OtakuBoards

Gensomaden Saiyuki

Dan Rugh

What is your favorite Saiyuki main character?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Saiyuki main character?

• Genjo Sanzo
    • Son Goku
    • Cho Hakkai
    • Sha Gojyo

moogle, the first Saiyuki series is currently in the process of being released by A. D. Vision. The North American version is called "Saiyuki" instead of "Gensomaden Saiyuki." Rather than downloading the show, you can simply rent or buy its DVDs. Geneon recently licensed Saiyuki Reload (which I [i]think[/i] comes directly after Gensomaden), so that should come out in perhaps half a year, depending on how quickly they dub it.

~Dagger~

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Navy]Since double-posting is not allowed, I merged your two replies.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

Congratulations! You're a Saiyuki fan. We're getting our cult tattoos on Thursday.

Hee Hee!

I took a chance on Saiyuki too and now I own DVDs 1-11, the Saiyuki Reload import boxset, the movie and the OVA and about 17 posters. ^__^ I'm crazy. Now you will be too!!

-----

I'M HERE TO ANSWER EVERYBODY'S QUESTION!!

Is Saiyuki Reload another series of Gensomaden?

YES! Saiyuki Reload is a continuation of their journey west. In teh 7th DVD they introduce three gods, Homura, Zenon and Shien who want to make a new world using the Maten and Seiten scriptures of heaven and earth which stops them on their journey west.

In Reload, they continue on with the journey after their encounter with the three rogue gods. In Reload, they fight a human, who wants to be a Sanzo priest and steals Sanzo's scripture which disrupts them on their journey west once again!

In Reload: Gunlock, they are still on the road west, I haven't seen this series yet so I don't know if it ends there or not.

I've been toying with the idea of buying the Saiyuki DVDs for at least half a year; my main concern is that I tend to be pretty finicky about long shounen fighting series. The only ones I really love and would happily watch again are Getbackers, Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter. Inuyasha, Naruto and (to a lesser extent) Rurouni Kenshin just have no replay value for me. If you had to compare Saiyuki to any other action anime, which would you choose?

~Dagger~

I love Saiyuki!!!! I own the first three dvds and I'm working on getting some cash to get the 4th. Let me clear one thing since everyone is holding there fav. char. hostage I shall reveal mine. You can tell one of the by looking at my banner and ava.(I love Goku with the long hair). If not well then Goku is MINE!!! Along with Kougaiji. So hands off Goku and Kougaiji!!!!!!

I Saiyuki is a mixture of some of my fav.elements of anime. Comedy and action. I was wondering if anyone has seen the saiyuki movie(there's only one(i think)), and if so is it worth buying? The movie's name is Requiem. And there are 50 ep. in the first season. Another char. that I like is Lirin. I find her humurous and love when her and her brother fight in ep.9. Fight Party or Lethal Trap. Whichever.

• 6 months later...
I asked for this series for Christmas (and got it), because I enjoyed the first 2 volumes of the manga (but I quit buying manga).

The world of Shangri-La. A nice place where demons and man lived together. But not for long. An evil demon king is being raised out of his prison by his wife & son, causing the demons to react and uprise, making them enemies against the humans. The gods have chosen a renegade preist, a water sprite, a monkey king, and a demon who uses chi (very well, I might add) to stop this evil force.

Anyway, the story of Saiyuki has an interesting background. Originally, it is a Chinese folktale named "Xi-jou-ki"(sp; you can see the similarities). It (and Saiyuki) is about a Buddist preist (Genjyo Sanzo), a water sprite (Gojyo), a monkey king (Son Goku), and...a pig (Cho Hakkai). But this anime is much more different than its Chinese counterpart. Sanzo, while holding a high Buhddist position, is constantly killing, smoking, and is in the company of 3 other demons who are just as lazy and kill-happy as Sanzo. Replacing the stuffy roles of the 4 main characters are those tall, long-haired bishounens all the girlies can't get enough of.

Since ths is more modern, the script has probably been alterd from the original story. Oh yeah, "everbody's favorite anime", the Dragonball series, was based from Saiyuki's Chinese descendant. How? Goku, for one, in DBGT, turns into a monkey.

So, who else likes this series?

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Wow... an old thread!

Even after watching the whole series, I still recommend reading the manga. The Tokyopop version carries tons of trivia about the references made in Saiyuki including the origins of Sanzo's chants and that *points up*. Plus there's that wonderful 4-page special on volume2 --- *shuts up*

Ah well. Dokugakuji's mine.

Love and Peace!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

bout the manga , do all the covers pretty much look the same? xcept fer the change in character ?(meaning does the background always look about the same)

oooooooooooops...
srry ... i 4 got about not mentioning manga in the anime section... such a new b...

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Don't double-post, please. If there's something you want to add to your original post, you can use the 'Edit' button underneath your post. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

*sighs* ahhh saiyuki now i'm in the right topic lmao...

I was first introduced to saiyuki by this women that works at the Suncoast i always buy my anime from...i asked her one day what was a great anime to buy since i was looking and shopping around something good to watch, and she told me you will deffently like Saiyuki, i was a little bit Iffy at first because the character designe was different from what i was used to, came home and watched it and i was laughing my *** off, it was the most out spoken anime i had seen at the time and i just feel in love with it...

So now i have all of the First Saiyuki and i am waiting for them to release Requiem and Reloaded, and i already have them resurved, if you are looking for an interesting anime to watch Saiyuki is it...

I have tons of saiyuki things, wall scrolls, manga, illustration books, and music cds...

another thing i liked about Saiyuki was there music of choice...its great ...

Of course you can tell who my character of choice is...GOKU...

Guest sea maiden
My parents have on demand, and I watched Requiem on that, so it was in english, but I still enjoyed it. I'm sure it's much better in Japanese, but a poor college student has to take what she can get, lol. The nature scenes were beautifully done! It was just as good as the show, in my opinion. However, I've only seen up to ep 12, so I may not be the best judge. Once again, poor college student...

My fave character is definitely Sanzo. He doesn't take s--t from ppl. He does what most of us want to do, shoots or hits those who annoy him. There are definitely times when I wish I could just pull a gun on someone and tell them to f-off!

• 4 weeks later...
Oh yay!I finally found my way to the Saiyuki thread^_^Thanks Random moderator

Anyway, I have Saiyuki RELOAD volumes 2,3,4, I have watched the entire Gensomaden Saiyuki series,have been hunting down Gaiden and have heard that a new Saiyuki manga, Saiyuki OFFROAD, is currently being sold in Japan and can be only obtained via Zero Sum

I love Saiyuki so much!Expecially Ukoku(well, isn't that obvious-_-)

Me thinks you should change the thread name,or someone might create a thread for RELOAD

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]I have the first three volumes of the anime , and I enjoyed everything I've seen so far. Lots of action, great artwork, and I like the humor involved too. Saiyuki follows the story closer than Dragonball does, which is a nice touch. (I'd like to see Son Goku and Goku fight. If it was DB Goku, it would be better matched, but DBZ Goku, Son Goku would be outmatched.) I like the characters too. Senjo is a very unlikely preist. He drinks, smokes, and is constantly yelling at Goku and Gojo. "SHUT UP BACK THERE, OR I'LL KILL YOU BOTH!" Gojo is a huge womanizer, and enjoys a good smoke and a stiff drink. "Hey, Baby. Feel'n frisky?" He'd get slapped for that these days. Cho is very laid back, calm, and polite. "I would be honored if you'd be my opponent." And Son Goku is hyperactive, spunky, loves to fight, and loves to eat. "Are we goin to a resturant Senjo!? Huh?! Huh!? Huh!? Are we!? Are we!?" And Goku and Gojo are always arguing. "Awright! Rice balls!!" "The Beer, Goku! Get the beer!!" That's always fun. I'm looking forward to Saiyuki Reload. I ever met these guys, we're going out for drinks :) . What do you think?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

• 5 months later...
I didn't know anything about Saiyuki. One day my brother came home with some manga and I took a look. I didn't like any at first, but I didn't even give them a chance. So I asked a friend, she told me Saiyuki was the best thing ever. So I took the book from my older brother(without asking). I read the first book and fell in love. Well long story short, I ended up riping it and my brother said I could have it, because he didn't like it. So know I have the first 9. And boy do I wan't more. I've seen the first 10 episodes I think. :D

well, for me, I heard about it from my brother and my cousin. They said that it was popular, so I thought I'd check it out. I bought the first one, and I wanted more. I've read the first 9 books too, and I'm trying to save up to buy the series. I can't wait for Saiyuki reload to come out. :animesmil

[QUOTE=Dan Rugh]I've been seeing pictures from this anime (Saiyuki) and reading a little about it here and there for a while now. I thought it looked pretty good so I bought volumes 1, 2, and 4 on eBay. It probably would've been smarter to wait for the first one to get here before buying two more, but I had a good feeling about this anime. :)

So, the first volume finally arrived today and I've watched the first 2 episodes out of the 5 that are on the DVD. I must say that I'm very happy that I bought it!

Has anyone else ever taken a chance on an anime? What was the outcome?[/QUOTE]

Um, if you mean taking a chance of buying one off ebay that I didn't really know, yea. I took a chance with the movie vampire hunter d, and I really liked it. I also bought hellsing as soon as I read the first book, but back to saiyuki, I bought all nine. I suggest that you get them in order.

• 3 months later...
I just love Saiyuki to death. I started off with the manga's. I loved those so I figured why not try out the anime. So I bought the first volume, it's sooo good. I just love it. Goyjo and all the other boys are just so good looking. I think they did a great job on the animation. The story line is alittle jumpy but I can't get enough. I just got some of the Saiyuki reloaded manga's. I haven't even come close to that with the anime. I only have the first 2 volumes. But I do have the movie, and let me tell you it's sooo good. Plus it's got Goyjo in a shower seen. How can you beat that. Lol.

• 2 months later...
:catgirl: Hello anyone here knows something about Sayuki? I haven't seen anything about it so I suppose I'll bring it up. Sayuki is a really good Anime and the manga is just Awesome. ;) It is a remake of the old story [I]Journey to the west[/I] a story about a priest traving to India in search for a secrid scroll. In this Sayuki " they kick it up a noch" in the words of [I]Emerale[/I] :mrt: All the characters are hot guys. Priest is A bad a** Hottie, and the followers are just to drool over :tasty: as well. If you have not seen it you should cause it is worth watching. :D

Saiyuki is great a perfect mix of action and comedy. Whats great is the double barrel collection it comes wth 10-8 episodes per volume(a total of 6 volumes). If your gonna start the series pick these up itll save you alot of money. I love all the chacters they all have differnt distinct personalties. I havent read the manga yet but if it offers the same quality of the anime it must be good.

Grave Yard, the manga is indeed as good as the anime. In fact, to date, Saiyuki is the only manga I own all of the currently released volumes of. Unfortunately, I believe that there are only 14 volumes of the manga. It certainly makes you wonder where the anime and manga begin to diverge, since the anime is really long.

So, all things considered, I am going to join the vote on reccommending Saiyuki because it is the perfect blend of action and comedy, and that the characters are so well thought out that I half expect to meet them on the street. Besides, everyone knows that Sanzo's fan is the best weapon of all time.

Hm, on a side note, obsessive Saiyuki fans scare me as much as obsessive GW fans.

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Stark][/font][/color]...the manga is indeed as good as the anime.[color=DarkGreen'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] I'd call that insulting to the manga. Sorry to be the downer in this thread, but I was really quite disappointed with the Saiyuki anime.

I've read all the manga that's out in the UK (volumes 1-9 ... I think that's all of it, because the next scheduled release is volume 1 of Reload). It is [b]awesome, [/b]but that's a discussion for the Manga Workshop, I guess. It's just ... the anime seems so dumbed-down. There's very little of the worldly brutality in it; the characters just seem like they're having a laugh all the time, and okay, they do that in the manga too, but there's also the constant awareness that they're killing their own kind.

It really irked me that every time a youkai is killed, the anime simply shows their silhouette, on a white background, dispersing into a lot of little black specks. In the manga there was [b]gore a-plenty, [/b]and I can't see why the anime creators decided to lose that. They also cut out a lot of the nastier details of Hakkai's backstory: [spoiler]in the manga, Kanan was his adopted sister as well as his lover; he also manages to entirely rip out his right eye, instead of being stopped by Goku as in the anime.[/spoiler] It just seems that the conversion people have taken quite an adult manga and tried to turn it into a younger kids' anime, and I don't think it works.

(Don't even get me started on the English dub. I'll just stop here before I rant my typing fingers to the bone.)
[/font][/color]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu][color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS] I'd call that insulting to the manga. Sorry to be the downer in this thread, but I was really quite disappointed with the Saiyuki anime.

I've read all the manga that's out in the UK (volumes 1-9 ... I think that's all of it, because the next scheduled release is volume 1 of Reload). It is [b]awesome, [/b]but that's a discussion for the Manga Workshop, I guess. It's just ... the anime seems so dumbed-down. There's very little of the worldly brutality in it; the characters just seem like they're having a laugh all the time, and okay, they do that in the manga too, but there's also the constant awareness that they're killing their own kind.

It really irked me that every time a youkai is killed, the anime simply shows their silhouette, on a white background, dispersing into a lot of little black specks. In the manga there was [b]gore a-plenty, [/b]and I can't see why the anime creators decided to lose that. They also cut out a lot of the nastier details of Hakkai's backstory: [spoiler]in the manga, Kanan was his adopted sister as well as his lover; he also manages to entirely rip out his right eye, instead of being stopped by Goku as in the anime.[/spoiler] It just seems that the conversion people have taken quite an adult manga and tried to turn it into a younger kids' anime, and I don't think it works.

(Don't even get me started on the English dub. I'll just stop here before I rant my typing fingers to the bone.)
[/font][/color][/QUOTE]

Ok, yeah the manga's are good. But come on.. the anime has things wrong with it for sure. But the dub is great. The actors fit them to them so well. So what that they didn't go into great ditail about Kana. That was somthing I for sure didn't want to hear about him. I don't know about the rest of you. I don't really think they were trying to make it into a kids anime. I think it was more along the lines of toning it down. I know I sometimes find it to be a bit over the top. And I'm a huge fan. But that's not the point. No matter what you read and watch it's going to have it's differences. Ok Saiyuki has a few that I don't like to be true. Sure I hate the way the youkai die as well. But still it's a great anime. With funny puns everywhere. And sexual and rude, yet funny things squeezed in.

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='lumpy3922][/font][/color]But the dub is great. The actors fit them to them so well.[color=DarkGreen'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Sure, the voices fit the characters pretty well. It's just a shame the voice actors were chosen for that, and not their acting talent. The guy who plays Sanzo concentrates more on maintaining his Jack Bauer/Solid Snake gruffness than putting any emotion into his lines. Gojyo always sounds like he's speaking slightly ... slower ... than ... can ... be ... considered ... normal.

And I have issues with the translation; Hakkai swears (which, as an unashamed Hakkai fanboy, really grated with me), and the lines are written in such a way as to create huge pauses in dialogue (where, in the Japanese, the line takes longer to say) which really break the tension.

But hey, I don't have to watch it. I just stick to manga, it doesn't make me grind my teeth in rage :p
[/font][/color]

[quote name='Raiyuu'] Sure, the voices fit the characters pretty well. It's just a shame the voice actors were chosen for that, and not their acting talent.][/quote]

I completely agree. While the voices fit the chacters the acting is terrible. Theres no emotion in the lines and everyonne speaks to slowly. Another problem I have is the crappy filler episodes. They dont move the story along and they dont have any chacter devlopment. I still like the anime but Im sure the manga is better. Ill defintly pick up a copy.