OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy 9 sequel

Box Hoy

Wht do you think is the chance of a sequel to Final Fantasy 9.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Wht do you think is the chance of a sequel to Final Fantasy 9.

• Very good
    • Okay
    • Slime
    • Not happening.

After just finishing the game I have started wondering if Square Enix is going to create a sequel Final Fantasy 9.
I was just wondering how possible it would be if they did create a sequel. This would be really cool but I don't think they left themselves a good place to start up again.What do you think it would look like? Does anyone have any good idea's for it? And does anyone know of any rumors or actual facts?

I think Final Fantasy Nine was one of the best ones they've made. Check out my poll also.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]Trust me, there is no plans (or incentive really) for a Final Fantasy 9 sequel. It was a great game sure, and even went Platinum (I think) but not only is the ending unfit for a sequel, but during production Square envisioned it as the last of its kind, last of the expansive mythical fantasy worlds low on tech and big on adventure. The last one with multpile races where magic ruled and wasn't just a tool. That sounded akward. Anyway, because of this it is HIGHLY unlikely that a sequel will ever be made.

~CrH~[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]Not to mention FFIX wasn't as popular, or as highly praised as FFVII, VIII or X. We're barely getting an FFVII sequel in a "noninteractive feature" format, so a true sequel of a lesser popular game is extremely unlikely, let alone in an interactive way.[/color][/font]

Guest Kitsune_16
Sorry,I think it would be horrible if they made a sequel to FF9!The characters looked childish,and what's up with Vivi's grandpa wanting to eat him!Yah,it's story line wasn't too bad,but I just didn't care for the characters that much.

[quote name='Kitsune_16']Sorry,I think it would be horrible if they made a sequel to FF9!The characters looked childish,and what's up with Vivi's grandpa wanting to eat him!Yah,it's story line wasn't too bad,but I just didn't care for the characters that much.[/quote]
i have too agree with Kitsune. The story was awsome but the characters looked like they were ten years old. And even if they did make a sequel i don't think it would be any good cause they didn't leave off in a place that they could make a sequel.

I love the Final Fantasy series, and i have to agree with the last two threads, I didn't like this one at all, the characters wern't believable enough for me, sure the story is great, and like a final fantasy, the graphics we're brilliant, but i just couldn't into the characters, and it bored me, and really, I wouldn't be rusing out to get a IX sequel like I did a X sequel, sorry to say this, but i did a ranking score and I gave it a 5 out of 10, so yeah, I'd keep to other Final Fantasies.

Excuse me Fate, but how can you say you hate Puck, since he is only a very minor character appearing only in two scenes? ;) What's there to hate [I]or[/I] like in him?

As fir the subject, my opinion is that FFIX, although I really liked the game, doesn't need a sequel. I can't really imagine anything that was left unclear in the game (unlike FFVII), and the world and characters weren't [I]that [/I] interesting. Quite shallow, actually.

Basically there's nearly nothing in the game that is worth transferring into a sequel. Let's just stick with waiting for FFXII. ;)

i partly agree and disagree with the above poater, i dont think it was shallow but that wrapped it up nicleey in the end, no questions left unanswered (like the above poster said) unlike FF7. I dont think 9 was a bad game, if anything its one of my favs, but to think FF9 will have a sequel is a bit farfetched, the game is too old for a sequel, with all the rumours about a ff7 sequel (not the movie) a square spokes person had to clear it up by saying that it isnt ruled out but unlikely it'll ever happen cos of the older game engines used and the out of date graphics, hence why FFX got a sequel

[color=indigo]Remember, people, if you're going to say you hate FFIX, you should give some solid reasons to back up your argument. Simply saying it's "horrid" doesn't say much, as is considered spam.

But anyway, I'm surprised people are saying they like the story but dislike the characters. Personally, it's more the other way around for me. I liked watching the different characters' personalities bounce off one another, like with the whole Zidane/Garnet/Eiko thing. Or just the weirdness that was Quina. Really, I couldn't care less about the character models. I mean, if you find FFIX's characters unbelievable because of how they look, how are FFVII's blocky characters any better? Heck, go play the NES/SNES games; there, all you've got are 2D sprites with maybe a few little animations to convey emotion outside of dialogue. FFIV features several of my favorite characters in the whole series, and it's the earliest of the three SNES titles.

As for the story, it was somewhat interesting, but it was also somewhat predictable. And just sort of bland for about the first half of the game. Only after the Lifa Tree did the story seem to pick up and start getting interesting to me, and not until after getting the airship was it enough to really hold my attention. And even then, I ended up taking two very looong breaks before finally bothering to finish the game.

Though yes, I agree, a sequel to FFIX isn't really feasible. The story was wrapped up pretty tight at the end, so unless they just wanted to make another game set in the same world but with a completely different story, they'd be grasping at straws trying to find anything worthwhile to continue on from the first game. The one thing I could [i]maybe[/i] see, would be something with Kuja. But even with him, Garland makes it pretty clear about what's going to happen to him, and then we seem to see the result of that in the ending.[/color]

Personally, like Desbreko, I enjoyed FFIX's characters. I thought they were a well-needed breath of fresh air for the series, especially in relation to the main characters. Granted, Zidane is not exactly my favorite character in IX but he's more likable than Cloud or Squall, to me, at least. I liked the way that the characters interacted, as well. Their interactions led to a lot of funny situations and reminded me a lot of FFVI, which I think had the best cast of characters of any FF game (note that I have not played FFIV).

The story didn't really get interesting until [spoiler]Garland entered the picture[/spoiler]. He was a far more enjoyable villain than Kuja. Plus, he had that awesome theme music. How could you not love that?

Like everyone else, I agree that an FFIX sequel would be damn near useless. What else is there for them to do? Unless you want to carry on with [spoiler]Vivi and Quina's married life (disturbing as it was, that part was hilarious)[/spoiler], then there's not really much left to do. The game's closure was pretty final.

I would like to pick on a piont that Shinmaru has made, I do agree with him, but I also dis-agree with him.

I agree on the fact that the introduction of a new type of character, less human and 'child' characters, was a brilliant innovation and it seemed like a really good idea, I really enjoyed the new dimension that they brought, but that was only for a while, they only created a new and exciting dimension temporarilly, it was only a temporary thing, and to me only lasted until Cleyra. Also the other point Shinmaru made, about Zidane been alot more likable, I do agree, unlike Cloud, or Squall, he was alot more relaxed, and took things as they come, and if they messed up, he would find a solution, this made a change to the more 'logical' approaches by other main characters of the past, and this intrigues me quite a bit, the fact that he was more 'care-free' , and this is prolly the only thing that kept me palying the game.

About the characters now, I was never able to relate to them as much as I did to other characters in the previous Final Fantasies, in the other titles i was able to say things like "I can understand how you feel" and "That must have been rough", but i am unable to do this in this version, maybe it had to do with the fact that all the characters were all 'child' like, and I may have problems relating to them, but i was unable to escape the fact that they were children and I kept thinking 'how can they be bothered by this' and it just got me confused, and it didn't really excite me (Please tell me i'm not the only one who feels like this).

If they were to make the world more believable, and the characyers, then yes, all for a sequel, but as it stands i really don't think I could stomach a sequel if it was like that, unless they made some improvemnets, the only bit that did seem like a real thing was the end, where Princess Garland and Zidane meet up, that did touch me, and also the way he had to leave [spoiler]his brother[/spoiler], Kuja, but apart from that, NO MORE, please.

Sorry to ramble, thank you for reading

[color=indigo]Added a spoiler tag on that crucial little detail there. - Desbreko[/color]

Please try to improve your post quality, JuliasPeach. You've really added nothing to this thread other than the fact that you've been working on your own FFIX sequel. We'd like to keep the topic of this thread to [i]official[/i] sequels, if you don't mind.