OtakuBoards

Which Is the Best RPG Battle-system?

KAOS

[color=indigo]Well, FF Crystal Chronicles is the closest an FF game has come to Zelda, but yes, I still think those two are in different genres. I consider FFCC to be an action RPG, while I consider Zelda to be in the adventure genre. Take Secret of Mana and Zelda: A Link to the Past, for example; they have their similarities, but one has a lot more RPG elements while the other is entirely action and exploration based. The same thing applies to FFCC and the 3D Zelda games.

*ignores the quote in his signature and argues with Olga anyway*
The point-and-click gameplay that Maniac Mansion uses is grouped in the classic PC adventure genre. LucasArts made quite a few games of that type for the PC, as well as other developers, and originally the "adventure" genre refered to those types of games. So Maniac Mansion wouldn't really fit into the RPG genre. :p[/color]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your arguement could maybe hold. However, I really don't think that you're prepared to take on an entire following who agrees with me. I would also like to point out that, I do not believe you have actually played Maniac Mansion before (watching your brothers doesn't count ;) ), so again your arguement fails (if that is true) for lack of experience. :)

I could go on, but I would rather see you try to bring yourself back up to par with inteligent creatures (while wallowing in defeat! HAHAHA :devil: ).

[color=indigo]People that call that sort of game RPGs don't know what they're talking about. All games of that variety are in the adventure genre. [url=http://www.gamespot.com/nes/adventure/maniacmansion][u]GameSpot[/u][/url] ("Genre: Adventure") agrees with me, as does [url=http://www.gamers.com/game/34287][u]Gamers.com[/u][/url] ("The well-known Lucasfilm computer advanture [sic] game is ported well to the NES.") [url=http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/history_1.htm][u]LucasArts[/u][/url] itself even agrees: "Indeed, the October 1987 release of Maniac Mansion was a milestone for the company, as it faithfully captured the group's clever sense of humor and paved the way for future adventure games." I don't think [i]you're[/i] prepared to deal with the following that agrees with [i]me[/i]. :p

And I have played Maniac Mansion, though it was the PC version, not the NES version. And I've played other [i]adventure[/i] games of that type also, such as The Secret of Monkey Island, which is even made by the same company. And besides, even if I hadn't played it for myself, I've seen it played a lot, so I'd know what it was like. I don't see how that would have been relevant.[/color]

I'd go as far as just calling Maniac Mansion games point and click adventures... just like most games similiar to them - King's Quest, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, etc.

The only ones I can think of offhand that would have RPG qualities would be the Quest for Glory titles.

[color=darkblue]I would've said LucasArts's 'point'n'click' titles were in a completely unique genre that isn't categorised into a genre itself, in my opinion, games like 'Day of the Tentacle', 'Sam and Max', 'Simon the Sorceror Series', 'The Monkey Island series' etc are 'Comedy/Adventure with large amounts of puzzles and other tactical stuff'.

I wouldn't even think that they were RPG's at all except for the fact you take on a role and interact with the world you are put in, heh. As far as I'm concerned anyway.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScirosDarkblade
My all-time favorite (and I've played SO MANY RPGS....) was the Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II setup. You controlled 6 people with a mouse, and could pause whenever you wanted to issue commands, and then unpause and the game would continue in real-time. You could always issue commands without pausing and make it totally real-time, but it was sometimes impossible to manage everything w/o slowing things down. It's similar to the setup of KOTOR, but it worked particularly well with BG and BGII (and Icewind Dale, of course).

Worst battle setup... I'm stuck between Morrowind and Xenosaga. Morrowind is an unbelievable game, and if the battle system is ignored (and it actually CAN be, honestly), the game is nearly flawless. But Xenosaga... ouch. I can fall asleep mid-battle it's so boring. It's sad to say that I find the 15 hrs. of cutscenes to be the highpoint of the game. I'm not lookign forward to Baten Kaitos's battle system either. I don't know how throwing cards into the battle system will help the pacing.

[QUOTE]What about the Legend of Zelda system? The way that it is handled with superb control and the idea of Z-targetting is an incredibly slick way to go to and from battle, and investigate certain parts of a puzzle.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]Having argued extensively with Des over this, I have come to the realization that Zelda games aren't really an RPG. Sure, you are [i]playing[/i] the [i]role[/i] of link and there is magic and ****, but it hasn't got that one element that pretty much sets RPs apart from the rest - stats. Most good RPs (and a lot of bad ones) have pages and pages of stats on your characters, not to mention the almost limitless supply of weapons. Zelda only has four screens and only two show stats, and they are simple as. Also, once weapons are obtained there is no way you can really upgrade them, apart from the gifts and ****. And yes, Des is gonna rub in they I gave in to his Point o view. *hangs head in shame*[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

The best RPG battle system I think is Morrowinds because its very simpl you press a button and chop chop. also, you feel more in control because yo udont just tell the game what you want to do like in all of those FF games. dont get me wrong, the FF games are great but I just think that their battle systems could be a lot better :eek:

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='Theodore']The best RPG battle system I think is Morrowinds because its very simpl you press a button and chop chop. also, you feel more in control because yo udont just tell the game what you want to do like in all of those FF games.[/quote]

That's like saying the old side-scrolling Batman games have the best plaform battle system of any title. I love Morrowind, and have put over 150 hours into the game, but I must say that its battle system is too simple to even consider a "system." And certainly it is less meritable than that of most battle-oriented RPGs, at least in my opinion.

People really love the NWN setup, but I think it was a step back from Baldur's Gate just because the superb in-battle party management that was especially good in the older games. NWN didn't add much (the radial menu is ok, but it's too slow for battle, so I hotkey everything I use anyway), and forces you to have only limited control over your henchman/summoned creature. Also, you don't have the option whether to pause or not in multiplayer, and that makes fighting just a bit too frantic sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
Turn-based RPGs (i.e. Lunar, FFX etc. or even the system in Xenosaga) are alright when you're just starting to play RPGs or are feeling really lazy, are a slow thinker, like to take your time, are feeling sick, have TOO MANY magic/skills in your lists so the enemies are kicking the sh!t out of you while you're trying to find a specific spell/ability (I've been through that alot in FFVIII).

However, the active-time battle system (i.e. FFVII and FFX-2, etc.) make it seem a little more let's say...realistic. Seriously though, if an RPG was reality, do you seriously think that the "bad guys" are gonna stand there and wait for you to make a move? If they are willing to do that they are dumb and seriously deserve a beating.

I'll put it with just about any battle-system as long as the game itself is good, but the active-time battles are definetly one of the more realistic ones.