OtakuBoards

Gensomaden Saiyuki

Dan Rugh

What is your favorite Saiyuki main character?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Saiyuki main character?

• Genjo Sanzo
    • Son Goku
    • Cho Hakkai
    • Sha Gojyo

I've been seeing pictures from this anime (Saiyuki) and reading a little about it here and there for a while now. I thought it looked pretty good so I bought volumes 1, 2, and 4 on eBay. It probably would've been smarter to wait for the first one to get here before buying two more, but I had a good feeling about this anime. :)

So, the first volume finally arrived today and I've watched the first 2 episodes out of the 5 that are on the DVD. I must say that I'm very happy that I bought it!

Has anyone else ever taken a chance on an anime? What was the outcome?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the first one and watched the whole thing and loved it! you should really watch the rest it gets increadibly good. I think this series was done really well. My favorite part is the first episode where the red haired guy cut down the demon in hyperspeed. WOW.

I took a chance on the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series.... and it turned out to be a total waste of money. Poor animation, a total lack of characterization, uninteresting dialogue--need I say more? >_<

I'm interested in seeing Saiyuki, but I was planning on renting it. Anyway, what aspects of the show appealed to you?

~Dagger~

Welp, the character art always looked really cool to me (see picture below). Then after I decided that I loved the art, I read a little about the story and found out that it is based on the ancient Chinese legend "The Monkey King" aka "Journey to the West". This is the same story that Dragonball had VERY small ties to. Saiyuki follows the legend more closely. Like Dragonball, there is a monkey boy named Son Goku who likes to eat.

[img]http://toonix.new21.net/comic/fruit/saiyuki.jpg[/img]
[size=1][i]From Left: Cho Hakkai (with his dragon Hakuryuu), Sanzo Genjo, Sha Gojyo, and Son Goku. My favorite is Gojyo. :)[/i][/size]

I recommend this to anyone who like anime with demon-slaying and/or adventuring such as InuYasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, or Fushigi Yuugi.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]I took a chance on the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series.... and it turned out to be a total waste of money. Poor animation, a total lack of characterization, uninteresting dialogue--need I say more? >_<[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Watch the OAV series, instead. It was really good and the creepiness factor was superb. The tv series did lack alot, especially after seeing the OAVs. So yes, go give the Vampire Princess Miyu OAVs a chance!

And I am totally off-topic! *Shuts up* (Dagger, your banner, it's lovely. Who are those girls?)[/color][/size]

I've seen the first volume of the Miyu OAVs--and I agree, they're far superior to the TV series, particularly considering their age. I love the concept and the character designs; I actually bought a Narumi Kakinouchi artbook before ever having heard of her work. The manga is fairly good, too, though not among my favorites.

Now I just have to get around to buying the second volume.

(They're from the show Shamanic Princess, which is among the most under-rated animes of all time. I can't recommend it enough. The girl on the left is Tiara; the girl on the right is called Sara.)

Er..... anyway, about Saiyuki. If it compares favorably to Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho, I'll certainly have to check it out, since I enjoy both of those shows. One last question, though: does it skew more towards action or comedy?

Thanks for your patience. ^__^

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]... action or comedy?[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, I've only seen 4 episodes so far and in my opinion it's more of an action show, I'd say. There is also a good mix of comedy in there, especially between Gojyo and Goku. :laugh:

I will warn you, though. There is a lot of adult language in Saiyuki. I've heard Son Goku and/or Gojyo say the following green words: the S word, the A word, both B words, D-head, Damn, etc... Also, Gojyo is quite the ladies' man and often refers to sexual situations. HAHA! It's funny, though. If all of this is cool with you, pick up (at least) the first volume for sure.

It sounds interesting, but what is the story itself? Whats the mission?

I myself have taken loads of monetary related risks. I buy before I try heh^_^; This includes Anime, Vid games, and pretty much anything. Not the greatest thing to do when you don't exactly have a lot of money to begin with-_-; But in most cases, things have worked out well enough, especially anime^_^. I hadn't even heard of Ghost in the Shell or GTO when I bought those using my birthday/X-mas money. After watching those, I really got into anime, so in otherwords, my risks brought me to anime^_^.

The story is (taken from the back of the first DVD and tweaked a bit by yours truly)...

Once, demons and man lived together in harmony. But when a band of rogue demonic forces sought to resurrect a diabolical monster (Gyumaoh), dark spiritual energy began to cover the land-and the demons decided mankind was no longer friend, but food. Now, it's up to a renegade priest (Sanzo), a monkey king (Goku), a lecherous water sprite (Gojyo), and a sympathetic demon(Hakkai) to stop the resurrection and return harmony to the dangerous land.

There you have it. I've seen up to episode 7 now that my second volume arrived. I also received volume 4 today, but not 3 yet. :)

[img]http://kangarugh.250free.com/saiyuki-1-4.jpg[/img]

No way!!!

That is only the fan-fiction junk. I would never watch it if it had any signs of yaoi. The main characters are all VERY straight, they're just really close to each other. If you were to watch one episode of Saiyuki, you'd know right away that they are definitely not gay.

[i][color=lightpink]OMG! I saw the DVD at suncoast when i went there on Sunday and i looked at it and i was like "I must get this soon..." I've heard the VA/seiyuu's sing in japanese, and they sound sexy. Yes Yes. I just can't wait to buy it...once i get more money I will buy it and be happy. And they kinda remind me of Weis Kreuz. that's another good anime if you want to check it out! ^^; *is a Weiss Kreuz addict, ecpecially to the baddies... Schuldig... -drool-*[/color][/i]

• 3 months later...
[color=coral]Anyone heard of that anime/manga? I want to know who shares the same passion of loving this anime/manga with me! Discuss them here ^_^

It's a remake of the original story, [i]Journey To The West[/i]. The highest ranked monk was summoned to stop someone from reviving Gyumao. The monk, Genjo Sanzo, alng with 3 youkais(demons) Sha Gojyo & Cho Hakkai
It all begins with a journey to the West. Along the way the go through painful, sweet, sour, biiter experience.

They have to stop the revival of Gyumao before it's too late. Also, it's not easy as they travelled using a Jeep and difficult obstacles awaits them.
Before these, they actually live in [i]tenkai[/i](heaven).

Hakkai known as Tenpou Gensui(in Heaven) was field-marshal of the West he tried to go for a lower ranks as he doesn't want to be well-known but still, he outshine others with his intelligence & personality.
Sanzo known as Konzen Douji does adminstrative work for his auntie, [i]Kanzeon Bosatsu[/i](Goddess of Mercy). He was in-charge of taking care of Goku and was Tenpou's best friend.
Gojyo known as ..what Kenren(I forgot the first part) was a high-ranking soldier but very defiant, also a best friend Tenpou but hated Konzen's guts.
Goku known as Goku no changes. Goku was brought to [i]tenkai[/i] as he was a rare kind, able to change to [i]Sentei Taisen[/i] powerful, equal tothe Gods.
All of them were send down to Earth because of an unfortunae tragedy. All we executed except for Goku who was imprisoned on the..what mountain(forgot the name again). All of their memories about heaven was erased but we don't know if it's for a good purpose or a cruel deed[/color]

I love Saiyuki!

I am in the process of collecting all the DVD's and art books right now and will get the manga after that. If only I had more money! This is the very first anime in a long time that I couldn't wait for the next DVD to come out. I hadn't heard anything about the series until I saw it at the local video rental place. The cover art caught my eye and I decided to rent it to see what it was about. After that I was hooked! I have never been happier taking a chance on an unknown anime before in my life!

I love the combination of the drama of all the characters' past and the humor. The way the characters interact is great. I think it was a very invent spin on the "Monkey King" tale.

Genjo Sanzo... what a hottie! It's strange, I have never been a fan girl drooling over some anime guy, but I have made an exception for Sanzo. :love:

I enjoyed watching Saiyuki very much, too!

Which character do I like? ALL OF THEM!

Gojyo and Sanzo are yummy.

I simply love Hakkai.

And Goku is soo adorable.

My sister absolutely looves Sanzo! Saiyuki, by far, is her most favorite anime of all time. She has the TV Fanimation book, and is planning on getting the first manga volume in March. As for the show itself, we are currently making our way through the second season [vol. 8 is coming out this week!].

So far so good!

Why do I like Saiyuki! I guess it just boils down to the fact that I can depend on that show to make me feel better when I'm having a lousy day. Seriously. :D

Hakkai is mine! Hands off. I've only seen a few episodes but, I really like the series, naomisan24, knows what japanese legend it and many other anime's are based on. I forgot. :sweat: I was intrieged by it when we saw the preiviews form... either Animerica or ... somthing... Then me and my friends saw another few ones they were pretty neat. Goko is way too hyper... and whats with all the food? Gojyo is the perverted/gir obsessed one. (I think) and Sanzo, is too wierd. o.0 And you thought nothing was too weird for me.

Does anyone know how many eps long Saiyuki is? I got the first dvd as a gift and I dunno whether to get s'more. Now that I'm finally done getting Kenshin dvds I'm ready to get something else...er...when I get some $$ too. Anyway I just wanted to know how many episodes were in the series, and if they're all out in America now. I'd hate to start buying saiyuki dvds and have to wait a year before they're all even out.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SephirothNIN [/i]
[B]Does anyone know how many eps long Saiyuki is? [/B][/QUOTE]

The series is about 50 to 52 episodes long. So far, I'm pretty sure that all of these episodes will be coming to the US.

I think that there are 2 movies.

In addition, season three is currently being aired in Japan, called Saiyuki Reload.

Sanzo too weird?!?!? Ryu, how can you say that about MY Sanzo!?!?!

]

I think Genjo Sanzo is a very strong character who has gone through a lot of trials in his life. He was abandoned by his parents and sent floating down the river, watched the one person he really cared about killed in front of him and is now on a mission from the Gods to "save the world". That is a heavy load to carry. I don't think he is weird, he just has alot of baggage to deal with.

[color=coral]No, no! Hakkai & Sanzo is mine! he! he! he! Currently over here, there's saiyuki RELOAD, the continuation to the 2 season of the anime. Currently, on Vol. 3. The anime, I've watch both the first & the second season. Love them. There's Seaon 3 of on VCD/DVD on sale, but it's in Chinese, I cant's read chinese. I'm currently waiting for the English subtitle, though. So i read the mang only first because it's almost the same as the anime on Season 3. [spoiler]Sanzo & company, have this make-over. Goke is sexier, he! he! he! Kou-taichi also goes through a transformation. new clothing. Kou looks hot inhis new clothes. I'll find a pic of him in the new clothing for you guys, okay?[/spoiler][/color]

Wai~~! I just got into Saiyuki a few months and have been head-over-heels ever since. Are all the DVDs really out in America? Because the last DVD I rented was only the beginning of the second season, but there was a commercial on it that said the last DVDs were in America now! I don't know what to believe anymore!! Ohhhh, and the AVD Films website only mentioned the last one I saw! Waaah, I'm so confused. Anyway, on to more precise matters, I'm planning on doing a Sanzo costume for Fanime this year. I was thinking of making a Kanon costume, but without Hakkai no one would recognize me... So, that idea's out. But I am going to try the Sanzo costume. Anyone wanna help fill in the rest of party? (PS: I WILL hit you with my paper fan, Goku-Cosplayers and Gojyo-Cosplayers!)

• 3 months later...
[COLOR=Navy]I merged your thread with the pre-existing Saiyuki topic. Next time, please be sure to check the Directory before creating a new series discussion.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

Dear Dagger,
[INDENT]I've[/INDENT] searched the directory in the sticky thread and there was NO Gensomaden found. Then I tried searching in the forum and found out that Gensomaden thread was closed. I had no choice but to make a new one.

~noelmvilla~

No Saiyuki?
Hey, can anyone tell me...
Is "Reload" a translation "Gensomaden"?
One time, I searched and found a name of "Saiyuki Reload" with the Genso. characters in it...

[SIZE=4]WHATEVER![/SIZE]
Well, Genso is one of my fave animes.
It has a really cool story and plot.
A very unique combination of sadness, adventure, battle, bloodshed, romance, loneliness and a lot more.
It starts with 4 descendants of the Gods who are sent to the west to stop the chaos demons are creating.
They also have to stop the revival of Gyu-Mao, some all-mighty demon.
These four guys are:
Genjo Sanzo (Konzen Douji)
Cho Hakkai (Tenpo Gensui)
Sha Gojyo (Kenren Taisho)
Son Goku (Seiten Taisei)
On their journey to the west, they meet foes like:
Kougaiji
Dokugakuji
Yaone
Lilin
And there's more:
Homura
Shien
Zenon

Gensomaden Saiyuki is jampacked with comedy, action and those freakily sad moments.

Just post all ya want.
Will all the fans please share your knowledge?
I DID.

[b]Fine![/b]

You lot can have Hakkai and Gojyo, I'll keep my Kenren and Tenpou *giggles and snuggles them*. (For anyone who doesn't know, Kenren & Tenpou= Gojyo & Hakkai's previous divine incarnations in Heaven out of Saiyuki Gaiden. And apparently, they're canon lovers too :D Heeheeheehee)

But yes, I am a big fan of Minekura's work (mmmm Wild Adapter *drools*), and my Saiyuki scanlations and manga are some of my most prized posessions. The anime I'm kinda meh about, since they're obviously marketing it to a different audience, and the animation sometimes slacks off a bit. But it's still good.

Also, I adore it, simply because Journey to the West has always been one of my all-time favourite stories ever, and so any incarnation of it I love! Yay Monkey!

Oh and (edit) Reloaded is extra stories Minekura did of the bunch post-Gensomaden I think. Gaiden is a "prequel" detailing the groups lives' in heaven 500 years ago. It starts when Konzen gets lumped with looking after Goku, which creates much hilarity, and eventually angst and violence. You also meet Kenren and Tenpou, and Nataku as well. And of course, Kanzeon, hermaphrodite freak that she/he is...

One of the best sites online for this stuff is [url=http://bane-huntress.co.uk/OffLicence/Manga-Review.html]Demon Off Licence[/url], so if you're looking for Minekura stuff, that's the place to go. ^^

• 3 weeks later...
I just finished watching three of the episodes and I love it! Sanzo's eyes bothered me at first because of the odd slant, but now they're cool. As for my favorite character so far...Son Goku. He is so funny and blood thirsty. Seeing him getting excited before battle is hilarious, though, the show is all awesome.

[color=indigo]I've been hearing a lot about Saiyuki recently, and I wanted to dl some episodes of it. The only problem is there seems to be a second series (I think) and I don't know which one is the first. So, I was hoping somepne could tell me which is the first series, so I can watch and be content. Thanks![/color]

[color=#4b0082][color=#503f86][size=1][b]I deleted your second post- it's against the rules to double-post on the boards. Just be patient, heh. I'm sure someone'll be able to answer your question. I also merged your thread with the original Saiyuki one, to save on congestion. -Solo[/size][/color][/b][/color]