OtakuBoards

Sun's Art Thread [Image Heavy]

Sun

[SIZE=1]You have a weak batch here, buddy, lmao.

[b]First banner[/b] didn't feel focused at all. You have the cool background, but the typography and stock are just slapped on for good measure and to take up room. Try to make all the elements more unified and dynamic. Your stock is detached, and poorly blended into the background, and your font just as a nifty outer glow.

[b]Second banner[/b] is probably a throw-back to Boo's fading banner. Except it's not as good xP. You have two definitive renders, and possible one -- all of which aren't blended together very well -- to the point where I could pick out the separate renders. That's a bad sign. Again, the typography is slapped on there -- try something a bit more involving or complex with it. You have the skills, just stop bein' lazy.

[b]Third banner[/b] may be the worst of the three. You have a render unblended atop Jiraya, and such blurry typography it gives me a headache. I'd recommend making it less blurry so people can read it, or just not hide it behind a million renders.

^_^[/SIZE]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Haha, a lot of negative stuff. I've been lacking creativity lately. Meh.

Alright i took a picture of some ball in my backyard and i decided to put it in a banner. It turned out better than i expected.

[U][B]Bleeding Colors Into One[/B] [/U]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23715&stc=1[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23716&stc=1[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23717&stc=1[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23718&stc=1[/IMG][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

all your banners are great!how'd you make the backgrounds?they're always so artsy and attractive.

maybe its just me but i really like abstract art so these kinda backgrounds appeal to me a lot

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]My banners are just made by messing around. The last banner was a photo and an abstract filterized design put together. Just play with the filters and you will get very far.

Don't yell at me, but i decided to use some brushes for this one. Some of the brushes i made on my own, and some were pre-made. I just wanted to see how good i could be if i used pre-made brushes.
[U][B]
Brush Banner[/B][/U]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23720&stc=1[/IMG]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I'll start with the [B]pink-ish ones.
[/B]
These had MAD potential. But, they kind of failed due to all the space on the left side. Their colors were great, but the first and fourth ones were kind of drowning in their own purple. The typgraphy is kind of bad. I'd recommend getting something different -- maybe grunge would work?

Next is the [B]gundam banner[/B] on which you used some brush-es.

I'm not going to lie here -- it may be one of your worst banners. I don't like the misty layer is provides, as it makes things confusing, and you've cleverly hidden your gundam behind it. Even your typography is stuck behind the layer of it. I'd recommend at least putting those above the mist layer, and maybe change its color to match the rest. **shrug** Don't use [strike]drugs[/strike] premade brushes.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Alright, Alright, No more pre-made brushes for me! I just wanted to see what they result would've been if i used these brushes.

My next banner is of Raiden. I couldn't find any text that would have looked good on this banner so i just left it as is.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/RAIDENcopy.jpg[/IMG] [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo][font=tahoma]Hm, I feel it's a little too bright. The background, at least. I think the background could be a few shades darker to help Raiden's lightning affect. It just blends and meshes too much and looks extremely busy. Like I said, Raiden would stand out more, as well as his lightning, if the background were darker, and you added more shadows.
[/color][/font]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Hmm.. i'll try that..

Alright since i'm in the Mortal combat mood, let's bring out my favorite character!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/Scorpiancopy.jpg[/IMG] [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo][font=tahoma]Ooh, I like that one. I like oranges and reds ^_^ So much fire, rawr. The colors blend well, and has a nice lighting effect.

But seriously, I really, really love this one. I think it's better than Raiden :p

[/color][/font]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Here's a fixed version of the Raiden banner.. Tell me if you like this one better.

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23752&stc=1[/IMG]
[/FONT] [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo][font=tahoma]Yes, it looks much better. When you work with a lot of colors (specifically the same colors; ie, blue themes, purple themes, etc), you want to differentiate the tones and different shades.

I'll edit my reply and add more..I have to run for a bit.

[b]Edit[/b]- To each his own, I guess. But to add what I wanted: When you work with so much of the same colors, you have to distinguish, and differentiate, between them. Contrast is a beautiful thing. The images are loaded with color, and it feels like they're about to explode. This could be a good thing, but it can be a bad thing. To create a balance, it's usually best to form contrast and shadows.

I don't know if that made sense, but, it's how I look at art work. Especially heavily-colored images.[/color][/font]

[SIZE=1]Hm. I'll make this brief -- I'm supposed to be doing other things right now.

[b]Raiden Banner[/b] I didn't like much. Both. The colors on the first one clash too much, and something about the positionign of Raiden makes everything feel really awkward. I can't put a finger on it, but they both feel like messy brushing and uncoordinated. Please forgive me -- I know these weren't a walk in the park, but they don't connect with me at all.

[b]Scorpion Banner[/b] again feels awkward and uncoordinated. Most of all, however, I don't like how the fire was made, because along the edges it looks kind of like a cheap effect. v_v The background is clearly made with the same brush(es) as the Raiden set, and therefore the same crit applies.

In general, the borders were sort of ethereal -- I don't like how they're burned into the banner.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Harsh as usual haha....

Alright i made a GFX club banner and i just decided to take off the "GFX Club" text and post it in my thread.. Check it out..

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23764&stc=1[/IMG]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

i love your background (as usual).its got an energetic,impulsive feel to it.but i find the word abit out of place, especially when the image is somewhat 2D and the word is 3D...then again, one man's meat is another man's poison:D

The 05 is just out of place the text fits well but 05 just does not seem to be placed right. The backround is nice and the colors are very nice the render fits well and he is placed perfectly. I get a good feeling when I look at this banner nice job.

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Good feeling? It's a scary man holding a sword..Haha!

Oh my god Sun has got to stop with the brushes! Haha ok by pupular demand i have stopped using brushes and these two are my last brushes banners.

[B]Midnight Passenger[/B]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/MidnightPassengercopy.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Hybrid Moments[/B]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/HybridMomentscopy.jpg[/IMG]

Last brush set Retri...

And here's one without brushes.

[B]Throw It Away![/B]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/JustinTruong/throwitawaycopy.jpg[/IMG][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Hmm well all of these are quite amazing and all of them blend so well Hybrid Moments is the best one the guy is amazing and I love Rising Sun on his shoulder the colors on the BG are quite amazing nice job. The other two I love also but not half as much as Hybrid Moments :P I love the Yoshi one though YOSHI IS TEH p00n :P nice job. Why quit using brushes? Thats just foolish. Who cares if people want you to your amazing with them and I suggest that you keep it up..... But if thats what you want go ahead.

Beautiful.

[SIZE=1]Hm...well, this is better than the Mortal Kombat ones. That's for sure.

[b]Midnight Passings[/b] is a tough one to start critiquing. I think I'll start on the stock. Yes, the stock isn't extracted very well, beause her hair on the left side looks like it's stroked with black. Take that out, as it makes her hair look chunky. I guess her overall positioning/blending is alright, but she looks rather detached from the background, and I don't know how to fix it. The typography doesn't fit at all. The colors of it are fine, but the outer glow doesn't match any other color, and the font choice is a bit too sleek for such a webby/clashing/abstract background. The mirror effect is clever, but doesn't fit either. It's floating the middle of space, and feels disorienting. You don't get any comments on the background aside from it looks overly misty and you used no skill. Teehee.

[b]Hybrid Moments[/b] is better, and I like everything except for the typography. "Hybrid Moments" is in a clean font, while the rest is grungy and dirty. It's also awkwardly placed... I mean, it's a good idea to position it in the middle of the focal point, but it's at a slant, and has that annoying yellow outer glow. Change it to white I say! The "Rising Sun" is fine. No crit there. Finally, change the guy's helmet color. It's neon green while the rest is teal.

[b]Throw it Away![/b] is good, but I recognize the same background you used for our failed collaboration. Try not to reuse your backgrounds so much, and start experimenting. You're only cheating yourself out of the pratice. Aside from that, I really like this one. The light blur on Yoshi does him some good, and the typography is respectable.[/SIZE]

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=2][color=DarkSlateGray]They all look gorgeous to me, especially that Naruto set up there.

[b]Midnight Passings[/b]: I agree with Retri about the cropping around the hair. Hair is always the toughest thing for me to crop in a picture. What you can do to fix this, is play off the remaining colors around the hair as a part of the background. With a dark blue or any other dark colored background, it would be really hard to tell that the cropping didn't work out with her hair. The background for this one is really light, which makes the darkness around the strands stand out A LOT. If I were you, I would use this same image, but make the background dark. The stock just kind of sticks out as it is. Make it flow into the background like your second one does. Also, with the font...I kind of like it. I wouldn't have made the second part blue though...it just doesn't fit in with the color scheme. But if you had a darker background (*nudge nudge*) the yellow glow around it would make it look amazing.

[b]Hybrid Moments:[/b] Not much to say really. It looks really really good. The entire thing just flows all together. I would change the color of the "hybrid" text to some dark teal color. The blue just pokes out. Same with the blue border. It doesn't fit. I disagree with Retri about the text placement. I think the placement of "hybrid moments" fits in rather well. The white around it adds a nice glow effect. I would also say to change the font to something more grungey. And I also disagree with him about the bright green helmet. If it was teal, you couldn't see it!!! Plus, it would look different from what the character actually looks like.

[b]Throw It Away!:[/b] Fun fun fun. I really really like this. Everything looks good to me. It's cute, and it's fun. ^__^ Simple as that.

I hadn't meant for my comments to be that long. >__<" Oh well.... *glomps you* ^__~[/color][/size][/font]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Thank you Hazey,

Since i've been all caught up this week with the Graphics Club i haven't made anything in awhile. This is something i whipped up 10 mins. ago, and i'm exhausted. I hope everyone likes it.

Running at the edge of the wall:

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23822&stc=1[/IMG] [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]Damn, this banner is amazing and I really do mean this. Its so emotional, No not the text... This banner is a mix of so many bright colors and it really just catches my eye. This may be my opinion but it really just shows the skill that you have and how creative you are. The only part I dislike is a little below the top right corner, the dark blotchy part.... What the HELL is that? Really that might have ruined the whole banner. Remove it at once :P Nah im joking but it really dose bring the overall feel down. I really probably think this is your best work. People may say well..... Its not complex and its just sortof a bunch of colors but this really is amazing in my eye. At first I thought of Japan, Anime, And everything that I like. The colors just make me happy. I really cannot explain how I feel very well in words but... Oh well I like it and I think its one of your best pieces of work. [/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE=1]I agree, this is one of you best peices of artwork. What does it make me feel? It makes me feel like just going somewhere with friends and just being free... I love the colors on this graphic, they actually mesh together. The text... I really have to give it to you on the text. I don't know if it's a real life experience or what, but you really got to me on the text :animeshy: I felt like a weirdo saying that. I don't know how the hell you made that sun... recently I was trying to make a sun for a cultural banner. I only got the circle done... :animeangr Anyways back to the overall feeling of the graphic. All in all I love it, except for one thing... you left a tad bit of the original picture of the girl in the background.

I give it a 9.5/10.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Alright, thanks.

I'm glad you guys liked it, i have an improved copy and two more i need to show you guys. Enjoy.
[B][U]
Dogtown[/U]
[/B]
[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23833&stc=1[/IMG]

[B][U]Fly The Flag[/U][/B]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23834&stc=1[/IMG]
[B][U]
[Remake] Running at the edge of the wall...[/U][/B]

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23836&stc=1[/IMG]

Addition: Bushido

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23838&stc=1[/IMG]

I made this for the Otaku Graphica.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][B]Dogtown[/B]- I am guessing you based it off the movie. Since I didn't see it I don't know what the mood of the movie was so I don't know if it was colorful or what. But I guess it is ok. The one thing I don't like is the common colors you have been using. Yucky ducky color. 7/10

[B]Fly The Flag[/B]- Hmm. I like the way you have been using the Japanese sun in your graphics. You make me oh so jealous! The one thing I dislike is the little black box with "The Way of Life" Uh-uh take it out. It reminds me when I first used MS Paint for a graphic. That's the only thing I dislike. 9/10

[B]Running at the edge of the wall [Remake]- [/B] Wow! This is much better that the last. Since there isn't much to say since I already said everything I had to say last time... But I have one tiny question What does the "A" stand for? 10/10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Dogtown: Yes I will agree, the colors are nice but a little bland you did not make them clash as well. I love the overall banner alot it's great but its a little bland for my taste.

Fly The Flag: I agree with Beta it was put exactly how I wanted so I cannot say much. The little box ruins the overall image as ive said on a few of your pieces remove it.... :P

Much Love

[Remake] Running at the edge of the wall: This is amazing my feeling stays the same. Im not sure if he wanted the "A" to mean Anarchy(Im probably wrong but oh well....)
The little bloch you removed makes the image much much better. 10/10 as well

Bushido: Now this is even better than Running at the edge of the wall this is amazing I really am at a loss of words, this is stunning the overall feel is amazing. And Samurai Champloo is probably one of the best anime around so. And Mugen Is my second favorite next to Jin. But he fits the image and I really cannot explain it. It just gives me a feeling inside that I love Its such a great image. NICE JOB man this is a 20/10 nice.
EDIT: If I find a way to express myself with this image I will.

EDIT:
Bushido fits this image "The Way of the Warrior" if that would've been added even in small text it would look cool. But don't give it away make them search for this text it has to be hidden. Most will not agree here but I bet it will be amazing if you do this.[/SIZE]