OtakuBoards

Sun's Art Thread [Image Heavy]

Sun

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Thanks for everyone's comments and I'm sorry that I haven't been here to update or thank you guys for the past 2 weeks or so. Some of you may know that there is a "Man" on the loose. Stuart, Doc, and I have tried to recruit many people as we can to search for this "Man". And now Stuart and I have finally discovered who he is.

[U][B]Shippo/Surreal[/B][/U] is a very talented abstract artist. He was very involved in the OtakuBoard scene and he was the one who started to make us comfortable with GFX Battling. He was a good friend of mine, and I, along with many other people, truly enjoyed his work. We got note that he does still roam the Boards every once and awhile and we are on a search to find him. So anybody who has information about his where-a-bouts, or wants to help us with this search, please contact us!

This is where my banners come along. Stuart and I have matching banners that have the same message. "Join the search for Shippo". These banners are made by me so a crit. would be nice. Make note that you can also comment on my avatar also^_^

[B]
[U]Stuart's Banner:[/U][/B]

[IMG]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/1057/shippo4pe.gif[/IMG]
[B]

[U]My Banner:[/B][/U]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/my-banner.gif[/IMG]

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1]You found him? Sweet!

Well, it's great to see a new update, and the banners are awesome. The colors and the typography are really nice, and the animation is fluid.

The idea of matching banners is awesome, and I do love the smoothness rendered between the colors. No jagged edges and such. ^_^

The avi is nice. It compliments the banner, and keeps your anime lust present. My only question though, is where do you get such clear stocks? I mean... I have yet to find such a clear, and detailed stock as that.

But... I don't get one?
[/size]

[size=1]I can imagine he'd wish from some critique from you, but he does do some semi-commission work. He has designed some flyers and such for his uncles night club. ^_^

It is some very grade A stuff. Provacotive, stylized, and overall, professional. Sun is awesome.
[b]
EDIT:[/b] The flyers he posted below aren't the one's he's shown me... at least, Idon't think so.
[/size]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Hmm.. Now that you guys bring it up, i haven't posted much of my Flyer Art here. I made a flyer last minute tonight and i'm just going to post it here.

[B][U]Front:[/U][/B]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24299&stc=1[/IMG]

[U][B]Back:[/B][/U]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24300&stc=1[/IMG]

Take note that when dealing with designs that are going to be printed out, there is no need for border, and the resolution is enormously higher. I had to shrink the Image so it could be viewed. Enjoy.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][b]Front:[/b] Well, I'll start with the typography. "Social Butterfly" is more prominent than the club name, or "Labor Day Weekend," so it's really overpowering everything there. Make it smaller, or rearrange things, but that needs to be changed. The stock could be better -- I understand that looks are opinion, but you might want a *cough* hotter girl. As for the design, she feels out of place, probably leaning the wrong direction too. I dunno. And those bars on the left side would've looked good in theory, but now they look impeding for some reason. Sorry that I can't really pinpoint what's throwing this a bit off.

[b]Back:[/b] The pictures at the bottom are a good idea, but they're just pictures of people sitting around. Why not get shots of people dancing in the club and stuff, to show the life of the club? Anyway, the typograpic placement is pretty good, until I get to this red bar. I'd seriously take that red bar out, or make it significantly smaller -- I have to turn my neck to the side to read the rest, or at least concentrate harder. People don't like that. So give them what they want, lol. You might want to change the color of the bar from red to something lighter, so it's a graceful change from orange to yellow. Get me? Probably not.

Well, good luck with these.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1][b]Front:[/b] Well, I'll start with the typography. "Social Butterfly" is more prominent than the club name, or "Labor Day Weekend," so it's really overpowering everything there. Make it smaller, or rearrange things, but that needs to be changed. The stock could be better -- I understand that looks are opinion, but you might want a *cough* hotter girl. As for the design, she feels out of place, probably leaning the wrong direction too. I dunno. And those bars on the left side would've looked good in theory, but now they look impeding for some reason. Sorry that I can't really pinpoint what's throwing this a bit off.

[b]Back:[/b] The pictures at the bottom are a good idea, but they're just pictures of people sitting around. Why not get shots of people dancing in the club and stuff, to show the life of the club? Anyway, the typograpic placement is pretty good, until I get to this red bar. I'd seriously take that red bar out, or make it significantly smaller -- I have to turn my neck to the side to read the rest, or at least concentrate harder. People don't like that. So give them what they want, lol. You might want to change the color of the bar from red to something lighter, so it's a graceful change from orange to yellow. Get me? Probably not.

Well, good luck with these.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]
Hmm.. Good observations.

[B]Social Butterfly[/B] is supposed to stand out. That's the name of the people who are hosting the party. You want them to know that "They're going to a Social Butterfly party". As for the girl.. She's my Uncle's girlfriend. Really pretty in person so everyone will recognize that it is her because my family knows most of the people in San Jose.

As for the red bar. I think it was a good touch. At least some of that red/pink that is on the front of the flyer is on the back also. And as for the pictures. If we put pictures of people dancing no one will know who these people are. This flyer was made to attract the "Asian" part of San Jose. So we have a bunch of Asian people hanging out and just having an overall good time. This flyer was made for the Asian crowd because there is a large population of Asian people in San Jose and we need that crowd to make money. I hope that cleared some of your views.

Make note that i also had to make this in less then 2 hours. ^_^[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='DjManix']You know Sun, you could make solid revenue with your talent. Seriously! Designing covers/posters/webgraphics. Your work is A grade man. Dont give up![/quote]Welcome to the forums, Dj! I highly recommend that you read through the Constructive Criticism thread in the main Art forum in addition to the Rules in general, and take a look around to see what is expected of you. Quick tip: describe in particular what you like about the art piece, what you don't like, and what can be improved. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
[size=1]Well hello all! As you can see, I haven't posted any of my new works in my thread in a long time. So here they are.

[u][b]Materialism [Made for the OBGT][/b][/u]

[u][b]I am true of heart[/b][/u]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/I-am-true-of-heart.gif[/img]
Words by Dave Eggers.

[u][b]Stuart Vectored[/b][/u]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/Stuievectoredcopy.jpg[/img]
I told you guys that I would work more with Stuie and here it is! My first atttempt at vectoring.[/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna][B]Materialism[/B] - I must say, when I first saw this piece in the OBGT, I was so impressed. The colors and image are absolutely beautiful, and the words themselves give a wonderful nostalgic feel to it. However, what made it most admirable was the entirely different perspective of materialism you presented. It was so original, and a very pleasant surprise compared to what was expected. Beautiful work.

[B]I Am True of Heart[/B] - I absolutely love the concept of this one, and the words are very clever, and give quite a confident, self-assuring tone - it's very appealing to my taste. Your design here is also very interesting, almost hiding the other layer of words. It reminds me of a watermark...and I must say, I was quite delighted to discover it - like an Easter egg! Your diction is quite interesting, a wonderful blend of the modern with something of the past. Although usually your hidden words would annoy me (since it took me a little to find them, and only when my screen was at the right angle), here they work very well, and I love the effect.

[B]Stuart Vectored[/B] - I know nothing of vectoring, and so cannot be an adequate judge or critic, so please forgive my inadequacies. I quite like this piece - it's new in its stylistic quality, and so attractive to look at. Reminds me of the movie coming out, [I]Scanner Darkly[/I], and I love the effect. The only thing I don't like is where his left eye is - or isn't... It just seems like there's a gaping hole in the side of his head. But other than that, quite cute, and I like it very much.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Well thanks for your Crit.

I have two things to show you today. The first one is a lineart of Stuart. I haven't finished the vector yet so this is a piece i'm just messing around with. And the second piece is just a piece I put together on my free time.

[B][U]Stuart 2[/U][/B]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/Moderating.jpg[/IMG]

[B][U]Constellations[/U][/B]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/Constellationscopy.jpg[/IMG]
Inspired by the words of Jack Johnson.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Grr... time for a third try at this post...

STUUUUUART!1!I remember Kitty forwarding me that stencil tut's link... it's used nicely in this piece. All the colors are soft on the eyes, and fit nicely. The text choice, a bit bland, but fits it. ^_^ Another whimsicle piece to add to yoru Stuie Fetish collection.

Constellastions: I respect the use of Jack Johnson... but...

Well, this piece is nice, and a great adaption of the text art style that's been presented here already. The border is awesome, the font choices are great... my only problem is the "We built our own" is a bit too light... and clashes with the white.

All in all, another great showing. ^_^
[/size]

[size=1]Hm...

[b]Stuart:[/b] is a pretty good stab at vectoring, since I know you're a noob at it. However, I just don't like the image of him first of all, second of all, he looks like an emo kid. The typography is pretty awkward and off balance, and the fonts clash. It's also too gray for its own good.

[b]Constellations:[/b] Getting better - now you just need to stop pussyfooting with the colors. C'mon! Everyone's straining to see what the heck you wrote, so help them out and choose darker colors. I also don't see the point in having the dimensions of the picture being so high.[/size]

• 1 month later...
[size=1]Hey, everyone. I've been off at other forums lately, and i also have been really caught up in school work and Halo. It's a fun game.. Very addicting though. I guess you guys can say that i'm officially back. I won't be online too much as of my grades have been slipping slightly. So i should be able to be on full time by the end of this month. I've made a couple of things that i thought would interest you guys so let me showcase them here. My thread is now open once again!

[b][u]Movement of the people[/b][/u]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/Movementofthepeoplecopy.jpg[/img]

It's very light.

[u][b]Elevate Me[/b][/u]

Still recovering from the U2 concert. It was amazing. The quality in this piece is a bit messed up due to a mistake.

[u][b]Mediocre Bad Guys[/b][/u]

[img]http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9374/mediocrebadguyscopy0rt.jpg[/img]

Don't even ask.. It's just a fun random Photo Manipulation project.

This took a great deal of photomanipulation. From the advertisement on the top, torn posters on the bottom, the faces of the people, and the walls. Kind of different style for this one, I just ran with it. And the lyrics on the walls are Cookie Jar by Jack Johnson.[/size]