OtakuBoards

Ending that makes you want to strangle the director

Okita

Okay, first off, this is a rant of sort, mainly become I am VERY annoyed after just finish watching Legend of Basara anime.

There will be no spoiler because I won't be talking about the show content, only it's conlcusion, or lack of to be precise

[SIZE=2]WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE SOB?!?!?!?!??![/SIZE]

Why oh why did the company decide to toture us with a half complete show that the don't EVER intend to pick up????

I mean the ending of Basara was just rediculous, they are halfway developing the plot, no resolution is made and suddenly they say Sayonara we decide to make you suffer so *nyah* *nyah* the show is cancel?????

SCREW them! I really wish they get sent letter bombs or something

Now to be fair I understand that their decision is based on profit, director cannot do anything that they are not giving approval off, and the Big Brass needs profit or rating to make a show worthwhile, but that doesn't make me any less pissed.

I've been suckered in for this type of thing before, Kare Kano had the same painful finale as did beserk and Star Ocean.... though the later is not as bad as the the former two or my rant subject.

Juuni Kokki suffer the same problem but at least it when far along the show to have a PROPER ending! ep 39 was good enough a resolution that 40-45 could just as well be consider an OVA and I would love the show just as much

this has to stop! or someday I may really send a letter bomb to companies like NHK...

And now I would also like to plead aid to anyone that suffer through the rant, please please please does anyone know how to get their hand on the Basara comic online? I don't live in the State, I live in hicksville down under (Australia) and no local store has Basara comic, import cost far too much for poor penniless me and if REALLY want to know what happens after episode 13.....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right...

The ending of Van Helsing dissapointed me so much I felt embarassed in the cinema. The film in itself wasn't that great but the ending just destroyed it completely. [spoiler]Faces in the clouds? That was weak. And Frankenstien floats away on a bloody raft... come on...[/spoiler]

The ending of Lord of the Rings was too long. [spoiler]Not really a spoiler methinks, but ah well. I wanted Frodo to die.[/spoiler]

I can't really remember any more.

Shi no Tenshi, please keep in mind that this thread is part of the [i]anime[/i] forum. ;)

I thought Witch Hunter Robin's ending was pretty terrible. After the show's well-executed and highly suspenseful middle arc, I expected it to end with some kind of epic clash (either physical or ideological in nature--R.O.D the TV did not feature a lengthy last battle, but its main characters had so much invested in the outcome of their central conflict that the final episodes felt incredibly exciting and dramatic even without an abundance of action).

So it wasn't the lack of a brutally bloody witch versus witch showdown that upset me... it was the fact that the show's primary villain didn't seem all that cruel or villainous. Moreover, he practically went down without a fight. This, combined with WHR's failure to provide the viewer with a satisfactory amount of closure, just totally ruined my enjoyment of the series. I've been bitching about that ever since WHR completed its first run on Adult Swim. ^_^;

EDIT: Okita, am I correct in assuming you're a fan of Peacemaker Kurogane? :)

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1]Shi no Tenshi, please keep in mind that this thread is part of the [i]anime[/i'] forum. ;)[/quote]

Damn, I never read where people stick these threads. Just pretend they are anime (wouldn't be surprised actually).

The only anime I could really say I didn't like the ending is the one for Angel Sanctuary. It ends at the beggning of the manga, which is dissapointing because it doesn't allow all the characters to make an entrance or for the plot to develope.

I watched the ending of Dragoball GT only a month ago, my brother having the entire GT saga on DVD, and when I seen the ending, I wanted to KILL whoever thought up the idea for the ending of GT! I mean, Goku leaves with Shenron, leaving Vegeta to take care of the planet. But then, it shows many years in the future, and there is Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. COME ON! Who are the parents of these Saiyan proteges? Why don't they continue the series, killing off all the Saiyans at the end, and causing all evil creatures outside of Earth be killed or SOMETHING! :cussing:

Then, there is the Digimon series. I've seen the ending of 1, 3, and 4, but not 2. When Takato finds the entrance to the Digital World at the end of Season 3, they could make a branch series continuing off of that. But the ending of Season 4 really sucked...heck the entire season was thrown off for that matter! The fact that they came up with a new idea for Spirit Evolution instead of the basic Digimon partner was a good idea, but the 10 Legendary Warrior? Where were they in the other series?!

In answer to your question, M_B, the 10 Legenday Warriors weren't in the other series because, if you couldn't guess, Season 4 takes place in a different version of the Digital World, just like Season 3 took place in a different world. Kind of like Final Fantasy. And for the record, I also though that Season 4 had a crappy ending. So did Van Hellsing, like Shi no Tenshi said.

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]

EDIT: Okita, am I correct in assuming you're a fan of Peacemaker Kurogane? :)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Very much so! :) though you would be more correct to say that I am a fan of the Shinsengumi, ever since kenshin (Saito!) I've being a huge fan, and Peacemaker was like a dream come true for me because it IS about the shinsengumi, Mystical mumbo jumbo aside, it actually followed the plot progression of the cannon Shinsengumi, which is to say, character weren't just being BS.

(though their rendition of Okita is somewhat..... er Yoai-fied) The real life Okita would look more like the one in Samurai X, (or Soujiro from Kenshin since the character was based off Okita Souji)

Finally will also like to give Kenshin's ending a complain, since it was utter garbage... I essential ignore everything after the Kyoto arc, and follow the story straight to 2nd OVA, since it was much more fitting an ending that breathtakingly beautiful...

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I thought Witch Hunter Robin's ending was pretty terrible. After the show's well-executed and highly suspenseful middle arc, I expected it to end with some kind of epic clash (either physical or ideological in nature--R.O.D the TV did not feature a lengthy last battle, but its main characters had so much invested in the outcome of their central conflict that the final episodes felt incredibly exciting and dramatic even without an abundance of action).

So it wasn't the lack of a brutally bloody witch versus witch showdown that upset me... it was the fact that the show's primary villain didn't seem all that cruel or villainous. Moreover, he practically went down without a fight. This, combined with WHR's failure to provide the viewer with a satisfactory amount of closure, just totally ruined my enjoyment of the series. I've been bitching about that ever since WHR completed its first run on Adult Swim. ^_^;
~Dagger~[/QUOTE]I couldn't agree more with Dagger, what a lame and slow paced ending to what was designed to be a strong series. For me, I could see the talke-tell signs of suck that permiated the show in serveral places, but it was sitting there atching that last episode roll by where I had more of a desire to talk to my roommate then actually engage this lame-o ending.

I can't recall it perfectly so I won't be able to directly reference the parts I'm referring to, but I am glad to see someone else share my opinion. It wasn't so much as bad or offensive or disgusting, it was just so weak that I couldn't believe. I ranted about that shows lameness for days afterwards (because I thought some thing said in the final episode and discoveries in the storyline near the end really destroyed the 'witch' storyline) and felt bad for my ranting because my roommate was the one that liked the show, not me. But I have to stand by my opinion, it sucked. The series sucked, the ending sucked. If the ends no good, I've honestly got better things to do with my time then watch another bad series, afterall my playing card mansion is on it's 7th garage and my paint drying-watching championship is always in need of defense.

We've seen what a real ending can do to a show. What would Trigun have been with out the final episode and battle between Knives and Vash T.S.? What would the series have ment with the theological and philosophical thoughts the characters had near the end? Cowboy Bebop was strong in every way, and yet it still felt the need to deliver with a strong ending in both action and meaning. Everything is clearer now. Life is just a dream you see, that's never ending...

I thought Grave Of The Fireflies ending wasnt that good. I mean there were [spoiler]plenty of families that died why single one out. It would have been a lot more uplifting if they would have survived.[/spoiler] At the end of that movie all i wanted to do was sleep for like 4 days it got me so depressed.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added [spoiler] tags. be mindful of what you could bge spoiling for other people who've not yet watched it, heh. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[quote name='mr dude guy]I thought Grave Of The Fireflies ending wasnt that good. I mean there were [spoiler]plenty of families that died why single one out. It would have been a lot more uplifting if they would have survived.[/spoiler'] At the end of that movie all i wanted to do was sleep for like 4 days it got me so depressed.[/quote][font=Book Antiqua][color=blue] Well, what you have to understand is that the goal (in my eyes) was to capture one family's suffering, and the viewer would be able to extend that to thousands of other families who experienced similar loss. Haha, I'll admit that some of the "subtle" pokes were clearly biased, which made a some of the movie's time just filler/wasted space. But ignoring that...[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]The end was justified. The story was solid, and it wrapped itself together very nicely. When the little girl makes the reference to the fireflies, [spoiler]it's a reflection[/spoiler] and the movie's title finally makes sense. What happens afterwards is just [spoiler]the dwindling flame of the brother, and when the girl dies, most of that fire is lost[/spoiler].[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]Last, it's not supposed to be [spoiler]uplifting[/spoiler] - at least I didn't think so: simply a historical fiction that makes its mark on the viewer. That's how I felt when I watched the movie, so I would have to disagree that the ending sucked.[/color][/font]

I don't find that Grave of the Fireflies complaint to be very justified. It's impossible to focus on every last family in Japan at that time. Focusing on one adds more humanity to their plight, rather than just a everyone versus everyone else type of story.

Plus it's based on a short story written by the man who experienced it. It wouldn't make sense to take that book and turn it into a general war documentary. I would have been greatly upset if they changed the ending from the book to please the general everyday masses. The film is important and special because it doesn't succumb to that.

The ending of Escaflowne the movie. Tell me that didn't disappoint you. Talk about anticlimatic. Now, I love that movie. I do. I like the series more and the manga (though it differs unbelievably with the anime), but that's aside the point. However, I expected a killer battle between Van and Volken. Or perhaps maybe a battle fo words. [spoiler]But the Lion-man attacks him and doink. He's dead.[/spoiler] WTF?! Also, the very end, while touching, was...well it left me...wanting something more...finishing I guess. Does anyone agree with me? I could be alone in this thought, but really...

[quote name='Sarangeyo]The ending of Escaflowne the movie. Tell me that didn't disappoint you. Talk about anticlimatic. Now, I love that movie. I do. I like the series more and the manga (though it differs unbelievably with the anime), but that's aside the point. However, I expected a killer battle between Van and Volken. Or perhaps maybe a battle fo words. [spoiler]But the Lion-man attacks him and doink. He's dead.[/spoiler'] WTF?! Also, the very end, while touching, was...well it left me...wanting something more...finishing I guess. Does anyone agree with me? I could be alone in this thought, but really...[/quote]

I totally agree on the point about Volken's predicament, the ending just made you want to blink and check if you've accidently skipped a chapter or two, I bought the DVD when it came out as a R1 import which cost a fortune, and was extremely annoyed at the short and VERY anticlimatic ending. The Anime was loads better, the best thing about the movie was the cooler looking escaflawne and the gritty blood transfusion requirement for operating the escaflawne -which seems somehow fitting. (And the very well rendered intro)

The Alternate ending to Neon Genisis Evangelion, as in the film, what the **** was with that, i understand most of the plot with the angel and first impact, second imapct etc but in the film what the hell does the eva-series have to do with Unit 1 having the [spoiler]soul of Shinjis mother and Shinji becoming god due to Units 1s ingestion of an s2 engine i mean, and to add insult to injury what is with Auska having the sami injuries as Rei (in the beginning when u first see Rei she has the Same injuries Auska has after the Eva-SEries tear unit 2 apart) meh[/spoiler]

Overlord_Ray, please add spoiler tags the next time you reveal critical information about an anime's plot. Simply type [*spoiler]text[/spoiler], but be careful to omit the asterisk. Also, I'd like you to start using periods a bit more liberally--as of now your entire post is one enormous run-on sentence. I had a very hard time figuring out what you were trying to say. ^_^;

Now that those minor issues are taken care of, welcome to OtakuBoards. Feel free to PM me or one of the other moderators if you have any questions or concerns. ^_^

~Dagger~

i the ending i hate the most is to cowboy bebop. i mean its good in all but i think the left alot of things unanwsered and the don't tell what happens to the people after the end which really sucks! :flaming:

[quote name='kat4000']i the ending i hate the most is to cowboy bebop. i mean its good in all but i think the left alot of things unanwsered and the don't tell what happens to the people after the end which really sucks! :flaming:[/quote]

I must strongely disagree on that one as I feel Bebop had one of the most conclusive and fulfilling ending in anime bar none, firstly the series is episodic in nature, every character in the show had his or her own life to live and was brough to into the bebop through circumstances and chance, they where partner in venture that exist so long as it suits them.

Thus it makes perfect sense how the ending turn out as it did, each character got his own finale, and each character learn to move on, whether through death, redemption or otherwise, each person was given an ending that fits their character exceptionally.

Spike's conclusion is something that I will always remeber, even up to the last action you see him do before the curtain close, everything about it fit the show and gives a sense of closure.

Guest Nightwing04
Cowboy Bebop's ending was perfect. He said it himself that [spoiler]he was already dead and just holding on, and when Julia died, he had nothing else to hold on to and just gave up on life.[/spoiler]

Now, the ending was the most annoying one was Big O. What in the world was that ending about? I was as confused as taking a Calculus Test.

Well on a quick note since I'm kinda tired there are three anime series endings that come to mind that were terribly disappointing. The first one was Big O Season 2's ending...the last episode literally made no freaking sense to begin with then the ending basically was a hack job done by the writers in which none of the conflicts in that series nor characters had true resolution. A second series/movie, would be the two Evangelion endings, they are quite confusing and the fact that you can interpert the ending in 50 different ways doesn't help much. Lastly, Witch Hunter Robin by far...had such a let down of an ending...it seems like most quaility anime series have the biggest let downs or disappointments for endings.

Oh, I just remember another good example, Nadesico the Movie: Prince of Darkness....a bunch of build up for a big conflict that ended to shortly with no resolution or hope for a follow up....

[quote name='Rikoshi-Sama']Oh, I just remember another good example, Nadesico the Movie: Prince of Darkness....a bunch of build up for a big conflict that ended to shortly with no resolution or hope for a follow up....[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Mmm, I'm indifferent to the Prince of Darkness movie. I didn't think it was bad, I just didn't think it was as good as it could have been, as if it'd been cut off.

What I was most disappointed about was the fact that [spoiler]since Nadesico was such an upbeat series, the movie didn't follow suit. More than anything I'd like to see Akito (one of my favourite characters) back with Yurika again. It puts quite a downer on the series if you know how the movie turns out.[/spoiler] But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of another one with regards to the story (I seriously doubt they will make another one). It wasn't completely [spoiler]depressing- Ruri gave it some hope by saying they'd just have to go after him, and I'm sure that's what they'd do.[/spoiler]

I liked the ending to the Evangelion series, but I hated the movies. If anything, they confused me more than the series did. At least with the original episode 26 I could interpret [spoiler]Shinji breaking free from his fears and paranoia and finally being happy. The End of Evangelion did nothing for me.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][color=#503f86]I liked the ending to the Evangelion series, but I hated the movies. If anything, they confused me more than the series did. At least with the original episode 26 I could interpret [spoiler]Shinji breaking free from his fears and paranoia and finally being happy. The End of Evangelion did nothing for me.[/spoiler'][/color][/quote][font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]I'm with Solo on this one. However, I thought episode 22 and beyond were very weak. Before then, Evangelion really looked like it was going somewhere. Then it comes to a complete halt. Seriously, they didn't even [spoiler]kill Shinji off[/spoiler], the one thing that would have made the series worth watching. They make you so hopeful when they recreate the ending, but it repeats the same mistake.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]The ending is oh-so crucial to the experience and enjoyment of a series. If you build all these "amazing" mysteries and what-have-you, but just shut it down with a weak and ill-concieved "conclusion," it ruins the whole show. No matter how good all the suspense and build was, if it can't land with a boom and just fizzles, everything was for naught. That's what happens with Evangelion.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]Also, the ending of the Escaflowne [b]series [/b]was unexpected and too far-stretched, IMO. It is a wonderful series from the get-go, but after a certain episode late in the series (when [spoiler]Van goes AWOL and Dilandu goes AWOL from Van going AWOL[/spoiler]), it tries to introduce concepts and ideas that are unacceptable in the universe that we were first introduced to. I know that the theme of fate and defying it was always there, but [spoiler]the Fate-Changing machine or whatever it was called[/spoiler] was too out-of-the-ordinary, even for Escaflowne.[/color][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][color=#0000ff]And then everyone's transforming and it gets all lovey-dovey. It's no surprise that 80% of Escaflowne fans were girls.[/color][/font]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Note: I didn't spoiler anything in the following paragraph, but it contains spoilers for Cowboy Bebop. The reason I didn't is because it read like crap. So don't read it if you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop's ending.

Well, I despised the ending to Cowboy Bebop because of the utter lack of relevant character development for Vicious, making me simply not give two craps about his side of anything and simply want my cool Spike to win. [spoiler]And he died. Total bummer.[/spoiler] Not to mention that there was no buildup to the last two episodes at all. If you're gonna [spoiler]off Spike[/spoiler], the only character that makes the show worth watching at all for me, you better do it friggin gloriously, against insane odds or something. Not against Vicious who to me was nothing more than your average generic villain from the hero's past.

The Neon Genesis Evangelion endings sucked. Both of them. The original one just threw away all the OTHER characters you cared about, and concentrated on redeeming Shinji. What a complete lack of story telling finesse. And End of Evangelion, although it provided more closure, was just too random. You can piece together a portion of the overall story, but too many things were left unexplained in the end. Plus there's that infamous opening scene.

[quote name='AzureWolf][font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]However, I thought episode 22 and beyond were very weak. Before then, Evangelion really looked like it was going somewhere. Then it comes to a complete halt. Seriously, they didn't even [spoiler]kill Shinji off[/spoiler], the one thing that would have made the series worth watching. They make you so hopeful when they recreate the ending, but it repeats the same mistake.[/color'][/font][/quote]Your spoiler, had it happened, would've ruined the story outright. The whole time Shinji was looking for a reason to live, a way to redeem himself in his own eyes. That's the whole friggin point of his journey. The need for self-fulfillment is what drives the characters of NGE. And you wanted them to [spoiler]kill Shinji[/spoiler]? What point would that have made?
EDIT: AzureWolf was actually being sarcastic in the sense that Azure just hated Shinji a lot and wanted him to die. Which makes sense.

The ending of Ah My Goddess! The Movie was so pussified it hurt. The goddesses [spoiler]singing the tree back to health[/spoiler] means you can't show this movie to anyone who has any ill feeling toward anime because they will give you crap for it forever. No self-respecting guy should actually [i]like[/i] that ending. Not only is it extremely lame for something as seemingly epic and "big" as what is seemingly happening, but it's just really f-ing corny. At least the song itself was decent.

Then there's Trigun. [spoiler]Killing Wolfwood[/spoiler] was a mistake. I don't care who disagrees. And again, the same problem as with Cowboy Bebop in the sense that there wasn't enough relevant character development for Knives for me to want anything other than a really cool fight and an ultimate arse kicking delivered by Vash. Instead, we get a really really really [i]lame[/i] fight and that's about it.

Then there's the [i]multiple[/i] endings of Love Hina. That show ended four friggin times. Episode 24, Winter Special, Spring Special, Love Hina Again. I love that they basically ignored the previous endings every time, leaving you to doubt Love Hina Again's ending (and perhaps rightfully so, as there are 4 or 5 more volumes of the manga after that). So, again, no closure.

And there's most of the anime I've watched. I've still to finish watching Noir and Full Metal Panic! Why can't people write decent conclusions for this stuff?! Arrgh.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added spoiler tags anyway, despite the fact that pretty much every anime fan has already seen CB (apart from me) -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

1st of i agree w/DaggerIX1 about WHR, that end was so ... .... ........ like there needed to be ONE more episode or OVA just to close it and end it right, but they didnt :o

2nd bebop's end was perfect, just right

3rd i would KILLz :flaming: the director of Evangelion ... wtf was that "congratulations" about, i mean, JEEZZZ, could it have been any more lame of an ending??? they could of put Hamtaro, and still wouldnt have been as lame as it was.

i think that they should have cut the last 3 or whatever, minutes of the last episode and end it right. I swear, that show was butchered by the last ep./

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nightwing04
I agree with Azurewolf. The first half of EVA was tight and unique,but then it went downward after that. Just made me lose interest in it.

The Berserk anime. That doesn't even qualify as an "ending." [spoiler]Everyone you grew to love over the 25 episodes ended up dying a horrible death, or being possessed by evil. Except Guts.[/spoiler] And that was it. It only goes to the 17th volume of the manga. So they just took what happened in that one (or something; I'm only on the second volume--I had to start buying them after I watched the anime), and tried to wrap it all up that way.

But . . . that . . . doesn't work . . . *twitchtwitchnecksnap*

The rest of the anime is awesome, though. Everything about it, basically; the animation, the presentation, and the plot and characters. But if you watch it, you will have to get the manga. There is more story than in the anime. And the manga is presented differently; they completely edited out Puck in the anime.

Which is okay.