OtakuBoards

Tokyo Tips

Adam

So I'm going on a business-related trip to Tokyo soon. I've never been before, so I was wondering if the more experienced Japanese travelers on the boards had any suggestions for cool places to visit, exclusive stuff to buy, things to do, etc.

I won't get THAT much time to explore on my own, but I'll definitely have some. :D

Oodaiba is probably a pretty interesting place to go. I had the opportunity to go when I was in Japan last Spring, but unfortunately didn't take it. Here's a quick, informational resource on Oodaiba: [url]http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/RI/kanto/tokyo/odaiba/odaiba.html[/url]

Other than that I don't remember a lot of 'tourist attractions' I went to in Tokyo, though a lot of people wanted to go to Disneyland (why? there's one here too...).

Personally, I found just walking around to be pretty fun. Just visiting shops of interest can be really fun. The greatest aspect of this is that you're such a novelty to the Japanese people - maybe not so much in Tokyo (I spent most of my time in the smaller city of Wakayama), but I had lots of people come up to me with broken English. It's pretty fun, especially if you do know some Japanese.

Speaking of which, Japan is especially fun if you DO know some Japanese, mainly just when buying things.

Guest lavalamp
Enjoy the pizza and don't take a taxi from Narita Airport to Tokyo.

Japan is a blast if you're patient. If you know [b]very[/b] basic Japanese, you'll be OK. When I first arrived I was completely overwhelmed, but don't let it get to you. Try to see as much as possible and keep an open mind.

Try to exchange your money before you leave for Japan. It's difficult to do it outside of the airport unless you're propped up in an expensive hotel.

Have a good time.

DON'T go to Ginza first. (it's one of the districts of Tokyo). Everyhting there is REALLY EXPENSIVE. Most tourists/visitors/travelers make the mistake of going there FIRST, and there fore get the impression everything is expensive in Japan. XD

I'd say learn all the districts (well the main ones) like Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ginza, etc. I myself still don't know them all by heart X( but it's still bets to know them, so ya know, you won't get lost. :P

Amateur advice, but still. ^^;

I'm going in June for pure vacationizing, and personally I would be disappointed if I don't end up somewhere where monkeys try to steal my food. Basically I want to cruise around in Tokyo and buy random japanese transformers stuff. I have little advice, because I haven't been there yet. Maybe you can post your experience when you get back?

[color=darkblue]I would sugest trying to go to some of the Shinto shrines. I've heard they're really beautiful. You may even get to be part of one of those Tea Ceremonies. ^^

I'd also say try and see Tokyo Tower, but I don't exactly know where it is...[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
So Tokyo was really cool. The sushi was great, Akihabara was ridiculous - every other store was anime or video games - Harajuku made me smile (thanks wrist cutter), and the culture was interesting. (I especially like Japanese commercials.)

So, all-in-all, a great city. Not as expensive as I thought it'd be either - I think it's because the dollar is so strong against the yen right now.

• 4 weeks later...
I've never been to Japan, but it is one of my ambitions to go and live there one day, and i was wondering if anyone could help me, and give me some advice for when I eventually go, as there has been talk of going to Japan in the six weeks holiday here at home, and I was wondering what it's like?