OtakuBoards

Ralph Nader

DeathBug

[font=comic sans ms][color=indigo][size=1]Well, for those who haven't heard, Mr. Ralph Nadar is back, and has thrown his hat into the 2004 election as the Independent party candidate.

Several people are very upset about this; specifically, Democrats. The votes Nadar drew away from the left in the last presidential election cost Al Gore the presidency. Democrats are basically saying, "Aw, not again!" and calling Nadar a "spoiler"; they want him to drop out.

I think that the attitude many Democrats are taking regarding Mr. Nadar is horrible. Nadar has every right to run, and to try and deny him that right just because he's going to mess up your game plan is criminal.

Basically, I'm from two schools of thought regarding this position. First, third party politicians are going to run, and they're going to draw votes away from the main parties. That's part of the political game. It happened to the Republicans with Ross Perot, and now it's happening to the Democrats. Next election, there's a good chance it will happen to someone again. Those complaining should learn to deal with it.

Second, and far more important, is that the Democrats (who are complaning) are trying to deny Nadar the ability to take a political stance on an issue, and silencing his right to political speech. Realistically, a third party in America can't hope to win under present conditions. However, they still have a political voice, and should run if they feel the need to.

I'd actually like it if more third parties made the headlines and got their messages out to the public at large. It's important for the basic principles of the republic that political speech not be impeeded. Those in the Democratic party who would silence Nadar to increase their odds of winning thee lection should be disgusted with themselves.

At least, that's how I see it. Thoughts?[/color][/size][/font]

[color=green]I think that it's a great thing that Mr. Nader is once again running for president. He'll siphon off votes from whoever the Democratic candidate is, inadvertantly helping President Bush to win reelection.

I don't see how anyone could vote for Nader, as it's obvious he's going nowhere. Every single one of his runs for the presidency has ended in failure; not even garnering ten percent of the vote last year.

This year, Nader seems to be less likely to draw liberal votes because there's a significant difference between the platforms of the Democrats and the Republicans. The fervent opposition to President Bush will probablly make liberals think twice before voting for a third party candidate, even those on the extreme left.

Nader will draw votes in this election, but I doubt he'll be a spoiler for the Democrats again.[/color]

[quote name='Boba Fett][color=green']I think that it's a great thing that Mr. Nader is once again running for president. He'll siphon off votes from whoever the Democratic candidate is, inadvertantly helping President Bush to win reelection.[/quote][/color]

How does this introductory part of your quote relate at all to the following?[color=green][quote][b][color=green]I don't see how anyone could vote for Nader, as it's obvious he's going nowhere.[/b] Every single one of his runs for the presidency has ended in failure; not even garnering ten percent of the vote last year.

This year, Nader seems to be less likely to draw liberal votes because there's a significant difference between the platforms of the Democrats and the Republicans. [b]The fervent opposition to President Bush will probablly make liberals think twice before voting for a third party candidate, even those on the extreme left.

Nader will draw votes in this election, but I doubt he'll be a spoiler for the Democrats again.[/color][/b][/color][/QUOTE]

Ralph Nader isn't in the race just for votes. He knows that he won't get the presidency but, he wants to bring environmental and consumer rights issues to the people and to the main canidates. He just wants his issues considered and debated in the public arena. I'm one of the few people who voted for him in 2000. I'm voting for him again this year because even if he gets only 2 percent of the vote, The main canidates will be faced with those issues come the debates. Consumer rights and environmental issues are something that I personally would like to see Bush and the Dem. nominee to discuss. I better stop now before I get TOO political.

[size=1][color=red] First you spell his name "Nadir" in the title, and then you spell it "Nadar" in your post.

Either it's sarcasm or it's ignorance.

Since you can't take the time of day to spell names correct so you look like your opinion should be heard, I'm not going to waste my time and read it.

Politics is a waste of time for me. What with Bush's proposal to amend the constitution and add that only different-sex marriages are right, and what with what I've seen of the Democratic party, I tend to not care a single bit for politics. I care for it on one side, but honestly. So much of it is a waste of time.

Anyway, Ralph Nader can run for president no matter who says so. And so he's going to. If people think he steals some of the votes, well, he does. If people think he allowed Bush to win over Gore, they can think that too. I say let the man do what he wants. This country is based on freedom, and Nader has the freedom to do whatever he wants; and for all that's worth, I see no issue here.

What was the one quote? "So suppose you were an idiot. . .and suppose you're a politician. . .but I repeat myself." I tweaked it. "Politician" was originially "congressman." And the original quote was by Mark Twain, whose real name is Samuel Clemens.[/size][/color]

Guest lavalamp
[QUOTE=Mitch][size=1][color=red] First you spell his name "Nadir" in the title, and then you spell it "Nadar" in your post.

Either it's sarcasm or it's ignorance.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

Because regardless, the correct spelling or lack of such of his name has so much to do with the actual subject: opinions regarding his running. Thanks for throwing out those two options in the end for us since we obviously couldn't come to the ever-so-intelligent conclusion by ourselves. Anyway,

I think Kapnronh brought up good points. For those of us not drilled into a particular party by nothing more than trivial things (upbringing, candidate appearance, etc.) it's a huge favor. Him running provides a deeper look into other candidates and their motivations.

[QUOTE=Mitch][size=1][color=red] First you spell his name "Nadir" in the title, and then you spell it "Nadar" in your post.

Either it's sarcasm or it's ignorance.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Actually, it's niether. The title of my post had been altered since I last checked it this morning. Drix D'Zanth is listed as the one who altered it. I've PM'ed him on the subject, and await an explanation of what happened.

[quote name='Trastic Nerve']He's an egomaniac who only gets off by looking at the 20 people who vote for him. He's also an idiot, but everyone already knows that.[/quote]

That's irrelevant to the point, which wasn't about Nadar himself so much as it's about certain person's reactions to Nadar.

Many vocal Democrats have decryed him and said that he has no business running, as he'll only draw away votes from the Democratic nominee. My opinion was that behavior and line of thinking is very malicious, because these people would seek to squelch Nadar's right to political expression.
[/color][/size][/font]

Guest FlashCube
Spam? That's my opinion on the guy and him running! Sheesh........I thought that was what this thread was for, voicing your opinion.......guess not.

Guest lavalamp
No, to avoid spamming you have to:

1. Type out long and generally repetitive posts.
2. Agree with what someone who's been here for [insert period of time here] says.

It's all in the interest of keeping a "quality" community. >:3

Simply: embrace egoism and lose one of your eyes.

liek omgz i spammed :( oh noz

It's internet big-dick-syndrome.

[quote name='lava lamp']It's internet big-dick-syndrome.[/quote]

Are you sure you haven't developed it? >:3

As for Mr. Nader...well, of course he'll draw votes toward himself; that's pretty much what prominent third-party candidates do. He'll never get near enough to votes to even have a snowball's chance of winning a state but he [i]will[/i] draw votes.

Personally, Ralph Nader is way too far to the left to ever get me to vote for him, but that's just me, heh. Frankly, none of the candidates really appeal to me too much, so I'll have to end up taking the "lesser of two evils" approach come election day.

Guest lavalamp
[quote name='Shinmaru']Are you sure you haven't developed it? >:3.[/quote]

I'm sure with your extensive experience in the field you'd be the only one to tell me. >:3

[quote name='lava lamp']I'm sure with your extensive experience in the field you'd be the only one to tell me. >:3[/quote]
[color=#707875]Watch it, lava lamp. This thread brought you pretty close to a ban. I advise you to be careful about both your language, and your comments to staff.

Also, Flashcube, this thread [i]is [/i]for your opinion. But we want to see some level of detail in posts. It's important to create posts that contribute positively to the discussion.

In any case, I'm going to close this thread. It's pretty much at 50% spam right now and it's been open long enough for people to comment if they felt so compelled.[/color]