OtakuBoards

Dagger

[url=http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/video.jhtml?show_id=ava&clip=16][u]Official site[/u][/url]

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/life/20041215/d_nick15_side.art.htm][u]USA Today article[/u][/url]

After watching the online trailer, I am incredibly psyched about watching Avatar. This is the only example of Western animation I have [i]ever[/i] seen that successfully captures the intrinsic look and feel of quality anime--while bringing American production values to the table. The animation is stunningly smooth, and the requisite CG bits don't seem too jarring. I can't quite describe what aspects of the video clip provided made Avatar scream anime, but I'll try: it probably has something to do with the style of shading, the character designs (sophisticated, clean and fairly realistic) and the placing of the camera.

The story sounds as though it could be interesting, and I'm already intrigued by the (obviously Asian-influenced) setting. In any case, I can't wait to see Avatar. It's scheduled to premiere in February. Hopefully this series will not only live up to its initial promise, but also do well enough to a) increase awareness and acceptance of Japanese anime, and b) encourage other American companies to produce similar works.

~Dagger~

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly the reason why it captures such an anime-esque feel is that the studio that animated the movie "Wonderful Days" is in complete control of storyboarding, animation, design, and direction. A lot of American cartoons are animated in Asia but most are storyboarded and directed stateside. A few American cartoons like Batman Beyond, Duckman, and MEGAS XLR have had some directing across the Pacific but not the design or storyboarding. Avatar, with the scripts, story, and funding the only things done in America, is a bit more on the level of The Big O II rather than your typical Nicktoon.

As for me, I'm really looking forward to the show. From what I heard about the Comic-Con sneak preview the writting needs some improvement but the animation and action are still beautiful. I hope they get their stuff together writting-wise and make this the greatest thing to ever hit Nickelodeon since Invader ZIM, and maybe even surpase that show. It even premieres on my 12th birthday, so might have a great present in store. However, Nick might have some trouble figuring how to schedule the show because it would look ridiculous inbetween Rugrats and Jimmy Newtron so perhaps Nickelodeon could create a new programming block for edgier animated programming on Mondays. The schedule could work like this for the block:

7:00 PM: Rocko's Modern Life
7:30: Ren and Stimpy
8:00: Invader ZIM
8:30: Avatar

That would be 2 hours of programming I would definately want to watch. :cool:

[color=#811C3A]Western/Eastern cooperation with this type of thing usually produces great results (see The Animatrix and, to a lesser degree, Spirited Away).

Anyway, I watched the trailer and this looks like it could be a very cool film. Gorgeous animation and some interesting looking characters. I'll definitely look out for this one. ^_^[/color]

• 1 year later...
This show is too good. Everything is top-notch, and it is probably the best animated series I've ever seen.

Especially the fights.

[URL=http://voiea.net/things/clip1.avi]Clip 1[/URL]

[URL=http://voiea.net/things/clip2.avi]Clip 2[/URL]

Apparently, those clips don't work in Quicktime.

Season 2 starts next week-- March 17th, and should be about the Earth Nation.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Everyone, please put more efforts into your posts. As of yet, none of the posts in this topic have really met our standards. Please be sure to use proper grammar and punctuation, make sure your posts are on topic and contribute to the conversation, and if you have not done so yet, read over the site's [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/url] and [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?]FAQ[/url].[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'll leave the thread open for now, though I will be merging it with an older one about Avatar. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any other Staff member.[/color][/font]

• 1 month later...
:animesmil I can't believe the sequel came out!

The awesome saga of Avatar: The Last Airbender came out with a movie two months ago. In The Fury of Aang, a library is found in the middle of the desert, and Sakka, Katara, and Aang goes into it while Toph stays back. [spoiler] Sandbenders come and steals Appa, and Toph tries to stop them, but the library is falling, and the sand doesn't help her to see. The learn that Appa is sold to a merchant in Ba Sing Se, the great wall city and capitol of the Earth Kingdom. So they head there. It ends. [/spoiler]

The Sequl came out last Friday titled: "The Secret of the Fire Nation" it turns out not only are they heading to Ba-Sing-Se, but there's a whole mass exodus leaving towards Ba sing se. And when they finally get there, Aang learns the secret of the Fire Nation.

I'm leaving it there, for those who have not seen the Secret of the Fire Nation.

[color=#007520][indent][size=1]I'm moving this to Music, Movies & TV. Technically Avatar isn't Anime, so this belongs there. ;) -r2[/size][/indent][/color]

[COLOR=Lime]I've seen the both movies and liked them both. But in the second movie I would have to say that I really didn't learn anything about the secret of the Fire Nation.[spoiler] Unless I totally missed it and dind't really see the consept or I was just not paying attention.[/spoiler]

But either way I think that it was a nice way to see all the fire,water,air,and earth beding action in the second movie.[spoiler]Well I guess I'll have to wait and see this Friday's epi (ep-e). It's all new one too :catgirl: .[/spoiler][/COLOR]

• 5 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]From what I understand, the Secret of the Fire Nation was that the Firebenders lose their powers on the night of and eclipse. Nothing much was really said about it after that, and it has mostly been on Aang's quest to retrieve Appa. Are they going to be doing more fire nation stuff after this? Because I wanna see some butt-kicking. If they end it, it will have been pointless. They might as well just called it something like "The Pursuit of Appa", or something.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Lime]It could be over with but I have a feeling that it's not done with. There are more episodes on Nick at my place. I hope there's more or I'd freak and say [spoiler]"what the heck happened! they shouldn't leave it a cliffhanger and if they don't get more episodes I'm a gonna so be angry for the rest of my life until they get more.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[color=dimgray] So. I am an Avatard, and I know there are more of you out there, dammit. >_>

The last thread about Avatar was in '05 and it wasn't really about the show itself, so I decided to make one. And I do believe it belongs in the Music, Movies & TV forum simply because 'anime' means Japanese cartoons, and obviously Avatar is made in the US. But it the mod thinks otherwise I apologise in advance. I hope the debate over whether or not it is 'anime' never comes up, because it really doesn't matter.

I'm willing to say that Avatar is one of the best animated shows out right now, American or Asian. It's the classic adventure plotline with a truly appealing and fresh take, and it caters to people outside of the intended 9-11 age group as well.

What I think is so great about it is that the creators have managed (very well so) to combine both new and old material and come up with something entertaining and original. The numerous influences from various Asian cultures, revitalizing the 'controlling the elements' cliché... all that stuff just makes it a cool show.

Animation is clean and of great quality compared to some of the other stuff out there. The fight scenes (the episode The Blue Spirit comes to mind) and any show of extensive bending are all fluid and not the usual framed scene with lines in the background stuff you usually get.

The plot is well planned out, the settings are great, the characters are likable, it's funny and serious and emotional, and all that good stuff. #_# I love this show so much.

Not to say that it doesn't have its down sides. Some of the episodes are boring, it can be cheesy (hey, it's still a kid's show at heart), animation is sloppy sometimes, yadda yadda. But I think the good far outweight the bad.

And to end my overly long post, I am obsessing over watching the season finale tomorrow night. [spoiler]Even though I still think Zutara is incredibly random and shouldn't just happen in one episode. >_>[/spoiler][/color]

[COLOR=Blue][B]Me too![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]I think Katara and Aang are great. I love Sokka's[/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]"idiotism". [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Is that even a real word? Anyways I think [spoiler]Prince Zulo is better off helping the avatar and start going after Azula.[/spoiler] I feel bad that Uncle Iroh's origanal voice actor passed away. But the new one is till good.

I found it funny when Prince Zuko [spoiler] made tea for Iroh and he took a drink. He lied and said "yum". Then he threw it out the window.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]*sparkly eyes* *gasp* ^^

I too love Avatar! And although I haven't really been keeping up with all of this season I am still definitely looking forward to the season finale. I don't know how I managed to miss so many episodes. >.<

Edit ~

Yes, I'd have to say that's one of my favorite aspects; how Aang although the Avatar, he's just a 12 year old kid. I wouldn't like him as much as I do if it weren't for that.

I'd have to say Aang, Iroh, and Zuko are my favorite characters. But really I like all of the main characters and think they are cool in their own way.

I love Iroh's take on life. He can be wise and so enlightened and yet funny and very silly at others. I love it when he's having one of his moments.

Zuko I liked from the beginning because of his determination to see his situation changed.[/FONT]

[color=#9944ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Oh man I feel like I'm in an AA meeting- well I kind of am... actually it's like an AAA meeting (Avatar Addicts Anonomys) My name is CHW (not really) I'm twenty-five and I like to watch Avatar the Last Airbender. And so do some of my friends.

I actually didn't get into Avatar until the end of last year when Nick did a marathon of the first season. The story is great and I love the characters even Aang who for a main character (Actually title character is more accurate isn't it?) is really cool. I like how the writers focused on making him a typical twelve year old boy who focuses more on having fun and has a lot of conflicts about being the Avatar and having to be the one to save the world.

Iroh is definately my favorite character from the show. Seriously he PWNS everyone else (Even Sokka who is my second favorite) and would have probably ended this war if [spoiler]Azulon had allowed him to become Fire Lord instead of mysteriously dying and allowing Ozai to become the next Fire Lord.[/spoiler] I like that Iroh has [spoiler]Told Zuko that ever since he lost his own son that he considers Zuko his son.[/spoiler] It's a hell of a lot more kindness than Ozai has ever shown Zuko and that's his own son. Iroh shows a lot of concern for Zuko in every situation.

I don't mind Azula as much as I probably should because she does train extremely hard to be the best. Okay so she's cold hearted and a nut job. Plus she shows no concern for anyone but herself and maybe her father, but she kows what she wants. I have to say that Ty Lee is my least favorite character. She's just way too perky! And dizty and when I watch her I can't help but think of Chloe from Bratz because they have the same voice actress. Both characters annoy me.

Zutara is definately my favorite pairing along with Sokka/Suki or Sokka/Yue (yeah she's dead...) and I screamed my head off when I saw the first promo for the second season finale. I never saw Kataang happening even before I saw the second promo for the finale. But I do feel bad that [spoiler]Aang will have to give up Katara to enter the avatar state. However I'm glad that Sokka will meet up with his father tonight. And I can not wait to see what happens with Azula, Zuko and Iroh.[/spoiler] Too bad I have to work, but I will definately tape it and watch it twice tomorrow since I have satellite TV and get both the east coast and west coast Nick stations. Now if only I got Nicktoon TV.[/color][/font]

[color=dimgray] The problem I have with Zutara is that it's so sudden. There's been almost no building of their relationship, and then they're going to fall in love [spoiler] in a cave?[/spoiler] Eh. Hopefully it will just start off from there and build up to love.

But on the topic of character... Aang is my favorite. I love the whole "too young to be a hero" aspect of him, and he's such a lovable little guy. :] Second is a three-way tie between Zuko, Uncle Iroh, and Appa. Who, by the way, is THE BEST FICTIONAL ANIMAL EVAR OMG. Except maybe Totoro.

I never saw Katara/Aang really happening, either, and I sort of prefer it that way as well. I rarely like having main characters be involved in a romantic relationship. I guess it has to do with the whole sacrificial, struggling aspect I like so much about protagonists. >_>

[spoiler] Feel bad for Sokka, though, seeing as Yue became a spirit and as far as we know, Suki might be dead. :[[/spoiler]

I actually like all of the characters, except Azula and her two buddies. They're not characteristically stimulating at all, and Ty Lee needs to go back to the circus.[/color]

I guess I could say that I'm a new "Avatard." I just joined the bandwagon last week, I think, and I am very impressed with what this show has to offer.

The first thing that caught me was the stunning animation. The battle scenes are the best I have ever seen! Just the movements... they just "flow" really well. It's not the same thing over and over again (ex: DBZ).

Another element of this show that I absolutely love is the humor. The jokes and situations that they use are things that I would laugh about in a normal day. I mean, that foamy fan-boy guy is just genius. I could watch [i]The village of Kyoshi[/i] and [i]Avatar Day[/i] over and over and that guy screaming his lungs out would never cease to entertain me. He has got to be my favorite character that is not a main character. My favorite character is... hm... Sokka. I guess it's because he's dang hilarious and that he can still get by without being a bender.

I do wonder where people get their pairings from, though. I understand Aang and Katara (though I don't really like it) and Sokka and Suki/Yue but Zuko and Katara? The only time that they really had a talk without fighting was on the Season finale, in a cave, and for a very short period of time. And I'm pretty sure that once you watch the ending of it, you'll probably get the feeling that the whole "talk" did absolutely nothing to change Katara's viewpoint of Zuko. It was very disappointing and I'm still fuming about it.

[FONT=Arial]The pairings of characters is not usually what I focus on in a show because I like to simply sit back and watch what develops. The only development I have seen thus far has been Aang/Katara and Sokka/Suki. I guess I'm about the only one who sees the Aang/Katara? I noticed it way back in the first season.

I don't understand how you guys haven't noticed. There have been bits and pieces every where hinting to Aang and Katara, not to mention entire episodes. While I don't really see it happening, I admit Zuko/Katara is a nice pairing. But I agree with you Lunox, there's really no background with them.

I admit that Aang/Katara seems a little off in a way at first, but really I think it's cute that Aang loves Katara.

Getting away from the couple thing, I'd have to say I have enjoyed watching Aang and Katara's bending skills grow. I mean, they've come a long way[/FONT].

[color=dimgray] Watched the season finale. My thoughts:

[spoiler] After it finished I was just in a state of shock. I was angry/confused/sad over Zuko's decision and my fangirl side took over. At first I thought it was a ****** move by the writers. How does an entire season of character development go down the drain in two minutes? Why did they even bother?

But I've made some amendments to my opinion.

I'm still upset over the execution of the whole episode. Firstly, happy and contented and smiling Zuko was just [i]bad[/i], because it was way too sudden and unexpected. Then, the writers/creators miss the crucial moment and Zuko decides to listen to AZULA. What? Zuko is many things, but he's not that stupid. Yeah, his drive to earn his father's approval is a huge part of him, but seriously!

But then again, his decision, if dealt with well in season three, could be an amazing bit of character development. We all know that deep down, he knows Iroh loves him, but he [i]needs[/i] that approval from his father. And at the same time it kills him that he betrayed Iroh. Oh, the possibilites!

And Zuko has to decide on his own. If Iroh lives up to being the wisest character on Avatar, he'll realize that Zuko must go through with his "crossroads" with himself only. Iroh's pushing during season two helped Zuko, but it was because there were no real temptations along the way (other than the Appa incident).

So... I still love Zuko. Grudgingly.

Aang's visit with the Guru was a bit underwhelming. I was expecting some information that would reveal more about the Avatar, but it was just the chakra lessons. Toph is made of awesome. Katara was incredibly OOC (I was mentally screaming at Katara when she was about to use that special water on Zuko), and Sokka was just sort of there.

But the character I want to hug the most right now is Iroh. His dissappointment in Zuko must so massive... it's heartbreaking to think about. [/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] Watched the season finale. My thoughts:

[spoiler]
I'm still upset over the execution of the whole episode. Firstly, happy and contented and smiling Zuko was just [i]bad[/i], because it was way too sudden and unexpected. Then, the writers/creators miss the crucial moment and Zuko decides to listen to AZULA. What? Zuko is many things, but he's not that stupid. Yeah, his drive to earn his father's approval is a huge part of him, but seriously![/spoiler][/quote]

I agree. [spoiler]When you see him smiling you're thinking that he's starting to change and in my mind I was definitely thinking that he was going to join Aang and his group and even more so after the scene with Katara in the cave.

It confused me the whole time! I couldn't believe that he actually listened to his psychotic sister over his uncle who loves him like his own son. The majority of the time I was thinking that Zuko just [i]had[/i] to be playing along and was actually going to pick Aang's side. Sadly, it didn't turn out that way.

I understand that his father's approval is something he really strives for but what has his father given him? After everything he has put him through he still wants to be loved by him? It's kinda like "Come on Zuko, catch a clue!"[/spoiler]

[quote][spoiler]But the character I want to hug the most right now is Iroh. His dissappointment in Zuko must so massive... it's heartbreaking to think about. [/spoiler][/color][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Zuko noticed that dissappointment and I think that its going to trigger something. Hopefully. I would be awfully sad if Zuko says on his sister's side throughout the rest of the series.[/spoiler]