OtakuBoards

Boondock saints-cult movie or not?

Viper0529

I watched the movie Boondock Saints (directed by Troy Duffy) about three monthes ago. I absolutly fell in love with this movie, and I begged my friend to lend it to me. Eventually, he bought it for me, and I have been obsessed with the movie ever since. One night, however, my friend saw the movie and he called it a "cult" movie and it was horrible. It goes without saying that he is not my friend anymore. But anyway, it always bothered me that he called it a cult movie.
Has anyone ever seen Boondock Saints? and if so, do you think it is a cult movie?

Calling it a cult movie seems accurate, honestly. That's usually used to describe films that don't have mainstream popularity, but still have a smaller, strong following (hence the "cult") part. There's lots of movies that fit into this category, as do many of my favorites.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I've never thought of it as a "cult" film before, but now that i do think about it, it does make sense. In absolutely no way am i saying its bad though, i think its a great movie.

Besides, cult movies arent bad. Another fav would be Donnie Darko, or SLC Punk...[/COLOR]

Well, before I start, I don't really think you should base friendship on whether or not someone likes a movie, but that's just me, heh. Assuming that he didn't like the movie, of course (when you say "it was horrible", is that what he thought, or what you thought of his comment about it being a cult movie?).

I have seen Boondock Saints, and.. well, it's probably my favorite movie of all time. lol I have it on DVD, and I must have seen it, literally, 30 times at the very least (kinda sad, eh?). It's just one of those movies that never seems to get old.

So from someone who loves it, yeah, I'd agree with everyone else and would have to say that it is pretty much a cult movie. It came out under the radar because of Columbine, so it's popularity is mainly due to word of mouth. Obviously it has a following - it's Boondock Saints! - but it never got into the mainstream, which sucks since so many more people would have seen it, but that doesn't make "cult" a bad category.

Wow, it's been ages since I saw this film.

I'm not sure why you (meaning the original poster) would be offended by the suggestion that Boondock Saints is a cult movie. Unless you were trying to say that your friend told you it was a cult movie and also said it was horrible, or that he thought it was horrible because it seemed like a cult movie. Your original sentence is sort of unclear, heh, and just left me with the impression that you think the term "cult movie" is some kind of awful insult. Which it isn't.

~Dagger~

I saw this movie about two years ago and was unimpressed for the most part. everyone who recommended it to me said that it's like Resevoir Dogs or Sntach & Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. But it really falls short in comparrison to films like those. Although it did have some funny moments, the action was fairly uninspired and the ending was pretty stupid. also seeing Willam Defoe crossdress made me want to throw up. but getting back on the subject, i would have to agree that it is more of an underground cult film. it never really had much mainstream success.

[quote name='QuincyArcher']I saw this movie about two years ago and was unimpressed for the most part. everyone who recommended it to me said that it's like Resevoir Dogs or Sntach & Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. But it really falls short in comparrison to films like those. Although it did have some funny moments, the action was fairly uninspired and the ending was pretty stupid. also seeing Willam Defoe crossdress made me want to throw up. but getting back on the subject, i would have to agree that it is more of an underground cult film. it never really had much mainstream success.[/quote]Eh, I think I would put my list as..

Boondock Saints
Lock, Stock
Snatch

..and Resevoir Dogs really doesn't even compare, for me. Lock, Stock was good, it was awesome, in fact, but I felt it just didn't hit me quite as hard as Boondock Saints did. Of course, it's all subjective, so some may like it and some might not. I thought that the action was just really good, and for lack of a better word, [i]cool.[/i] The ending was great because it was the first time that the brothers were coming out and showing themselves to the public, telling everyone to watch their backs, and leaving it open for a sequal.