OtakuBoards

Azumanga Daioh

hawke3000

Anyone here like this anime. I absolutely adore it. It's about 7 friends doing things that friends do. There really isn't any real plot, just the wonderful cast of characters doing everyday things. If you havn't seen it I really recommend it.

Anyways, on to the point of this topic.

For anyone who has seen and liked this anime, you will know that it has a wonderful cast of characters. I just wanted to know, who is your favourite and why?I like Sakaki and Chiyo. I like Sakaki because I think it's really funny how she is this really cool kid that has a secret obsession with cats and I like Chiyo because she is just so [I]CUTE[/I]!! :love2:

I took a look into this a while a little less than a year ago, so I can't really remember the names to much, but the episodes I saw (The first 6 or 7 I think) register clearly in my mind. I personally love the two teachers (The mad drunk and the "good girl").

What I really like about the show is that it takes the most mundane of activites and displays them in an absolutely hilarious fashion! And the characters! Most are fairly stereo-typical roles, but twisted in a way that I just have to burst into a histarical fit of laughter when I watch the show :laugh: :bellylol:

Azumanga is truly one of te funniest anime, no, one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Period. :D

It's been a while since I've seen this show...

But I remember forcing my girlfriend to watch it at Anime North because I loved it so much. She, like everyone else in the room, could not find room to breath between our laughs.

After showing my sister the first episode (or one of the first episodes... I seem to have noticed different versions) they couldn't stop replaying the commercial breaks where, I think, Chiyo-chan is mixing something in a bow singing her song...

"Tsukurimashou Tsukurimashou Sate Sate Nani Ga dekiru ka na..."

-ArV

Azumanga Daioh!!! Wow I love that manga...and show(that I haven't seen).

I just finished book 3 today in english class. I like the creator's somewhat quaint tone...the story kind of sucks you into itself, and leaves you craving more. I like Chiyo-chan and Osaka. Osaka always has the lines that I wish I could get in a manga... and Chiyo-chan... well...some things just cannot be explained... In any case, this is a wonderfully hilarious manga (I want to see the anime...), and has a very whimsical, gleefully cheerful tone to it. Read it when you get suicidal!

0ber0n, who always has the little people to talk to...

• 3 weeks later...
I love Azumanga Daioh! Yukari-sensei is the best!! So are Kagura and Sakaki!They are hilarous!

The manga is great. I love the part with Chiyo-chan's "dad" and Sakaki. Its in either the 1st of 2nd one....I don't remember....heh. ^^o

I cant believe theres only one more manga [#4] then its over....::very sad:: T_T

The anime is just as good [so far] I haven't seen but a few episodes. I dont like Osaka's english voice though...I don't know why. I like everyone elses though.

I have to go now, so i'll post later.

~naru-chan

I like Chiyo because she's only 10 and she got enrolled to high school. (I WISH I COULD DO THAT! :p ) I don't know much of the anime because I've only seen episode 1.:shifty:

[color=hotpink][size=1]chibifriend250, I know for a fact that you've already been warned for your post quality by Dagger, so please read the rules and refrain from future posts of this kind. *QA*[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=hawke3000]Anyone here like this anime. I absolutely adore it. It's about 7 friends doing things that friends do. There really isn't any real plot, just the wonderful cast of characters doing everyday things. If you havn't seen it I really recommend it.

Anyways, on to the point of this topic.

For anyone who has seen and liked this anime, you will know that it has a wonderful cast of characters. I just wanted to know, who is your favourite and why?I like Sakaki and Chiyo. I like Sakaki because I think it's really funny how she is this really cool kid that has a secret obsession with cats and I like Chiyo because she is just so [I]CUTE[/I][/QUOTE]
AzuManga Daioh is AWESOME!! i have all three mangas, eagerly anticipating the fourth, and saving up to buy the anime series. I must have read each manga at least 6 times by now, and i have only had them about a month ^_^ Yeah, Sakaki is definitely my favorite character. Not only because she is humourous in the fact that she always is bitten by cats, but she wont tell anyone her obsessions. AND last but not least, shes quiet, and I like that in girls ^_^

I am glad the manga only had 4 volumes. I bought it all in Japanese around the time the 3rd volume came out and the anime was showing in Japan. For one thing, the 3 years of high school were covered and the manga had noplace left to go. For another, the tankubon were a bit pricey - $40 was plenty to spend for me. Most importantly Azuma had something else up his sleeve. The amazing Yotsubato! is the new project, scans for which are available on the web.

Rewatching Azumanga Daioh, I remember that this was a must-see for me back when it was being fansubbed. Its lovable and/or unforgettable characters have quickly become icons among anime fans. Its distinctive visual style and expressive score will set this series apart from many others for a long time to come.

The writing is very acute; although Azumanga Daioh is regarded primarily as a comedy, the series is packed with touching scenes. Many regard the series as plotless, but I consider the story arc regarding Sakaki and her quest for a cat of her own as being quite skillfully developed. Its slice-of-life approach will outlast many more heavily contrived titles.

[quote name='hawke3000']Anyone here like this anime... I just wanted to know, who is your favourite and why?[/quote]

I found Azumanga Daioh to be quite amusing. I cracked up when that cat first bit Sakaki in the first ep. But, my favorite character has to be Tomo; that girl is just stupid crazy!

Guest gendou ikari
I bought the first DVD of this series, because I heard some remarkably good things about it,and trust me, I was not sorry.In Azumanga daioh the first thing that struck me was the lack of plot, but don't get me wrong, in Azumanga Daioh this is aggod thing. In Azumanga Daioh, the characters don't follow any real path, they simply live their life's.

The story is simple and orthodox, a crew of highschool girl's, living out their live's.
Wow, that actually didn't sound orthodox...Oh well! In this perticuarly, unusual series (you see as we stray away from the plot it becomes unusual), the main focuses are as followed , character development, and humor, both of these are portraided exelently.

The characters are interesting and easy to like, Chiyo Mihama, who is a child prodigy, and is refered to by some of her class mates as "little miss perfect". Her family is extremely rich and she got into highschool at the age of ten, however, she is horrible when it comes to athletical activity.

Tomo Takino ,who is personaly my favorite character, is always trying to compete with everyone, at every thing, in one perticular scene the teacher asks" Chiyo-Chan do you know the answer to my question?" and Chiyo answers, no,then Tomo steps in and raises her hand, the teacher asks the same thing and Tomo replies, "I don't know eathier.There Chiyo!Now we are tied!" She's wild, crazy and full of spunk!

Koyomi Mizuhara, is the most normal of the bunch, she's sorta just,"there",so there isn't really much I can say about her, exept that she has known Tomo for a long time and is often caught hanging around her.

Ayumu Kasuga, is a girl from osaka, thus nicknamed osaka,(thank's goes to Tomo).
She's actually hardly ever called by her real name.She talks in a very southern accent and is very polite.

Sakaki gives off the impression of being a loner and quite, but in episode one, Tomo forces her to race, and to my amazement Sakaki won! Sakaki is almost unbeatable when it comes to sports.

Kagura is a person with athletic abilities on par with Sakaki, but is rarely ever caught, doing something strange.

Thats it! Please tell me your opinions about the show, who your favorite character , in Azumanga Daioh is, and where I can get more episodes!Thank you for your time, and Dzey Jenn! :D

• 5 months later...
Anybody heard of it? It's not your average anime! It's random, adorable, and teaches you alot. (I'm not sure about that one)

I favor Kaorin over the rest. She's too adorable. ^_^

[color=#503f86][b][size=1]Welcome to OtakuBoards, ChibiMuneMune ^_^ I merged your thread with the existing Azumanga Daioh one- please be sure to search the forum or check the Official Threads Directory sticky at the top of the forum display before starting a new topic, heh. -Solo[/size][/b][/color]

[color=DarkOrchid]Ah, Azumanga Daioh... the only anime I own that I didn't record offa the TV. I first say it in a NewTypeUSA, on the preview DVD and I absolutly HAD to buy it! I find that Mr. Kimura is my favorite. They way he is, I mean, its just so funny.
[stumped for words]
And Tomo's obsession with everyones boobs. I just fall over every time so goes off on a tangent about Sakaki's or Kagura's breasts. Chiyo-chan, so cute... must have doll... But I love someone even more than Mr. Kimura... Sakaki! Its like she's almost the opposit of the people she hangs out with. And HER obsession with all things cute, while she seems so distant and cold, just makes me love her so much.
[/color]

For me as well, Azumanga Daioh is one of the few series' that i actually own (well the first 5 dvds anyway). its the one series where you can pop in any episode at anytime for a good quick laugh without feeling that you need to watch the previous episodes to get the whole picture.

I would have to say that my favorite character is Ayumu Kasuga (Osaka), her attitude and reaction for everything always makes me laugh out loud. I love the part from the 2nd year sports festival when she does the obstacle course, the part where she keeps dunking her face in the flour and laughs was hilarious.

• 6 months later...
[color=darkviolet]I was about to start a thread about this anime/manga buit I figured I'd try to remember a few things about this board and check first.

My favorite part about this show is the opening. It's so crazy and the song is so catchy. The whole show is crazy and there's no actual plot so if you miss one show you don't wonder if you're missing anything like some of the other anime.

I think my favorite character is the girl's language teacher. She's really silly...I just can't remember her name.

I've only seen 3 episodes of this anime, but I plan on begging for the whole series soon. I think so far is my favorite episode with the teachers with them hanging out and then the language teacher gets drunk. I'm sorry I really can't remember the rest of it right now.[/color]

• 6 months later...
Guest chobitslover90
does anyone but me think azumanga dioh was to short
i think it should be as long as ranma 1/2 or at least as long as his and her circumstances

• 4 months later...
Guest MeZzyMart
I think my favourite character has to be Ayumu Kasuga otherwise known as "Osaka"
She's not quite together with it and she's really really slow! She cracks me up so much! I think Osaka brightens my day. :catgirl:

[size=1]I started watching this series yesterday at my cousin's house.
I got up to the middle of volume three.
And I found it absolutely hilarious.
I loved how there was no actual plot.
And the cat... Wow that evil cat!
I enjoy the fact that there was no plot because each episode has it's own mini-episode, thusly making the show fun to watch. I like how someone can skip from episode to episode without any fuss on what happened last.
Thusly the reason why there's no need for annoying flashbacks.

The perverted male teacher... the one who teaches for the sake of seeing high school girls... freaks me out.

I laughed so much during the cultural festival episode when they were posing with the bunny suit and [b]he[/b] was in it!

That's all I have to say.[/size]

[QUOTE=chobitslover90]does anyone but me think azumanga dioh was to short
i think it should be as long as ranma 1/2 or at least as long as his and her circumstances[/QUOTE]

i dont think so..ranma 1/2(anime) dont have a nice ending like azumanga daioh..
and i hate if the story doesnt move or take any effect to the story line....i mean when they solve the problems the thing just going back to normal..as example ranma keeps hate akane and still fighting with her father after they solve their prob.

[QUOTE=chobitslover90]does anyone but me think azumanga dioh was to short
i think it should be as long as ranma 1/2 or at least as long as his and her circumstances[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Considering how Ranma 1/2 has 30+ volumes for the manga and I think four different boxsets for the anime series, I don't think it needs to be that long. It would only overexaggerate the story, thusly making it not as fun and free spirited. I just don't think this story would be able to fit a long series base.[/size]

• 5 months later...
This is without a doubt my most favorite anime. My favorite character would have to be Chiyo, but everyone says that I'm have the same personality as Osaka. My sister actually found the anime online and showed it to me and we have both loved it ever since. My favorite one would be the college entrance exams because some of the girls passed and the ones who failed were the last ones you would have expected.

I haven't got all of the anime DVDs but I do have all of the books.

Personally, I do wish it would have been a little bit longer. Four books just doesn't cut the mustard. If they had it for too long, then the main idea would change.

This is one of the few anime shows that both me and my boyfriend like (but he still hates the cuteness parts of it). It's pure comedic genious! Even though the plot is strange it's nice to have an anime that's 100% comedy. Even though i've watched it several times there are still some parts that have me cracking up laughing every time. And there are times when you already know that someone is going to say something or be hit on the head or whatever but it's dragged out brilliently and you're on the edge of your seat waiting for it to happen. Excellence!!

• 2 years later...