OtakuBoards

Zone of the Enders

Squall

In my opinion, this was the best giant mecha game to date. Although it was too easy to complete, it was still very fun. I don't understand why it's been criticized so much, the graphics were stunning, the battles were fun and brilliant to watch, the enemies were nicely done, ect. I guess it's been criticized mainly for its easyness, and the players ability to beat most enemies with the popular button-mashing technuque. I don't know, what do you think?

And if you could do it without spoiling anything, what's the 2nd runner like?

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]Let's just say that if you had played The Second Runner before making this thread, you'd be talking about the sequel instead of the first game up there.

I liked the first Z.O.E., as I finished it several times. There were some obvious flaws, however, like the terrible voice acting reminiscent of old dubbed anime, way too short, moves that don't need to be used in the entire game, repeated and uninspired level design, and a bad execution to a good story. Many people call it the game that came with the $50 MGS2 demo, and with good reason. Understanding what the great Hideo Kojima was attempting to make however, I knew Z.O.E. 2 would deliver in every category the way I expected, and it did. The Second Runner is a game that fans of the original will love, and haters will accept as what the first game should've been like.[/color][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pirate Ninja
ZOE and ZOE2 are my two favorite games for the PS2. they're visually stunning, the gameplay is great. and the second one can be challenging regardless of what difficulty your playing on. not to mention a good story with memorable charcters. (who wouldn't remember the whiney brat Leo, or Ken's...assests...?) and in my opinion, Anubis is possibly the coolest character design in gaming history.

[quote name='Cyke][color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms] Many people call it the game that came with the $50 MGS2 demo, and with good reason.[/font'][/color][/quote]That's exactly how I see it. The first Zone of Enders was average. But, more than anything else, it was MGS2 fodder.

As a mech game, it was surprisingly intuitive. The lock-on combat immediately put me in control. I didn't have to suffer through hours of tutorials to have a good time. Also, it's [i]fast[/i]. The sensation you get from zooming across the skies in a mech big enough to topple a building, yet agile enough to perform battle tactics akin to something like Shinobi, is awesome. So, the movement was wonderful. Again, I just have to reiterate how cool it was controlling a massive robot that moved around with that much grace.

Unfortunately, the game had little more to offer. It suffered from a flaw apparent in Sega's latest forays in the hack n' slash genre. It was very repetitious.

It was an excellent game in my opinion, and the first one added something rather unique in traveling from one area to the other, though it wasn't that exciting. I would deffinately have to agree with Charles that having a mech that could go so freakin fast was awesome. You find yourself doing fancy, fly-by moves, when a simple shot would have done the trick.

One thing... Jehuty's main weapon sucks. The blade is awesome, but the "shot" was, 1) way too weak, 2) way too slow, and 3) only fired three shots at a time.

However, they made up for this with the dazzeling "boost" and "over-drive" weapons. The second installment built on those, making them bigger, and even cooler. Even though the voice acting was horrible in the first one, the second one did an excellent job, especialy with the occasional cut-scene.

One side note: I completed neither of them, but had a great time playing what I got to.

• 1 year later...
I bought this yesterday and beat it this morning, and its better than I expected. I really loove the combat system as it allowed me to make each encounter unique. I love the boss fights. The only two real problems I had were the invisible walls and the shortness of it, though that is actually good for me since Im working on beating, like 8 games right now... (I wrote a full review on gamefaqs)

I give it an 8/10

PS: Im surprised so few have heard of this...

I was never able to get a hold of the PS2 versions of this game but I was able to download the GBA version, Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars. This game has a complex anime style storyline and though it is easy it is a great Strategy RPG.