OtakuBoards

Dagger

[QUOTE=xmystic_silverx]I agree. [spoiler]When you see him smiling you're thinking that he's starting to change and in my mind I was definitely thinking that he was going to join Aang and his group and even more so after the scene with Katara in the cave.

It confused me the whole time! I couldn't believe that he actually listened to his psychotic sister over his uncle who loves him like his own son. The majority of the time I was thinking that Zuko just [i]had[/i] to be playing along and was actually going to pick Aang's side. Sadly, it didn't turn out that way.

I understand that his father's approval is something he really strives for but what has his father given him? After everything he has put him through he still wants to be loved by him? It's kinda like "Come on Zuko, catch a clue!"[/spoiler][/quote]

[color=dimgray] [spoiler] Haha, same here. The entire time, I was just "Zukoyoubetterhavesomethingupyoursleeve". [/spoiler]

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I take into consideration all the hard times Zuko has been through and the fact that he's only a teenager, which alone explain a lot. But the makings of his character is one that is not easily likable. He's unstable, and prone to let emotion act instead of logic.

I tend to see this huge similarity between Zuko and Sasuke from Naruto, if that helps you in any way. Both are tormented by a victory that, in the end, will do nothing for them. It makes for a great character (if done well, which in both cases I believe they are), but it also makes for an unlikable one. [/color]

[quote name='xmystic_silverx][spoiler']Zuko noticed that dissappointment and I think that its going to trigger something. Hopefully. I would be awfully sad if Zuko says on his sister's side throughout the rest of the series.[/spoiler][/quote]

[color=dimgray] Yup, yup! :) Season three is going to be [i]killer[/i], which all these possiblities floating about. [spoiler] I was just thinking how *amazing* a conflict it would be if Iroh died because of Zuko's decision. I would love and hate for it to happen. Iroh is my favorite character, but the struggle Zuko would face would be such an amazing jolt to his character.[/spoiler][/color]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I love this show! I think it's pretty great that the Western world has produced something so anime-resemblant. Ooooo...we're evolving. :D

Anyway, I'm actually only just over halfway through the second season, because I watch it on YTV, which is ages behind Nickelodeon. :animeangr But I can say that I've been extremely impressed with this show thus far, and I look forward to watching it every Monday. :D

My favorite characters are Zuko and Sokka, with Uncle Iroh fairly close behind. Zuko because he's a fairly complex character, who has had some difficult times in his life, and a horrid father/sister. It's good character development. He's determined and strong, although very stubborn and rash. I've just always liked his character. Sokka's a great character 1) because he's HILARIUS 2) because I can relate to him in a lot of ways--we kind of have the same mind-set. A bit pessimistic, for one thing. :animeswea And Iroh...he's just such a great guy. Wise and good-natured.

I love the comedy in Avatar. It's just really great, clean fun. It's not overdone. It's just right for me, and I laugh my head off during practically every episode.

I also agree that the animation is excellent, especially compared to some other North American cartoons. Especially the fight scenes. Very elegantly done.

So, I may be way behind everybody in seeing the episodes, :animesigh but at least I can still appreciate how great the show is. :p

[color=dimgray] Gotta agree with xmystic_silverx and medafunk on Avatar's humor. It's so classic and well-done. That's what I love about good kids' shows- they can be just as entertaining as any other show and be good about it.

I'm thinking about buying Avatar on DVD, which is huge for me, because I rarely ever buy DVDs. I guess I like the show that much. P:[/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox]
I tend to see this huge similarity between Zuko and Sasuke from Naruto, if that helps you in any way. Both are tormented by a victory that, in the end, will do nothing for them. It makes for a great character (if done well, which in both cases I believe they are), but it also makes for an unlikable one.[/quote]

Don't I know it. I was thinking the same thing and I had actaully told my friend that Zuko had pulled a "Sasuke" which left her screaming and ranting. Their personalities are a lot alike but when I thought about it more I realized that even their childhoods were very similar as well. [spoiler]Both had the desire to be better than their siblings in order to win the approval of their fathers.[/spoiler]

In the end, I think I sympathize with Zuko more because his goal is a little more [I]noble[/I], for the lack of a better word, than Sasuke's. He wants to be loved by his father [spoiler]while Sasuke just wants to kill Itachi no matter what it will cost him. Also, we can tell that Zuko isn't sure whether or not he made the right choice towards the end of the episode; he looked a little worried, not?[/spoiler] For Sasuke, he's made his choice and doesn't regret it.

[quote] Yup, yup! :) Season three is going to be [i]killer[/i], which all these possiblities floating about. [spoiler] I was just thinking how *amazing* a conflict it would be if Iroh died because of Zuko's decision. I would love and hate for it to happen. Iroh is my favorite character, but the struggle Zuko would face would be such an amazing jolt to his character.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

It would be an amazing conflict, [spoiler]especially if Azula was the one to kill Iroh. Just add a little more coal to the fire.

I really don't know what's going to happen because, like you said, there are way too many possibilities. Aang still needs to learn fire bending and I think that Zuko should be the one to teach him. I hope Zuko will join the good side. I don't think that the creators would really let such a great character go to waste like that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...[/spoiler]

Oh yeah, does anyone have an idea of then the new season will start? Like I said before, I just started watching Avatar and so I never watched the first finale and have no clue how long it takes for the new season to air.

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray]
I'm thinking about buying Avatar on DVD, which is huge for me, because I rarely ever buy DVDs. I guess I like the show that much. P:[/color][/QUOTE]

I want to do that too but for me, its hard to watch something I've seen already twice. I used to buy YYH DVDs up the wazoo but then money became hard to come by for me and I just stopped. However, they have some awsome special features on those DVDs.

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Damn I was about to slap Zuko today when I finally saw the season finale... I actually yelled at the TV and yes I know it's just animation cells but Iroh is my favorite character and I can't believe it ended like that.

[spoiler]I am really glad that Iroh and Aang showed up in the cave before Katara could do something stupid and heal Zuko's scar- he really doesn't deserve that kindness especially since he betrayed Iroh, but I'll get to that in a bit. I'm glad she used the water from the Spirit Oasis to save Aang instead so now Azula just [i]thinks[/i] he's dead.

But I cannot believe that Zuko betrayed Iroh of all people! Iroh! The guy who treated Zuko better than his own father had and told him that he was like a son to him! How the hell could the writers do that? I mean yeah, I understand that Azula was dangling his pride and what he's wanted the past three years under his nose but really Iroh has been the only true family Zuko had for the past three years! And he threw it all away for his sister who is probably going to hand him over to Ozai the moment she gets a ship ready.

I cannot believe the writers just let him forget that dream he had when he was sick last episode and The Avatar State when Azula had tricked Zuko and Iroh into getting on her ship so they could be turned over to OZai. I'm glad that he's going to feel guilty again. Seriously I hope they decide to make him sick again... I wonder what he'll do without Iroh to help him[/spoiler]

Yeah I had a lot to rant about for the season finale. But Mai was really funny when they came to rescue Bosco.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Finally! An american made cartoon that doesn't make us look mediocre. Avatar's incredibly well done, with two or three times when i'm watching that show I have to double check that it IS infact Nickelodeon that made it. You can tell though, it's got a heavy western dialogue to it with anime style thrown in. I watched it for my last year long project ((anime's influence on animation as a whole)) and got into it a bit. It's definately better than more of the other things i'm co-erced into watching by my younger sister. So yeah, Yay for Avatar! ^_^[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=xmystic_silverx]Oh yeah, does anyone have an idea of then the new season will start? Like I said before, I just started watching Avatar and so I never watched the first finale and have no clue how long it takes for the new season to air.

I want to do that too but for me, its hard to watch something I've seen already twice. I used to buy YYH DVDs up the wazoo but then money became hard to come by for me and I just stopped. However, they have some awsome special features on those DVDs.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial]If logic serves me right, then I would say the third season should start in late February/Early March of 2007. I think it makes since being that the first and second seasons started at that time. I see no reason why the next wouldn't.

I'd have to say that even though I'm dissapointed with Zuko's decision, this makes me like him even more. I want more than before for him to find happiness because he's such a mixed up kid! [spoiler]As you guys have mentioned before, he had to go and betray the one person alive that he knows loves him and understands him more than any one.

The way I see it, Zuko doesn't know what he really wants at this point, not just yet. And even if he did know, he apparently doesn't know where he should look for it. He had what he basically wanted in Uncle Iroh, but no he can't see that. Okay, sure he wants his honor restored and all, but this is the Fire Nation. Does he really want to continue to be apart of the grief and destruction that the Fire Nation is causing? I believe he hasn't got a single truly evil bone in his body.[/spoiler]

I agree that it's going to get interesting this next season! I can't wait.

I do very much enjoy watching the fight scenes. I just love the choreography. I'd say that is definitely one of my favorite aspects of the show along with the humor as you guys have mentioned.[/FONT]

[QUOTE=xmystic_silverx][spoiler]I really don't know what's going to happen because, like you said, there are way too many possibilities. Aang still needs to learn fire bending and I think that Zuko should be the one to teach him. I hope Zuko will join the good side. I don't think that the creators would really let such a great character go to waste like that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...[/spoiler]

I want to do that too but for me, its hard to watch something I've seen already twice. I used to buy YYH DVDs up the wazoo but then money became hard to come by for me and I just stopped. However, they have some awsome special features on those DVDs.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial]I believe Aang already knows how to fire bend, he has just chosen not to. More like he needs to master it.

I am not one to buy DVDs of any kind myself, but I plan on getting those of this series. Although I've seen many episodes from season one a number of times, I love it that much and it's just so entertaining in many aspects, I must have it.[/FONT]

The new season will start in March? Such a long time! I have trouble waiting for new Naruto chapters every thursday how am I going to wait three more months? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal, lol.

[QUOTE=Whiteblaze]
[FONT=Arial]I believe Aang already knows how to fire bend, he has just chosen not to. More like he needs to master it.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I guess you're right. I totally forgot about the episode where he first tried fire bending. Well, in that case, I think Zuko should be the one to help him master it.

[quote name='xmystic_silverx']I guess you're right. I totally forgot about the episode where he first tried fire bending. Well, in that case, I think Zuko should be the one to help him master it.[/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Which would be an excellent idea except for one small problem that needs to be noted [spoiler]Zuko betrayed his own uncle in favor of his father's love and attacked Aang and Katara. He's teamed up with Azula now and she's taken over Ba Sing Se[/spoiler] So I think think that takes Zuko out of the running.[/color][/font]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Which would be an excellent idea except for one small problem that needs to be noted [spoiler]Zuko betrayed his own uncle in favor of his father's love and attacked Aang and Katara. He's teamed up with Azula now and she's taken over Ba Sing Se[/spoiler] So I think think that takes Zuko out of the running.[/color'][/font][/quote]

[color=dimgray] [spoiler] I definitely wouldn't count Zuko out. Sure, he made a bad decision, but he's got more depth than to just follow Azula around. He did have qualms over his betrayal, and hopefully the creators will flesh it out next season.[/spoiler][/color]

[quote=whiteblaze]I'd have to say that even though I'm dissapointed with Zuko's decision, this makes me like him even more. I want more than before for him to find happiness because he's such a mixed up kid! [spoiler]As you guys have mentioned before, he had to go and betray the one person alive that he knows loves him and understands him more than any one.
[/quote]

[color=dimgray] Same here! I thought Zuko's decision made him more realistic and deep as a character, although narrative-wise, I didn't enjoy how the creators planned out the decision.

I don't think he's evil, either. Even when he was a kid, he had reservations and sympathy, and the things he's done have been in the name of restoring his father's acceptance. It's too easy to just label him as an evil guy.[/spoiler][/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Which would be an excellent idea except for one small problem that needs to be noted [spoiler]Zuko betrayed his own uncle in favor of his father's love and attacked Aang and Katara. He's teamed up with Azula now and she's taken over Ba Sing Se[/spoiler] So I think think that takes Zuko out of the running.[/color'][/font][/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure.

I totally agree with Lunox on this one. There is still time to return to the good side, ya know, so I wouldn't count him out just yet. There's something about characters like Zuko (*cough*Sasuke*cough*). You know that in the end they're probably, [I]hopefully[/I], going to end up on the good side.

The problem I'm worried about is whether or not he will be able to, [I]hopefully[/I], redeem himself [B]in time[/B] for Aang to save the world.

[QUOTE=xmystic_silverx]I wouldn't be so sure.

I totally agree with Lunox on this one. There is still time to return to the good side, ya know, so I wouldn't count him out just yet. There's something about characters like Zuko (*cough*Sasuke*cough*). You know that in the end they're probably, [I]hopefully[/I], going to end up on the good side.

The problem I'm worried about is whether or not he will be able to, [I]hopefully[/I], redeem himself [B]in time[/B] for Aang to save the world.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]In my defense I am a huge fan of Iroh and now I'm really against Zuko because of what he did. But as a friend of mine pointed out Azula coerced him. But still it was IROH![/color][/font]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]In my defense I am a huge fan of Iroh and now I'm really against Zuko because of what he did. But as a friend of mine pointed out Azula coerced him. But still it was IROH![/color'][/font][/quote]

Yeah, I know. I'm still mad about it too. *sigh*

All he needs is to be humiliated and betrayed one more time to get through his thick skull that Iroh loves him and not his dear daddy.

He'll turn to the good side. Believe it.

[QUOTE=ForgotteÑ-HerÖ]Zuko and Katara are blech!

Go Katang![/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]But Kataang can't happen because [spoiler]in The Guru Aang was told that if he doesn't forget about his attachments to that world he'll never be able to reach the Avatar state.[/spoiler]

Oh Goddess I am an Avatard! I just argued a cartoon pairing... I need sleep![/color][/font]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]But Kataang can't happen because [spoiler]in The Guru Aang was told that if he doesn't forget about his attachments to that world he'll never be able to reach the Avatar state.[/spoiler]

Oh Goddess I am an Avatard! I just argued a cartoon pairing... I need sleep![/color][/font][/QUOTE]

He should just think about her later.

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray'] Oh god, no shipping wars, please. [/color][/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Don't worry about me. I'm only a Zukat shipper because I was converted. Honestly I can't see it happening in the show now thanks to Zuzu's actions in the season finale. Plus I think Katara loves both Sokka and Aang too much to intentionally try to kill them via heart attack by falling in love with Zuko. But most AU fanfics I read have that pairing.

I don't war on ships, I just parody them.[/color][/font]

[color=#d2b43b][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS][quote name='xmystic_silverx']Those are horrible. Where do they come up with these pairings in the first place? Personally, I don't see any of those pairings actually happening.[/quote]

I [U][I]swear[/I][/U] that the moment that I start seeing Yaoi pairing in this series I will probably die on the inside.

Yet I have a feeling that most fangirls have already planned / written many of them.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='xmystic_silverx']Those are horrible. Where do they come up with these pairings in the first place? Personally, I don't see any of those pairings actually happening.[/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] I can see some pairing happening but others you just have to wonder what some people were smoking when they were thought up

Like Sokka and Azula. WTF was someone thinking that Azula should be paired with anyone? That psycho is more Black Widow like than human like. Also Toph and Sokka really I don't see that happening.

I like parodying ships myself. And I actually do a good job of it- I got bored and started drabbles about it and actually paired Azula with Aang... like that wouldn't end in mass chaos and blood.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][color=#d2b43b][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]

I [U][I]swear[/I][/U] that the moment that I start seeing Yaoi pairing in this series I will probably die on the inside.

Yet I have a feeling that most fangirls have already planned / written many of them.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] :p Avatar is the most un-slashable fandom ever, lol. Zuko/Aang is just [i]bleh[/i] because of the ages and Zuko/Sokka makes no sense whatsoever. Not to mention Zuko/Jet, which is seriously... I don't even know.

Earth King/Bosco=OTP.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NIKI12345
That show is so great!!!!!!!!!!!11 :D :D :D :D :catgirl: :catgirl: :p

-----

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] :p Avatar is the most un-slashable fandom ever, lol. Zuko/Aang is just [i]bleh[/i] because of the ages and Zuko/Sokka makes no sense whatsoever. Not to mention Zuko/Jet, which is seriously... I don't even know.

Earth King/Bosco=OTP.[/color][/QUOTE]

Do you have a problem with the Avatar! That show rocks. What in your brain does not like it. :animeangr :animeangr :mad: Just wondering????? :animeswea
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][INDENT]I've combined your posts together [B]NIKI12345[/B], in the future, do not double post. If you forgot something just use the edit button in the lower right hand corner of your post. Also more discussion is required when responding to a thread, simply saying a show is great without explaining why you think it is great is spam. So please improve your posts. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=NIKI12345]Do you have a problem with the Avatar! That show rocks. What in your brain does not like it. :animeangr :animeangr :mad: Just wondering????? :animeswea
[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Whoa girl lay off the sugar! Lunox was just saying that the characters in Avatar are unslashable meaning that you can't do yaoi/yuri pairings with the characters and make it believable. Come on! Zuko and Sokka... dear El! Someone would end up with a terrible case of dead in no time.

I have to agree with that except that in some odd way I can see Toph and Katara a few years down the road.... But Toph would obviously be the dominant one.

What I want to know is what is up with those people trying to pair Azula with Sokka? Who besides me thinks that is a severly derranged idea? Seriously folks that girl is going to kill whoever she mates. She's an animated human version of a black widdow spider! So I vote she mates with Hahn [spoiler]Princess Yue's betrothed from the first season finale[/spoiler] so he finally gets what's coming to him.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Just a quick note: I merged the three Avatar threads. I realize that they weren't all active at the same time but I thought since there was some good conversation and information in all three, it would make sense to put it all together.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]At this point, I'd like to declare this the official Avatar thread and it should be used for all further Avatar related discussion, regardless of the last post date.[/color][/font]