OtakuBoards

Future of Anime

eleanor

[color=firebrick] I feel like an old grandma...>_>

Anyways, what do you guys think will come of anime? Will it more openly be made in other countries rather than mainly from Asia? Will CG elements be more involved in the makings?

I personally hope that more comic artists will sprout up in the US and other places; one factor I believe is contributing to that is the Tokyopop Manga Contest. I think it's the first of its kind to come, and I wish more would follow. I don't have much time, but I just this thread as a quickie. What's your opinion?[/color]

I've seen animation from Korea... not much, but it seems to be gained prominance lately. It certainly is amazing looking from certain standpoints, but based on my experience so far, the story writing leaves a lot to be desired. That's obviously only based on films I'd have easier access to, though... so I can't say it's true for everything. I expect that will be overcome easily sooner or later, if it hasn't been already.

I expect that anime will have more and more CG worked into it... but I also think that Asia is still proud of its traditional animation capabilties and will stick with them. This is in comparison to Disney which apparently thinks that making everything into CG will save them. There's a lot of other factors they are seemingly just ignoring. So really, I just expect things to get "cleaner", so to speak. Things like Metropolis and even every day TV anime series seem to just look better and better each year.

As for the comic artists comment... The world could use more. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of western comics that try to imitate Eastern styles, but what can you do. It's popular.

[color=firebrick] What animations did you watch?

Korea can definately lacking in some places, but they do have their small highlights. Haha, like most cartoons, most of it is bad. They were the developers of Ragnorak and Tokyopop has recently liscened a bunch of manwhas, and I actually prefer the art in those books more than the mangas. But yeah, you're right, they could give more in plot.

Ah...poor Disney. They should have stayed with Pixar. XD Doesn't Pixar still have another Disney-idea movie they have to make? I feel bad for them, haha.[/color]

I really don't remember a lot of the movie or what it was called. It was sci-fi and really just a lot of style over substance heh.

Pixar is putting out a movie for Disney called The Incredibles. I am not positive if there is another after that, but once those movies are done the contract is over and they'll split up. Disney has already been firing their traditional artists since I guess they want to make their own CG movies. We'll see who wins out I guess lol.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1] The future of anime. I always wondered about that. But no matter what whetehr anime styles spread worldwide...Asia particuallry Japan wll always stand out and be one ahead of the competition.

Anime representd their culture the way society has and influence on their life, especially their artistic side. Yeah other countries bay try to duplicate it bu there will only be one original and the original will always stand out.

I do hope that more CG is incorporated but not to the point of being over redundant and all thier anime become CG. I think when it crosses that line it;'ll lose the main atrraction. The artisits tru ability with the pen and paper. Thats what I think I like most about anime is the way an artist is able to draw and I actually think that with many cartoons, except for some of the newer ones that look like crap.

Sorry off topic.

But I truly can't wait to see the advances of anime. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm always wondering what the future has in store for anime but, we have to think about the future of all animation in general. CG aided (traditional with a little CG coloring) animation is rapidly becoming the most used form of animation today not only in japan but, everywhere in the world. CG aided animation adds alot of depth and color to traditional and I personally don't like to see CG used in excess. Then, there is animation that is completely computer generated like Finding Nemo, Action Man, Max Steele, etc. There is a nice bunch of these shows out there but, it'll still be a long while before it becomes the majority of animation. Traditional animation is still going strong. In my opinion, the traditional style will not be shunned anytime soon since there are many of us that still prefer the hand drawn cels over computer rendering. In traditional animation, the artistst's signature and and their love for the art is embedded into every brush stroke. It's that kind of personal touch that will keep traditional animation going strong for more years to come.

Well, that's my opinion on it. My personal preference is traditional but, I do like some CG in it, too.

I believe anime will become more mainstream. People at school who didn't use to watch anime are into it. I see more malls with stores that sell anime merchandise (even huge retail store where they sell shirts with like Yu-Gi-Oh or Yu Yu Hakasho images). Most of my smaller cousins in my family (all under 14) love Yu-Gi-Oh, Trigun, Gundam Wing, Kenshin and other animes on Cartoon Network and other stations. I feel the younger generations will embrace anime more openly than the ones before them. I mean, when I was young and I watched anime, people wouldn't know what I was talking about and thought I was odd.

I'm not sure about other asian countries and whatnot, however, as far as CG is going...it's going to be huge. I'm not saying all animes are gonna be steered in that direction. However, it's gonna play a huge part in the future. When done right, it looks so awesome. ^_^

Well, judging from the current trend of anime fans popping up all over the world, I'm guessing that anime is going to go places. As for where I'm from (the US), anime still hasn't quite wedged its way in. People still look at it as 'animated', and they don't see anything more. They ignore the story, great characters, and the related music. For most people, at least in my area, it's just something for kids. Which really sucks. :cussing:

I'm just curious: Could the same be said for anime in Japan? Or is it more... socially accepted, so to say? Does everyone think that it's 'just for kids'? Should I stop asking questions now and let you guys reply? :D

[quote name='Shinken']I'm just curious: Could the same be said for anime in Japan? Or is it more... socially accepted, so to say? Does everyone think that it's 'just for kids'? Should I stop asking questions now and let you guys reply? :D[/quote]

The obvious answer is "no", considering the massive amounts of animation created there that is aimed towards more mature audiences. Obviously there are still those that are aimed at children, but there isn't really a stereotype for it like the one that exists in the US.

Also, this is unrelated, but could you remove some of those dashes from your signature? They're throwing off the page layout heh.

I believe that all anime in the future will be all CGI like a anime i saw called Dominator. I dont like the idea of this thought because it will mean we wont be able to call it anime anymore. As for the production i think it will still come from Asia but mainly Japan cause they will have more advanced technology. Its pretty sad really.

Yes, Asia did look to our animation for Ideas. American comics, Disney, Looney Tunes were a great influence on Asian art but, they have pioneered a style of their own. Now, there are domestic cartoons that try to duplicate anime so, they have become a huge influence on our culture in America as well. Samurai Jack and Teen Titans are based on Asian style art and we'll probably see more domestic cartoons that will be influenced by anime in the future. I hope to see more animation styles from other parts of the world make their way into our culture.

As for the CG part, I don't mind light CG work but, I still believe that traditional animation is here to stay for along time to come. Many people still appreciate a hand drawn work over mouse and pixels.

[quote name='Kapnronh']In my opinion, the traditional style will not be shunned anytime soon since there are many of us that still prefer the hand drawn cels over computer rendering. In traditional animation, the artistst's signature and and their love for the art is embedded into every brush stroke. It's that kind of personal touch that will keep traditional animation going strong for more years to come.[/quote]

Actually, the vast majority of "traditional" animation is now done on computers. Hand-painted cels are rapidly becoming a relic of the past. I personally prefer digital animation--it looks sharper, cleaner, and generally gorgeous (as anyone who has watched Fruits Basket can attest).

[quote name='maladjusted']Will CG elements be more involved in the makings?[/quote]

Yes. Have you seen Last Exile? LE is far ahead of its time, particularly in terms of CG integration. Voices of a Distant Star's lush, vivid atmosphere comes from its liberal use of CGI, yet not a single part of the OVA--whether animated "traditionally" or computer-generated--seems awkward or disparate. Animators will soon discover ways to flawlessly combine 2-D and 3-D, and will therefore have the ability to create shows that draw upon the best aspects of both mediums. For example, it's much easier to convey emotion through 2-D animation, but CG machines usually look very clean and snazzy.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1']Actually, the vast majority of "traditional" animation is now done on computers. Hand-painted cels are rapidly becoming a relic of the past. I personally prefer digital animation--it looks sharper, cleaner, and generally gorgeous (as anyone who has watched Fruits Basket can attest).[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately, I was misguided on the fact that the majority of studios are switching to computer drawn animation. Digital animation is great when it's done right. Real Bout High School, Samurai: Hunt For The Sword, and Fruits Basket are good examples of this. Computers make the cels much cleaner and sharper but, I still appreciate the work of a hand drawn anime. I dislike the total 3d computer generated stuff like Action Man, Max Steel, etc. That stuff is pretty popular and as technology gets better, so will the animation, but for right now, my personal preference is still the old traditional style. What I'm really afraid of is the possibility(note, I said POSSIBILITY) of companies using digitally generated voices instead of real voice actors. Technology has gotten so advanced that computers can now actually speak phrases with simulated emotion. It would save the companies money but, it'll make voice acting a thing of the past. I'm somewhat anxious to see the future of anime but then again, I'm a little afraid.

[quote name='Kapnronh'] What I'm really afraid of is the possibility(note, I said POSSIBILITY) of companies using digitally generated voices instead of real voice actors. Technology has gotten so advanced that computers can now actually speak phrases with simulated emotion. It would save the companies money but, it'll make voice acting a thing of the past. I'm somewhat anxious to see the future of anime but then again, I'm a little afraid.[/quote]

From what I understand, part of the reasons some people even watch some animes are because of the voice actors or actresses who are featured in them. Certain female actresses, for example Megumi Hayashibara, have almost a cult following. Just as if Miyazaki lending his talents to a project animation wise would instantly draw a fan base, certain voice actors would draw the same effect. I don't think that anytime soon they would use digital voices in place of real actors/ actresses.

A Korean feature called [b]Wonderful Days[/b] (released July 2003 in Korea) is beautiful but rather empty (the Region 3 DVD has English subs). The story is so simple (and yet so confused) that it doesn't seem to justify the obviously huge budget. This is likely the movie that [b]Semjaza Azazel[/b] can't remember the name of.

Animation work has been farmed out to Korea for years by US and Japanese production companies in order to [i]cut production costs[/i] and not for any artistic considerations. I don't see animation production moving out of Asia in the foreseeable future.

When I think of the "future of anime" I think of distribution methods. There are plenty of untried ways to make more money out of the existing catalog. One example is going back to releasing undubbed home media.

Licensing is now a vital part of the revenue stream for many anime series. Pre-production licenses provide income that can be funneled into the production of ambitious and expensive series such as "Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex."

Companies acquiring pre-production licenses want to fend off any incursions into their copyrights but also expect potential customers to wait months while they produce a dub track for the series. However, undubbed anime media has been proven to be marketable as witnessed by VHS sales of subtitled anime.

The potential customers for the product want to get ahold of it as soon as possible; they generate a certain amount of "buzz" over titles when they are announced or being aired in Japan, but this "buzz" is much fainter months or years later when dubbed media is finally released.

Companies with pre-production licences should launch subtitled home media as soon as possible, certainly not waiting to add a dub track. This would be the best way of protecting their property and sustaining excitement for any given series.

Guest keyblade master
I dont think anime is goin anywhere special and possibly down hill. All anime is going the same way to tragic endings and the almost resembling characters from all different anime. All the series are almost alike they are trying to makeall of them deep or all funny.To be honest I havent seen to many scary animes but I have seen a couple. I think that they should to try and create an anime that is scary and yet releiving.

• 3 months later...
I don't really have an opinion about the future of Anime. I just think we should think about the present, but then again...

It has the possibility of going down, down, down hill.

There's also that small chance that America will loosen up and let the other Animes through. I think that would be a very, VERY big step for Anime. But, America is showing almost NO signs of doing just that. Sadly. I wish they'd let loose on this. I don't think any Anime/Manga fan is happy about this at all. Especially if they live in America itself (Ex: Me!!) :flaming:

And so, those chances are not at 50/50% chances. More like 10/90! But, even though I'm not very happy about it, I still love my America! :love:

Personally, I hope North American artists [B]don't[/B] make any of their own anime in the future. In all honesty, I would perfer if they didn't dub anything either. (But that would be illogical. It must be done, because if it didn't I'm sure most of us wouldn't be here, and probably would never have been introduced to anime.) I don't think any English voice actor would ever be able to do as good as a job as their Japanese counterparts.

Actually, I hope more [I]artists [/I] do start to sprout outside of Asian countries... I wouldn't mind seeing some American manga. The standard 'comic book' doesn't really cut it for me. But American anime? No thank you. It'd have to be quite extraordinary to sway me, I think. Basically, I would rather anime be left in the hands of the experts, and that they continue to develop new techniques and styles, digital or not.

Americans are still in quite a state of closed-mindedness. Mind you, it has gotten quite a bit better over the last few years, but I don't think North America is anywhere near as open, accepting, and brave (as far as content on television) as Japan. If America started making a bevy of its own anime, we would find less Japanese imports, and more stereotypical "American" feeling anime. (As well as anime only specifically geared towards children, like it is after they air Americanized dubs.)

[QUOTE]Obviously there are still those that are aimed at children, but there isn't really a stereotype for it like the one that exists in the US.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. And I think there's a reason why so many American youth adore Dragonball Z and whatnot. Those bulging muscles (ew), insane amount of fighting... And there's always one solution to get out of a situation: "I must get [B]stronger[/B]!" That sounds typically American to me. I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of stuff started popping up like crazy.

Anime wont die, or go downhill. Unless the Americans start getting what they think are "bright ideas." o.o

~adempton

as long as disney doesn't start making anime, for instance 'spirited away' i rekon was on the edge of not being anime, and also they don't use to much CG elements, anime can only get better and better

[color=crimson][size=1]Please work on your post quality from now on, as posts like this are barely acceptable. *QA*[/color][/size]

First: Disney did NOT MAKE Spirited Away. [U]Studio Ghibli [/U] made Spirited Away. Disney just BOUGHT IT.

Second: IF american artists start to make 'anime' as you say, then, by definition, it would not BE anime. All that anybody would have to do is realize that, and BINGO! A new sub-culture is born: anime rip-off series (ex: Code LYOKO). WHY I'm against american animation is as follows: it is far too censored. I'm not one to only watch anime for the nudity ;) , but I mean that the way the characters act is far too restricted. There are no love interests allowed outside of 'first crush' situations. And the character development on a more psychological level is hindered. The characters are shallow representations of propaganda, and leave no room for a personal attachment from the viewer. American animations are more like a drug; with no end in site until the anticlimactic 'last episode' that still leaves a whole load of loose ends, and their only real achievement as far as enjoyment goes is temporary, due to the fact that all the problems are resolved within at most 4 episodes. Whereas in anime, there are many underlying themes; some of which are propaganda and stereotyping, whilst others are of a more personal level, and are able to intertwine the viewer with a stronger connection to the show.

Ok...now that I have vented, I will move on...I fear that the future of anime may be a grim one. With the recent takover by the CN Otaku, anime has nowhere to go but to the genre of 'pop culture fad.' I fear that there will be hundreds of thousands of people that have only seen dubbed, edited for US Television Anime who will litter the schools and streets. Instances of this can already be seen through the sale of anime paraphernalia in big-name stores. In other words...for the CN Otaku that will no doubt read this: anime is on the backside of a really steep hill, in a mountain range. It will go FAR downhill, soon, but will then lose it's 'fadability' around the year 2015, and the quality will then, hopefully, return.

[quote name='Terrax']thats i meant to say, sorry[/quote]

[color=crimson][size=1]Welcome to the OtakuBoards!

Upon reading the rules, you will notice that posts like this are unacceptable, as they are considered spam. Next time, put more thoughts and efforts into what you are saying, and try to stay on topic. Also, correct capitalization, grammar, and punctuation is HIGHLY encouraged. We like to maintain very high standards here, as you can see by observing others' posts. From now on, please adhere to these rules, or else your posts, such as this one, will be deleted.

*QA*[/color][/size]