OtakuBoards

Ending that makes you want to strangle the director

Okita

[i]I'm with Solo on this one. However, I thought episode 22 and beyond were very weak. Before then, Evangelion really looked like it was going somewhere. Then it comes to a complete halt. [/i]

[b]3rd i would KILLz the director of Evangelion ... wtf was that "congratulations" about, i mean, JEEZZZ, could it have been any more lame of an ending??? they could of put Hamtaro, and still wouldnt have been as lame as it was.[/b]

[color=firebrick] Like it was [b]going[/b] somewhere? Where could it possibly go? It was never about the Evangelions or the Angels or Seele or Nerv...all of those things were like side dishes given to the audience so we would somehow find it appealing. It. Was. About. SHINJI. Did you REALLY want to see some epic battle as the ending for Evangelion? The whole freaking series is devoted to Shinji and his acceptance and reason to even exist. How could fighting some giant angel ever help him ultimately? What are LAME endings? It's when endings don't help the character finally mature and take with him the knowledge of himself and others. Unless you're watching some messed up anime version of Psycho or something. [/color]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kat4000']i the ending i hate the most is to cowboy bebop. i mean its good in all but i think the left alot of things unanwsered and the don't tell what happens to the people after the end which really sucks! :flaming:[/quote]

I totally agree on this one. It left me thinking "Shouldn't there be more? What the heck happened?" of course, then I was yelling: "STAND UP DAMNIT!!!"

[spoiler]I was wonder if he was [I]actually[/I] dead or not! And what happened to Ed? Did she find herself? Did Faye pay all her bills? I mean, come on! Did Jet finally move on?[/spoiler] It felt like a fanfic that forgot it's epilouge!

[QUOTE=Black Moon]I totally agree on this one. It left me thinking "Shouldn't there be more? What the heck happened?" of course, then I was yelling: "STAND UP DAMNIT!!!"

[spoiler]I was wonder if he was [I]actually[/I] dead or not! And what happened to Ed? Did she find herself? Did Faye pay all her bills? I mean, come on! Did Jet finally move on?[/spoiler] It felt like a fanfic that forgot it's epilouge![/QUOTE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue] From this post and others it seems your main complaints are the lack of utter and total resolve...Thats a pretty weak reason to dislike a ending.

Have alittle imagination people huin? Or do you all want everything and anything spelled out in big letters for you...Try to figure it out for yourself hun.

Bebop had a lovely ending that suited the series as a whole very well. I think it was a wonderful caper to a great series. [spoiler] Between julia and spike finally finding each other and being tragically seperated again and the final resolution between vicious wound up things nicely. I knew as soon as julia died spike would too because he wouldnt have been able to go on without her. [/spoiler]

As for evangelion...Theres too much going on there for this one little post to spell out all the things...The long and the short of it being it was always a very internal show about how people felt inside and there own conflicts within themselves.

I think mala said it best...what did you all expect in the end a giant all out slug fest? no...Keeping with the spirit of the show the 2 final episodes where how they should have been. And I dont know how you all can fault the movies...They gave you all your action and such so what more did you want.

I will apologize for my critical tone I just cant believe so many anime fans...Just dont...understand. :sleep: [/COLOR]

if u wanna talk about an ending that makes u wanna strangle the director it has to be Saikano. actually this anime has two endings a happy one and one that makes u want to killl the directer! ok the ending to this anime is so depressing that they even warn you in like the 10th episode that if u like anime series to end happily then stop here and pretend that there are no more episodes....but really any Saikano fan would go on rite...like a warning is gonna stop them. i mean what was teh director thinkin in the end [spoiler] chise kills of the entire world and the only one left is shuji then he has like flashback memories about her or somethin, but the point is hes still alone in the world[/spoiler] ahhhh wat kind of an endin is that!!! :cussing:

i suggest that if ur goin to watch this series that you should watch it with a friend it makes the ending less devistating when u have someone to discuss it with afterwards!! take it from someone who watched it alone... :)

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Welcome to OtakuBoards, vash-san. Please, please watch your spelling. As part of OB's rules, we ask people not to use abbreviations wherever possible. Post quality is very important here. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=indigo]I believe the OAV Reflection of Rurouni Kenshin is got to be the WORST!!! I mean Kenshin is like my fav. anime movie right...but when watching the oav [/color][/font][spoiler]he dies....[/spoiler]WHY!!!? I love the Reflection until the part where [spoiler]they show kenshin dying![/spoiler] it makes me cried so hard that I want to hang the directors' head! My gosh! [spoiler]Why does the ur fav. anime character has to die in front of you?![/spoiler] [color=indigo][font=Franklin Gothic Medium]urgh.... :flaming: .but overall Rurouni Kenshin is still my # 1 anime series....its still the best no matter what! :D [/font][/color]

[color=#4b0082][color=#503f86][size=1][/size][/color][/color]
[color=#4b0082][color=#503f86][size=1][b]Added [spoiler] tags. Please be careful of what plot points you might reveal- RK is a very popular anime series but not everyone's seen all of it yet. -Solo[/size][/color][/b][/color]

[quote name='Animegurl4ever][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=indigo]I believe the OAV Reflection of Rurouni Kenshin is got to be the WORST!!! I mean Kenshin is like my fav. anime movie right...but when watching the oav [/color][/font][spoiler]he dies....[/spoiler]WHY!!!? I love the Reflection until the part where [spoiler]they show kenshin dying![/spoiler] it makes me cried so hard that I want to hang the directors' head! My gosh! [spoiler]Why does the ur fav. anime character has to die in front of you?![/spoiler] [color=indigo][font=Franklin Gothic Medium]urgh.... :flaming: .but overall Rurouni Kenshin is still my # 1 anime series....its still the best no matter what! :D [/font'][/color][/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]Kenshin [spoiler]dies because he caught a disease by one of his enemies.[/spoiler] I can't remember which one though. It's been so long.

I was upset with the ending of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and I! My! Me! Strawberry Eggs. They made me frustrated.

I mean, come on! In Strawberry Eggs, [spoiler]The main character left the school...right when he could keep his job as PE teacher. heh[/spoiler]
[/COLOR]

I like to consider myself to be somewhat manly, so any ending that uses the power of love or friendship makes me curse at the TV. i really do not understand why anime creators have to do that, to teach us aboud friendship. If i wanted that i would just watch Sesamie Street or something. The ultimate insult to me was the ending for the first Pokemon movie i saw when i was 11. It actually made me hate pokemon from that moment on.

I do like the cowboy bebop ending because even though [spoiler]Spike bites the dust, he bites it alone and like a man.[/spoiler]

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added [spoiler] tags. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

You seem awfully concerned about manliness, there. Sometimes wrapping things up and seeing one's own characters at peace is more important to a creator than whether or not they went out with a bang.

you must be a girl, because there is no guy that would rather watch a hero vanquish the villian with love and friendship, over a huge display of action. Besides [spoiler]spike seemed peaceful to me when he died[/spoiler]

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added spoiler tags, again. Please take note of them, because you could unintentionally ruin a series for someone. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Okay first Davethestampede i don't mean to overstep my bound but try to use spoiler tag when you're virtually giving away the ending to a series.

Japan_86: Kenshin did not [spoiler] catch the disease from an enemy, he caught it while trying to heal and look after the sickly which were shun at the time.[/spoiler] I know many people hated the ending but I for one appreciated it for what it was.

Not that the 2nd OVA follow the style of the first and is thus a tragedy, despite the named romance in the first OVA, you must first understand that a typical japanese classic romantic literature does not end with 'and then they live happily ever after' but rather 'and then they both commited lover suicide' - the end.

So following this guidleline and conisdering that both ova are actually romantic centric (and not action centric like the anime) you then realize that the style and finale is quite appropriate in term that it is sad and noble etc etc.

Finally,Rurouni Kenshin was never about what one man can do to change history, the story is about a killer's path to redemption, and what being a swordsman truly means.

Refer to something in the chinese movie 'hero' and one will realize that Kenshin follow the development of a true swordsmen without fault. In the original OVA, he fights with the justification of the sword, in the series he allows his heart to wield the sword and in the OVA2 [spoiler] he requires no sword at all by in a peace with the world around him. [/spoiler]

Haha! Well, Dave, I'm guessing that you must be a disgruntled adolescent boy with no real grasp on artist conception or the attachment to creative products. Perhaps men with your kind of manliness prefer to watch an action-packed finish, but oftentimes, that sort of thing does not resolve the conflicts formed during the realization of the plot. Try not to make such all-encompassing comments about things that usually have many and obvious exceptions.

I hate Sailor Moon, and have never watched the entire show, so I have no opinion on the ending. Stop assuming all things are one way. Just because you think I'm a girl doesn't mean I am one, and just because I might be doesn't mean I like Sailor Moon. I'm sure that plenty of 11 year old boys were quite satisfied with the ending to the Pokémon movie. If you weren't, then that's your opinion and I'd suggest being more sensitive to those of other people. Sounds like somebody needs to be taught some lessons about making friends . . . .

Anywho.

I saw the entire anime of Gravitation by way of fansub, and I might just not have picked up on things, but there are still a few things I've got questions about. [spoiler]What relationship does Tohma actually have with Yuki? I mean, I got the whole married-to-Mika thing and all that, but it seems to me like there might have been something more there.[/spoiler] This might just be because I'm reading the manga during and after the anime, but the manga hints at stuff that might have happened in their past . . . it even uses the new Bad Luck keyboard player (I forget his name) to do it. [spoiler]He says something about having the same taste in men as his cousin, Tohma . . . .[/spoiler]

But the only anime I've seen that has had an ending that really bothered me was Berserk. I don't even count the BlackJack movie, because I just found myself glad that it was over when it ended.

Hey, i said insulting to me, not insulting to the male or female community. Why are you picking on me anyway? Isn't this what the forum is for, talking about bad endings? I thought those endings were bad and you tear into me about how masochistic i may be. Ok fine, i dont represent the entire male community and i became too overzealous in thinking i did. I apologise for seeming like a jerk to you and the female community

[color=#503f86]Please stop arguing. It's pointless and against the site Rules- any further arguments could result in a formal warning. Speaking of which; please watch the length and quality of some of your posts, Dave- a few are borderline spam and I've been close to deleting them.[/color]

[quote name='oshi][spoiler']What relationship does Tohma actually have with Yuki? I mean, I got the whole married-to-Mika thing and all that, but it seems to me like there might have been something more there.[/spoiler][/quote]

At one point during the anime, Tohma says quite seriously that Eiri [spoiler]is the person who he loves best in all the world. I believe this takes place right before he pushes Taki in front of a car, heh.[/spoiler] So like everything else, they toned it down a little for the anime, but the basic intent is still pretty clear. Poor Mika... ^_^;;

~Dagger~

I've noticed that they toned everything down in the anime. Sick, twisted individual that I am, I suppose I prefer the manga. [spoiler]Maki Murakami's unfiltered mind is much more interesting to me than the anime director's representation of their "first time together" . . . . I wouldn't have minded them showing a little more of that . . . . :D[/spoiler]

But I did buy the first DVD and Gravi box, out of this sickness that is my addiction . . . . And I got a neato "backstage pass." :)

• 3 weeks later...
Neon Genesis Evangelion...

It had five endings and they have all sucked so far...

Series Ending: They said the company was going bankrupted at the time so it was understandable but not forgivable.

Movie 1 Death and Rebirth: They said the company was going bankrupted at the time so it was understandbale but not forgivable.

Sega Video Game: Sadly probably the best ending(s) to date for Eva... how sad.

Movie 2 End of Evangelion: Was good until it pulled a 360 and went for the whole mind ***** angle. Even the creators admitted it had no direction and that they were just making it wierd for the sake of being wierd. Oh well at least it was still better than series' and first movie's endings.

Completion of Evangelion: The sequal spin-off series designed solely to pick up where the original series went bad... Haven't seen the ending so I can't say yet what value this one has.

Oh well as long as we keep releasing newer and better platinum and collector editions of the series, who cares how bad the ending sucks. Look out kiddies here comes the new ultra dynamo platinum collector boxset with actual Angel DNA enclosed in each case!

[color=firebrick] Death and Rebirth wasn't even an ending, it was a recap of the 24 episodes, lol. A lot of people like EoE, maybe you don't like Evangelion in general.

Hideaki Anno's [b]Gunbuster[/b] had a similar ending to Evangelion, and fans' accusements of GAINAX having put together the ending in a short period of time in general annoy me. Anno was actually clinically depressed during the time, and everyone should also keep in mind that there is a huge chance that he meant it to be that way. Of course GAINAX was running low on money because of the infamous two chicks in an elevator scene and the Shinji/Kaworu scene, but you can even use those as an example of how wonderful Eva is put together. I don't get what fans wanted. What the crap did you expect from Evangelion anyway? It's not like it was being psychological in the first place just for fun.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
The ending of Zoids New Century was incomplete. I don't know if they made a third season, but, the first two seasons ending was to blunt. I wnat to see this special prize. I hope that wasn't a spoiler. It would be so cool to see Bit and Lina and Brad fight more competitors. Oops. Forgot Jamie. Oh well. So can someone please tell me if they made a third season or was the ending just completely useless???

Actually, I wouldn't want to see Trigun or Cowboy Bebop with a 2nd season. I thought both endings to each series were awesome.

Now, one series I'd want a 2nd season to (or have them re-make) is Hellsing. I'm a huge fan of Hellsing, however, I felt it was too rushed and there wasn't enough character development. Also, after I read the manga, I felt cheated. Oo;;; The manga is much more entertaining and reveals more of the characters. And, the villains in the manga are much more cooler than Incognito. Incognito is such a lame-arse. -_-;

It's funny, I liked Gunbuster all the way through,and Eva too but then it got to the movie which just totally repulsed me from Shinji when the original ending it looked like he was turning into a person I could like. I mean what kind if person does that while the girl is in the room!? :flaming: Hate, hate, hate, hate, hated it! :flaming:

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]I would love to strangle Shuko Murase, director of Witch Hunter Robin because I felt that the end was a little rushed.

To me, this series was very slow in the way the plot developed and when it came to en it all, it almost felt as if the director didn't realized it was time to finish the series and rushed things at the end. I've been following the series since it was released, but I felt a little dissappointed with the ending.

I love series that take the time to let you know what is all about and leave you with the expectation of what will happen next. Every time I saw a new episode, I was desperate to see what will it be next. That ending was just too rushed for the way things where still happening at the near end.

But that's just me I guess...

---Ani_Freak---[/COLOR]

Guest ShinobiRyu
As you have said earlier, I had problems with the end of Escaflowne (series and movie) but also Fruits Basket! It just....stopped....I mean, there could have been -so- much more to the series. It pissed me off so bad... :flaming: