes, Adam is more up front and direct about telling you where to go... But he's also your CO. Then again, as Samus, you don't take crap from anyone. ;)

My point was, though, that both Adam and the hint system do fundamentally the same thing. That is, they both tell you what needs to be done next in order to advance. The only major difference in actual function is that you can't turn Adam off. (And oh, how I wanted to a few times). Yes, Adam is more forceful in telling you what needs to be done next, but you can still ignore it most of the time.

I will agree that it does change the feel of the game. Prime, to me, felt very different from Fusion. Fusion was set up differently than other Metroid games, but it kind of had to be in order to fit the story that was being told. Personally, I don't find the change in set-up bad, per se--like I said, I think I actually enjoyed Fusion more than Prime--but I will admit it somewhat changes the feel of the game. It still felt very much like a Metroid game to me, even with the changes, however.

About the issue of linearity, you could really say that not even the original Metroid is nonlinear, if you take the meaning of the word far enough. After all, there are still items you need to collect in order to progress. You need either enough missiles or the Wave Beam in order to defeat Ridley and Kraid, you need the Ice Beam to defeat the Metroids in Tourian, and you need enough missiles to be able to defeat the Mother Brain (150 of which you get from beating Ridley and Kraid). So if you're going to use the exact definition of linear, you can't really call any game with a story nonlinear.

In terms of videogames, however, I think the Metroid series could be classified as nonlinear. Yes, there are certain things you have to do at certain times to progress, so it's not completely nonlinear. But, you're also free to explore some rather large areas outside of the game's main mission; enough so that I think most people would call the Metroid games nonlinear. Sure, it's not the best way to describe the games, but it's concise, and it conveys a meaning that's pretty close to the actual truth.

Anyway...aren't we supposed to be on the subject of Metroid: Zero Mission? The last five posts, including this one, haven't had anything to do with Zero Mission, heh. :whoops:[/color]

[B][color=indigo]Anyway...aren't we supposed to be on the subject of Metroid: Zero Mission? The last five posts, including this one, haven't had anything to do with Zero Mission, heh. :whoops:[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, at least we're talking about Metroid; that's good enough for me :p

You make a good point about linearity/non-linearity...after all, what game could be truly non-linear? There has to be some point to the game, or else it would just be full of aimless wandering. In gaming terms, I suppose, non-linearity would simply suggest that the game doesn't shuffle you off from one place to the next...it gives you slight hints and gives you the necessary tools to let you go where you need, but ultimately lets you have free reign over where you go (which is, of course, what you were talking about, heh).

On the subject of which system I would prefer for Zero Mission...I still think Super Metroid did it best; once you found that one item you needed, pretty much everything was game (whether it be the Morphing Ball, Ice Beam, etc.) and really added a lot to the exploration factor of the game. Metroid Prime did this extremely well, too, I thought.

But you never know...Nintendo may just surprise us all and come up with a system that's even better for Zero Mission.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]For those who still might be unaware, Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake of the original Metroid for the NES. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Didn't NP say it was a prequel to the series? :whoops: I guess that's maybe why the title has the suffix [B]Zero Mission.[/B] But if it ends up as a rehash, I'm gonna be so pissed. I'm kinda getting sick of "replaying" old games. Oh, the game's enhanced...*silence*...ri--ight. And besides, if it is a rehash of the first one, then the title should just simply be "Metroid." That [i]was[/i] the name of the original. Oh, so what if it doesn't [i]sound[/i] cool? It's still a Metroid game! If they want a different title, add it to a different game!

Regardless, I'm still buying it. :shifty:

Spring is my game season, so in addition to MZM, I'm also getting FFX-2 and the GCN Harvest Moon game. As if I didn't have enough games already...:rolleyes:....heh.

The screens drove me totally banana bread, so now I'm more determined to nab it. But to be honest, Prime was good, but I still like Super Metroid better. Dagnabbit, gimme more Metroid!
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dark_serena [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Didn't NP say it was a prequel to the series? :whoops: [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, according to [url=http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1430003,00.asp]Electronic Gaming Monthly[/url], the game is a remake of the original Metroid.

[quote]Last summer, Nintendo quietly announced Metroid Zero Mission, a newfangled Game Boy Advance remake of the very first Metroid game (for the 8-bit Nintendo Entertainent System).[/quote]

So, yeah, that's where the article mentions it. Doesn't really matter, though...whether or not it's a remake of the original Metroid, I'm still getting my hands on this game >_>

[color=indigo]Yes, Zero Mission is a remake of the original NES Metroid, but it's not just a straight port with nothing but updated graphics. The same basic storyline and original areas remain, but other than that, it looks to be a lot different. Whole new areas, bosses, and power-ups have been added, and it also sounds like the story of the original is going to be expanded on quite a bit. It's not going to just be like replaying the original NES Metroid.[/color]

[quote][i]Nintendo.com[/i]
[b]"This February, Samus Aran will return to her roots and relive the story that started it all -- revealing for the first time full details of her meeting with the Metroids."

"Samus Aran arrives on Zebes in an adventure that greatly expands on the legendary NES Metroid title."[/b][/quote]
[color=indigo]So it is a remake, but it's actually a real remake instead of just a slightly enhanced port, like the Super Mario Advance games. They probably started from the ground up and recreated the old original areas and whatnot; I kind of doubt they started with the original and just made changes to that.[/color]

[B]The game apparently contains the original NES Metroid game too. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Really? That'd be awesome; I still haven't beaten it on Metroid Prime, heh. Maybe I'll finally get around to beating it on Zero Mission, then. It's just such a pain to search out those last few Missile Expansions in the original...[/color]

Yeah, I just finished reading the Electronic Gaming Monthly review of Metroid: Zero Mission and the original Metroid is one of the unlockables. I still haven't gotten around to beating the original on Metroid Prime because it's so damned [i]hard[/i]. The game is a sadistic, insane bastard and I love it regardless.

EGM also mentioned that there were lots of "surprises" in the game...I can't wait to play through Zero Mission and see what that entails, heh.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Okay, alright. I got March's issue of NP yesterday, and it [b]is[/b] a remake.

Oh, well! :whoops:

I just wanted to make sure.

I haven't read all of the issue yesterday (busy), but I read it this morning. I'm sure it's being released in March. Dammit, I hate waiting. Well, NP has already started on the maps and strategies, so I'm assuming March.

Geez...this's driving me insane. I'll have to wait for Pokemon Coliseum and Harvest Moon, too! Oh, well. At least I can get FFX-2 when I get the chance.

And the screens for Kraid are awesome. I like the art they have in the mag of Samus.

[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]Yeah, it's been February 9 ever since any release date was announced, I believe... And it's also been said a couple times in this thread, lol. Maybe you missed it.

The thing about NP, and EGM too, though, is that you get the March issue at the beginning of February. (I don't know why, but it seems like magazines feel the need to date their issues a month later than they're released). So if you got the March issue and it had a strategy section on a game, it means the game is most likely already out or is coming out in the month before the issue is dated. In other words, a strategy section on Metroid: Zero Mission in the March issue probably means it's going to be released in February--which it is.

Only 10 more days until stores around here get it in. I'm going to go reserve my copy either tomorrow or Sunday. ^_^[/color]

[B][color=indigo]Yeah, it's been February 9 ever since any release date was announced, I believe... And it's also been said a couple times in this thread, lol. Maybe you missed it.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]

[COLOR=purple]Awww ****--I guess I did. :blush:

Well, I haven't had the time to search all over the Internet for release dates, so I guess I'm a bit behind. No big, I'm just glad it's coming sooner than I thought.

I've been feeling a bit out of it lately. I haven't rented any new games or played any, because either the video store doesn't have it, it's being rented out, or there's just nothing that grabs my interest. A mix of all three, basically. :(

Really, I need to be rejuvenated. :confused: Hopefully, the new Metroid will lighten everything up a bit. But I just...hate [i]waiting![/i]

And to get MZM, I'll probably have to go to the next town over, cuz all our WalMart usually sells is ****in' shovelware.

I like the new weapons in MZM. And didn't they have an unlockable NES Metroid when you beat Metroid Prime? Now they're including it in MZM? Maybe they're running out of ideas.

And for the release date, I wasn't sure from the beginning, but I was more certain from the start it was to be released around February and no later. It's just that recently my mind's been on March-released games and it's totally aggravating me, considering they're games I've been anticipating since fall (God, that seems such a long time ago).

And not being able to [i]get[/i] MZM until March doesn't seem to be helping much (tax-refunds). :twitch: [/color][/size]

[B]The original Metroid is in Prime, yeah. You couldn't play it on your GBA though, so I think this is still a nice addition. It makes since since Zero Mission is a remake of the original anyway. It's nice that they bothered, I suppose lol. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Heh...I guess you're right. :whoops:

My mom has the NES Metroid, but I just couldn't get into it, and still can't. Maybe I should give it another go when it comes to the SP, 'cuz those controllers are a bit unresponsive and they irritate me.

I love the graphics for Kraid. It just simply looks...[i]awesome.[/i]

OH! Has anyone bought the game yet?? Our town doesn't have it yet, obviously. >_> I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about it![/color][/size]

I've play it for a bit. I've liked what I've seen so far. There's some differences from the original that you notice right away. Samus can actually kneel, which is a welcome addition. She rolls into a ball by pressing down again. There's a lot more Chozo statues around now too. A few of them tell you where you have to get to next, although it's nothing like in Fusion. It just puts a spot on your map to get to. I'm surprised by how different some of the layout of the world is even right at the beginning.

There's a lot of neat touches too. The title screen, while much nicer, is very similar to the original. The METROID text flashes and little stars go around its edge. Lots of remixes of the original songs as well.

The only odd thing so far is that Samus doesn't jump very high at all. I'm assuming she must get high jump boots at some point.