Her Black Wings Posted November 17, 2004 Posted November 17, 2004 [size=1]Alright, to save some people time from declaring that none of the following bands are 'Goth Metal', I don't know if they are or aren't, excuse my ignorance but metal is metal. [u]To Listen to:[/u] Bile Nile Bleeding Through DevilDriver Fear Factory Unearth Moonspell Dimmu Borgir Throwdown Cannibal Corpse Murderdolls Anthrax Atreyu Godhead Lamb of God Slayer Killswitch Engage Kittie Nevermore Megadeath Dream Theatre Behemoth Children Of Bodom Enjoy.[/size]
James P. Galvatron Posted November 18, 2004 Posted November 18, 2004 By looking at this thread I have learned alot of new things about Goth music and some bands, but one thing no one has explained is the diffrence between Gothic Music, Black Metal, Death Metal, and isn't Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne considered one of those.
Meggido Posted November 20, 2004 Author Posted November 20, 2004 [quote name='Inuyasha7271']By looking at this thread I have learned alot of new things about Goth music and some bands, but one thing no one has explained is the diffrence between Gothic Music, Black Metal, Death Metal, and isn't Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne considered one of those.[/quote] I don't know about the exact definitions for the groupings and I'm not sure where Black Sabbath would be classified, But I remember hearing that Ozzy Osbourne is classified as Black Metal. I hope that helps.
PiroMunkie Posted November 20, 2004 Posted November 20, 2004 [quote name='Inuyasha7271']By looking at this thread I have learned alot of new things about Goth music and some bands, but one thing no one has explained is the diffrence between Gothic Music, Black Metal, Death Metal, and isn't Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne considered one of those.[/quote][size=1]I could have sworn I at least touched on the difference, but the main way to find out is to just listen to it yourself. As I said, the Goth culture was a mellower offshoot of the punk movement back in the '60s and '70s. It originally had nothing to do with metal, at any rate. Seriously, just download some Bauhaus or Souxsie and the Banshees, listen to it, and then download some Nile or any of the other bands people have generally been mentioning. There is a vast difference. The term "goth" can really be applied to any kind of music. Like "Goth metal" can easily exist. You just have to remember that if it really is "Goth," then the bands and music must reflect the values and general way of being of that culture. So, in theory, some of the bands others are listing could be considered "Goth," but generally there is a mass misconception of the culture, and so the title is usually applied where it should not be.[/size]
Meggido Posted November 21, 2004 Author Posted November 21, 2004 [QUOTE=PiroMunkie][size=1]I could have sworn I at least touched on the difference, but the main way to find out is to just listen to it yourself. As I said, the Goth culture was a mellower offshoot of the punk movement back in the '60s and '70s. It originally had nothing to do with metal, at any rate. Seriously, just download some Bauhaus or Souxsie and the Banshees, listen to it, and then download some Nile or any of the other bands people have generally been mentioning. There is a vast difference. The term "goth" can really be applied to any kind of music. Like "Goth metal" can easily exist. You just have to remember that if it really is "Goth," then the bands and music must reflect the values and general way of being of that culture. So, in theory, some of the bands others are listing could be considered "Goth," but generally there is a mass misconception of the culture, and so the title is usually applied where it should not be.[/size][/QUOTE] The problem with today's society is that there always seems to be a mass misconception of some kind. Now it is understandable how in can appear in music as a band might sound like one style of music but are really from another genre. It also happens when people are classifying people. someone might be dressed in punk style clothes but because the colour is all black they might be mistaken for being gothic. It seems to happen all the time.
Genkai Posted November 28, 2004 Posted November 28, 2004 I'm stunned. From what I've read, many people are confused about what goth rock is. I unerstand that Metal is listened to by many goths, but Goth Rock is something completely different. I don't listen to it, nor do I really like it. But as a music fan, I'm shocked that people who [I]are[/I] into "goth rock" don't even know what it is! There are a few bands you cannot say goth rock and not think of, and any music lover will tell you this, and they are Sisters Of Mercy (which I read people saying), Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie Sioux and The Banshees (I read a few posts that mentioned them) and Bauhaus (maybe one person mentioned them).
kalter kuss Posted November 28, 2004 Posted November 28, 2004 [SIZE=1]I'll just give a list of some bands I know are goth. I personally don't consider Cradle of Filth Goth Souxsie and the Banshees Bauhaus the Cure Sisters of Mercy Black Tape for a Blue Girl Dead Can Dance Danse Macabre Chalice Seraphim Shock Bella Morte Gangrel Behind the Curtain Blood Vial Ensoph the 69 eyes Dying Tears Godsend Greyswan and that's all that comes to mind at the moment, but a place that has goth/goth metal bands. [url]http://www.evils-darkland.de/gothic.htm[/url][/size]
Meggido Posted November 28, 2004 Author Posted November 28, 2004 Well because this thread is likely to continue to go nowhere and just repeat the same thing over and over. I'll say thankyou to all those people who have recommended Gothic bands. I'll try and listen to the ones that are available in Australia.
Guest hellfire Posted December 8, 2004 Posted December 8, 2004 Im Sorry But This Has Nothing To Do With Music But Im Really Starting To Hate People Who I Wanna Be Loser Actting Goth This Girl I My Class Started To Wear Black And She Stared Actting All Dark And Crap And I Went Oer To Her And Asked Her What Cd She Has She Had F**king Rap And Then The Next Day I Heard She Was Actting That Why Cause She Thought That The Way You Act When Someone Hurts You I Told My Friend That You Have To Listen To The Music You Have To Have A Reason But Just Cause Your Boyfriend Broke Up With You Is No Reason
DarkOtakuBoy Posted December 15, 2004 Posted December 15, 2004 Without getting into the long debated issue into what is and what is not goth, I will just say that my favorite gothic music is def. Type O Negative. Esp. the October Rust album, which is just pure magic. The whole album has this atmosphere that cant be described into words. Wolf Moon, Red Water, and Love You To Death will send chills down the spines of most people who are into that music. ^_^ Otaku Boy
Guest Queen_of_Hell Posted March 13, 2005 Posted March 13, 2005 listen to Dargaard,if you haven't yet.They are the realiest gothic band,I think
fynessajynx Posted March 16, 2005 Posted March 16, 2005 if you like nightwish, I just say you will probably like within temptation :) (is at least worth checking out) the songs I've heard of "H I M" are really nice also, in that same kind of sound.
Rhym Posted March 17, 2005 Posted March 17, 2005 [FONT=Times New Roman]Ah, Nightwish has been mentioned again! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but [i]Nightwish isn't goth.[/i] It seems like people have just been subtly slipping it in there and no one has noticed so far. Personally, I love Nightwish. They are one of my favorite bands, but [i]they aren't goth.[/i] They are [i]symphonic metal.[/i] There is a large difference. I only dabble in metal, I suppose. My interest is limited to the subgenres of epic/symphonic metal, like Nightwish, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, and, to some extent, Dimmu Borgir (listen to Death Cult Armageddon and you'll know what I mean), and melodic death metal, like Children of Bodom, In Flames, and Imperanon. I can listen to Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, but really the whole trollish screeching style of vocals doesn't do it for me. So, from a potentially mistaken metal n00b, Nightwish isn't goth metal (whatever that may be). It's awesome, and I recommend you get all of their albums (except maybe Angels Fall First, which kinda sucks), but it isn't goth.[/FONT]
Fall Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 Just my thought here, I think Cradle of Filth are absolute ****. Moonspell, Type O Negative, To/Die/For. That's what you call good music, whether you want to categorize them as "gothic" or not.
kaisha Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 I like gothic music, its good, but I'm still more of a hard rock fan. I like papa roach, linkin park, HIM, mudvayne, future leaders of the world..etc. I still consider myself goth though.
Guest BelaLugosisDead Posted March 23, 2005 Posted March 23, 2005 Oh my God, what's wrong with you people? Have you never heard of Gothic music? Because what you're listening is nowhere near it. Here, instead of complaining, I'll be generous enough to give you some Gothic bands. Sisters Of Mercy Bauhaus Christian Death London After Midnight Switchblade Symphony Dead Can Dance Heliumvola Black Tape For A Blue Girl Audra Voltaire Cruxshadows VNV Nation Diamanda Galas Swans Joy Division The Legendary Pink Dots Alien Sex Fiend Siouxsie And The Banshees Collide Assemblege 23 Pitbull Daycare In The Nursery The Winter Chapter Bella Morte L'amme Immotelle Love Is Colder Than Death Love Spirals Downwards Now, promise me you'll at least check out one of these bands, and STOP CALLING BANDS THAT ARE NOT GOTHIC GOTHIC. Thank you.
Guest BelaLugosisDead Posted March 23, 2005 Posted March 23, 2005 [QUOTE=Rhym][FONT=Times New Roman]Ah, Nightwish has been mentioned again! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but [i]Nightwish isn't goth.[/i] It seems like people have just been subtly slipping it in there and no one has noticed so far. Personally, I love Nightwish. They are one of my favorite bands, but [i]they aren't goth.[/i] They are [i]symphonic metal.[/i] There is a large difference. I only dabble in metal, I suppose. My interest is limited to the subgenres of epic/symphonic metal, like Nightwish, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, and, to some extent, Dimmu Borgir (listen to Death Cult Armageddon and you'll know what I mean), and melodic death metal, like Children of Bodom, In Flames, and Imperanon. I can listen to Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, but really the whole trollish screeching style of vocals doesn't do it for me. So, from a potentially mistaken metal n00b, Nightwish isn't goth metal (whatever that may be). It's awesome, and I recommend you get all of their albums (except maybe Angels Fall First, which kinda sucks), but it isn't goth.[/FONT][/QUOTE] Ah, you're just like me.
Guest BelaLugosisDead Posted March 23, 2005 Posted March 23, 2005 [QUOTE=DarkOtakuBoy]Without getting into the long debated issue into what is and what is not goth, I will just say that my favorite gothic music is def. Type O Negative. Esp. the October Rust album, which is just pure magic. The whole album has this atmosphere that cant be described into words. Wolf Moon, Red Water, and Love You To Death will send chills down the spines of most people who are into that music. ^_^ Otaku Boy[/QUOTE] -____- Type O Negative is not Gothic, it's Industrial. There's a difference, kiddo.
Guest BelaLugosisDead Posted March 23, 2005 Posted March 23, 2005 [QUOTE=kalter kuss][SIZE=1]I'll just give a list of some bands I know are goth. I personally don't consider Cradle of Filth Goth Souxsie and the Banshees Bauhaus the Cure Sisters of Mercy Black Tape for a Blue Girl Dead Can Dance Danse Macabre Chalice Seraphim Shock Bella Morte Gangrel Behind the Curtain Blood Vial Ensoph the 69 eyes Dying Tears Godsend Greyswan and that's all that comes to mind at the moment, but a place that has goth/goth metal bands. [url]http://www.evils-darkland.de/gothic.htm[/url][/size][/QUOTE] +bows+ Thank you...somebody with sense... Btw, have you heard Godhead's cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead. It's rather good.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now