OtakuBoards

Best Gameboy

Nordic Angel

I don't know why anyone would choose a normal GBA over a SP, other than the price difference. $69 to $99 is a decent gap, although I've seen the SP on sale for $89 rather often (this week at Circuit City even, since the new NES SP is out).

The SP has a built in front light, it folds shut to protect the screen, the chargable battery is far more convenient and cheaper in the long run. Strangely, I find it even more comfortable to hold than the original GBA, which I wasn't expecting when the SP was first unveiled.

I'd get the SP and be done with it heh.

[color=darkviolet]I think I'll go with what Semjaza said. The last game boy I used was the original 2 color, knock someone out with it, 1989 original game boy. Come to think of it, I still have to get a better score on Tetris next time I play. I still remember playing Mario on the one my orthodontist had in his office while they tightened my braces. Ouch!

I was thinking of getting my husband one of the GBA for his birthday so he'd have something to play with besides the computer which likes to act up. So I think I'll use this thread for advice as well.

Ja [/color]

[color=teal]I don't think anyone would buy a regular GB anymore. The only good thing about getting a regular GB would probably be that its cheaper than SP but not as good.
Pros SP:
-Folding screen
-smaller in size next to the regular GB
-The price is not bad.
-Different colors to choose from
-You can play regular GB and SP games on it.
-Hooks up to a game cube.

Cons of SP
-Cons? what are those?[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I realy[I] REALY [/I] like the Game Boy Avanced better than the SP! ive tried the SP and my hands get all cramped because the thing is [I]way[/I] to small! and if like the SP better because it has that rechargeable pack, well i bought a neat little thing for my GBA that you clip in the back and it makes you hold the GB like a playstation colrtoller! it also comes with a recharge plug! and you can always buy a light or just turn the light on! and SP screens, are they the same size as the GBA ones? i dont know... well i just have to say i like the GBA!

-Peach[/COLOR]

[color=indigo]The only thing I don't like about the GBA SP is that you have to either buy specially made headphones for the thing, or get an adapter in order to use regular headphones. Oh, and maybe the fact that you can't charge the battery while using a GCN-GBA cable, but that's a pretty minor inconvenience.

Other than those two minor annoyances, however, I think the SP stands above the original GBA in every way. I bought my SP the day they were released, and its screen has still yet to recieve a single scratch, thanks to the folding design. The face buttons are also much more responsive -- I like that "clicky" feeling they have -- and there's more action on the R and L buttons, making it easier to hold them down for extended periods of time without accidentally letting them up at all. (You have no idea how many times I've fired off an item in Mario Kart: Super Circuit without meaning to because of the original GBA's R and L buttons). Like Semjaza, I find the SP a lot more comfortable to hold (mainly because of the changed positioning of the R and L buttons). And finally, the built-in frontlight is better than any light that I've seen for the original GBA. There's absolutely no glare, and it's bright enough that everything is perfectly clear even when playing in complete darkness, [i]and[/i] it doesn't lower the battery life below the 15 hours that the original GBA gets.

Oh, and yes, the SP's screen is the same size as the original GBA's.[/color]

[quote name='JuliasPeach][COLOR=DarkOrange']well i bought a neat little thing for my GBA that you clip in the back and it makes you hold the GB like a playstation colrtoller! it also comes with a recharge plug! and you can always buy a light or just turn the light on! and SP screens, are they the same size as the GBA ones? i dont know... well i just have to say i like the GBA![/COLOR][/quote]

They sell that same add-on for the SP. Plus, I think any good amount of time with the SP in poor lighting conditions would prove that no light add-on for the normal GBA even comes close (not even Afterburner).

And Desbreko, 3rd parties sell cords that let you charge and use headphones at the same time. They're very cheap and work quite well.

[color=indigo]Yeah, I know about those, but the problem is that when you're using a GCN-GBA cable with an SP, the cable plug covers the EXT.2 port. So nothing else can be plugged in while it's linked to a GCN.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=indigo']Yeah, I know about those, but the problem is that when you're using a GCN-GBA cable with an SP, the cable plug covers the EXT.2 port. So nothing else can be plugged in while it's linked to a GCN.[/color][/quote]

I believe there are also 3rd party GCN/GBA cables with power-through ports on them. I swear I've seen them before.

Guest maaadd_hatterr
The day I bought GBA I hated how there was no front light so I had to position it towards the light..it sucked >.< I saw a gba sp for $90 so I got a full refund on the gba THAT DAY and got the gba sp...i only had the gba for 4hours until I changed..lol...trust me you're better off with the gba sp...only thing bad about it is how compact it is...I mean it's good to put in bags but if you have big hands then that might be a problem...but that's only if you have like E.T. hands...

The best Gameboy is the SP. I know because I own all the gameboy series and I really like the sp the best. Mainly because it has it's own built in light and the rechargeable batteries. It really makes things convient when traveling. None of the other gameboys compare.

Also I heard that on the sp they are creating this wireless thing for the new pokemon games and that they are putting movies on the game cartrigies.

[CENTER][COLOR=Red]Thank you for all the replyes and I hope to see more of them! And now I`m wondering....my cousin read the NGC magazine the other day, called me up and told me that they (the Nintendo company) was in progress of making a new Gameboy....called DS or DP or.... something, I`m not sure. It was supposed to have TWO screens...one foldup like on the SP and one where you hold it. My cousin didn`t find out anything more but it seemed to me that it could play both the GBA and the GBSP games. Is there anyone who has heard about this?[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]oh boy here we go again...

yeah ive heard about it! its almost like old news here! :D but just go the the thread called "Nintendo DS" its about 7 pages long, you cant miss it, but i think its on the second page...! if you want to know "anything" about it, it will probably be there!

hope i helped!

oh and its called DS for Duel Screen!

-Peach[/COLOR]