Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[color=darkred][size=1]I was just wondering what you guys thought about Kevin Smith's announcement that he was now writing a sequel to the classic film "Clerks", tentatively titled "The Passion Of The Clerks".

Personally, I have mixed feelings. Smith is a great writer, and I enjoyed the first movie (which I finally saw about a month ago...yeah, I'm late, so sue me), but honestly, do we need a sequel? And will Smith keep the style of the first film intact? Or will he ditch it to for the more traditional styles of his later films in the series?

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one...what do you guys think?

--Chris[/color][/size]
Posted
I liked clerks, I think it is one of Kevin Smith's better movies. However, it does not need a sequel, it is fine where it is, a cult classic. I dont like the idea, I will see the movie, and I dont doubt it will be funny, but the "series", which it now is, should be left alone.
Posted
I'm guessing that he's trying to regain his credibility to the people who loved clerks/mallrats and such. He got popular for his weird 20's age characters in Clerks and Mallrats (great movies) and then started to descend into more dramatic movies rather than comedies. Maybe it will get people to start going to his movies again after Jersey Girl.

Personally I would have been happier if the cartoon series came back instead of the weird sequel, but it might just be really funny and regain our faith in K. Smith's movies.
Posted
Personally, I thought Clerks was a great movie and the series was pretty funny. Then again, I saw the movie Jersey Girl and lost faith in Kevin Smith. So I'll be a little skeptical about this next movie. Hope he get his comedic touch back...that he lost ever so long ago! :D
Posted
I read about this somewhere recently, supposedly Smith is setting the movie ten years after the first one, and instead of the common d*ck and fart jokes the first delivered, this next one is suppoesed to be a bit smarter, and more adultish.

I don't know, I'm guessing that this movie is an appology to the fans for Jersey Girl, but I think he could think over the title a bit more.

Over all I think it's a wait and see.
Posted
Eh, even if it turns out to suck he could always say "This movie isn't for critics!" in some lame attempt to save his ego.

I am interested in it though. That 3 Disc Clerks set comes out soon too, I think.
Posted
Sad to admit, I've never seen the original Clerks (or Chasimg Amy, for that matter). I own the animated series DVD, but I've yet to see the actual movie. This upcoming sequel would probably give me a good enough excuse to get off of my rear and rent/buy the first film.
Posted
I bought Clerks X on Tuesday. I'm a huge fan of the origional film, along with all the rest of Kevin Smiths films (excluding Jersey Girl :mad: ) I think that the movie will most likely just be a continuation of the View Askieniverse that he has already going on. If you really think about it every movie Smith makes is sort of a sequal to the previous. A big part of clerks is the girl who died in the pool (number 6 of the allustrious 12.) and also you find out what actually happened in Mallrats. In chasing Amy they make mention of the person who had sex with the dead girl in the bathroom (Katlein) and you meet Allysa Jones(Chasing Amy) Sister in clerks. There are countless examples of things like this. Personally I don't think that Kevin smith will lose any of the style. The whole black and white thing was just to save money on lighting, so if he decides to do it full color now it would be fine. Besides the cartoon is in color. The short "Flying Car" is in color and the quick stop scene in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" is also in color. It just wouldn't make sense to film it black and white. Yes it will be 10 years later. I only hope that Lando is in it!
Posted
[color=darkred][size=1]Rawr, I just spent the week indulging myself in View Askewniverse-ism. Caught Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back. I've seen bits and pieces of Dogma, so I decided to nix that one.

The continuity stuns me. Smith is very thoughtful, and I cannot wait to see how Smith ties the previous films into Passion Of The Clerks.

--Chris[/color][/size]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...