OtakuBoards

Roleplaying Games

Xander Harris

[quote name='Xander Harris']Yah, I'd like to check out CyberPunk 2020 someday, but I think I had better get Dnd 3.5 first. My current campaign has some cyberpunk elements in it (how can anyone's home-brew world avoid them in this post-Matrix age ;) ) but I have yet to do any pure cyberpunk.[/quote]

Well if you want to find specificly 2020 you need to look on ebay or find a really good used bookstore.Even the gaming store I go to didn't even have a used copy.Though they did have a bunch of other titles I wanted to buy.But if you don't nessacarily want 2020 I think 2030 is still in print.From what I know the only diffrence is in the tecnology.

The one and only pen and paper role playing game that I ever played was Rifts. It was a lot of fun. Though it was odd at first. That was because I wasn't used to the whole dry marker white board and all of the dice rolling and such. I never role played like that before.

It was fun though. It was even more fun because I got to hang out with all of friends. Though a couple of them kept on killing eachother's character. lol

Guest BeccaDG
[QUOTE=Xander Harris]
I'm surprised more girls don't roleplay. There is a huge amount of females who read fantasy fiction, and a sizable amount that write it. Plenty of girls like acting. And if you show me a women who doesn't enjoy social interaction, I'll show you a funtioning computer without a CPU. So why don't more women roleplay? Mainly, I think, because so many groups are already made of tons of men, and because of some of the social stigma put onto the hobby by fundamentalist baptist preachers. But I think that there is nothing about the medium itself that turns off ladies, in fact, as I said earlier, I think there are many reasons why girls would [I]like[/I] roleplaying. Men just need to be more open to the possibility, and let the girls actually play the game instead of spending the whole time hitting on them or demeaning them.[/QUOTE]

I [i]AM[/i] one of those rare femal RPGers. I started out in first edition D&D. I was given my first Player's Guide by an older male friend, and all of my face to face table top gaming has been with male players. I didn't meet other women who played until I got online. I've played 1st and 2nd edition D&D, Shadowrun, and Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Changeling: The Dreaming, and Mage: The Ascension. In case you couldn't guess once I got into White Wolf's Storyteller series I found I enjoyed them quiet a bit. I prefer more of a story, not that I haven't done lots of hack-n-slash. In my limited experience the male players didn't enjoy the same kinds of stories I do as much as the female players I've met online.

There's my two cents.

[color=darkviolet]One of my friends thought it was weird that I would try to role play-same woman who thought her husband would out grow it when he was still playing at 23.

As for my character-I forgot her species except that she was a nasty vampire and very sarcastic. She had high scores in charm and intelligence and worked at a hospital so she didn't have to go drain people.

I should also take this opportunity to say she was a bit of a player and other stuff oh, and a bad driver. I had her crash a guy's car in one of our campaigns-come to think of it, it was the same guy who tried to tell me where to sit in my own house. Of course, I also had to save said vampire's undead hiney so he had no right to complain-damn trimmeir.

Oh, here's my drawing of my character. I was the only one who actually drew their character instead of using a computer program like the guys. I did it while looking at a cover of a CD.[/color]

Good Lord Farto... quit complaining! I mean... just cus you suck doesn't mean you can blame the system;)

Haha! I, personally, love the GURPS system... if you play it right. You have to be careful and watch your moves... you get cocky and you'll get burned quick! Farto... we deserve everything we get "invisible" or impossible(eh hem demon mages) we only get what we deserve!

But on the subject of role playing... the first time I showed up I was dumbfounded by everyone! Everybody was doing stuff and rolling dice while I was still trying to figure out what the hell Bearing is!

But 'lo and behold, I go three times and I'm the most dedicated... you heard me farto... MOST DEDICATED... role player Xander's got! I write 3 page long journals... I plan 3 characters ahead... just in case I die early... once or twice!

Besides Farto... I think the whole group would have to agree... I'm one of the only people in our group to diversify characters from myself and to actually get fully into character! In all honesty... there's the problem with being in a hack and slash group... they never think at all! But hey... we get some good laughs here and there...

[color=darkred]I've played many paper and pen RPG's. Some of the games I have played include:[/color]

[color=darkred]D+D 3rd ed.[/color]
[color=darkred]D20 Modern[/color]
[color=darkred]Oriental Adventures[/color]
[color=darkred]Ravenloft (which is scary for low level characters)[/color]

[color=darkred]Because we started as a group of begginers numerous mishaps occured (like anchient red dragons being inserted into level 2 quests by one member of OB). Several other mishaps along those lines occurred until. The member of OB read the DMG and then the frequency of these events dropped radically.[/color]

[color=darkred]One of my other friends created quests that needed comlex logical thinking to finish. Resulting in bad quests. Strangely enough it was this very friend who made me hate D+D after he screwed over 5 or 6 of my characters in a rather 'in your face kind of way'. In one quest he decided to hang my character upside down for a number of weeks, then when we got to the nearest town he stole all my possesions and sold me as a slave.[/color]

[color=darkred]I have two moments that would classify as my favourite. The first is when we had a quest where each of us played various monsters (such as pit fiends and storm giants) and where allowed to ravage several towns in the local vicinity before being chased by a good storm giant on a cloud.[/color]

[color=darkred]The second was when my warband managed to trek half way across a continent with no injuries (a very rare occurance). That quest worked well until the above mentioned friend entered the quest where he proceeded to get us butchered by a (I forget the name but one of those multi headed things).[/color]

[color=darkred]It's strange all my best memories of paper and pen RPG's are when the hated friend weren't there.[/color]

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Well first off it was a Hydra and I believe that party treked halfway across a continent [sp?] in search of a magical sword only to realise they didn't have so much as a description of what the weapon looked like, now whose leadership was that under?

They were the good times, me the DM, the party, no need for the excessive misinterpretation of the fickle narratives OB has instilled upon me. I enjoyed playing, well DMing D&D, though I have no particular "favourite" moment (I can't even remember half the quests I put you guys through.). Likewise with a "least favourite" moment.

Oh, if you are going to attempt one of these "Pen and Paper" games (they're really dice games in my opinion.) make sure you read the rulebook, three thousand year old read dragons don't make a good foe for a bunch of theives and thick headed fighter weilding a rusty old bastard sword...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New][QUOTE=AnonymousSource]Good Lord Farto... quit complaining! I mean... just cus you suck doesn't mean you can blame the system;)

In all honesty... there's the problem with being in a hack and slash group... they never think at all! But hey... we get some good laughs here and there...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Mike (Your name *is* Mike, right? Seriously: you've never actually TOLD me your name, even though I keep asking. I'm never calling you Farto. Anyway...) that's...I don't even remember what your friend was replying to. I'll just leave it, then..._ _U

Anyhoo, as far as group types go, my campaigners vary. They go from being intelligent thorough-thinkers to "Who can kill the most commoners in fifteen strikes?!!?"
I was very pleased with how Goneral actually remembered that she had a little magical item that could be used to defeat a Flesh Golem (I know about the magic-resistance thing, BTW...heheheh...heheheh...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! *ahem*). Confusing the crap out of your players is always fun. Especially when they come to you and say, "I DIDN'T THINK YOU WERE THAT EVIL!! I HATE YOU!!"

Once again: ahem.

Chibi, your character looks very cool, though somewhat disproportioned. I see you played an urban RPG. I don't know whether to laugh and call you a wuss or ask what kind of magical items you used. >_> <_<

Anyway, yes...[/FONT]
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AnonymousSource]Good Lord Farto... quit complaining! I mean... just cus you suck doesn't mean you can blame the system;)

Haha! I, personally, love the GURPS system... if you play it right. You have to be careful and watch your moves... you get cocky and you'll get burned quick! Farto... we deserve everything we get "invisible" or impossible(eh hem demon mages) we only get what we deserve!

But on the subject of role playing... the first time I showed up I was dumbfounded by everyone! Everybody was doing stuff and rolling dice while I was still trying to figure out what the hell Bearing is!

But 'lo and behold, I go three times and I'm the most dedicated... you heard me farto... MOST DEDICATED... role player Xander's got! I write 3 page long journals... I plan 3 characters ahead... just in case I die early... once or twice!

Besides Farto... I think the whole group would have to agree... I'm one of the only people in our group to diversify characters from myself and to actually get fully into character! In all honesty... there's the problem with being in a hack and slash group... they never think at all! But hey... we get some good laughs here and there...[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]What are you smoking? You died! I'm still alive. Just...in a coma...temporarily...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]

Once again: ahem.

Chibi, your character looks very cool, though somewhat disproportioned. I see you played an urban RPG. I don't know whether to laugh and call you a wuss or ask what kind of magical items you used. >_> <_<

Anyway, yes...[/FONT]
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet] Yeah, she's extremely out of proportion isn't she? I was looking at a picture from MTv's Return of the Rock CD and that's how it happened. :laugh: She looks just like me, don't ya think? :wigout:

As for laughing or calling me a wuss, I'd pick laughing since it was my first game. I didn't have any magical items or abilities, but I had a gun and 4 points in fire arms. Yeah, I couldn't drive,I had eternal undead PMS and a gun. That city was going down! :laugh:

One of the guys in the game had a girlfriend who was a werefox-then he tried to sneak in and see her after all this other stuff happened. Then there was this whole deal with someone after the prince. That's how the super dude's character got uglyfied.

I really annoyed this one guy's character who played an older vampire, but he understood I was new and hated the fact that nobody had asked me if I wanted to become one of them in the first place.

So, did anyone's game masters have strange ways to deal with some of the players? Or if you were the GM did you deal with some of the players in an unique way?[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]
So, did anyone's game masters have strange ways to deal with some of the players? Or if you were the GM did you deal with some of the players in an unique way?[/color][/QUOTE]

I dunno...most of the dm's I know usually punish players that are out of line, in some way. Either by killing them, breaking something important/ valuable that their character has, or by kicking the player out of the game all together, then killing his character. Very rarely are they warned, other than at the beginning of a game.

My cousin david told me a story where he got a rare 'in game' warning. His 13th lv. ranger and his friends 12th lv. Orc warrior wandered out of town looking for a fight. The dm said they came acrossed a large gathering of orcs and goblins about to sacrifice a young woman to a Great blue dragon. They thought that they could kill the orc shaman performing the sacrifice, and that would create enough terror and confusion amongst the monsters that they would be able to rescue the women!

The dm said:
"What? Come again? are you sure you want to do that?" :devil: The 12th lv. orc warrior looked at david and said :
"Bet I kill him before you..." Both of them drew their bows, David killed the orc shaman in one shot. The Dragon looked over at them, breathed lightning once, killing them both instantly. :laugh: The harsh part about it was, they were carrying most of the groups most powerfull magic items for safe keeping. :laugh:

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Hey-oh!

I figured I'd ask this here, rather than stating a new thread, and seeing as all you guys have played these style of RPs before I figure there is more chance of a reply here.

What do you think makes a good quest? In a fantasy setting in particular. Being a DM I often go over board and flesh out my NPCs as if they were individual characters. This usually means I don't need to guide the PCs into a quest but just moderate them in the world I created. Do you think this is a good idea? Why?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[b][size=1][color=darkgreen]
I have never actually played a "brand name" RPG, I guess you could call it. I didn't even know it was an RPG when I played it. I don't know if this type is very common, considering I'm fairly new to the world off RPG's, but it was really fun while it lasted.

What we would do is get out a sheet of paper, one of us would write a line or two on the paper. And between classes, we would hand the paper off to each other. Then I would write a line or two down based on what had been previously written.

The story lines were absolutely rediculous and absolutely hilarious. Many of them involved Monica Lewinski and a feral demon. Use your imagination to fill in the blanks...

Anyway, it made for some great memories and stories to read whenever we rediscovered them in the back of our lockers at the end of the year. And something tells me that it held a greater sentimental value than what a "manufactured" game could ever offer.

If anyone ever wants to try one of these RPG's with me, I'm open to it anytime. Just PM me and we can plan it out. [/b][/size][/color]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]A good story? Well, I think what's important, from the DM's perspective, is to make your characters feel stupid. I mean, what's not great about diverting attention from a tiny, little, majorly significant detail, then bringing it back to bite them in the *** later on?

What's important is to make sure there is actually a plot. After all, you *are* basically coming up with a story. Only, it's interactive.

You really need to know the people in order to plan the right campaign. A mix of hack'n'slash and logic seems to be working for my group. To this point, at least...

Another thing is to be a DM who, though not entirely evil towards the PCs, is not going to submit to their every little whiney whim.

(Whiney Wym. *laughs *** off*)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Wel,l I never really ever played or for that matter new about any real roleplaying games, but ever since my good friend Mr Xander Harris got me into his group I have been serioiusly addicted. I havent missed a session yet and its probably been 10 in a row so I think thats pretty good for a newb :cool:

Plus, I think its pretty cool I understood it so quickly but that, I believe, is mainly because of Mr Xander Harris. Kudos my buddy :D

Why, thank you for the kind words, Theodore! Yeah, like I said, RPG isn't that hard to pick up if the group you are with is willing to help you. And welcome to OtakuBoards, my favorite site on the internet!

Making the characters feel stupid is good sometimes... so long as they feel you gave them a fair chance. You have to let them win sometimes, though, or else they get frustrated and may quit.

I've begun playing D&D on the turn of the new year, and quite frankly, I love it. Our DM might try throwing a random Fireball at us but I (At the least) always make out of it without a scratch...It might help that I'm a Level 5 Frenzied Berzerker though, but still. I love how cordinated my group is. Yes, there are a few of us that just go in and slaughter and come out with a premature case of dead, but when we actually team up, think ahead and junk, we make it to the big bad Emerald Dragon and die there instead of dieing AT the entrance like my friends always do...I guess the dice just like me.