CaptainAnarchy Posted December 26, 2004 Posted December 26, 2004 [SIZE=1]Yay...I'm finally de-lazyizing myself to start a thread 'bout grunge. Any grungers out there? It'd sure be cool to talk to another grunge person. I'm the only one in my area :([/SIZE]
LPpunkrocka Posted January 1, 2005 Posted January 1, 2005 OK...Maybe I'm not considered "grunge" to you, but I'd just like to say that grunge is pretty cool. Some people consider me "grunge", though. O well. Grunge people are cool.^^
CaptainAnarchy Posted January 1, 2005 Author Posted January 1, 2005 [SIZE=1]For a grunger, I smell like anything but Teen Spirit.[/SIZE]
LPpunkrocka Posted January 11, 2005 Posted January 11, 2005 lol ok...you're referring to Nirvana when you say that, right? They're awesome.
Baron Samedi Posted January 13, 2005 Posted January 13, 2005 [size=1]What bands do you consider grunge? It is a fairly broad term I'd imagine, and could be cross-genre compatible with heavy-metal.[/size]
CaptainAnarchy Posted January 13, 2005 Author Posted January 13, 2005 Hmm...Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Lounge Act...
Mitch Posted January 13, 2005 Posted January 13, 2005 I think Tool defines grunge in every way possible. Amazing band.
LPpunkrocka Posted January 14, 2005 Posted January 14, 2005 Tool is cool, dude. So's Nirvana and Alice in Chains.
CaptainAnarchy Posted January 15, 2005 Author Posted January 15, 2005 If Nirvana was physically able to urinate on Alice In Chains, it would do so (I don't have anything against alice in chains, I've just been wanting to use that expression for a long time...AIC is a good band)
LPpunkrocka Posted February 21, 2005 Posted February 21, 2005 0.0 ok...why you wanted to say that, I don't know, but it was sort of funny, and they are both good bands.
Drix D'Zanth Posted February 21, 2005 Posted February 21, 2005 Holy vacuous thread, Batman! Honestly, the one sentence posts are getting a bit redundant after a while, gents. "You like grunnge" "I guess so" "I like nirvana" "Nirvana is my life" "Yeah they are cool, so is Alice in Chains" "blah blah>.." If you really want to skimp the content, just take it over to an AIM convo... Grunge? I was exposed to grunge along with the rest of the teenaged community in the early-mid 90's. Nirvana was the reigning king of grunge. I thought they had a unique sound, but the message was the angst that seems to have given way to "Emo" nowadays. I despise emo, so I suppose I must arbitrarily despise its progenitor. Creative outlooks on life's dilemmas are one thing, but "whiny" music takes such creativity and swerves it in the entirely wrong direction. I wonder, for the sake of some conversation, how would you define grunge?
Queen Asuka Posted February 21, 2005 Posted February 21, 2005 [color=hotpink][size=1]Well, by the way you guys seem to be taking this thread, I guess all the music I listen to just about fits into that category. And it is very disgusting to smell. That's not what grunge was all about, okay? Anywho, my favorite band of all time is Stone Temple Pilots, and they are pretty much from that era. Other bands that I am constantly listening to include Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, and other such nifty bands. As for Nirvana pissing on Alice in Chains, well, I guess that's what all the cool kids who ONLY listen to Nirvana say. Nirvana is just way too mainstream. I love their music and I love the availability of their merchandise, but I hate all the kids who think they rock music's world. And Mitch, I would never have thought of Tool as grunge. Interesting.[/color][/size]
CaptainAnarchy Posted February 23, 2005 Author Posted February 23, 2005 Oh...heh. The smelling has nothing to do with grunge, I just love informing random people about my strong odor o__o...and I wasn't informed Nirvana was mainstream, where I live its anything but. And as I said before, Nirvana doesnt really piss on Alice In Chains. I just found that saying and found it effing hilarious.
Semjaza Posted February 23, 2005 Posted February 23, 2005 Nirvana were freaking huge. Every "grunge" band and most bands of the 90s took a backseat to their popularity in the 90s. It' seems strange to not realize how massive their fanbase was, which is what I assume people mean by "mainstream". In fact, the only reason most other similar bands even were noticed by labels was because of the enormous success of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Even well know bands such as Pearl Jam owe thanks to that song's success as their album Ten (which actually came out before Teen Spirit hit the airwaves) picked up sales after Nirvana's explosion. I've never really been a big Nirvana fan. I enjoy them and really like the Unplugged album, but it's never been more than a casual interest. I guess the best thing about grunge was its destruction of the hair metal/rock bands which had been around entirely too long. Personally, I wasn't saddened when grunge's popularity declined anyway.
CaptainAnarchy Posted February 23, 2005 Author Posted February 23, 2005 Hm. Well, I don't watch MTV, so I wouldn't of known that it was in the top three. But anyways, as I said before, it isn't mainstream in my area.
boxybrown305 Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 [COLOR=DarkRed]Nirvana certainly was mainstream. Especially in terms of grunge, it was the most popular of grunge. A good example of a more low key grunge band which i'm shocked to see was not mentioned, is The Melvins. Get their CD "Ozma" if you don't already have it. That's an order.[/COLOR]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now