OtakuBoards

Yusuke Drawing... Good?

xmystic_silverx

^_^ D'aww, big cutesy eyes - those are done very convincingly for the style. Well, it's extremely precise and there's a real confidence in the line-work. I think the anime-style shading is great on the skin and teeth - still, the black hair would look better with one flat shade, maybe if you edited it on the computer. Very successful for your first work - how have you progressed from this, I wonder?

Why thank you! Yes, Ive tried to edit it on the computer many times, Im afraid Im not very good at that *sigh* Yes, Ive drawn better pictures than this one, I've drawn Yukina ((but gave it to my friend)) and some others, like Jin, Kurama, Kikyo, some chibis... Im afraid to scan them because my scanner makes things look crappy.

Very nice! It's got that determined look Yusuke always has. One thing though... I'm oretty sure Yusuke has green eyes! Not that it matters, but I remember seeing the cover of the Yu-Yu-Hakusho manga, and he had greenish-blue eyes... oh well!

[color=hotpink][size=1]I don't like it.

I really wish people would be more original when they draw pictures. All you did was look at that picture somewhere and then sketch it out. It's not original, it's just a copy. You might as well just have traced it. Next time and in the future, I would suggest that you look at the picture for inspiration, but try to come up with your own poses and create new ideas instead of just copying what has already been done.

That's what makes good fanart.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]I don't like it.

I really wish people would be more original when they draw pictures. All you did was look at that picture somewhere and then sketch it out. It's not original, it's just a copy. You might as well just have traced it. Next time and in the future, I would suggest that you look at the picture for inspiration, but try to come up with your own poses and create new ideas instead of just copying what has already been done.

That's what makes good fanart.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=red]hmm... I guess your right, Im not that good.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]I don't like it.

That's what makes good fanart.[/size][/color][/QUOTE][color=#30415d]Though he uses other pictures to draw from, does that really make him a bad artist? heh His ability to pick off the details you see in the drawing shows that he definitely has an artistic eye. You have to start somewhere. ~_^ The more you copy from different pictures, the better you'll get at recognizing the placing of different things, and how they work, so as to create an original piece that's more exact. Great artists do this for a living; they'll go out and draw something exactly as they see it. Somebody may not have drawn the exact same thing before them, but they are still drawing something as they see it, rather than out of their own head.

And no, tracing is completely different from copying. Tracing takes absolutely no skill whatsoever, while copying another picture takes patience and an eye for detail, among other things.[/color]

I wouldn't really get discouraged.

To be honest, I think it's a well done drawing. Very sharp and clean and the coloring was well done, too. I really think drawings like this are sort of like the "first step" when it comes to art. You take stuff that others have done and you draw it, in order to get a feel for the mechanics of drawing, coloring, etc. When you feel you're ready, you start drawing with your own style. That's the way I see it, anyway.

But what do I know? I can't draw for crap lol.

[color=firebrick] You can take Queen Asuka's comment one way or the other. Most anime artists start out by copying offical artwork and focusing on fanart, because everyone [i]should[/i] know that the jump from fanart to original art is hard. It's been known that tracing some pictures helps tremendously as well, although I've never tried that myself. Original art is hard to make good and pleasing to the eye if someone has been doing fanart for a long time, especially if fan artists copy exact poses etc.

To be honest, all of the amateur [sp?] cartoon artists I like focus heavily on their own characters and such, because fanart is so much easier than originals. But I don't expect beginners to develop their own style and characters in the first months at least. Like I said, it's hard.[/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Yeah Asuka is wrong and Spike is right here. There's nothing inherenty wrong about copying a picture (unless you try to pass it off as an original idea), and there's no question about its benefits for an improving artist. When you go to the Louvre (or other art museums, such as the Royal Gallery in London) you will see art students sitting in front of the works of the classical masters and trying to... guess what... copy them! As closely as possible. By copying the works of artists that inspire us we can learn their techniques and possibly learn to avoid the mistakes they had made themselves in the past. Future composers study the works of other composers before they go on to make their own work in the professional world. Artists study the works of other artists, and copying is a very effective method of doing so.

Think about this especially: there are bad copies (i.e. poorly done) and there are good copies. And from those you can tell who is a more experienced artist (at least in a particular style). So even there you can see that quality reflects skill. I have serious trouble copying the hair in Fujishima Kosukes's Oh My Goddess! manga. But when I am able to do so without trouble, that will be a skill I'll have picked up. And it will have helped me learn to both control the flow of my lines and get a better sense of object placement.

As for criticism of your work, mystic silver, I'd be happy to provide some. The thing that strikes me most is the extreme contrast between the character's hair and the rest of him. It makes the picture look painfully flat (much more so than your typical animation cell). A way to fix that would be to use slightly brighter colors in general, and have more of a shade jump when adding shadows.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Heh, wow, I'm so wrong. :rolleyes:

I never said that it was a bad drawing, I just said that it lacked originality. Originality is what people are really looking for and what stands out. Why would you want to copy something that has already been done? Okay, so you people say that when you look at something and draw it, you are copying it. It is completely different to draw a landscape as you see it instead of a piece of art that's already been done. You obviously know that you have skill if you can COPY well, so why not try out something on your own? That's all I'm saying. I wasn't trying to be negative or anything, just giving a bit of constructive criticism.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]Heh, wow, I'm so wrong. :rolleyes:

I never said that it was a bad drawing, I just said that it lacked originality. Originality is what people are really looking for and what stands out. Why would you want to copy something that has already been done? Okay, so you people say that when you look at something and draw it, you are copying it. It is completely different to draw a landscape as you see it instead of a piece of art that's already been done. You obviously know that you have skill if you can COPY well, so why not try out something on your own? That's all I'm saying. I wasn't trying to be negative or anything, just giving a bit of constructive criticism.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=red]hmm I have tried drawing original things on my own and they look horrible! I dont know why? I know all their features and stuff but when I try to make my own original... uh, well its like Ive forgotten it all.[/size][/color]

[color=firebrick] I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but most beginning artists that begin to try our original drawings have a hard time of doing it. *shrugs* Most anime artists only do fanart, but in truth the people who start creating original characters/etc. are usually the ones that have more experience and such. There's no problem with copying for now. ^_^[/color]