OtakuBoards

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Semjaza

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray]I have question, though. [spoiler] Is the hidden skills warrior Link from OoT/MM? I know he says that only heroes can learn the hidden skills, but does that mean Hero of Time heroes or just any heroes? And the songs you howl are all from OoT/MM, so I'm guessing if it is another Link, it'd be that one.[/spoiler'][/color][/quote]

[spoiler]There's a ton of evidence in the game that heavily suggests that the warrior who teaches you all of the hidden skills is the Hero from the past who is mentioned every so often (and if you don't catch on to all of that beforehand, the guy basically admits to being the Hero when you get the final skill, anyway lol). Whether that Hero is another version of Link (such as OoT/MM Link), or someone completely different, I don't know; I'd like to think that he's another Link though. It's fun to think that in some bizarre way Link is teaching himself these skills.[/spoiler]

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Shinmaru][spoiler']There's a ton of evidence in the game that heavily suggests that the warrior who teaches you all of the hidden skills is the Hero from the past who is mentioned every so often (and if you don't catch on to all of that beforehand, the guy basically admits to being the Hero when you get the final skill, anyway lol). Whether that Hero is another version of Link (such as OoT/MM Link), or someone completely different, I don't know; I'd like to think that he's another Link though. It's fun to think that in some bizarre way Link is teaching himself these skills.[/spoiler][/quote]

[color=dimgray] [spoiler]Yeah, but I just wonder how Link became this huge, macho man with giant armor. P:

And he is left-handed! [/spoiler][/color]

A quick question, if I may, to those who have played both the Gamecube and Wii versions: do you prefer one over the other?

I, unfortunately, will not be able to get a Wii or either version of Twilight Princess until February. I'll just be listening to the soundtrack and staring at my pretty Twilight Princess posters and maybe reading a little bit of the strategy guide until I can actually play the game. My leaning is towards the Wii version, but as I have no firsthand experience, I'm guessing I can trust the advice of the OB members.

[COLOR=Teal]Well school has kept me from playing this as much as I would have liked, but I?ve still squeezed in enough playing to have finally finished the fourth dungeon. And to do some exploring on the side. The boss fights for both the third and fourth dungeon were downright fun to play, the third with it?s larger than life aspect and the fourth with the new [spoiler]spinner. I love the spinner! [/spoiler]

But what?s cracked me up the most is when I went into the [spoiler]town next to the castle and played the Star game to get an upgrade for your arrows so you can carry more. [/spoiler] It was too funny how when Link [spoiler] leaves the tent after winning he has fan girls ogling him, and the way they swoon if you talk to them and then leave hearts and run away screaming is priceless. [/spoiler] And now any time I enter the town in that area they [spoiler]stalk Link! LOL! [/spoiler]

Anyway, now I?m off to tackle the fifth dungeon! :catgirl: [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=Teal]

But what?s cracked me up the most is when I went into the [spoiler]town next to the castle and played the Star game to get an upgrade for your arrows so you can carry more. [/spoiler] It was too funny how when Link [spoiler] leaves the tent after winning he has fan girls ogling him, and the way they swoon if you talk to them and then leave hearts and run away screaming is priceless. [/spoiler] And now any time I enter the town in that area they [spoiler]stalk Link! LOL! [/spoiler]

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] XD I loved that so much. Whenever I get bored I go into Castle Town and walk around. Sometimes I [spoiler]change into a wolf outside and chase everyone in the town. :D[/spoiler] Best part, though, is picking up cats. I spend about ten minutes making Link pick up the cats. Just to hear them meow and see the way Link held them. *dies of cuteness attack*[/color]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Yay, I'm almost done the game. Though that's also a nay. I want to finish this story and see this "crappy" ending that everyone seems to call it on GameFAQs but I also want the adventure to continue. D:

[spoiler]So, I just killed Zant. Or Midna did, rather. I think that Zant's character was really cool. He's just such an "emo" (as Shinmaru so perfectly put it) tool. The whole finding Ganon as his God thing was pretty cool, I thought.

I also think that Midna being the TP was a nice touch. It really cleared some things up for me (though she looks dumb without her helmet on in Imp form).

The ending battle was... awesome. It was incredibly easy, but at the same time I thought it was rather fitting. I wouldn't it to be the Boss of the Game battle, but it was good. I enjoyed it. Second favourite boss battle so far (next to the Dragon).[/spoiler]

I can't wait to get started on the final dungeon. Ooooh, mystery.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal]I found the [spoiler]Cave of Ordeals [/spoiler] and based on what I read in this thread once I realized where I was I left since I understand I won?t even be able to get to the end until much later in the game.

However, getting to the point where you find out that you are in the [spoiler]Cave of Ordeals opened up having fairies at one of the springs. [/spoiler] But what was really cute was when I was just standing there in the spring watching them fly about for a moment, one of them [spoiler] landed on Link?s hat and just sat there perched on his head while flapping it?s wings. It was sooo Cute! [/spoiler] I just love how this game has things like this in it. [/COLOR] :catgirl:

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I have a slightly amusing story to tell about my experience in the [spoiler]cave of ordeals[/spoiler]. I pretty much wasn't sure what i was doing, i was just going along, room to room, then i realized where i was. It was just a huge endurance test that i hand't prepared for at all. Luckily i had some soup and some fairy tears. Well, as i worked my way through i used up pretty much all of it. And i'd say at about the 45th room i encountered some archers and a bunch of ground enemies, including some purple chus. Well, i was getting pummeled by fire arrows and most of the enemies, about to die. So i decide to slice up the purple chu and drink some of the chu jelly. At that point i thought that it replenished like 3 hearts every time, cuz that's what happened the first and only time i had done it before. So i slice the guy up, scoop the stuff, and take a drink. I lost all of my hearts down to a quarter heart!!! I screamed at the top of my lungs, as a fire arrow happened to be in midair, right in front of me as i drank the damn thing....i couldn't do anything. I was stunned, shocked, and thoroughly pissed. But now i'm better.

Blasted Chu...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]The trick to the rooms with the masses of ChuChus is to kill one of the red or blue ones before they get absorbed by the purple ones. If you can get a bottle of red or blue chu jelly it's like a free potion mid-way through the cave.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']The trick to the rooms with the masses of ChuChus is to kill one of the red or blue ones before they get absorbed by the purple ones. If you can get a bottle of red or blue chu jelly it's like a free potion mid-way through the cave.[/color][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Oh shoot! I didn't know the purple could do that! ...that explains where the red and blue guys went....i was wondering.

Gee, yudd think those purple guys would be a little better for ya after absorbing all that red and blue goodness. Too bad there's not a white...then it'd be red white and blue! Get it!?

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I?ve kind of given up on getting the chu jellies especially after I found out that drinking the purple ones can have interesting side effects. The only thing that saved me from dying is the fairy I had in another bottle when I drank the purple one and had the effect of it taking hearts instead of giving them.

The best place I?ve found so far to get good chu jelly is on the path to [spoiler] Death Mountain. There is a cave along the walls that a chu lives in that if you bottle it, will restore all your health. [/spoiler] The drawback is that you can only carry one bottle of the stuff at a time.

Oh and you have to have the [spoiler] hook shot to even get in the cave so you can?t get it until after the third dungeon. [/spoiler]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]On the subject of Chu Jellies, I know people have come across the rare, yellow chu jelly that restores all hearts and boosts attack power for a limited time. I have come across only one, and it was on [spoiler]the bridge directly over Lake Hylia[/spoiler]. My question is this: might anyone know where to find some more?

Added to this, to those who have acquired the [spoiler]magic armor, what are your thoughts on it? Could it have been better? Is it fine as it is?[/spoiler]

Even beyond this, did anyone else think that this is an overly easy Zelda game when compared to its predecessors? I keep looking back at Ocarina of Time, and I can't help but get the feeling that the creators put so much effort into the graphics and story, but left the combat and action somewhat dismal. I'm not sure myself, but that's the feeling I keep getting.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]Rachmaninoff already mentioned another place to get rare chu jelly, in his middle paragraph's spoiler. That's the only place I had found it myself.

As for the Magic Armor, it's both completely overpowered and unnecessary if you ask me. Overpowered because of the absolutely ludicrous number of rupees in the game and unnecessary because the game just isn't that hard. Other than a couple rooms in the Cave of Ordeals (those ice spearmen are cheap bastards), I only ever use it to drain rupees so that I don't have to leave treasure chests unopened. They could've made better use of that third tunic slot.

Twilight Princess was actually the hardest of the 3D Zeldas for me, though. I breezed through OoT with zero deaths on my record (and I was only 10 years old at the time!), but TP actually managed to kill me a few times. OoT did have its difficult parts, but overall TP was harder--especially considering how much better I am at the games now than I was when I first played OoT.

But all of the 3D games are still cake when compared to A Link to the Past and the other early 2D Zeldas. They really need to fix that with the newer games. :animesigh[/color]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']But all of the 3D games are still cake when compared to A Link to the Past and the other early 2D Zeldas. They really need to fix that with the newer games. :animesigh[/color][/quote]If you want a challenge, try beating the [spoiler]fifth dungeon while wearing the zora tunic since it makes you more susceptible to fire and ice attacks. [/spoiler] I've yet to try that myself, but when I play it again I intend to. ^_^[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I already beat it using the Ordon Sword by accident, since I didn't notice I had switched out from the Master Sword at some point before going through the dungeon. Everything took twice as many hits as they should have and I still never ran out of soup.

When I play through again I think I might try using the Ordon Sword the whole way through, except where the Master Sword is absolutely necessary.[/color]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue]If you want a challenge, try beating the [spoiler]fifth dungeon while wearing the zora tunic since it makes you more susceptible to fire and ice attacks. [/spoiler'] I've yet to try that myself, but when I play it again I intend to. ^_^[/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I did that. But not on purpose. >_>

Everything did like twice as much damage and by the end of the dungeon I was wondering why the hell everything was so freaking strong. Shame on me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I ended up getting the GameCube version as a belated Christmas gift. I've had it for a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I'm in love with it. Heck, for the last week of creative writing class, most of my poetry has been Twilight Princess themed.

Midna is endlessly more helpful than Navi, and she doesn't usually say anything unless [i]I[/i] talk to [i]her[/i]. (Which means I can wander around completing sidequests, or just wander, without being interrupted every five minutes.) She's quickly become one of my favorite characters, and I love her "voice."

Currently, I need some help for the Snowpeak. I'm trying to [spoiler]snowboard (leafboard?) down to the yetis' house, but I keep falling off the cliff at the narrow jumps after the path goes in a semi-circle curve.[/spoiler] I know that's not a very clear description, but any advice for either that specific point (if you know where I'm talking about) or just how best to go down the path in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm tired of falling off cliffs. :animeswea

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I did that. But not on purpose. >_>

Everything did like twice as much damage and by the end of the dungeon I was wondering why the hell everything was so freaking strong. Shame on me.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I will definitely be doing that, since the game seems way too easy for me. The third boss wasn't even worthy of the title - it was more like a regular enemy with lots of life that just wandered about, doing nothing. I need a real challange!

• 4 weeks later...
[color=dimgray] I finally finished the last two temples of the game today, so I just wanted to get some thoughts out. Zelda endings are always bittersweet to me.

[spoiler] I [i]hate[/i] wallmasters or whatever their name is, even if the one in Twilight Princess didn't directly attack you. The whole time I was trying to secure the sol, I was freaking out about the black hand. >_< It's just plain scary. But the Palace of Twilight really made me wish that there was more Link could do in that realm. [/spoiler]

[quote=Shinmaru][spoiler]I'll give it this, however: Using the finishing blow on Ganon is a cool as **** way to end the battle. The final image of Link and Zelda standing before the sunset and Ganon off to the side with the Master Sword running him straight through is awesome in ways that I can't even express. It's amazing how Ganon's death scenes continue to surpass each other game after game.
[/spoiler][/quote]

Completely agree. [spoiler]The image of Ganondorf after you defeat him in the horseback round was pretty cool, too. Possible better than his actual death. And of course, Link's concern for Midna was so very cute! *pinches Link's cheeks grandmother-like* As for the final ending of the game, I was disappointed. I was wishing for more cutscenes and a fuller explanation, but I'll live.

[b]List of things I want to get out of me:[/b]

- Every girl in this game is taller than Link. Even Zelda. I love this.
- That little ball-rolling game in Hena's fishing hole? Level 6 is killing me. It'd probably harder than all of the dungeons combined.
- I sorta kinda [strike]hate[/strike] don't like Colin. >_> Is it just me?
- I was disappointed that after the game ends and you log into your file, it's saved so that you haven't finished Hyrule Castle. I was hoping that it would be saved so that you could immediately fight Ganondorf whenever.[/spoiler]

Also, two questions:

1) So yeah, Wii Zelda. I look forward to it, but I guess I want some input from OBers. Since Twilight Princess was announced to be the last of its kind, how do you think Wii Zelda will revolutionize the Zelda franchise?

I don't worry about Nintendo screwing it up or anything, but I guess I'll just miss the Zelda formula. It's overdone, but it works so well. All I hope is that Zelda will still be a one-player game with no RPG-style elements where you can switch characters. God, I would hate that so much.

2) [spoiler]When Ganondorf dies, the image of Zant cocking his head confused me. It made it seem as if Zant were controlling Ganon, seeing as it happened after Zant. And didn't he die? :/[/spoiler][/color]

Well I've finally reached the point where I am about to go into the final dungeon. The other dungeons were fun but the boss battles though epic were still fairly easy to figure out. Though I rather liked the [spoiler]double hook shot as using that in the dungeon and for the boss was wicked fun.[/spoiler]

The eight dungeon was fantastic in how it was designed and how things looked, but that fight with the boss was rather anticlimactic. [spoiler]I was not impressed with how it cycled you through all the previous dungeons before the final bit between you and the boss.[/spoiler] And his personality? That was a bit bizarre as I was not expecting him to be such a [spoiler] total dork[/spoiler] for lack of a better word.

However, since I have yet to get to the end of the game I'll reserve my judgment since they were never meant to be the final boss that you fight. And I'm curious to see if the final dungeon makes use of all the gadgets you got during the game, once I finish running around picking up heart pieces and such.

Oh and so far my favorite part of the game has to be the western shoot out. That was a blast.

[color=#4B0082]Regarding the boss of the eighth dungeon, [spoiler]I thought Zant's personality was fitting. From the first time he mentioned that his power wasn't that of his own clan's -- after you beat the Lakebed Temple I think it was -- I knew he was just another puppet being manipulated by Ganon. Zant turning out to be the pitiful coward that he was really highlighted the fact that Ganon was using the poor sap for his own gain and nothing more.[/spoiler] And besides, it made beating the crap out of him that much more satisfying.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Regarding the boss of the eighth dungeon, [spoiler]I thought Zant's personality was fitting. From the first time he mentioned that his power wasn't that of his own clan's -- after you beat the Lakebed Temple I think it was -- I knew he was just another puppet being manipulated by Ganon. Zant turning out to be the pitiful coward that he was really highlighted the fact that Ganon was using the poor sap for his own gain and nothing more.[/spoiler'] And besides, it made beating the crap out of him that much more satisfying.[/color][/quote]Hmmm... lets see if I can do a better job this time. Even though you find out after the [spoiler]Lakebed Temple that his power came from somewhere else, he still had a more menacing feel to him, so the way he turned out to be such a coward was a bit surprising. It just threw me for a loop, even though it make sense that Ganon would choose such a loser since someone better wouldn't have been a good idea.[/spoiler]

In the end even though it was fun to [spoiler]beat him. I was mainly disappointed in how they used the various dungeon settings instead of being more unique as far as the battle goes. I was hoping for an arena unique to the Twilight Realm instead of the use of previous dungeons.[/spoiler] Though that's just me. ;)

[color=#4B0082]He was still rather menacing, yeah. [spoiler]I knew he was just a puppet after that, but I didn't see that huge reversal in his personality coming. Agahnim and Vaati have both been used in similar ways in the series and they stayed mean to the end, so that still seemed likely with Zant. I went in expecting a big, serious fight like Agahnim before Ganon in LttP, or Vaati before Ganon in FSA. And then Zant turned out to be a little wanker, which made me laugh at him through the entire fight.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The recycling of previous boss and miniboss settings was kind of annoying, yeah. I don't think the fight was really intended to be very serious or difficult, though. Even during the last part of the fight with him, his attacks seem frantic and desparate and he never does much damage if you get hit. (On another note, it's also one of the worst places to not have a manual camera in the Wii version, since Zant frequently appears behind you and it's hard to see him in time to dodge.) Again, I was laughing pretty much the entire time and I found it really satisfing to kick the coward back into his place after all the trouble he caused.[/spoiler][/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Feh! And here I'm only just about to enter the eighth dungeon. If only I didn't have homework, chores, needing to actually sleep... :animesigh

Still so far out of all the dungeons the seventh one with the [spoiler]hook shot [/spoiler]was totally fun and by far my favorite so far. I really enjoyed that one. And for the in between parts, just as others have mentioned, the western shoot out was totally cool! The first time I was all stealthy and careful with my shots, but when I got distracted by [spoiler] getting another special move [/spoiler] the next time I was jumping though windows and totally into it.

And then though it wasn't quite as much fun I went back and did the cat game. Hehe, that was kind of fun too! :catgirl: [/COLOR]