OtakuBoards

Astro Boy on Cartoon Network

Shinken

I was watching Yu Yu Hakusho today, and saw a commercial for Astro Boy. Apparently, it's coming to CN March 8th. But, no details were included. Such as: What is Astro Boy, is it just a movie, or a new show, and is it worth watching? *hint hint*

Guest keyblade master
I heard of Astro Boy and to tell you the truth i think it looks really bad. This show reminds me of SonicX and well it just looks really bad.

... This is just my opinion though

densuke, after reading your other posts, I can easily state that you're among OB's best new members. Just avoid underestimating the power of a complete sentence. ^_~

keyblade master, your replies are generally a bit borderline, so I'd be very grateful if you listened to this warning. Please explain why Astro Boy "looks really bad"--otherwise, your comments will not help Shinken in the slightest.

Thank you very much. ^_^

~Dagger~

Guest keyblade master
Thank you for telling me this DAGGERIX1. I think that Astro Boy looks bad because to me the animation looks really bad and well i guess thats it cause call me crazy but I think an anime isnt worth watching if its not drawn good this is just me though.

DAGGERIX1 how's that?

[COLOR=Navy]Better. ^_^ However, you should always strive to improve. Practice makes perfect, after all.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

Astro Boy is a classic in and of itself. It's up there with Future Boy Conan and other older anime as something I feel stood the test of time (although Conan is just from the late 70s). Sure, they're not insanely deep or well animated, but they're still very enjoyable.

As a remake, however, I really don't know how interested I can be in it. There's always something lost in the process. What I've seen of it, though, is definitely not unimpressive from an animation standpoint. You just have to be accepting of Osamu Tezuka's artwork, which this is obviously based on heh... something I find many people (younger ones mostly, it seems) aren't too keen on.

For those that care, SEGA is putting out a Astro Boy game here in the near future as well. I believe Treasure developed it (known for Ikaruga most recently). Maybe they're hoping to make the Astro Boy license go somewhere in the US.

Anyway, there's lots of random art, pics and videos here: [url]http://astroboy.jp/c/009/index.html[/url]

I think I remember that name from somewhere. [I]Astroboy...[/I] Yes, it does ring a bell somewhere in my small, rather confused brain. How far back was it- does anyone know? Oops, my three and a half week puppy keeps standing on the keyboard, crazy thing. Awwww. Anyway, back to Astroboy. It certainly looks...interesting. I don't think I'll bother with it though, unless it's on, and I'm watching TV.
Well, see ya's- if you watch it, and it's absolutley fantastic, make a post somewhere and I will bother to watch it ;)
Cinnamon

[size=1][color=navy]Astro Boy... Heh... I never got used to that American version of the name. They call it "Tetsuwan Atom" in Japan. 'Tetsuwan' means Iron Arm, and 'Atom' is the name of the main character. I think he was Tezuka Osamu's first major and probably the most well known character in all his creation. We see Tezuka's picture, we picture Atom. We see Atom, we picture Tezuka.

But anyway, for the series itself... I don't recommend people to watch it. As Semjaza noted, a good deal of content is lost in the process of a remake, and unless you happen to be a die-hard Tezuka fan, you'll probably become bored with the storyline quickly. It's mostly going to be Atom beating up on big bad guys with his super robot strength. The may have put in some drama to fit the current times, but I would rather shoot for a different modern anime for drama instead of Astro Boy.

Hopefully, they will far exceed my expectations (and also overturn my opinions here) and make it into something spectacular.
[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]I personally think Astro Boy is a really great show, in all honesty the animation reminds me that of Cyborg 009; which I also enjoyed watching. The episodes up until yesterday though just seemed to be character development for Astro (which is a good thing in my opinion) but yesterday *proceeds to drool* I believe was one of the finer episodes thus far, I mean here we introduce a robot that is actually as powerful or not more powerful than Astro himself until he gets a little "jolt" from the past which then allows him to pull off an impressive manuver.

All in all I think Astro Boy was an improvement from the repeating episodes of my chibi gundams. I mean I love the chibiness but Astro Boy is really a great improvement and I can't wait to see more. Also, Tezuka Osamu is a bloody genius for making this series.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I carry a deep interest in the animes of lore that brought to us the fine shows we see today. When I had heard that such shows like Astro Boy and the like were going to be aired. For reasons such as-I for thel ife of me couldn't find any other samples of Tezukas work at the time, which was many years ago (still fresh to anime at the time) and as far as it goes remake or no, I think it's worth a viewing, if at least through the first few eps so that you can at least run it through your brain for a few days or so. Get an idea for it at least. Plus like Domon said, at least it brings some new life into things. Won;t go into the other stale things that could use some change. So give it a go, it won't kill ya thats for sure. It's a part of history.

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Although I confess to seeing only a couple of episodes, the ones I've seen where rather good. The original Astro Boy was made in the 60's so it tends to be black and white. There is a colour version which was made in the 80's, but I do not know if this is the re- make you speak of. Another point I would like to add is wether anyone has seen the colour series on DVD as I wish to buy it. I've seen it on video but that was about 8 yrs ago when I didn't know what anime was. Most other series it is possible to find them in a select number of shops in Australia but Astro Boy is a hard one to track down.[/color][/font]

Guest VCrow
Hi im new to the forums, this is my very first post. But besides that..

Domon: It reminds you of Cyborg 009 because it was made by the same person.. i forget his name, but if you watch the commercial for Astroboy, it says "another one of "name's" greatest works. *Cues Anime Guru's to help him out*

Anyways.. many people say they don't like the non-archetype anime look of Astroboy and Cyborg 009, but thats mainly because they haven't seen the series yet.

Keyblade: I suggests renting an Anime movie called Metropolis, its made by the same person and has the same look as Astro Boy. I'm 90% sure that you will grow to like its look after watching Metropolis..

Guest sarah3099
[quote name='Shinken']I was watching Yu Yu Hakusho today, and saw a commercial for Astro Boy. Apparently, it's coming to CN March 8th. But, no details were included. Such as: What is Astro Boy, is it just a movie, or a new show, and is it worth watching? *hint hint*[/quote]It's some show Japan made in the late 80's or so, but they took it off after a while. They're putting it back on and they've apperently revised the anime because the last time I saw anything 'astroboy' it looked like anime from beforeI was born.

[quote name='sarah3099']It's some show Japan made in the late 80's or so, but they took it off after a while. They're putting it back on and they've apperently revised the anime because the last time I saw anything 'astroboy' it looked like anime from beforeI was born.[/quote]

1980s? Astroboy originated in the early 60s!

The new one is the 2003 version.

-ArV

[QUOTE=VCrow]Hi im new to the forums, this is my very first post. But besides that..

Domon: It reminds you of Cyborg 009 because it was made by the same person.. i forget his name, but if you watch the commercial for Astroboy, it says "another one of "name's" greatest works. *Cues Anime Guru's to help him out*

Anyways.. many people say they don't like the non-archetype anime look of Astroboy and Cyborg 009, but thats mainly because they haven't seen the series yet.

Keyblade: I suggests renting an Anime movie called Metropolis, its made by the same person and has the same look as Astro Boy. I'm 90% sure that you will grow to like its look after watching Metropolis..[/QUOTE]

No, Cyborg 009 was created by, Shinji Ishinimori, I believe was his name. He created several concepts that have now become a popular part of sentai (the Japanese superhero shows that Power Rangers are derived from). He is the creator of Kikaider, and a long-running series called Kamen Rider.

Osama Tetzuka (the so-called "God of Comics") is the creator of Astro Boy, Metropolis and Kimba the White Lion (the show that the Lion King supposedly ripped-off.)