OtakuBoards

Gothic Music

Meggido

I've recently become acquainted with what some people call Gothic Music and I think its awesome. Bands that I have heard are Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Therion and After Forever. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other good Gothic bands I should look up.

Wow, goth music? I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but i think "gothic" music can be found in several genres of metal. Now, I know nobody who is gothic, but those bands that you mentioned, Meggido, are awesome. I've listened to nightwish's stuff and I guess thats the most gothic stuff I've heard. (?) Sounds like you might really appriciate metal. Evanescence, Otep, Tool (which in my opinion is the best rock music in a really long time, though not everyone likes them) , Slipknot, and maybe Korn if you like Cradle of filth (which is beyond troubled) . Not all of those are technically metal, but i like 'em all too, so might be companion genres or somthing like that. Theres really a lot of stuff you could look into, so google it! or um... you know, don't. Sorry, I'll stop now.

[color=crimson][size=1] Good goth metal? Cradle of Filth, absolute first choice in this genre. Though my personal favorite album out of their like 20 releases would have to be Vempire, but I suggest picking up Lovecraft & Witch Hearts, it showcases their music throughout their career. Except for there latest two releases, Damnation and A Day and Nymphetamine. As for recommendations for other good gothic metal bands, try out these.

Entwine
To/Die/For
Lullacry
Charon
Moonspell (Newer stuff for these guys, older stuff was considered Black Metal. My absolute favorite band in this genre)
Paradise Lost (Check out their Symbol of Life Album, their older stuff I don't think you would enjoy as much.)
Type O Negative
Chalice
Darkwell
Devil doll
Trail of Tears
Old Theatre of Tragedy
From Autumn to Ashes
Leave's Eye
Penumbra

That should keep you plenty busy for awhile, have fun with that list. there are some pretty good bands out there as well that I fail to remember right now[/color][/size]

[color=crimson][size=1]I don't want to sound rude or get into a debate of any sort, but the people who said Slipknot.. They aren't gothic, they never were and never. will be. Neither are Shadows Fall, Mastadon, Caol Chamber, Kittie, Otep, Evanesence, Korn or Tool. I don't mean to sound like an elitist either, but go and do some research honestly, you'll find out some very neat things about what "Gothic Metal" is and isn't.[/color][/size]

I understand that Evanescence isn't Goth metal but there is also such thing as Goth rock which they are. I just purchased the CD Comalies by Lacuna Coil and am absolutely loving it. I'm annoyed because I'm unable to get After Forever in Australia. Other bands my friend has told me about are Epica, Disturbed and Within Temptation.

Evanescence isn't goth rock, The Sisters of Mercy is goth rock. I don't want to be considered an elitist or anything similar but it's really very hard to find any decent new goth bands, it pretty much went the way of punk. I don't mean to say that anything now sucks, it just isn't gothic music. And Slipknot, come on now people...

some bands that have influnced me are:

cradle of filth ( there british *yay* and they've been following in venoms blueprintand added melody and i have there new album nymephetamine)

dimmu borigir(norways answer to cradle)

dark throne (they've been around since 1986 and have a raw black metal sound)

anal c**t (cool name quite heavy as well )

bestial mockery (heavy as f**k, makes most of the previous bands i've said sound like cliff richards)

venom (they invented black metal and there british )

emperor & immortal (two of the greatest black metal bands EVER too bad there now desfuct)

cannibal corpse (new york death metal veterins)

deicide (with a name that means "the killing of god" and a frontman that branded an inverted cross into his fore-head, you can understand that these guys are really intense)

[quote name='anatema']Evanescence isn't goth rock, The Sisters of Mercy is goth rock.[/quote]
[color=crimson][size=1]Yes, I see you got that first, I was going to mention that along with stuff like The Cure. Evanesence is not Gothic Rock[/color][/size]
[quote name='anatema']I don't want to be considered an elitist or anything similar but it's really very hard to find any decent new goth bands, it pretty much went the way of punk.[/quote]
[color=crimson][size=1]Well if you are happening to look for some good goth bands, I do suggest the ones I mentioned to you as well. They are really worth checking out.

Oh and Morbid Angel666 I really like the bands you listed there, awesome stuff. But they aren't gothic in any one way either. [/color][/size]

• 3 weeks later...
there is a diference between gothic music,black metal and death metal. I personally like black metal better but death metal has some really good bands:lamb of god and deicide are death metal black metal has behemoth,old man's child,dimmu borgir,cradle of filth and satyricon lots of more good black metal bands out there but gothic music has nothing to do with metal it is just made for the image of goths i dont like gothic music because its a mix of lots of music together. they may look cool but looks can be deceiving.

[quote name='Shugo54']there is a diference between gothic music,black metal and death metal. I personally like black metal better but death metal has some really good bands:lamb of god and deicide are death metal black metal has behemoth,old man's child,dimmu borgir,cradle of filth and satyricon lots of more good black metal bands out there but gothic music has nothing to do with metal it is just made for the image of goths i dont like gothic music because its a mix of lots of music together. they may look cool but looks can be deceiving.[/quote]

[color=crimson][size=1]Actually I have to disagree with you, Gothic Metal, isn't called gothic to appeal to what your definition of "Goths" are. (I know plenty of people who listen to this music, and aren't "Goth". As most would know them) it just has a different structure and set up then other genres. (As does every other metal genre. It has a different structure and setup then the one beforehand.) But it has the sound that any other metal band around would produce. Listen to Moonspell, and tell me that, that isn't metal let alone gothic metal. Gothic Music, or more so "Gothic Rock" though is something completely different and bands that would fit that category, would be the likes of "The Cure", "Sisters of Mercy", ?Bauhuas? and "Souixsee and the Banshees" to name a few.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]H-I-M?

I can't see how you could call H-I-M a Goth band for they call themselves something completley different. And that title is the name of there 2nd Newest album.

Love Metal.

They have some thrash in there, but they aren't 'goth', just because they were black stereotypes them into the goth category. FATA are a goth band, listen to both bands and you'll hear that difference, especially in HIM's older stuff.

Your Sweet Six Six Six, Resurrection, Pretending, and other songs ceertainly portray a different theme than Gothic. So I am hoping you can take the comment back about HIM because i'm sure thats something that would offend Ville Valo.

Even look at the album Love Metal, with songs named The Sacrament (great song), Sweet Pandemonium and Buried Alive By Love, all are showing something about [B]Heartache[/B].

So Love Metal is your category for HIM, not 'Goth'.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest lavalamp
My favorite gothic band is Avril Lavigne. I love how much of an elegant gothic chick she is in her latest video, [i]Nobody's Home[/i]. Ashlee Simpson is also another good dark gothic band. In [i]Shadow[/i](very gothic name), she throws her Fruit Loops because she's possessed by Satan.

They're both the best gothic bands around.

[QUOTE=lava lamp]My favorite gothic band is Avril Lavigne. I love how much of an elegant gothic chick she is in her latest video, [i]Nobody's Home[/i]. Ashlee Simpson is also another good dark gothic band. In [i]Shadow[/i](very gothic name), she throws her Fruit Loops because she's possessed by Satan.

They're both the best gothic bands around.[/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]I don't know if I should laugh at that, though it's pretty funny.. Or just shake my head in utter disgust, despite it being sarcasm.

Oh, and I think I want to state for the record, I don't enjoy labels, genres, at all. But I use them to categorize my music, because it does help to explain what a certain type of music sounds like. It's just much easier to catagorzie it and find more bands that are offering the same type of sound. As long as you don't get the mainstream ideas mixed up with what the music actually is then it usually works out pretty well.
[/color][/size]

Sometimes people classify bands differently than what the band would classify themselves. For example people classify Cradle Of Filth as Goth Metal, but I recently raed in two magazines that they do not classify themselves as Goth metal or Black metal as it is also known, but rather think of themselves as an extreme heavy metal. They say the only reason they are classified as Goth is because of the makeup.

Yeah, I don't know why people think that Evanescence is a goth band. I see nothing gothic about them. Now I listen to a few gothic bands, and I'll just list all the bands I can find in the genre so you can just refer to my list, here it is:
:devil:
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth
Sisters of Mercy
Venom
Cannibal Corpse
After Dark
Airborne
Angel Witch
Old Man's Child
Kitty
Lepra
Death
Adversary
Abruptum
Disfear
Molested
Drogheda
:devil:

There's a small list. Now here's a link to a good site to go to if you want an alphabetical listing of the bands: [URL=http://www.anus.com/metal/about/alphabetical.html]CLICK HERE[/URL]

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
:flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

[color=crimson][size=1]MysticKnight, those bands aren't gothic, nor is the site you gave listings for to put it blantly. Though that site has a lot of really good black and death metal bands listed. (I Would Know, I used it for a long time until I came across a better one. Though I love the History of Metal Essay they have on it. It was really informative.) Anyways the bands you listed there are black and death metal except for a few like Kitty. I seriously do know what I'm talking about when it comes to this music. I really think if anyone want's a good list check mine out on the first page of this topic.[/color][/size]

• 3 weeks later...
Many people view Evanescence as a gothic band because Amy Lee, their lead singer for all of you uninformed people out there, tends to borrow fashion ideas from the gothic subculture.

Personally, I think the way she dresses is totally wonderful. Corsets and the like, just totally awesome. I've even heard that she makes her own clothes. But how the band looks does not determine what genre of music a band goes under.

But yeah, Evanescence is not a goth band, eventhough Amy Lee looks like a goth.

I know absolutely nothing about black nor goth metal, I can't tell the difference between the two very well or even name several bands in the genres. However, I know alot of gothic rock like Bauhaus, Joy Division and Siouxsie and the Banshees. (Which, in my opnion, are some of the *best* bands out there.)

Oh yes, Lava Lamp, wonderful sarcasm.

[color=crimson]I better hide the fact I'm an elitist. *shuffling noises are heard*

For the record, I don't listen to much Goth Metal. I do have [i]Damnation and a Day[/i] collecting dust on a bookshelf somewhere- most of the time I listen to it for it's classical tracks, lol. I wasn't really aware the Lacuna Coil MP3s I have were Goth-anything, either. I must be really out of touch with the genres bands are being shuffled into- I usually tread all genres of metal/rock, picking and choosing what I enjoy. I rarely like whole genres of music- in these lists alone, I know I hate Cannibal Corpse [like being stabbed with a fork in the ear], From Autumn to Ashes [I thought they were nu-metal crap until a few moments ago] and Dimmu Borgir [I liked one song on their CD, the rest was bland]. Type O Negative, Cradle of Filth, Moonspell and Charon are good, though. However, Slipknot and Evanescence are bane on music. If you listen to them, you are tainted and must be purged by way of swordfight, strangulation or immolation by flamethrower. Choose carefully.[/color]

I recently obtained the Resident Evil Apocalypse soundtrack. Now I suggest anyone who is a fan of Gothic music should buy this. It has some great cothic music such as:
Cradle Of Filth
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
CKY
The Cure
Rammstein
and many others.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to it and I'm sure many other goth fans would as well.

Oh my god....Ashlee and Avril are like Brittany Spears with a few studded belts on hand...they are the polar opposites of "gothic". Alot of people classify Avril as "punk" but she doesn't even fit into that genre. Ashlee isn't even a poser (as Avril is). I don't think she even is trying to be "punk" or "goth". I think she is a BrittanyClone with black hair. I am in tears of laughter after that very humorous comment that you made, Lava Lamp. Thank you for making me laugh, you made my day. By the way, I love The Cure and Nirvana (which is more grunge, I know).

[size=1]Most people have really gotten to this point already, but there is a drastic difference between "goth rock" and "death metal," which seem to be the two confused genres here. Hell, there is a very bold line between "goth" and "metal."

Goth is actually an extremely tame area of music. If you listen to any of those bands mentioned before (Souxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, the Cure, Sisters of Mercy), the most commonly noted bands of the genre, you will find they sound nothing like any of the bands listed before. Goth was an offshoot of the punk culture way back when, and died just the same.

Now all this death metal, etc. (way too many subgenres I care to even mention) is hardly on the same spectrum as goth. They do not even carry the same core values and principles of their music. The main reason there is even a blend is because of stereotyping. Traits the goth culture had appear in metal bands, and suddenly they are goth.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."[/size]