OtakuBoards

Unnamed Design

Kinetic

I haven't even though of a name for this one because I love it so much and I'm excited about what kind of critique it might receive, good or bad. I've been trying to get into modern design lately, viewing alot of other people's art and studying it. A popular trend is the light yellowish/brownish background with red on top, and I was trying that. That's the basis for this piece, but I was working on a small corner effect (because it's an enormous piece) and I couldn't stop because I loved the results.

It started out with red, empty squares overlapping each other and I was deleting vertical and horizontal portions. It looked good, but it was missing something. Then I created a diagonal selection and had a hay-day because the result looked great.

I took the thing I created out of the large composition and put it in a new window. I then duplicated it, scaled it down, and messed with the colors. I see alot of pink and black, and many people say they go well together, so I thought I'd try it. I also added the green in the so it's not completely monochromatic, because everything would have gotten lost within the image and you wouldn't be able to make out many details.

I'm not sure what size it will be on everyone else's screens because I'm working in 1600x1200, but I hope it's not too big.

Oh yeah, I also inverted it, just to see what it would look like and I think it's pretty neat. Please state which one you like better if you comment :)

[size=1][color=darkred]I'm not sure what to say about them, so I'll start off with stating which one I like better and take it from there.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#8b0000]The second one appealed to me more, because it didn't feel [as] boxed in as the first one (for some reason the black background made me feel claustrophobic, heh). [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000]The colors are working great together, I think. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000]It's a nice touch that you've used rectangular shapes for everything but the symbol in the "center". Had you used several shapes, it would've messed things up.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000]It reminds me of doors, or windows stacked next to/in front of each other. So if I may go philosophical for a second, it gives off a feeling of multiple possibilities. ("One door may close, but another one opens"... why am I getting these expressions/proverbs in my head when I look at your stuff ? ~_^ )[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000]I think it's a bit too modern for my taste, your previous creations worked better for me ^_^; [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=#8b0000]But it's always a good thing to try out new things, so I applaud you for spreading your wings. Maybe one day I'll open up my eyes more to this field of art ; )[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=darkred]Personally, I like the black one better, because the colours seem to work better together I feel. As for the actual designs...I like them I suppose. They're [i]alright[/i]. But they just don't have any... X Factor to them I feel. They're pretty, and a lot of work has obviously gone into them. I'm just not feeling much, and I am not particularly awed.

Basically, I'd have to say that they're "Nice".

I must compliment you on that symbol though. That [i]is[/i] very cool.

-Josh[/size][/color]

Thanks for both of the comments :)

I was really hoping that Mimmi would post her evaluations of this piece, as she did the last one. I, too, was getting the same sort of vibe from this, but I wanted to see what everyone said. I sort of feel as though I'm looking through a window to a different world, but the other world has yet another mirror projecting my own world (if that makes any sense), the abstract symbol in the center (a part of my world), showing the disruption in life that brings us to the point of tears. I didn't really evaluate it until now, but that's what it looks like to me.

To Baron: I also got the same feeling, but for a reason. I was merely posting the design to see how people liked it, and if it was pleasurable, I was going to show you the large (1000x1200 I think) composition I made with it. I'm rather proud of that as well, even though it's a bit odd. The symbol was extremely easy though ^_^; I made a diamond and deleted sections, then I duplicated the diamond, rotated it, and made a sort of star shaped thing. Then I made the trendy tech circles and put one in the center, lol. Mess with the perspective and that's what you get.

Anyway, now I'm going to post the composition, which I'm fairly proud of. The only vice I have with it are the fan/wing type things. They just looks a little odd to me.

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/view/5978016/"]http://www.deviantart.com/view/5978016/[/url]

I'm probably going to add some dark grey/black brushing to break up that negative space. It won't be too drastic though.

[b]E D I T:[/b] I added alot to it. I even added the inverse in the same image. It may take a while to load because it's so huge.

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/view/5999287/"]http://www.deviantart.com/view/5999287/[/url]

I think that the black bg looked better because it made the dotted lines more noticable, instead of looking scattered.

I think I'd give it a ... 7.5 / 10
I'm not sure what it's missing, but it looks sorta plain. All of the rows and columns... Add something in there that stands out more than the circular image in the center of it.

I got the feeling of falling... maybe into a hole when I looked at the black one. The white one, well... I sorta felt out of place and confused.

Thats my 3.53 cents!

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]My initial thought when looking at the most recent image was "Disco !" And if you look at it like that, it's full of life, fun stuff. Moving to some beat, rhythm.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]But I also felt that it could be seen as someone on the run, hunted, avoiding those spotlights from the helicopter O.o;;
If you take this approach, you feel the tension and the anxiety that the image exude. As if someone is coming after you and you want to hide from it.[/color][/size][/font]
[color=darkred][/color][font=Verdana][size=1] [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]I love how it crosses some points, but goes behind others. Though, the green "fan-thing" at the upper left corner might be better [i]behind[/i] the window ?[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]In short: It feels like life, hurtling itself through you/past you. Whether or not you feel that is a good thing (Disco!) or a bad thing (Run!), is up to whoever views it, I guess ^_^[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000]This one I liked most of the experimental modern pieces *nods*[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Mimmi][font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]My initial thought when looking at the most recent image was "Disco !" And if you look at it like that, it's full of life, fun stuff. Moving to some beat, rhythm.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]But I also felt that it could be seen as someone on the run, hunted, avoiding those spotlights from the helicopter O.o;;
If you take this approach, you feel the tension and the anxiety that the image exude. As if someone is coming after you and you want to hide from it.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]I love how it crosses some points, but goes behind others. Though, the green "fan-thing" at the upper left corner might be better [i]behind[/i] the window ?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=darkred]In short: It feels like life, hurtling itself through you/past you. Whether or not you feel that is a good thing (Disco!) or a bad thing (Run!), is up to whoever views it, I guess ^_^[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1][color=#8b0000]This one I liked most of the experimental modern pieces *nods*[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
That's sort of what I was thinking also. A sort of late-night club you're at. It sort of felt as though the club that you were at is uncomfortable to you, thanks to the black and such. I enjoy the inverse more though, because the light colors just sort of give you the feeling of happiness. It's as though you're laying in the grass and staring at the sun and clouds in the world of tomorrow, basking in the light. It's comfortable and I enjoy it. Right now I'm working on a piece very similar, but only including the squares and it's going to be [i]humongous[/i]. I started on it earlier and my arm started to hurt because I can already tell that a ton of work is going to be put into it. I'm really unsure where to start though, lol.

Thanks for the comments :)