OtakuBoards

Duel Masters

dposse

Guest Rainier
[QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86]I wasn't just referring to you, Argolis. Besides, if you feel you've had a personal attack made against you, the best thing to do is simply to tell a Moderator. Creating a personal attack back is as much against the rules as the first. I thought you'd know this by now.

Getting back to the topic at hand: having seen some Duel Masters Starter Decks for sale, I must admit that the monster designs I saw on the packs are quite nice, and a fair amount better than some of the early Yu-Gi-Oh card designs. Some cards in Legend of Blue Eyes, Metal Raiders and Magic Ruler really weren't that impressive to look at. The latest sets are much better.

Pictures aren't enough for me to go out and buy DM; After having sent so long playing Yu-Gi-Oh I don't think I really want to start collecting another CCG. I just can't be bothered.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well I dunno what happened to my ArgolisDragon account, but why isn't the same action being taken against Deathbug. He's going around acting like a hotshot and yet while someone is screwing around with my account, Deathbug is just ignored. Figures this place has a staff that relies on favoritism to make their decisions.

Anyway, I didn't flame him, I posted my opinion.

---------
To be on topic, all I gotta say is that Yuugiou better shape up soon in terms of its metagame, or it'll be run over by Duel Masters.

[QUOTE=Rainier]Well I dunno what happened to my ArgolisDragon account, but why isn't the same action being taken against Deathbug. He's going around acting like a hotshot and yet while someone is screwing around with my account, Deathbug is just ignored. Figures this place has a staff that relies on favoritism to make their decisions.

Anyway, I didn't flame him, I posted my opinion.

---------
To be on topic, all I gotta say is that Yuugiou better shape up soon in terms of its metagame, or it'll be run over by Duel Masters.[/QUOTE]

If you have a problem with Solo's decisions, please express your dissatisfaction via PM (rather than dragging the discussion further off-topic). It seems to me that Solo's original post was aimed at everyone--and as he verified this shortly afterwards, you shouldn't have felt singled out or threatened. Try not to take these kinds of general comments so personally; Solo did [i]not[/i] ignore Deathbug's behavior. In fact, he made it quite clear that his warning had not been directed specifically at you... I don't see how else one could possibly interpret his remarks.

Neither Solo nor any of the other moderators is capable of altering a member's account status, so he obviously did not "screw around" with your previous username.

Again, I'd like you to save off-topic disagreements for our handy-dandy private messaging system. Thank you very much, and have a nice day. ^_^

~Dagger~

[quote]Well I dunno what happened to my ArgolisDragon account, but why isn't the same action being taken against Deathbug. He's going around acting like a hotshot and yet while someone is screwing around with my account, Deathbug is just ignored. Figures this place has a staff that relies on favoritism to make their decisions.

Anyway, I didn't flame him, I posted my opinion.[/quote]

Shut up. Thank you.

Anyway... I just recently saw an episode of Duel Masters (something I will never do again)... and While it is not a "cheap imitation of Yu-Gi-Oh" it is a horrible anime series. From what i've read the game was originally played just like Magic the Gathering and then was switched over to this "Duel Masters" format therefore how can it be a copy of of Yu-Gi-Oh -_o... Both series revolve around card games, have horrible animation, voice-acting on par with a 1st grade play, etc., etc. now that doesn't make one series a copy off of the other :P. Both games are still played differently and both games require a different mind set and different strategies to play properly. Yet despite a similarity between the name "Duel Monsters" and "Duel masters" I really can't see what other relevant similarities you all are drawing :P. So what the guys have spikey hair... So does just about every other anime character out there -_o. Oh yes I should mention though part of the reason why I dislike Duel Masters is because from the one episode I saw I was unable to really figure out how the game worked -___- because of that I honestly don't see this series lasting that long in the U.S. while the card game will probably become another trend just like Yu-Gi-Oh.

[QUOTE=Hittokiri Zero]Shut up. Thank you.

Anyway... I just recently saw an episode of Duel Masters (something I will never do again)... and While it is not a "cheap imitation of Yu-Gi-Oh" it is a horrible anime series. From what i've read the game was originally played just like Magic the Gathering and then was switched over to this "Duel Masters" format therefore how can it be a copy of of Yu-Gi-Oh -_o... Both series revolve around card games, have horrible animation, voice-acting on par with a 1st grade play, etc., etc. now that doesn't make one series a copy off of the other :P. Both games are still played differently and both games require a different mind set and different strategies to play properly. Yet despite a similarity between the name "Duel Monsters" and "Duel masters" I really can't see what other relevant similarities you all are drawing :P. So what the guys have spikey hair... So does just about every other anime character out there -_o. Oh yes I should mention though part of the reason why I dislike Duel Masters is because from the one episode I saw I was unable to really figure out how the game worked -___- because of that I honestly don't see this series lasting that long in the U.S. while the card game will probably become another trend just like Yu-Gi-Oh.[/QUOTE]
Shove it. Thank you.

Almost all anime dubbed in the U.S. tends to get slaughtered and turned to crap. Look at Neon Genesis Evangelion..--;;

I like the Yuugiou CCG, but Duel Masters is somewhat more balanced and the thought of a refreshing new metagame is kind of interesting. Yuugiou's metagame right now is revolved around pretty much the two playable tournament decks, Chaos and control whereas Duel Masters can have a variety of different comeptitive decks by just running a mono-red or mono-blue deck or even combining two colors. The person who made this topic is directing Duel masters as an imitation of Yuugiou, when it is closely like MTG more than anything.

[COLOR=#503F86]Hittokiri, Volshard, please don't start throwing personal comments about. This is the last thing we need.[/COLOR]
[quote name='Volshard Dragon']The person who made this topic is directing Duel masters as an imitation of Yuugiou, when it is closely like MTG more than anything.[/quote][color=#503f86]The thread was originally started to compare the two [i]animes[/i], rather than the CCGs. It just developed into that, seeing as the two are so heavily involved with one another.

There's no doubt that Duel Masters is more or less a revision of Magic: The Gathering. Both these games and Yu-Gi-Oh have different styles of playing and different rules. Trying to compare them in terms of playability doesn't work because they just aren't the same, and as such attract different playing styles. I personally prefer Yu-Gi-Oh, but I never said that M:TG or Duel Masters were bad games just because I didn't play them. I'm just not interested in them.[/color]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][color=#503f86]The thread was originally started to compare the two [i]animes[/i'], rather than the CCGs. It just developed into that, seeing as the two are so heavily involved with one another.[/COLOR][/quote]
Thank you! Finally, someone realizes that I made this thread to compare and contast the two animes. I never really wanted this thread to go the way it did, but I suppose that it's ok the way it is. I agree with everyone that the two card games, Yu-gi-oh and Duel Masters, are very different and that Duel Masters is almost like The Magic card game. But, the two animes are very simular. That is the point that I wanted to make when I made this thread.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Fixed quote tags -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

• 3 months later...
[COLOR=royalblue][FONT=century gothic][SIZE=1] Duel masters was OK at the start of the series...But now its just one LOOONG joke thats getting pretty old. At first its whole tounge in cheek making fun of the anime genre was amusing but its just relentless and doesnt let up this act for a second. It would be nice if the series could be alittle serious atleast for a second.

For this reason I cant get too into the series because its all just so ridicolous...Everyone makes dumb comments about everything going on the world, I guess there trying to be witty but it just comes off as obnoxious.

The series just lacks the emotional punch of Yu-Gi-Oh's duels. You could really care less who wins or loses. :rolleyes:

So bottom line to me...Interesting idea of satiring Yu-Gi-Oh and anime in general but poor execution. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

I think arkadyz has hit the nail right on the head, I like the idea of satire, honestly, I think a well done satire of anime would be really funny, there are some stereotypes that would be funny to mock. This anime however, doesnt do that, it is disappointing. It just feels over the top sometimes, I feel like it goes out of the way to make itself a satire.

Duel Masters is one big joke. Literally. I mean they almost always make comments that they are in a show. The dork with glasses always gets knowcked up in the sky with a weak punch. Its just dumb. Plain dumb. I have watched a few episodes and each one gets on my nervs. It sounds like it was written by a 5th grader. A bunch of 5th graders. The evil genius guy is so stupid. And in one episode the " Evil" guys were complaining throughout half the show that they haven't been paying for cable and its not working. The jokes are ridiculously stale also. It has its moments. But those are few. Oh well. Plus the song sucks so bad.

• 2 weeks later...
I think people should stop trying to figure out whether this show is a Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off or not. It is a Yu-Gi-Oh [I]satire[/I] that pokes fun of the gaming anime genre. I personally don't give crap about the plot. It's the random jokes that make it worthwhile. Who couldn't laugh at such great lines as:

"How could you beat me with a card that looks like Ozzy Osborne?"

"I'm going slo-mo!"

"That comercial break felt like it lasted a week!"

"I love flashbacks as much as the next guy, but we've seen this one twice!"

"What happens to you every time you get kicked off screen anyway?"
*pause*
"You don't wanna know."

"This is not a game, Shobu!"
"Wait! This isn't?"
"What's gone to that guy's head?"

"Hey! How's it doing in Graceland?"

"And then Hakuoh's heart grew three sizes that day!"

And the Karaoke goblins rock too!

• 4 months later...
Guest Crimson Spider
I'm suprised no one has made a topic about this show yet. Most likely someone has and I haven't noticed it yet.

Well, I watched the show, got the videogame, and now I'm hooked. I watch every eppisode, collect the cards (though I have a very small amount), and play the videogames. I simply love it!

The show: this is something I've always thought about doing but never have. Not dissimilar to Kung Pow, when Plastic Cow brought it to the U.S. they edited the show to the max. This show that was once serious is now holding a kung-pow style humor, and it does it well.

The card game: WotC probably spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a balanced TCG, and this is the one of the closest they've got to that idea IMO. The game is fast-paced, fun, and isn't that expensive. Most likely due to it's low popularity in the states. The game is also very easy to learn despite it's complex stratagies.

The videogames: I've only played one and heard about the other two. Well, they're interesting. First one has an RPG element to it, and the others introduce many new things that are fun as heck, like the speed-mode.

Am I alone or are there others who got hooked after they saw the first episode on TV.

I myself hate this show it was alright at first, but then it started to seem to be like a watered down version of Yugioh with a twist of the Digimon T.V. show with the friends are the best thing policy and then he has all these challengers who wanna beat him cause he is the champion which reminds me of another t.v. show Beyblade remember when Tyson won the championship everyone wanted to beat him to show they were the best.

So its like watching Yugioh, Digimon, and Beyblade together to make one terrible show.