OtakuBoards

Horror at it's finest

Shuiri

[Font=Garamond] [Color=Red] Just recently I viewed, and bought, some of the best horror films I've seen in a long time. One of them actually managed to scare me silly, and the others provided a slightly unnerving tale - - Which were still great.

They go as follows:

Jacob's Ladder~ A huge inspiration for the Silent Hill series, and quite possibly the scariest film I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. [I hardly get scared, so getting frightened a bit was surprising] It gets a bit weird, but it's worth it.

May~ Slowly drifts from a black, romantic comedy to straight out 'gory' horror. While I said horror - - I only said that because that's what it's considered. I found it to be more of a subtle, disturbing film. Which takes a brief turn for the worse as it goes.

The Shining~Nice little film by Stanley Kubrick. A slow descent into madness, and quite a funny one at that. It's supposedly scary, as proclaimed by dozens of other people..

Session 9~ A decent pychological horror film. While a bit slow at times, it proved to be incredibly entertaining. For me, at least.

Seven~ While I wouldn't consider it outright horror, it's still a great pychological thriller in it's own right.

Try watching a few of these films in the middle of the night, with no one home, lights off, and the sound up insanely high. Much fun.

What films do you think are terrifying?

[/Font] [/Color]

Horror films don't really shock or scare me they might make me jump at bits!

Mostly films that usally distrub me yet i love are films like Ichic the killer :animestun

Though a film called audition I found freaky and one film I haven't watched in years was cat people the 1942 one what scare me was you never saw the moster

[COLOR=DarkRed]I don't ussually get very scared from horror movies, but i love them all the same. The most recent i saw was [B]Saw[/B], which actually freaked me out for the night after i saw it. It's one of my favorite movies.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Shuiri][Font=Garamond] [Color=Red]The Shining~Nice little film by Stanley Kubrick. A slow descent into madness, and quite a funny one at that. It's supposedly scary, as proclaimed by dozens of other people..[/Font'] [/Color][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Oh man, i know just what you mean. I mean The Shining was a good movie and all, but my dad says that it's the scariest movie ever, but i just don't think so. It's just like you said, cool, even funny at times, but scary? Not really. Maybe a little towards the end, but it wasnt really enough. The Simpsons halloween parody of it was hilarious though! You have to see the movie to understand most of the refferencces.[/COLOR]

Hmm.. Never watched Jacob's ladder and Session 9, but the rest rings a bell ^^

I found May to be 'different' .. I wouldn't consider it horror, but as you said, it couldn't be put in another genre.. great movie though!

The Shining was not as scary as I thought it'd be.. but still quite good.

Se7en was also not really horror.. more psychological thriller indeed.. but it's also a great film (BTW, Eight, the sequal is coming up.. Too badI suspect it's gonna be crap)

Someone mentioned Saw in this topic?
Saw is my favourite movie of all times! I just love how it's all set up.. and the traps and all.. the plot is also really great.

Anyone saw Dead End? Very funny, yet scary horror movie about a family in a car who make a wrong turn.. and end up being murdered one by one ^-^

I love horror movies, but, like most horror lovers, rarely get scared by them. The most uneasy a movie ever made me was White Noise of all things (which is strange, because it's not the most remarkable movie out there). I most recently saw the new version of the Amityville Horror, which I thouroghly enjoyed though it wasn't really scary at all, and Excorcist: the Beginning, which I really deeply enjoyed. As far as Saw goes, I absolutely loved it (the storyline was brillirant), but the acting was downright [I]horrible[/I]. Other than that, it was awesome. I also have to mention The Ring, which seems to be hated because it got so popular, but I absolutely love that movie. I thought it was very well done, and although it's based on an older movie, I thought it was fairly fresh and creative. And finally, The Cell. I know it's not really considered true horror perse, it somehow always creeps its way into the genre. It was an awesome movie and was very, very original, not to mention artistic.

[font=comic sans ms][color=mediumblue]Of all the ones mentioned so far, I would have to say that [i]The Cube[/i] was the one that seemed the hardest for me to define...it wasn't scary as much as it was...oddish in a disturbing yet familiar way. And it's an interesting thing for anyone with any psychological issues to watch.

[i]Jacob's Ladder[/i] - now [b]that[/b] was a horror flick. Especially the ending. It was an excellent movie, and I love it even though I only watched it once...

I didn't enjoy [i]The Ring[/i] all that much...but I think it's because I found [i]Ringu[/i] (original Japanese film) to be much more disturbing. There is a subtle connection between the language of mathematics and communicating with the dead that struck me on a subconscious level.[/font][/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I was also wondering if anyone else also liked "B" horror movies. Many of which are downright hilarious. My absolute favorite B horror is the whole "Evil Dead" series, consisting of [B]Evil Dead[/B], [B]Evil Dead Pt. 2[/B] (the first was actually meant to be a true horror, but it was so awful it was more funny than anything else, so the creators redid it with Pt. 2, which was meant to be a comedy more than horror), and of course the final chapter, [B]Army of Darkness[/B]. Other greats are [B]Robot Monster[/B], [B]Plan 9 From Outer Space[/B], [B]They Saved Hitler's Brain[/B] and some more that i can't remember right now. For any Futurama fans, the thing they have with famous people's heads in jars... that came from "They Saved Hitler's Brain."[/COLOR]

28 Days Later has to be the scariest movie I've ever seen. The 6th sense plays a close 2nd, although I was only in the 6th grade when I saw it.

I absolutely hated The Ring and The Others.

Although that's probably because I find an atmosphere of isolation to be very eerie. And 28 Days Later did a great job of that in the first few scenes.

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Well I havent seen many horror films as of yet but I might look into them in the future. I have seen most of the one's this past halloween when me and my friend decided to scare oursleves. Sufice to say I wasn't scared but I still had a good time(maybe cuz I was talking and being annoying most of the movie, but I don't do that anymore, only during my first couple films). I wasn't really scared by [B]Saw[/B], as a lot of people seem to be...

Well anyways, there needs to be a new horror film that is actually good. These new ones arent even funny like the B horror movies, they just suck. Like [B]White Noise [/B] or [B]Darkness [/B] or [B]Bogeyman[/B] or [B]The Grudge[/B]... the list goes on and on. I just stopped caring about them. I really hated the audiences for these movies too, they were just laughing the whole time and being loud and obnoxious.*sigh* I guess Ill have to turn to the classics, I just wish I could be scared in a movie theater where its really big and loud.[/COLOR]

I own [B]Saw[/B]. It's a great movie. I watch it over and over again.

[B]Army of Darkness [/B] was hilarious! I loved the graphics in it. It was downright hilarious!

[B]28 Days Later[/B] was the dumbest, stupidest movie I ever saw. I was expecting it to be a great movie about people gettin hacked and slashed but it ended up bein one guy trapped n a world of zombies..I've seen that type of scenario too much..

I've been wanting to see [B]White Noise[/B]. It never came to our theatre so I'm waiting to buy it.

[B]They[/B] was a freaky movie...for me anyways because it is all about night terrors and I had those for years when I was younger. Every time I fell asleep as a kid my eyes would be wide open and I'd start screaming for my life because there was a shadowy figure after me and my mom would always have to try n wake me up while this is going on in my head... so thats why that movie freaked me out.. brought back baaad memories.