OtakuBoards

Ocean Oil Painting

Megumi

Here's an oil painting I did for school a couple of weeks ago. I used a picture, but didn't copy it exactly. I don't like it as much as everyone else seems to. It's only my third finished oil painting, probably my fifth or so attempt.

Wow! You're extremely capable with oil *envies you* I love the white foam cresting the waves in particular - they don't seem detached from the blue like they do in many other attempts to capture waves that I have seen. The depth is also extremely beautiful - how long did you spend on it?

I'm very surprised you don't like it very much. I think it's an extremely accomplished piece of work, and having seen some of your sketches it certainly demonstrates your flexibility. Wonderful work.

[color=gray]It is very good. I don't know why on earth you wouldnt like it a whole bunch o-o;;

But now comes the part where I search for flaws IMO... Hardish... Well the wave seems to turn, from North Sea-ish blue, to Oriental Blue-ish lol.
And the clouds seem to be directed by the sun. They seem to be all pointing to it in a way...
But all those flaws are out done by the rest of the picture really.
Like I said, its very good. I aint, and probably wont be ever, good in painting. Let stand oil paint.

I'm drawing a picture right now, which I thought looks pretty good, but it seems to fall in nothing when I saw this picture *cries*[/color]

I have to agree with everyone, this is great. You managed to capture the small waves greatly with tiny value changes, which looks great, and then as Pyro mentioned, the foam on the water. It's all really amazing. The only things I would change are these:

Make the sun and sky brighter so that it contrasts better and looks more realistic,
And blend the large wave in with the rest of the water.

Great work :)