OtakuBoards

Children That Are Smarter Than Their Parents

Sinistra

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Palatino Linotype]I was watching Blue Collar TV's Jeff Foxworthy in his special: Totally Committed. And he mentioned that his kids are so much smarter than he is.

This got me thinking about my own family, and I've noticed that a lot of the members of the younger generations are definitely smarter than the older ones. Now, only a few of my family members have actually gone to college, I will soon be one of them. But, being older and posessing a little more knowledge than my mother, I have to help out a lot more with my little brother's homework. She relies on me to do a lot when it comes to things like that.

My mom always tells me that she hopes that I never make the same mistakes as she did. Dropping out and not going back to high school. She did get her GED, but she desperately wishes that she could have gone to college.

But I know I'm not the only one, so speak up. Are you smarter than your parents, or any other older family member at all? If so, are there any other particular responsibilities that you have had to take up?

(My curiousity got the better of me for once.)[/FONT][/COLOR]

My parents are geniuses, and yet they sometimes admit that Im smarter than them, (although my mom has her IQ scores to back up that she's smarter than me.) I have way more responsibilities. Both of my parents work so I have to babysit my two little brothers. I get paid enough, but god it sucks.

Remember the saying, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? Don't forget that when you answer this question! :p

In some ways I feel like I am smarter than my parents, but I am also smart enough to know that in life experiences they are far wiser than I am. My mother didn't go to college and my dad went to trade school, he later took over the family farm. My brother and I both continued our education and went to college and that was from the support of my parents. They always wanted more for us than they had for themselves.

When it comes to the English language, computers and other electronics I am far ahead of my parents. When it comes to things like raising a family, the Japanese language and farm management they are far and away more knowledgeable than I will ever be. I know they don't really understand how the internet works or even how to turn on a computer, but they are wise in other areas of life.

As for picking up extra duties because of my parents' lack of knowledge one thing I can think of off the top of my head is their answering machine. I recorded the message on the machine since they didn't know how to work it. When it finally died they bought a new phone/answering machine. They didn't know how the new digital machine worked so that is where I stepped in. They were really excited over caller ID too, it was actually kinda cute to see how excited they got every time the phone would ring and they could announce who it was calling! It's funny, my dad loves getting all these new electronic toys but I, or my brother, have to explain how to use them.

Parents, just gotta love them. :love:

Well, sometimes its easier for a child to be smarter then their parents in some ways because of the advance in technology. Its a lot easier to get a hold of information then it was back then (at least for my parents). With computers, internets, cell phones, its easier to communicate and learn more at a faster rate. This also comes into play in schools and such. With all the materials we've aquired over the years learning is a lot easier and less stressful. Rather then tediously reading through books you can just type what you want on thei nternet and do a search.

However, I don't believe I'm smarter then my parents when it comes to common sense. They've been around a lot longer then I have and they've experienced a lot more then I have. Its easy to say I know more about computers, but when it comes to life itself I doubt I know even close to as much as them. Its sort of like, street smarts I guess.

[COLOR=GREEN]Well, as far as education atained, I've already passed up my father and my grandmother on my mom's side. My dad did finish high school, but never went to college. Also my older brother tried trade school for a little while after he graduated, but it didn't work out. In fact, I think I'm the first one from my father's side of the family to go to a traditional four-year university and really know what I'm striving for. My mom and her side all went to college, though. I know for a fact that I'm not smarter than my mother, and I don't think that will ever change.

But when you think about this question, you have to take into account the average education level of a generation. This has steadily increased on its own ever since the dawn of mankind. For instence, my grandmother only went to school through 8th grade, then got a job as a secratary. And as far as knoweldge of technology, that too will increase with time. Example: My mom sometimes has trouble with the VCR timer and my camcorder, and my grandmother gets easily confused when trying to work the mouse on the computer. And in 30 or 50 years, our children and grandchildren will be making fun of us for not being literate in the technology of that time.[/COLOR]

I know that this is mean and unrelated, but I am weird about grammar and mechanics and just [i]must[/i] correct your title: it should be "Children [i]Who[/i] Are Smarter Than Their Parents".

Anyway, I've encountered this in my life many times. Though my parents are both very intelligent, I have met many children who are, or will definitely be one day soon, more intelligent than their parents, and really, all I can say is good for them.

[COLOR=DarkGreen]I am not trying to flaunt it or anything, nor say that I am in any way, shape, or form better than my father, but my literature is much better than my father's by far.

We've lived in San Antonio, Texas for about seven years and my father has picked up the "Texan accent" as most would call it. Thus, he speaks a lot like this:

Would you go and get them cats outta the yard?

And all that kinda stuff. It makes me frustrated sometimes how I want to correct my father for his "lack" of speech... but I still love my father. He's a such a good guy and cares a lot about us when we're not getting in trouble.

But my father is by far way smarter than me when it comes to Mathetical stuff. I've never been goof in math, but Geometry is pretty easy since it's also a bit logical.

My father's got the math and I've got the speech... it all works out in the end. xD[/COLOR]

Guest MarmaladeSkies
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Red]Hmmmmmmm. I'm smarter than both m'parents... They believe anime-liking is a phase, anime-drawing is a phase, cat ear-wearing is a phase, and worst of all....... BEATLE-LIKING is a phase!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! I'm also smarter than ALL of m'teachers. I"m not being pompous, I'm being realistic.....

Mariko?! Realistic?! It just doesn't add up!!!![/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Palatino Linotype][QUOTE]I know that this is mean and unrelated, but I am weird about grammar and mechanics and just must correct your title: it should be "Children Who Are Smarter Than Their Parents".[/QUOTE] I figured that out after I put up the thread, and I don't think it's mean at all...but when you're running on three hours of sleep, I'm sure that you too, would make such a minor mistake.

As Panda and x kakashi x have mentioned, with today's technology, it would be so much easier to get information because of the internet and what not. Nowadays, parents have to make sure that their kids aren't seeing [I]too[/I] much.

But my mother and I aren't that far apart in years to the point where it would have much effect. We, in fact, are only sixteen years apart. The reason she did drop out was to give birth to me. She is smarter than me when it comes to the "street smarts", but she always believes what matters more is the education we recieve in school. We've both went to the same school, even had some of the same teachers.

One of my teachers held me after class one time and told how much smarter I was than my mom, and that we were complete opposites. He told me that he never did expect my mom to go to college, and felt that I should strive to get into an Ivy League school.

I didn't know whether to hit him or say thank you for that half insult/half complement comment. I just walked out without a word. I didn't like what he said about my mother.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Like others have said, it depends on the situation. With most things related to technology, I'm smarter than both of my parents. I know how to run through technology and figure out problems without having any but the most basic of knowledge of the situation aside from the rescources set in front of me.

On the other hand, my parents are better with most life skills, like job hunting. If I had listened to mom, I would have got a job much sooner.

my parents are smarter than me in a few subjects like math, history, and language arts. im the only one in my family who is learning spanish so my mom wants me to teach my brother. i also have more knowlge when it comes to sports and the computer or any thing to do with electronics. every member in my family has gone to college, my couzin will be the first not to go.

It isn't hard for a child to become smarter thatn their parents, as wether they mean to or not, they pass on what they know to their children, wwho build on that knowledge.

I.Q sometimes can't measure what a person knows though (according to some website i found), but i think that this is a load of crap. IQ is the way to go.

My point was, if you put me and my parents out into the world with the same amount of cash, they'd do better. They have more people skills, more experience in the work place, more knowledge of the world. I'd be lost without the stable environment they provide for me. I think its easier for kids to sit back and say how smart they are while they're in the house they don't pay for, typing on the computer they didn't buy, and sitting in the chair thats not their's. An environment that has been the same or close to it for years. How could they compare themselves to someone whos been out in the world and had to deal with real life problems, such as money. When I say this, I'm referring to the economic and living standpoint. Some people might have gone through a lot more then an average teenager has, I know I have, but that doesn't make us any more talented or special in the real world.

Well, while my older family members, including my parents, surpass me in life experience...

I would say that I am more educated and tech saavy. Most of my older family members never had the opportunity to go to college, everyone in my generation has. My older cousin is in college now, to get his BA. I completed two years of technical school, and my younger cousin went to technical school too, though he dropped out. (It just wasn't for him, or so he says. Maybe one day he will go back.)

As for technology...Of course we know more than they do. We've grown up around computers, cell phones, and a myraid of other gadgets. This is where more responsibility comes in. In my household, I am the person everyone runs to when they can't get the computer, DVD player, VCR, or cell phone to work. However, none of this really bothers me. They've learned a lot since the dawn of technology, and I don't have to deal with possessed DVD players very often. ^^

[COLOR=#FF5646][SIZE=1]If smarts were based on IQ points, then I am pretty sure I'm the smartest human our line has ever spawned. Though that implies that, yes, our gene pool desperately needs IQ points, I'd be the last person on earth to call my kinspeople "dumb". They've got a lot of active brain cells, my folks.

My parents are waaay smarter than me. It's healthy to be around them; my brain's never idle and I get to learn stuff about literature and (gasp!) philosophy. One time, my mum blurted out an equation while she was watching me do my Calculus homework and it was the exact thing I needed.

My mum scares me.[/SIZE][/COLOR]