OtakuBoards

Lost

Manic Webb

[QUOTE=Mike McColgan[color=navy][size=1]I tagged your posts for you. Like Shin said, spoiler tags are common courtesy. Speaking personally, I started watching Lost on DVD well after the first season had already finished airing. At that time, I know I'd have been most unhappy to run across spoilers because a poster assumed that everyone else was fully caught up with the show.

- Dagger[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

If you don't want to be told what happens, then why go into a thread dedicated to the show? It's like going to a book club meeting but not leting people talk about the book because you haven't read it and don't want it ruined.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mike McColgan']If you don't want to be told what happens, then why go into a thread dedicated to the show? It's like going to a book club meeting but not leting people talk about the book because you haven't read it and don't want it ruined.[/quote]
That analogy fails, bud. ;)

Spoiler tags don't do anything do end the conversation. Why exclude people who come to a particular fandom a little bit later than others? And what about when the show ends, a few years down the line? Shall we make it dangerous for those who discover it after the fact to glance over the discussion? There's no reason that people shouldn't be able to safely post about the experience of watching the series [i]as[/i] they watch it, instead of waiting until they're 100% caught up. At any rate, using spoiler tags takes maybe two seconds of your time.

But since this isn't on topic, please PM me if you want to continue talking about spoilers. Thanks.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
Another good episode last night.

The stuff with Juliet, Ben and Jack is the most intriguing part of the show for me. [spoiler]Right now there are two schools of thought concerning her actions: She's working with Ben and doing this to trick Jack or she really is working to kill Ben. Personally, based on what we've seen of Juliet, I'm going for the latter. I really think she's aiming for a good old fashioned coup d'état here. Whether she'll actually help Jack is something else entirely... if she knows how, I suppose she'll try to get him off the island as quickly as she can; otherwise, Jack could potentially be a liability for her. It wouldn't be pretty if the Others found out her plot, because I'm sure there are plenty of Ben-loyalists around.

I'm also interested in what kind of leader Juliet would actually be. She's definitely been portrayed as crafty and manipulative thus far (as has Ben), and she's got a cold, "do whatever it takes" side to her, as well, as pointed out by Sawyer to Kate after Juliet put a gun to Kate's head. I sincerely doubt that the Others would become peaceful toward the survivors with Juliet at the helm.

But this all depends on Jack actually [i]helping[/i] Juliet, and I'm on the fence as to whether he'll actually do it or not. On the one hand, he definitely wants to get the hell off the island - it's the goal of [i]all[/i] the survivors, after all. On the other hand, Jack is a pretty loyal guy, and I'm not sure how comfortable he'd be ditching Kate and Sawyer, not to mention everyone else. And, when the time actually comes, could Jack really kill Ben? Jack is all about saving people; it's an obsession. We'll see whether that obsession outweighs his desire to get off the island.

If he [i]does[/i] kill Ben, though, I doubt we'll see him get off as clean as Juliet would like. Hell, maybe some of the more perceptive (or paranoid lol) Others would suspect foul play (even though, as Juliet said, the surgery is very risky and complicated). I think that it would be interesting if Jack had to make a quick escape from the Others' HQ and also had to take Juliet with him.

Also, the mourning process for Eko beings now. :( It was actually a nice send off for him, I thought. The image of a younger Eko walking off into the sunset with Yemi was especially poignant. I like that the episode showed that Eko was not perfect: There are some grumblings that Eko was wildly out of character, but I would disagree with that. Eko's tried hard to stay true to his new life, to stay true to his religion, but he was not Yemi. He's always had those nagging doubts about doing immoral things that may lead to good: He killed those Others to protect himself (though I guess that was pre-conversion); he beat the crap out of Michael, Jin and Sawyer to protect the tailies; he knocked out Locke and forcefully dragged him into the jungle to show him what needed to be shown; and so on.

Eko didn't choose 'evil' by remaining unrepentant or something equally ridiculous like I've seen suggested by various people. In his mind, he was doing what needed to be done to help people. He's a good person who, unfortunately, had to resort to bad means to help people.

The smoke-monster itself is a bit more interesting now, since it has a different appearance to different people... we saw it as Eko saw it, but apparently when Locke looked upon it, it was like a bright, white light. Maybe it's symbolic of how reconciled each is with his faith? Locke was totally faithful when he first saw the monster, and I would imagine that it would look the same to him now; Eko was still probably struggling deep down with his faith during the times he saw the monster. It's also interesting that the monster is acting as a judge of sorts - an extension of the Other system of naming "good" and "bad" people. Eko [i]was[/i] on the 'bad' list the first night, right?[/spoiler]

Whew. That's a lot to think about lol. I'll leave with one last note: Paolo and especially Nikki = teh sux. Paolo is a bit less annoying than Nikki because of [spoiler]the bathroom thing[/spoiler] (that was funny), but then he went right back to being annoying when he tried to emulate Sawyer with the whole, "Yeah let's get out of here now lol" thing. Nikki is just blah. [spoiler]"Hey, let's try using the monitors to look at the Others! I'm sure nobody has thought of [i]that[/i] before! Tee hee!"[/spoiler] plz die

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I wish I had more to say. But I hash over each episode with my friend after we watch it, and then I have to call my mom about it, haha. So I get kind of burned out on Lost discussion before I come back here.

Nikki and Paolo are like Boone and Shannon, except without the [spoiler]quasi-incestuous hawtness.[/spoiler] :animenose I'm kind of dreading the prospect of an episode about them.

The last episode was pretty weak right up until the end. (Thanks a lot, Kate.) It really paled in comparison to [spoiler]Eko's episode.[/spoiler] The flashbacks were almost astonishingly pointless--I mean, they didn't tell us anything we didn't already know about the character. Maybe there's something big hidden in there that they couldn't reveal just yet? Or maybe not.

But I actually came away from the episode with a good feeling, because it's been a while since [spoiler]Jack did anything remotely cool.[/spoiler] The [spoiler]Sawyer/Kate[/spoiler] material is starting to get to me, though--I mean, I liked Sawyer's episode from earlier in this season, but just [spoiler]ditching the less appealing aspects of his character,[/spoiler] as the writers have been doing lately, is a little too convenient.

I'll be pretty upset if [spoiler]Benry[/spoiler] dies. I was on the fence about Juliet for a while, but now I'm becoming convinced that [spoiler]she's more dangerous, or at least more secretly psychotic. I don't know; it might just be me, but I find that her puzzling mixture of competence and vulnerability just seems really calculated.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

• 2 months later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrange]Time for the bi-annual resurrection of this thread!

I'm a new fan - learned everything I know about this show in the last month thanks to the library finally wising up and getting [i]current[/i] shows on DVD. So...yeah. I marathoned through the first two seasons in the space of two weeks, and now I'm being forced to wait, just like the rest of you poor people who have had to wait since...what, October?

Anyways. I'm really excited for the 7th, as it's [spoiler]supposed to be a Juliet flashback. I dunno - sometimes she creeps me out more than Ben does.[/spoiler]. The spoiler/foilers going around are starting to center and fixate on one of my favorite characters/half of my second-favorite pairing, so this whole season I'm going to be biting my nails. >>

I'm also a self-admitted Monster fangirl. So far, [spoiler]the only thing the monster has done that was [i]not[/i] cool was poor Mr. Eko. :([/spoiler]. I have a billion theories on what the thing is, and all I can say other than that is thank goodness nanobots have been debunked.

Consider this thread defibrilated.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
I had all sorts of fun theorizing to do about the latest episode... but then I was forced to watch Snakes on a Plane, and the remaining four brain cells in my head just withered away. Oh well. It's the best episode of the season so far, I think--stuff is really starting to happen.

The [spoiler]bus accident[/spoiler] scene shocked me; I guess I didn't hear the line that it was based off of, although I understood once it was explained. Anyway, it looks like [spoiler]Ethan was pretty well-fed and happy before he had to live on the island long-term, haha. I liked hearing his creepy greetings again.[/spoiler]

I assume that [spoiler]the dark-haired recruiter died in the past, if we haven't seen him in the present yet (unless he, er, lost an eye and decided to become a pirate.... naaah).[/spoiler]

Did you guys watch the long recap that came first? I caught the tail end of it--it was a nice refresher course in the series, actually. One of the people I ended up watching this episode with had never seen Lost before, so that was a pretty interesting experience. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrange][quote name='Dagger] Anyway, it looks like [spoiler]Ethan was pretty well-fed and happy before he had to live on the island long-term, haha. I liked hearing his creepy greetings again.[/spoiler'] [/quote]

I was hoping [i]so[/i] very bad to see more of him, but alas, I guess [spoiler]Creepy!ethan[/spoiler] will have to wait for someone else's flashback. Maybe [spoiler]Claire's episode? I really want to see the events in [i]All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues[/i] from her point of view - were she and Charlie drugged? If they weren't, did Ethan have help? Enquiring PB&J shippers need to know! [/spoiler] But when I read that [spoiler]The "First word will be hello, and it will be spoken by one of the most mysterious and menacing figures in the Lost 'verse," "ETHAN!" [/spoiler] was the first thing to come to mind.

[QUOTE=Dagger]
Did you guys watch the long recap that came first? I caught the tail end of it--it was a nice refresher course in the series, actually. [/quote]

I would have. I wanted to, because it had Desmond stuff. Plus The Two Headed Monster was hosting and they amuse me. D: But our TV was futzing.

[quote=Dagger] One of the people I ended up watching this episode with had never seen Lost before, so that was a pretty interesting experience. :animeswea
[/QUOTE]

Me and my sister [4815162342 to give her her board name. Obsessed? Perhaps] did that with our younger brother. And right after that we hit him with "Pilot I" and "Pilot II" and he's already thinking up theories. *is proud*

Speaking of theories and stuff though, [spoiler]The Room? Was creepy as almost anything I've seen on the show before. Poor Carl. And the clicking noises played under the music and the talking sounded like the numbers resetting down in The Swan, [i]and[/i] like a noise the monster makes.[/spoiler]

On a related note, [spoiler]Alex[/spoiler] is starting to become one of my favorite charaters. Smart-aleck-responses to Sawyer = win!

[B]ETA:[/B] Next week? [spoiler]DESMOND[/spoiler] FLASHBACKS EEEEEEE.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Haha, I knew right away that [spoiler]Edmund would be hit by a bus. It seemed like just the kind of thing the Others would pull. I had to stifle a laugh seeing the bus in the background during that scene raring to go lol.[/spoiler] I also figured that [spoiler]Juliet would ace Pickett. Immediately after he told Juliet that he knew Ben would rather die than let Sawyer and Kate escape, I knew he was a goner.[/spoiler] Sucks to be him, I guess.

Anyway, random stuff I liked:

- [spoiler]Tom's[/spoiler] awkward ice breaker to Jack was HILARIOUS. Jack's quick death stare in return was nearly as funny. It's amusing how [spoiler]Tom has become such a dope since Ben has been clearly established as the Others' leader. I swear, the transformation was instantaneous when Ben showed up at the dock in the season two finale, haha.[/spoiler]

- [spoiler]That creepy [i]A Clockwork Orange[/i]-esque room was crazy. I wonder if that's the type of thing Walt was subjected to when he got out of line or as part of an experiment.[/spoiler]

- More [spoiler]Alex~![/spoiler] <3 It's interesting to note how [spoiler]Alex has taken on some of the skills her mother possesses despite (I assume) having no contact with her. It's also interesting that Ben is considered her father; a Ben/Rousseau intermingling theory is tempting to think about, but for now I'll just assume that Ben adopted Alex as his own.[/spoiler]

Looking forward to next week's episode. [spoiler]HURRAH FOR DESMOND.[/spoiler]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][quote name='Shinmaru]Haha, I knew right away that [spoiler]Edmund would be hit by a bus. It seemed like just the kind of thing the Others would pull. I had to stifle a laugh seeing the bus in the background during that scene raring to go lol.[/spoiler'] [/quote]

At least he deserved it! What a jerk. >>

[quote name='Shinmaru]- [spoiler]That creepy [i]A Clockwork Orange[/i']-esque room was crazy. I wonder if that's the type of thing Walt was subjected to when he got out of line or as part of an experiment.[/spoiler][/quote]

The Rooooom. [spoiler]I want more Miss Klugh - she needs to explain things![/spoiler]

[quote name='Shinmaru]- More [spoiler]Alex~![/spoiler'] <3[/quote]

According to promo images, she's also going to be in Episode Nine. All I can say is a huge, resounding YES.

[quote name='Shinmaru]It's interesting to note how [spoiler']Alex has taken on some of the skills her mother possesses despite (I assume) having no contact with her. [/spoiler][/quote]

I thought the actress they chose was excellent, as well - in shadows, [spoiler]Alex[/spoiler] looks so much like [spoiler]Danielle[/spoiler] that it's not even funny.

I read an interview with Michael Emerson that makes me giddy for the rest of the season...

[spoiler][b]Interviewer:[/b]We know the show is focusing on the original Losties. But you're not going anywhere, are you?
[B]Michael:[/B] No, but I?m never going to be the same either. This thing in the operating room, it gets much worse. The whole sort of hierarchy of the world of the Others is about to be shaken. [B][I]There?s a power vacuum and new, even scarier characters coming.[/I][/B] But also, as you said, the show is going to move its focus back to the Lostaways.[/spoiler]

Why isn't it Wednesday yet? XD[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[i]How many dead philosophers does it take to get off an island?[/i]

Another awesome episode. Way too tired to recap. But man, does it ever suck to be Desmond. [spoiler]Amusingly, my friend who was watching Lost for the second time this week picked up on the Charlie plot twist way before anyone else did (although initially she thought it was Claire).[/spoiler]

Inquiring minds wish to know: [spoiler]was the fair-haired woman outside Jack's cage in the preview the same one who spoke to Desmond about his "sodding ring" during the flashbacks? Also, have we seen the dark-haired, younger woman who was talking to him through his cage before? The people next to me were muttering something about that, but I didn't get the chance to ask them to explain it.[/spoiler]

I like how Paolo and Nikki have basically vanished.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger]Inquiring minds wish to know: [spoiler'] Also, have we seen the dark-haired, younger woman who was talking to him through his cage before? The people next to me were muttering something about that, but I didn't get the chance to ask them to explain it.[/spoiler][/quote]

Yeah, we have. [spoiler]She's [url=http://gallery.lost-media.com/displayimage.php?album=814&pos=68]Cindy[/url], the stewardess. *glee!*[/spoiler]

And my brain is too fried to analyze right now, though I have some theories...

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't posted in a while--but that doesn't mean I haven't been watching. Actually, one of my good friends got sucked into season 3, so we were busy getting her caught up on the first two seasons and the fall stretch of season 3. Plus the DVD special features. :animeshy:

Tonight's episode rocked. I'm so glad Sayid got to be back in the spotlight again; he might be the only character on the whole show who has never gotten under my skin. Maybe there were hints about this earlier, but I was most surprised to learn that [spoiler]the Others were there [i]before[/i] Dharma. I had always gone on assuming that they were Dharma leftovers. The fact that Dharma actually came to the island later and developed an antagonistic relationship with them is very intriguing.

Although I shouldn't give much credence to the Others' constant protestations of being the "good guys," I do believe that Dharma must have been equally at fault for whatever happened between them. Moar information plz~~[/spoiler]

Favorite line: Sawyer [spoiler]asking Nikki who the hell she was. My sentiments exactly.[/spoiler] Looks like they're falling back on the ridiculous Sawyer subplots for comedy. Oh, well--it [i]is[/i] funny, so whatever. Speaking of which, I was kind of amused by how they hyped up last week's episode as the must-see episode of the season (via commercials and such), when it pretty much consisted of nothing but Sawyer nicknames. I mean, as fun and entertaining as that was, nothing actually happened plot-wise until this week.

And in the words of my newly addicted friend... :laugh:

[spoiler]Hatches: 0
Locke: 2

[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

• 1 month later...
Last night's episode was solid.

I really liked Juliet's flashback. It did a fantastic job of illustrating the slow emotional breakdown that's led her to being the cold person she is now; Juliet in Miami and Juliet on the island are [i]worlds[/i] apart. Especially effective were [spoiler]the scenes with Ben in the kitchen (Ben looked amazingly shaken up; he really was on the verge of panic after he found out about his spinal tumor) and in The Flame (Juliet's reaction to seeing her sister onscreen and the aftermath to that was heartbreaking... also interesting to finally know for sure the outside world is [i]well[/i] aware of the plane's disappearance).[/spoiler]

The main story was good too. The tension between [spoiler]Juliet and everyone else is great; I expect she'll eventually be accepted by everyone except Sawyer, Sayid, and Kate. (Sayid is, what, 4-0 now in betrayal predictions? I'm not so sure I wouldn't believe what Jack believes if I were him, but, still, Sayid's opinion has got to count for something at this point.) The twist was well executed as well - I definitely suspected that Juliet was working against the Tailies, but that didn't make the revelation any less impactful. The fact that it came after Jack said he saw it in Juliet's eyes that she wants to get off the island more than anything else is no coincidence to me - I don't doubt Juliet believes doing this is her ticket off the island.[/spoiler]

The little bit with the [spoiler]implant in Claire[/spoiler] is interesting, as well. I'm wondering if that implies [spoiler]Claire would have been completely cured of whatever affliction the island brings upon pregnant women were it not for that implant.[/spoiler] Hm. It's nice to get an answer to the questions of [spoiler]child stealing and why Claire was taken from the camp.[/spoiler] Also: [spoiler]You know poor Sun is going to be affected at some point; what makes it even more interesting is that the Others have no way of knowing about Sun's pregnancy. Sun isn't showing, and it certainly wasn't common knowledge before the plane crash - hell, [i]Sun[/i] didn't even know about it! Juliet will be getting a nice shock when she hears of this, I'm sure... it might even throw a monkey wrench into her plans, though if she helps Sun, she'll practically be a saint to Jin, haha.[/spoiler]

What say the rest of you?

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Oh yeah. Great acting from the lady who plays Juliet.

Here's what I'm wondering: [spoiler]would Claire have been afflicted at all if the Others hadn't touched her? After the surgery scene (I think), Juliet tells Ben that the problem is something that starts at conception. Maybe you're safe if you pass that stage before coming to the island.[/spoiler] Someone I was talking to also suggested that she [spoiler]might have been sent there to abduct Sun. I don't think it's impossible for them to be aware of the pregnancy--especially since Locke would have known about it.[/spoiler]

I really liked how the [spoiler]cancer, pregnancy and child abduction issues were tied together.[/spoiler] I hadn't been expecting much from this episode--the preview from last week made it look like another Jack The Great Leader love-fest. And I can't believe there are only five or so episodes left in the season... urgh. I bet they're going to stretch out the issue of [spoiler]Juliet's real plans/allegiances[/spoiler] until the very end. [spoiler]I like her better evil, though.[/spoiler] Those eyes...[/SIZE]

----------------------------------

Okay, someone tell me what the heck just happened. I can't have been the only one who shrieked at the TV. I don't even know how I feel anymore--delight, rage, insanity... argh! If this is just the end of one episode, I can't imagine what the season finale will be like. And the preview! :animestun

Overall, one of the best episodes in a while. But the Korean episodes are often a cut above the rest.

~Dagger~

It's funny how loud the [spoiler]purgatory[/spoiler] people got after the ending to this episode. Besides the fact that the [spoiler]purgatory[/spoiler] theory has been discounted several times by the show's producers, the ending of the Season 2 finale outright disproves it (unless [spoiler]Penny and the two scientists are [i]also[/i] dead, which, frankly, would be beyond retarded[/spoiler]). Right now, I'm leaning toward the whole deal being a [spoiler]massive cover-up by The Others - it's been shown throughout Lost that they clearly have the means and influence to execute something like this; it's to their benefit if the outside world thinks everyone on Oceanic Flight 815 is dead, anyway.[/spoiler]

Also, if what I'm reading is correct, the last thing Naomi (the parachutist) said to Mikhail was, [spoiler]"I am not alone." Mikhail dashed off in a nice little hurry after that... doesn't bode well for anyone besides Naomi who might have survived.[/spoiler]

Other random things:

- Hurley's always been funny, but, man, he's been on fire the last few weeks. The "Oops" after he fired the flare was funny, and his, "Like I'd tell you" to Mikhail after he blabbed about the radio transmitter cracked me up.
- Jin's dad is a great, great man. [spoiler]Jin's mom - not so much.[/spoiler]
- Watching Jin bust out the martial arts moves was fantastic.
- The episode's flashback is very interesting - [spoiler]in a way, Sun is responsible for Jin becoming one of her father's hired thugs, and Sun is clearly aware of what her father does, but when Jin came home a bloody mess in earlier (later, I guess lol) flashbacks, she seemed pretty upset, as if she had no idea what Jin was doing. One of the most subtle things the writers have done throughout Lost is introducing shades of grey to Sun.[/spoiler]
- Everything with Sun and Juliet was wonderful, especially when it was revealed that [spoiler]Jin is the father. YAY.[/spoiler]

I think Sun [spoiler]realized what she was about to put Jin through by using the money, but she might've hoped that he would find some way to resist... that he wouldn't turn out to be the kind of man who would kill for her father.[/spoiler] Even though he didn't, haha.

I love glaring, threat-dropping, kick-*** Sun. As my friend said: "Ain't no more herbs in this remedy!" :devil:

~Dagger~

Oh, ho, ho. A very interesting episode.

[spoiler]Things are going down in the Others' camp, indeed. Now we know that unhappiness with how Ben runs the show isn't limited to Juliet; at least a few people besides Richard Alpert are looking to Locke as someone who can achieve great things. Wouldn't it be interesting if Locke were to be thrust into Ben's position and suddenly he was in total opposition to the Survivors? In any case, these power struggles don't exactly make me confident that Ben will make it through the season...

And once again... Sawyer conned. Anthony Cooper's death scene was intense as hell; the flashes of anger in Sawyer's eyes when Cooper ripped up his letter were practically lightning bolts, haha. A nice, violent, chokey death is pretty much what Cooper deserved, though, again, this doesn't exactly make me confident that Sawyer will live to see Season 4. His central issue is resolved (at least partially... there's no way vengeance can magically heal years of maladjustment lol), he's oh so happy right now with Kate... he's ripe for a death, though maybe not before shooting another billion sperm or whatever through Kate again.

Most of the rumors I've been reading have the death toll before season's end pegged at five. That means it's time for speculation! Here's who I think might die:

- Charlie or Desmond: I thought that announcing Charlie's impending doom would actually work to keep him alive, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking he gets a noble death in the inevitable Survivor/Other confrontation. If Charlie doesn't die, however, I think Desmond bites the dust for working against fate a few too many times. Of the two, I'd rather see Charlie go.

- Ben: I think Ben will be the biggest casualty in the season finale. People are scorning his fertility work, Locke is definitely going to be butting heads with him, and if Ben's plot to snatch the pregnant women of the island falls through, then perhaps the unforgiving Jacob won't grant mercy to Ben.

- Sawyer: As much as it pains me to list him, I think there's at least a decent possibility he's a goner. :( With the tape in his hands, Sawyer will probably lead the charge against the Others along with Sayid, who never really trusted Juliet ever. Maybe Kate, too, but I hope not, because she sucks and she ****ing blabbed about the radio to Jack like 0.0000005 seconds after Sayid told her not to. The most perfect description of Kate I've read is that she's like a junior high gossip queen. Hahaha. Lord, I wish I could put Kate on this list instead. Anyway, one of our intrepid leaders will die, and I seriously doubt it will be Sayid.

- Jack or Juliet: I'm interested to know what secret Jack and Juliet are sharing, but for now I'm thinking Juliet's status as a mole and Jack's undying trust in her will put both their lives at risk. To me, Juliet seems more likely to die than Jack, and then Jack can mope about losing yet another woman. I like Jack and all, but man, that's getting a bit tiring. Just stop trying to make any connections at all, Jack; you and relationships just don't work out.

- I don't know who the fifth person could be. Tom? Jin? Sun? Uh... Tom instead of Jin or Sun? lol

Also, I can't post without mentioning that once again Hurley has topped himself with, "What the hell are [i]you[/i] doing?" and then trying to look cool after Sawyer says he's taking a leak by saying that's what he and Jin are doing, too. In a tent. Hahaha. Oh Hurley.[/spoiler]

I <3 spoilers.

I love Ben. [spoiler]If he dies, I will be very upset. He's so manipulative and shady, it's fantastic. And his hair keeps getting better and better. For some reason I kept thinking he was going to start beating Locke with his little cane...

The parallels between Locke and Juliette are interesting, considering that they are both in very similar situations. They're both from different camps, and they both seem to have some ulterior motives - Locke says that he's not infiltrating, but I don't think he's much of a team player, either. At this point I think Juliette is also just waiting for the right opportunity to screw Ben over. The difference is that she wants off the island and Locke wants everybody to stay. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.[/spoiler]

I don't really do much outside reading for Lost, although I think I want to start listening to those podcasts. But those [spoiler]death toll numbers are a little scary to me... hard to pick, too. I don't know that they could kill off Sawyer just yet. I think he's a little too popular - it would affect ratings too much. If he's going to die at all, it would be towards the end of the show, with some big heroic action that makes up for the years of conning or whatever.

I don't want Ben to die, but I could see it happen. Viva la revolution, and all that. Although I think that some of those deaths would also be in the other's camp - maybe Richard, since he seems so sympathetic to Locke.

And as a side note, Hurley is quickly becoming one of my favorites this season - too freaking funny. Especially when he goes to find Sayid and asks, "Can you keep a secret?" And Sayid just stares at him. Glorious![/spoiler]

I skim the spoiler thread at the TWOP forums from time to time, but all I've gleaned from it lately is the [spoiler]five deaths[/spoiler] hint that Shin mentioned. I was under the impression that it was [spoiler]"five deaths in May," though, so I'm counting Anthony Cooper as the first of the deaths. Here's a cursory list--not necessarily what I'll be showing my friends when we start our betting pool, but it reflects my thoughts at the moment.

- Anthony Cooper (for the reason mentioned above).

- I agree about Desmond and Charlie. I want to say Desmond, not because I dislike him, but because the only way I can see them getting any element of surprise out of Charlie's looming death is by having Desmond voluntarily die instead of him in some situation or another. However, I have to go with Charlie, because there's too much Desmond-related stuff that hasn't been resolved yet.

- Naomi. I have a feeling that she's not going to be long for the island.

- Mikhail. Second time's the charm? Alternatives: Cindy, Tom.

- Ben, though it pains me to type it. It seems like they've been setting Richard up as his replacement. I hope he keeps appearing in the past, a la Ethan.

I just don't think they'll kill off more than one of the core survivors. If I had my druthers, Jack would be a goner, plus Kate Blabby McBlabber Austen. But if I had to guess, I'd say that Jack, Kate, Locke and Sawyer will be basically untouchable until near the end of the series.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

Yay, more people posting in the Lost thread! Good to see you back, Megan. :)

[quote name='Arcadia']For some reason I kept thinking he was going to start beating Locke with his little cane...[/quote]

He's not House, you silly person. :p

[quote][spoiler]The parallels between Locke and Juliette are interesting, considering that they are both in very similar situations. They're both from different camps, and they both seem to have some ulterior motives - Locke says that he's not infiltrating, but I don't think he's much of a team player, either. At this point I think Juliette is also just waiting for the right opportunity to screw Ben over. The difference is that she wants off the island and Locke wants everybody to stay. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.[/spoiler][/quote]

You know, I never thought about this before. In a way, they're already being set against each other, since [spoiler]Locke gave Sawyer the evidence that will incriminate Juliet.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Dagger]I skim the spoiler thread at the TWOP forums from time to time, but all I've gleaned from it lately is the [spoiler]five deaths[/spoiler] hint that Shin mentioned. I was under the impression that it was [spoiler']"five deaths in May," though, so I'm counting Anthony Cooper as the first of the deaths. Here's a cursory list--not necessarily what I'll be showing my friends when we start our betting pool, but it reflects my thoughts at the moment.[/spoiler][/quote]

Hm, I never considered the [spoiler]five deaths[/spoiler] in that way. Doesn't really change my list much, though, since I wasn't really sure about [spoiler]who the fifth person to die would be...[/spoiler]

By the way, it's great that you're actually putting together a betting pool for this. We should put together one of our own and play for bragging rights. :animesmil

[quote][spoiler]- Naomi. I have a feeling that she's not going to be long for the island.[/spoiler][/quote]

That's a possibility. [spoiler]Considering the death toll is going to be so high, I suppose it would make sense for "upper-tier" characters to be one or two of the deaths, whereas the other deaths would be a level or two below them.[/spoiler]

[quote][spoiler]- Mikhail. Second time's the charm? Alternatives: Cindy, Tom.[/spoiler][/quote]

[spoiler]I hadn't thought about Mikhail dying; actually, I'm getting the feeling he'd be more likely to die than Naomi or Cindy. But I think Tom would be about as likely as Mikhail to bite the dust. Of the two, I'd rather Mikhail die, if only because Tom has become a hilarious parody of his former self ever since it was revealed that Ben is higher up in the food chain than he is.[/spoiler]

[quote][spoiler]I just don't think they'll kill off more than one of the core survivors. If I had my druthers, Jack would be a goner, plus Kate Blabby McBlabber Austen. But if I had to guess, I'd say that Jack, Kate, Locke and Sawyer will be basically untouchable until near the end of the series.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]I still think Sawyer is the most likely to die out of these four, but if he survives, I think the chances of these four surviving intact until close to the end of the series go up quite a bit.[/spoiler] We'll see. :P

[quote name='Dagger][spoiler']- Mikhail. Second time's the charm? Alternatives: Cindy, Tom.[/spoiler][/quote]
[spoiler]I'll miss the crazy Russian. The world needs more KGB references.[/spoiler]

[quote][spoiler]- Ben, though it pains me to type it. It seems like they've been setting Richard up as his replacement. I hope he keeps appearing in the past, a la Ethan.[/spoiler][/quote]
[spoiler]I hadn't quite thought about it like that, but now that you've said it, I agree - Richard is certainly being set up for something, that's for sure. If Ben does bite it, then, I wonder what new direction Richard will take the Others in, and what will happen to Juliette if the fertility issue is dropped? Now that Sawyer has the tape, she definitely won't be fitting in with the survivors, but I don't think the Others necessarily see her as integral part of their club, either.

I'm trying hard not to make any Survivor references here.... even though I just did.[/spoiler]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1]There's a crazyguy over at the Fuse who says that three of the five deaths are going to be [spoiler]Sayid, Kate and Ben[/spoiler]. Most of what he says makes an aweful lot of sense, enough that DarkUFO has him posted in the Rumors section.

If what crazydude is saying is true, however, the season finale will be The Coolest Thing Ever.

And at this moment the only people I would HATE to see bite it are Charlie, Hurley and Des. Charlie because it's far too predictable, Hurley because, yanno...he's Hurle, and Desmond because we need the guy with the accent made of pure win and cookies. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Oh man... I would really miss [spoiler]Sayid.[/spoiler] However, I would [i]gladly[/i] sacrifice both [spoiler]him and Ben[/spoiler] if it meant [spoiler]getting Kate out of the way[/spoiler] as well. :devil:

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=Dagger]Oh man... I would really miss [spoiler]Sayid.[/spoiler] However, I would [i]gladly[/i] sacrifice both [spoiler]him and Ben[/spoiler] if it meant [spoiler]getting Kate out of the way[/spoiler] as well. :devil:

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

I would miss [spoiler]Ben[/spoiler] more than [spoiler]Sayid[/spoiler] at the moment.

Apparently they've come to an end date on LOST: 48 more episodes after Season Three ends, split into three, 16 episode seasons. That means 4 months of the year we get back to back episodes of Lost.

It also means an [i]eight month break[/i] between seasons. This could be both bad and good. Lindelof ended with saying"the last five minutes of (this month's) finale are going to seal our fate." This both worries and excites me. It'd best have one heck of a jawdropper this time, if it's going to keep people talking and speculating for eight months...man, I'm gonna be 24 by the time this ends. That's a bizarre thought. Anyways.

Source: [url=http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2007-05-06-lost_N.htm?csp=34]USA Today[/url].

In other news, who can't wait for the [spoiler]Dharma based[/spoiler] flashback this week? [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Well, my friends have formulated their Death Lists. Ten names, in order from most likely to least likely; it goes from ten points if your top person dies to one point if your tenth person dies.

[spoiler]Everyone's top three is some combination of Ben, Charlie and Naomi. Juliet, Mikhail, Sawyer, Desmond, Kate, Tom and Sayid are the most common names below that. Dark horse guesses include Sun, Locke, Rousseau, Claire, Jack and The Baby.[/spoiler]

The endgame news (in regards to both the season & series finale) has me rubbing my hands in anticipation. I'm so glad we aren't going to have more episodes of the survivors puttering around the beach, "wondering what's going to happen next."

~Dagger~