OtakuBoards

Hating anime....

Guest gendou ikari

Guest gendou ikari
WHy? Why must people hate my god sent hobby? Today at school I was talking to my friend about Azumanga Daioh at lunch time, and one of the students across from me rudely asked "Is that some of that Japanese crap?" I wanted to punch him, it sure as hell is better than american cartoons, thats for sure, and it's definatley better than the crap on the big screen, so why the hate? Why the controversy? I cannot understand it, my only guess is that the only anime they have ever seen is the kiddy ones on CN (still edited like mess). WHy would anyone want to hate this?*holds up evangelion DVD* Oh? you don't like that? Well... How bout this! *starts throwing random manga's at anime hater* please, some one answer my call, tell me your stories as well. Thank you for your precious time, and Dzey Jenn! Dzey Jenn to you all!

Don't get me wrong, I like Anime. I like it a lot. But I don't like EVA. I don't like it a lot.

Although like I said I like anime a lot and I've gotten crap for that. Although I've never been called wapanese (urbandictionary.com if you want to look it up) I've gotten "Oh, is that that Pokeymon crap?" or "It's Dragon Ball Z isn't it," most of the time. I honestly don't know why people do this, but my guess is that the only way these people feel good is by putting others down.

Do I care if people ask me this? Not really. Whenever a person asks if what I'm watching is Pokémon or Japanese crap, I'm enjoy doing what I like no less. I like anime, and I will until I choose not to like it, not what they choose.

For every Pokémon episode or picture of Pikachu they might have considered to be the average Japanese television show, I have Peace Maker Kurogane and Naruto and Paranoia Agent at my finger tips. I'm happy. If they have this sort of tension or discomfort with themselves enough that they have to go around insulting others unjustly, I pity them. For I'm content and they're not. It's simple as that.
Also, I usually think the same way when someone says "Get a room!" when kissing my girlfriend.

-ArV

[quote name='gendou ikari']WHy? Why must people hate my god sent hobby? Today at school I was talking to my friend about Azumanga Daioh at lunch time, and one of the students across from me rudely asked "Is that some of that Japanese crap?" I wanted to punch him, it sure as hell is better than american cartoons, thats for sure, and it's definatley better than the crap on the big screen, so why the hate? Why the controversy? I cannot understand it...[/quote]

Here's a simple answer to why they all hate anime:

Ignorant people fear what they don't understand and thus, they hate what they fear. Got it?

Oh, and have you ever met the type who thinks all anime are hentai? Those people infuriate me!

Well everybody is free to have their own opinions on things, be it anime or anything else.
What sucks is that most people stay with one opinion all the frickin' time, not even considering the exception.
But thats just something we have to learn to tolerate. I mean jeez, its just anime, no need for violence.

Oh and you shouldn't diss American cartoons so bad, there are plenty of great old american cartoons out there.

Looney Toons kick ***! :D

[color=darkviolet]There are plenty of things that other people like that I absolutely can't stand to be around in and then vise versa.

Like MamoruAlph said: People hate what they don't understand. Well, some people also hate what they do understand. Sure that may not apply to your lunchroom catcaller (oh those school days :laugh: ) but it does apply to some people.

The question you shoul dbe asking yourself is: Do you like anime, do your friends atleast understand your interest in anime and manga? If the answer to those two questions is yes, well, then you shouldn't give a flying squirell about what someoen else is saying.

Thank you for listening.[/color]

[font=Georgia][color=blue]Like food, everyone has a different taste in anime. There's variety of anime, and to be a healthy otaku, you should get a good dose of each kind.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Chances are, people who are anime cynics had a bad first impression with anime. That is, they saw a series or a few episodes of many animes that were not up their alley. To compare, giving someone brocolli when they are a bread person at a newly opened restaurant would pretty much scare the person away for good. I mean, you could bring them back to the place, but it'd be quite a feat to do so.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]I'm hungry...[/color][/font]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Well, Arvie, there is a world of difference between kissing your girlfriend and sucking face in the middle of a public area for hours on end. (I can't stand when people do that at the movies. All you hear from behind or in front of you is suction-induced noises:totally ruins all of Aragorn's best lines!!! >:^O)

My lunchbag says, "Protected by SSJ Goku" on it in big letters. A few guys were making fun of it (they're okay dudes, and I've got nothing against them, for the record), but I simply laughed with them.
I don't really care if people shut themselves off from a great "genre" (it's too wide to really be called a "genre"), and instead tend to recomend they check out certain aspects of it.

I mean, hey, two months ago William was mocking my lunchbag, and last Friday he was practically on his knees begging for titles to look into and where to download codecs.

Heh.^^[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=MamoruAlpha]
Oh, and have you ever met the type who thinks all anime are hentai? Those people infuriate me![/QUOTE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]the fun thing to do with those people is go to an anime site while you're near them, and when they ask you what you're doing, tell them you're searching for hentai pics for a collage you're doing. they may act like they're all disgusted when they say that all anime is hentai, but i've caught people actually searching for hentai pics after i tell them that's what i'm doing.

i think a quote from Kurt Vonnegut is apt (paraphrased, of course):

[i]“Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an anime is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.”[/i]

People hate what they don't understand, but at the same time anyone who expresses a loathing for an anime is a loon.[/FONT]

Don't be an Amercan cartoon hata'. Recent ones that are based on anime pretty much suck, but that is also my opinion (Though, I strangely enjoy Teen Titans...but I digress). Anyway, people have the right to voice their opinion, whether you like it or not. It's in our beloved Constitution! But if you really want to make people stop making fun of you to your face, either get really buff and scary, or act all crazy when they make fun of you. Check it:

"HAHAAH,***, YOU LIKE POKYMONS!! LOSER"

"OH YEAH? GIVE ME BACK MY DOLLAR!! THAT'S RIGHT, THAT DOLLAR YOU OWE ME!"

"HAHA, WHAT? YOU ARE A WEIRD-O WITH ANIME TENDANCIES"

"THAT MAY BE TRUE, BUT DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK ABOUT WHY YOU HAVE TO PARTY ALL THE TIME AND DRINK BEER UNTIL YOU VOMIT ALL OVER YOUR SLUT YOU CALL A GIRLFRIEND? ARE YOU AS DEPRESSED AS ME WHEN IT COMES TO YOURSELF? I THINK YOU ARE, AND YOU SHOULD TOO. DRINKING IS NOT THE ANSWER TO DEPRESSION, MY IGNORANT FRIEND. PILLS ARE."

The whole time, you gotta be yelling this throughout the whole cafeteria, so that everyone looks at you and thinks you're a crazy mofo. Meanwhile, the person you are talking to gets really embarrassed and runs away like a little monkey with a daiper on.

I hope this helps.

Guest gendou ikari
I do hate most american cartoons, so what if I do? Do I enjoy them ? No, I do not, does that mean that my opinion will change if someone asks me to stop disliking them?No. I'm sorry that I do not like american cartoons, I was mearley trying to prove a point,I do not like arguing, so please, don't.I'm currently watching Azumanga Daioh, and I think that this an exellent anime, what I was trying to say was that I prefer Anime, over sloppily made american cartoons.So, we will now venture back on topic....

I remember a stupid quote from the same class mate "Anime is stupid, it's all about, "the spirit of the zodiac"or the "Wolf punch". No. I'm sorry man, those are the edited versions of Dragonball and Saint Seiya, I really wanted to say that to him...If only he werent soo arrogant!

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Many people simply don't know what anime encompasses. They only know what's on daytime TV on Cartoon Network. For a time, that was the case with me, and I did think that all anime was crap. So rather than getting angry at people for saying "anime sucks" just explain to them that anime is what most of Japanese TV is, and for every 2 crappy shows there is a decent one, just like here (I just made up a random ratio). If they understand what you're saying but still aren't willing to give it a chance, at least force them to stop bashing it blindly. That's the best advice I can offer. But most importantly, don't "defend" yourself. Just calmly explain why you like whatever anime/manga you do and why you think it's good.

I don't hate anime, but I dislike a LOT of it. Why? simply because they aren't very original or full of a lot of depth. Sure you have your wierd and orignal series like NGE but then you have your simple, fun but stupid shows like Fist of the North star or Kenjitsu Zan or something. Sadly one FAR outweighs the other. It seems many series don't put a lot of effort into it or suffer from predictable stories. But there are some true gems that push to border and make you go 'wow'. Look at Vampire Hunter D and VHD: Bloodlust both follow the amazingly dark novels well and keep the complexity of the character. Or the Wings of Hommenase, Roujin Z, Princess Mononoke etc. These are the things that keep me hooked, looking at these things I see that Japanese Animation is much like live-action filmaking as it is a true artform that can capture the imagination and hearts of people rather than just try to make them laugh or decide which super hot chick the geeky kid chooses or something.

Some people stick with their own opinions because they are afraid of change, or afraid of what they don't know. People just want to cover up their insecurities so that they don't appear weak.

As for those people who label everything anime as hentai, are close minded. You need to keep an open mind for many things to be able to understand them fully.

I love anime and American cartoons. There are some anime titles I don't like, and there are American cartoon titles I don't like.

There are awesome titles and not so awesome titles in each category. Every person is different in stuff that they like.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='densuke']That isn't the case. Anime is just part of any Japanese TV station's schedule. There are live drama, infotainment and other shows. Most Japanese over the age of 18 either don't watch anime or wouldn't be caught dead admitting it to co-workers etc.[/quote]

...You're right, I think I didn't remember something properly. I confused that with the fact that anime accounts for most ticket sales in Japan as far as movie theaters go. That's what I remembered (it's in that "Anime from Akira to Princess Mononoke" book). Anyway, I actually can't get a good estimate on what percentage of TV in Japan is anime. Someone said as low as 6-7%. Is that right? I'm curious to know.

But really? Adult Japanese wouldn't be caught dead watching anime? But plenty of them openly read manga, right, so why is there this difference in attitudes? I'm hoping you can tell me, because forget about finding the answer via google or something.

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]It is as bbad to say that one hates all anime as it is to say that one hates all American cartoons. The reason being, the art forms cover so many genrres and so many possible styles that to dismiss all of them based on a steretype is fallicy.[/color][/font][/size]

To each their own. People will like and dislike what they choose. If someone decides they hate anime that is their opinion. If someone decides they hate American animation this is also their opinion. I think it is a bit hypocritical to say those who's opinion is different than your own is a "hater" when you are steadfast on your opinion of hating something. Wouldn't that make you just as much a "hater" as they are?

If you love anime, keep loving anime. Don't let others tell you what is "good" and what is "crap". Keep your mind open to other ideas and opinions. If you refuse to at least try to understand their view point or how they came to this opinion there is no way you are going to get them to see your side.

Guest gendou ikari
[QUOTE=
[color=red]But that is the topic right there[/color]. It's one thing to take no interest in something, but why go out of your way to bash it and annoy someone else? [b]That is exactly the behavior that you object to in others[/b]. I think you made your point but not in the way you intended.[/QUOTE]

Look. I think that Japanese anime is far superior to american cartoons. There you go.Why are you on the OTAKU boards, if you are willing to constantly defend american cartoons that was only a simple question. Please respect my opinion. I am respecting yours.

[quote name='gendou ikari']Look. I think that Japanese anime is far superior to american cartoons. There you go.Why are you on the OTAKU boards, if you are willing to constantly defend american cartoons that was only a simple question. Please respect my opinion. I am respecting yours.[/quote]

Since when are loving anime and appreciating Western animation considered mutually exclusive? Anime owes its very [i]existence[/i] to the popularity of older Disney movies like the classic film Snow White. And cartoons may have their drawbacks, but they also possess some notable advantages. Most American TV shows focus on smooth animation instead of complicated character designs, which means that they look more dynamic and fluid than certain anime.

Besides, half of the people at OB have barely heard of anime (and though I pulled that figure out of my ***, it's not really an exaggeration). :p

EDIT: Just saw this.

[quote name='gendou ikari']what I was trying to say was that I prefer Anime, over sloppily made american cartoons.[/quote]

I can't stop you from hating American animation. However, the latter part of that statement is totally false. Whether they're on television or in theaters, you almost [i]never[/i] see cartoon characters go off-model. Sadly, such is not the case when it comes to anime. Even RahXephon, a high-budget series that originally aired in 2001, has a couple of episodes during which its characters' faces were strangely drawn. Cheap or long-running anime are usually packed with those kinds of flaws.

~Dagger~

Guest gendou ikari
[quote name='Shiguru']I don't hate anime, but I dislike a LOT of it. Why? simply because they aren't very original or full of a lot of depth. Sure you have your wierd and orignal series like NGE but then you have your simple, fun but stupid shows like Fist of the North star or Kenjitsu Zan or something. Sadly one FAR outweighs the other. It seems many series don't put a lot of effort into it or suffer from predictable stories. But there are some true gems that push to border and make you go 'wow'. Look at Vampire Hunter D and VHD: Bloodlust both follow the amazingly dark novels well and keep the complexity of the character. Or the Wings of Hommenase, Roujin Z, Princess Mononoke etc. These are the things that keep me hooked, looking at these things I see that Japanese Animation is much like live-action filmaking as it is a true artform that can capture the imagination and hearts of people rather than just try to make them laugh or decide which super hot chick the geeky kid chooses or something.[/quote]

Wait.. wait wait... are you saying that Anime is dull? OTAKU boards man! Otaku's LOVE anime. And I don't think it's fair to compare anime to cartoons in such a way that most of you are. It just isn't the same for me to say that american cartoons stink, if i'm speaking of this student, he doesent like anime nor cartoons, so it really doesent matter if I insult cartoons in front of his face, now does it? You see, he thinks that anime is just big eyed people with funny hair, he's ignorant about anime, but I am certainly not ignorant about american cartoons, I watch them occasinally, ive seen many of them, heck most of them are on TV, If someone is ignorant about anime, they need not insult it. Thats why I spoke of this student.

I'm sorry about my controdicting statement, I needed to clear things up a bit.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well, if someone says he/she hates anime, and you ask what anime he/she has seen, most likely the reply will contain DBZ or Pokemon or both, and not much else. It is rare that someone says that anime is all crap and lists Trigun, Princess Mononoke, Bebop, and Evangelion as the reasons (though Evangelion is more likely than the others). And you can't really blame a person for disliking DBZ/Pokemon, because those shows are aimed at a very particular audience and fail to impress anyone else (I personally hate Dragonball and Dragonball Z with a passion). I agree with Densuke that it's very rude to say something like what Gendou Ikari was told, but it stems, more than anything, from unfamiliarity with the whole of anime. (And I'm sure this has already been said, so I'm sorry to be redundant.)

But responding with "oh yeah? Well American cartoons suck even more!" is definitely the wrong way to go about it, and will make you seem way more stupid than the person you're replying to, because here we ARE educated about both U.S. and Japanese cartoons and should know better than to say something like that. Anyway, I'm not here to criticize anyone saying anything like that, but rather I'm trying to suggest what attitude towards critics of anime one should take.

Again, I'd suggest friendly "education." Maybe mention that colleges feature high-level (albeit extremely easy) courses on the subject of anime and manga, or something. The best thing to do (if you can) is to convince the person to borrow a manga from you and read it, and then tell you what he/she thinks. And tell them that they owe it to you to be fair about it. If you act like that rather than annoyed/offended/angered, then you might actually make good progress (as well as get a new friend, you never know).

Guest gendou ikari
He answered what I would consider, IGNORANTLY. " I've seen allot of em, DBZ,Inu-Yasha, and that Poke crap". THATS why im angry.

[QUOTE]Wait.. wait wait... are you saying that Anime is dull? OTAKU boards man! Otaku's LOVE anime.[/QUOTE]

:confused: You quoted my whole post to say one line?

Anyway, It may be Otaku boards but it's hard to deny the predictability and constant re-occuring themes of anime tv shows and such. The same goes for American cartoon shows and just tv in general.

And American Cartoons are not made sloppy. Look at the original Batman: TAS cartoon and look at most Japanese anime made around the same time ('92-'95). And the writing was simply amazing and groundbreaking for a kids cartoon.

I'll leave this by saying that Cartoons of all kinds can be great and have been great. American, Japanese, Korean, Canadian (scratch that last bit.) all have some awesome toons and a LOT of crap.

[QUOTE=Shiguru]:confused: You quoted my whole post to say one line?

Anyway, It may be Otaku boards but it's hard to deny the predictability and constant re-occuring themes of anime tv shows and such. The same goes for American cartoon shows and just tv in general.

And American Cartoons are not made sloppy. Look at the original Batman: TAS cartoon and look at most Japanese anime made around the same time ('92-'95). And the writing was simply amazing and groundbreaking for a kids cartoon.

I'll leave this by saying that Cartoons of all kinds can be great and have been great. American, Japanese, Korean, Canadian (scratch that last bit.) all have some awesome toons and a LOT of crap.[/QUOTE]

Seperate the wheat from the chaff.

It's also being able to turn off the mind in some places, or appreciate the greater story or work that went into it. For example, I enjoy watching [i]Teen Titans[/i] as much as I enjoyed [i]Babylon 5[/i] or reading [i]Love Hina[/i]. [i]Invader Zim[/i] was always funny to me, but I simply can't laugh whilst watching [i]The Commitments[/i] or [i]The Full Monty[/i]. The drama in [i]Batman[/i] is much greater for me then the drama of [i]Forest Gump[/i]. And my most favorite TV series of all time still is [i]Transformers[/i] and [i]Transformers: Beast Wars[/i], although I am REALLY liking [i]Star Trek: Enterprise[/i]

It's a matter of personal prefferences above all things. My girlfriend will never watch [i]Star Wars[/i] no matter how hard I try to get her to, and yet she sits through and greatly enjoys [i]Card Captor Sakura, Trigun, Hellsing, Lain, Evangelion[/i], and [i]Vampire Princess Miyu,[/i] most of which I don't like.

Guest gendou ikari
let me clear things up a bit, I don't like american cartoons. I do like anime. I was mad because this particular student was ignorant about anime but still judging it. I on the other hand ,am certainly not ignorant about american cartoons.

It is wrong for a person to judge something that they have not experienced.Did that clear things up? I hope it did.

I do like SOME cartoons, but those are along the lines of The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Futurama.

I like American Cartoons. They're fun to watch. I'm a self-proclaimed Simpsoniac. ^^

But I know people who don't like American Cartoons, like my better half. There's nothing wrong in not liking something if you know what it contains. Though, I really don't like those who prejudice and stereotype. They annoy me, those who assume they know everything about a topic just because of one attribute.

It's a horrible shame I tells yah. Though... I MUST defend my Canadian Honour!!! YES WITH A U!

There have been great Canadian Cartoons Shiguru! Don't go assuming Canadian Cartoons are suxors just because they are Canadian. XP That'd be an example of above. Good examples of good Canadian Cartoons are those pieces of art created by Mainframe on the west coast. That would be Reboot, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, SPIDER-MAN!!!! SPIDER-MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN *cough* sorry. ^^

-ArV