OtakuBoards

Retri's Canvas

Retribution

[SIZE=1] Sorry I haven't posted in your thread before, Alex. But better late than never, right?

[B]Retribution of the Rising Sun-[/B] One word: [B]Amazing[/B]! I'm suprised that you collaborated with someone else on this, but it looks wonderful. I fail to see the connection of the colors with the phrase, but at the same time it just seems to fit so well. *grin* I get such pleasure out of knowing I contributed that phrase. ^__^ "A picture is worth a thousand words is a little difficult to read in contrast to the background, but it looks spectavular none-the-less.

[B]Alexander Cube-[/B] Interesting. I like the image, and the typography blends in nicely, but something about the white line merging/transforming into a black line irks me. The black writing seems a little out of place in comparison with the white and dark blue that are complimented by the background. Still very preetyful, though.

[B]12 pt 2-[/B] I like this one much beter than the original. The green font hurt y poor eyes dearly. The white font of 12 pt 2 blends in with the image much better, and doesn't make my eyes water. ~__^

[B]Dying With Glory-[/B] I agree with Cyriel. Dying with glory seemed a little to simple. The feeling of the writing just wasn't brought out or portrayed by the simplicity. I do lovess the image, but it could have more...oomf.

And as a sidenote, I'm quite fond of Anthology Summer 05. It's an awesome testimony to the work you've created over the summer.[/SIZE]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[SIZE=1]Its been quite a long time since I have put my two cents in :P

Well I will first start off with my usual hello nice job ect :P

Retribution of the Rising Sun Collaboration: w00t, damn, amazing all of that good stuff. The piece is just amazing, the colors, blending, text, BG everything in the art screams YAY! I love the colors and the overall feel of it. I really cannot say much since I am now in a state of shock :P

AC: Yes I agree with Archangel on this piece completely. He almost summed up what I wanted to say. But I can also see why you did this if you planned it with sticking into the theme and the text but oh well.

Nice job :P Keep it up my good friend"s"[/SIZE]

[quote name='Archangel][SIZE=1']but something about the white line merging/transforming into a black line irks me. [/SIZE][/quote]

[size=1]Maybe because it doesn't merge into a black line. There just suddenly is one.

[b]Alexander Cube:[/b] Altronidala. For real now. Do you really wear your sunglasses twentyfour-seven? You have the strange habbit to use way too bright combinations of colours. Uberlight blue and white on it is just... Evil. My eyes pop out watching at it. I'm happy you used darker colours to the right, but I think buttons should be a lot easier to see than they are now.
You just made this design to hurt me. I'm sure you did.

[b]Retribution of the Rising Sun Collaboration:[/b] There's something like "A picture ... Words" above the last word, written in white.. I suppose it says "A picture says more than words" can't be sure though.
Anyway. I really like the red paint, but sometimes it seems more natural cut off than other times. The text is a nice simple choice of fonts. The red colour works well, but maybe it's a bit too much blending in with the red paint over to the left.
Well, I don't have anymore kritiek (Dutch rules *faints*) about this one. I like it a lot. You should do a whole gallery with Sunny. :P

[I]I like posting in your thread. I feel myself the official guy who can hardly let a compliment over his lips :3[/i]
[/size]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]Maybe because it doesn't merge into a black line. There just suddenly is one.

[b]Alexander Cube:[/b] Altronidala. For real now. Do you really wear your sunglasses twentyfour-seven? You have the strange habbit to use way too bright combinations of colours. Uberlight blue and white on it is just... Evil. My eyes pop out watching at it. I'm happy you used darker colours to the right, but I think buttons should be a lot easier to see than they are now.
You just made this design to hurt me. I'm sure you did.

[b]Retribution of the Rising Sun Collaboration:[/b] There's something like "A picture ... Words" above the last word, written in white.. I suppose it says "A picture says more than words" can't be sure though.
Anyway. I really like the red paint, but sometimes it seems more natural cut off than other times. The text is a nice simple choice of fonts. The red colour works well, but maybe it's a bit too much blending in with the red paint over to the left.
Well, I don't have anymore kritiek (Dutch rules *faints*) about this one. I like it a lot. You should do a whole gallery with Sunny. :P

[I]I like posting in your thread. I feel myself the official guy who can hardly let a compliment over his lips :3[/i]
[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]It sounds to me like your monitor is displaying colors really brightly, because no one else has complained about this being a particularly bright piece. It's royal blue and white - that's not very bright now, Booster. And yes, of course, my mission is to hurt teh Booze. Die.

But really - get a new monitor, I really don't think these were that hard to read or bright.[/size]

[size=1]It's a flat screen (since my own PC does not have internet connection) so when I look from a strange angle I can see the actual image as it's supposed to be. This only happens with bright colours though >>'

Ok I'll add comments about [b]Alexander Cube[/b] with a darker angle: The black line still comes out of nowhere. Now I just think the whole thing is too plain to serve it's layout look-ish purpose.

Altogether I'm not a fan of plain designs with such colours anyway. I like contrast and a bigger choice of colours, you probably like it less than I do.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]Eh, thanks for all the comments. Here's a new piece reflecting my current emotions. I hope you understand.

[b]Systematically Losing the Knack[/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/theknack.jpg[/IMG]

And for all you small-text whores (*coughsuncough*), here are the words:

"I feel useless, like I?m losing the knack I once had. Now I ask myself ?Is it
worth it? Do I still have the drive? Do I have the internal fire to make my
soul propel again? I need. Inspiration. A reason. Life again."

And since I can't get a comment in here, I'm just editing this post with another piece of art. Hooray to those who see it, even though the thread won't bump.

[b]metaPHYSICS[/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/meta.jpg[/IMG]

[b]Idioteque - Zentheque[/b] - Inspired by Radiohead. Again.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/zentheque.jpg[/IMG][/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna][B]Systematically Losing the Knack[/B] - I think this one had great potential. I love the green arrows, and the idea, and the words are quite nice. However, the way it turned out...there is an [I]immense[/I] amount of white space, and what you have doesn't really fit into it well. Also, the way the words and everything have been positioned looks...well, not very nice, I don't think. I mean, it's not bad, but it really could be much better. And [I][U]thank you[/U][/I] for giving us the words - it is very much appreciated. ^_^

[B]metaPHYSICS[/B] - This one is quite cute! Yes, I really love the coloring on this one, and the background gives a very nice texture to it. Although, you could perhaps arrange the words so that they have equal amount of space left on each side, but that's just me and my obsession with symmetry. Nice border - so nicely integrated that I almost didn't notice it - I only saw that it gave a certain lightness to the eye.

[B]Idioteque - Zentheque[/B] - I won't pretend to know what this means, because I am utterly clueless. Still, I like it! It's a new look for you, I think; at least, I've haven't seen something like this from you yet. Looks very...retro, and it's very attractive. Although I think you could make the border match better - the black puts off the lovely colors you've used here. Which brings me to the colors... I suppose the best description would be that they're clashing complements - very nicely chosen. It's very nice how they're different and splashy (<-- this is not the right word, but I can't think of another one) enough to catch the eye, while at the same time not blindingly bright. Very complimenting to your talent.

While I'm here, I really must just put in a word on your [B]collaborative piece with Sun[/B] - it is [I]absolutely wonderful.[/I] Everything about it is so impressive. I adore the strokes of color in the middle, and the words are exquisite; I especially like the slightly bolder 'one thousand' that you included. Just one thing...you must definitely change the style/colors of your names at the bottom. They're cute, but don't fit.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hehe well your about the only reason I come on OB... I check your thread and thats about all. I've been quite busy so you know.

Systematically Losing the Knack: I love the simplicity of the image once again. As I Leonardo Da Vinci said simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. But this seems to be a little cluttered? Its very nice but it does not have the feel of the rest of your pieces.

Ill get right on the other later.. Im heading to bed

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]I just wanted to drop by to say that your Banner and Avatar are great. I like the idea of the city signs. The tokyo feel you gave to it, works really well. Fancy text aswell.

Go you, it did not hurt my eyes! I love it! :3[/size]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]I just wanted to drop by to say that your Banner and Avatar are great. I like the idea of the city signs. The tokyo feel you gave to it, works really well. Fancy text aswell.

Go you, it did not hurt my eyes! I love it! :3[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I do agree. I was admiring the sexiness of you're current avatar/banner set aswell.

[b]Idioteque - Zentheque -[/b] I'm not sure about this; it tends to remind me of Christmas, so its fun. Although I too have no idea what it means, but the design is fantastic non the less.

[b]metaPHYSICS -[/b] I love this, but I don't like the blue text. It looks out of place to me, the color I mean. Aside from that it looks like something you'd find on a t-shirt. A dorky t-shirt. ;)

[b]Systematically Losing the Knack - [/b]A simple term used in a techy way, most interesting. But I'll have to agree with Cyriel & Ima with this. It had great potential, but what you have here seems cluttered, yet too much white space.

Now; post more! :D[/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
[size=1]In case people have been wondering where Retri has gone, here's some info on what's been going on with me.

So, I bought FFXI, and that game was pretty addicting, so I stopped really using the computer for much aside from the game. But soon after, I realized that I needed to buckle down on my studies - so I stopped using the computer for anything by academic purposes during the weekdays. On the weekends, I checked up on OB, but no topics really struck my fancy.

During all of this, my graphics became really, really stagnant. I don't have any inspiration, although I have been keeping my skills [relatively] sharp with little doodle bits.

Please, don't think that I've died, or that I'm giving up graphics! I'm just going to be working overdrive on this bloody Broadway piece (*verbally shakes fist at Dagger*). I want to give Baron a run for his money, at the very least. Expect my best.

So feel free to IM / PM me, because it's really great just shooting the breeze with you OBers. I'll probably post more work this Thanksgiving Break.[/size]

Fixed the size tag for ya. ;)

[quote name='Retribution][size=1'] I'm just going to be working overdrive on this bloody Broadway piece (*verbally shakes fist at Dagger*).[/size][/quote]
*breaks into song* "There's no business like show business / Like no business I know..."

Haha, anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what the two of you come up with for that particular theme. Enjoy your Thanksgiving break, and all that.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]I've given up keeping an index... for now, I'll just be posting images for you to critique.

I'm also asking that everyone post what they [i]don't[/i] like, rather than highlighting the awesome parts. I want to improve, and I've got a long what to go for what I've got in mind.

As for the sudden dive back into abstractions, well, click [url=http://penpen.se/tagmonkeynew/index.php][b]here[/b][/url] to see why.

[b]Valiant[/b] [1, 2, 3][/size]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/bubbles.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/bubbles2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/bubbles3.jpg[/IMG]

The bottom version is too pale & monochromatic for my tastes. The top version is somewhat better, but still not very eye-catching. If his skin were white/lighter instead, it might be more appealing... I can't totally picture that, though, so I dunno. Something to introduce more contrast, I guess, and make him seem like the focal part rather than an element of a background intended to set off a foreground object that isn't actually there. Er, assuming that makes sense.

As for the middle version, the coloration in the circled areas is distracting and looks like a mistake:

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24899&stc=1[/IMG]

(Sorry, the image degraded when I saved it, but you can look at those areas on the original to have an idea of what I'm indicating.)

The stroke effect around his outline is a little too blunt--it would have a more sophisticated effect if it were subtler or at least more spread out.

Hope that helps.

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]Well I must agree with Dagger on the "Bad" Portions of the image.

[B]1:[/B] I for one think it's decent. This doesn't seem to be a normal Retri image, it seems to be rushed. The BG is nice and the text seems to be well placed, however, I dislike its blandness.

[B]2:[/B] The color effects added seem to be weird and out of place. The overall feel is nice but there are some rough spots.

[B]3:[/B] Out of all of them this is my favorite. I, for some reason, am attached to this one. It just gives me a weird feeling. Colors are nice and neutral and I cannot seem to find any real discolorations.

Overall they seemed to be rushed and a little sloppy for you.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
[size=1]Thank you Dagger, Ima. I really appreciate your critique. Could I get some more? ;_;

[b]antiart[/b] - Trying to make art look ugly.
[url]http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antiart9el.jpg[/url]

[b]Archetype[/b] - A study of psychology.
[url]http://img488.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mindcontrol8am.jpg[/url]

[b]Failure [1, 2, 3, 4][/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/sasukeblue1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/sasukeblue2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/sasukeblue3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/sasukeblue4.jpg[/IMG][/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/mechinfinity/girl1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/mechinfinity/girl2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/mechinfinity/girl3.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

i say the text position of 3 with the graphic style of two...

the white blank area on three disrupts your the sakura image... maybe if u cut it off a couple pixles before and after reaching sakura with some feathering it would look better... oh well

did u draw the girl yourself or did u grab from a source... it's an awesome pic and an excelent banner style nonetheless...

i

[SIZE=1]Well it's been quite a long time since I've been here. I come and check on this thread and that's about all.

Failure [1, 2, 3, 4]: This is for all of them

The text is is placed quite nicely, I love how it sticks out.

Failure: The images seem to be just a deeper/darker-brighter/lighter feel.

All the images, above his hair, have a crispy looking outline. Also, the left arm(Right if you look at the image) seems to jut out and be misplaced.
EDIT: Some of his hard seems to be a little boxy also.

The first being my favorite being as it shows the most detail to the character and the background.

I would like to know if you actually did the whole image or just added text and did some coloration.

Other than that the image is as usual amazing and a real piece of art.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Thanks, chaps. Try and be harsher with me on the feedback... so far, the only improvements (if any) I've made have been from trying to mimic styles I like. And that's a road I don't want to take.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/set.jpg[/IMG]

It's what I made my current avatar and banner set out of. I made the large image, and tried to find something interesting to crop out of them.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Well as usual Retri it's quite nice.

The image really does speak for itself. Very nice like always.

I love the simplicity of the image and how it flows, and the colors are perfect.

I really love it when you get away from very complex images. You seem to capture the simple things quite well.

The Cuves add a nice overall feel to the image.

As always nice :P

I might have a theme for you from one of my most favorite songs :P
If you don't feel like doing anything it's fine just to get somthing going ^_^

The Clash - Police on my back -- is the song

[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]First and foremost, I'd like to thank BanditJing for inadvertantly reminding me of my very, very old FFX AMV tribute.

So [b][url=http://www.youtube.com/w/?v=CDxUMPjBt0g]here[/url][/b] is the link. Tell me what you think of it -- I'm looking for effective critique here, and I'm hoping that I can enjoy this medium as much as my still one. (Wow, that sentence was awkward).[/size]

[COLOR=#790A43][SIZE=1]Lovely.

I gotta hand it to you, Chief: I'm loving the selection of clips, especially the Kilika send-off scene. Amazing how Yuna's footsteps keep the same pace as the song's rhythm! [i]Hiiro no Tsuki[/i]'s definitely a lot more memorable than whatever score it was that Squenix used in the game. Mmm hmm.

The latter part of the video looks a bit rushed though. While the timing of transitions in the first part was nigh-perfect, everything after the Tidus/Zanarkand Stadium scene sounded a bit off with respect to the music. Especially the last scene where their ship flies off. Maybe you could cut the volume of them game sounds, just to give the ending a sense of conclusion (with the song ending quietly and all ^^).

[b]8/10[/b]
Trust Arai Akino to make everything sound better! *thumbs up*[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[size=1]Thanks, Delta (stop changing your name! :3) for the comment. Sorry to everyone who enjoys my work for not updating in such a long time. I sort of lost the drive to produce art, as well as the time to do so with the extra schoolwork I've been recieving.

I found it within myself to squeeze this one out -- tell me what you think. I seriously need help on it. [url=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/herglare.jpg][b]Click here.[/b][/url]

In addition, I made a funny little map of the future United States. Tell me what you think -- it's supposed to be a humor picture, rather than high art. [url=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/usa.jpg][b]Click here.[/b][/url][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]For the first picture I like the text running down the right side. I also like the word silentwar though I don?t care for it being placed right against the edge of the picture. Seems like it needs to be moved to the left just a little.

Have you tried putting text along the right side like you did on the left? I like the overall feeling to the picture but I don?t care for the background on left side. Its just comes across as empty space.

That map is too funny! ^_^ Looks like I?ll need to move before the changes take place. [/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[size=1]Thanks, SunfallE.

So, I whipped this baby up after looking at alot of typography -- basic letterhead and such. I decided I'd take that sort of format, but put my own spin on it. The result is something that'd never be letterhead, but it's cooler than that boring stuff, too (I think, at least ;_;).

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/artistsunite.jpg[/IMG]

Critique it harshly, please. Thanks.

[b]EDIT (4/3/06):[/b] This is a serious bump, but amazingly enough, I'm only going to post one piece of art. If there's any replies at all, then I'll keep posting my art, however, if there's no interest, I'll stop wasting my time.

This is an experimental piece, and I'm pleased with how it came out. The text is admittedly weak, though. It's a wallpaper for my desktop resolution, fyi. Critical critique is wanted. Thanks in advance.[/size]

[URL=http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=displacebottles6mb.jpg][IMG]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/696/displacebottles6mb.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]