OtakuBoards

UK General Election

Doukeshi

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Okay, I know its pretty much only a day away and I guess a thread should have been started sooner.

To all you Brits out there (and I guess the rest of ya can join in too ^_~) What do you think the odds are of Labour been voted in for another consecutive five years and pretty much assuring that Mr Blair will be in power for as long, if not longer than Margaret Thatcher.

I myself shall be voting Conservative, even though my friend insists that Michael Howard is as shady as they come. Strict control of imigration, discipline in schools, the manditory cleaner hospitals policy and a focus on the "forgotten majority" everyday hard working Britains who are extorted everyday by Labour.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=doukeshi03][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Okay, I know its pretty much only a day away and I guess a thread should have been started sooner.

To all you Brits out there (and I guess the rest of ya can join in too ^_~) What do you think the odds are of Labour been voted in for another consecutive five years and pretty much assuring that Mr Blair will be in power for as long, if not longer than Margaret Thatcher.

I myself shall be voting Conservative, even though my friend insists that Michael Howard is as shady as they come. Strict control of imigration, discipline in schools, the manditory cleaner hospitals policy and a focus on the "forgotten majority" everyday hard working Britains who are extorted everyday by Labour.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

well done that man.

i have to admit that i hold no hope for labor getting the oust, there are just to0 many blind believers still, but we can only watch and wait.

[COLOR=#FF3399][SIZE=1]I imagine Labour will be getting into power again, which is a shame, as I don't really like Mr. Blair very much. Don't trust that man when it comes to his strategies.

If I was allowed to vote I'd be going Lib. Dem. as they seem to have it sorted pretty well when it comes to their policies on education. Mum doesn't even know who to vote for, but I think she may go Conservative.

I wish we had someone like Maggie back in, I know a lot of people won't agree with me but she done so much for this country and really helped in the long run.

Am I the only one who thinks that none of the parties are focussing on crime nearly enough?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Delacroix][COLOR=#FF3399][SIZE=1]I imagine Labour will be getting into power again, which is a shame, as I don't really like Mr. Blair very much. Don't trust that man when it comes to his strategies.

If I was allowed to vote I'd be going Lib. Dem. as they seem to have it sorted pretty well when it comes to their policies on education. Mum doesn't even know who to vote for, but I think she may go Conservative.

I wish we had someone like Maggie back in, I know a lot of people won't agree with me but she done so much for this country and really helped in the long run.

Am I the only one who thinks that none of the parties are focussing on crime nearly enough?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
no you aren't.

but the lib dems would certainly not be any better. personally, i reckon it'd be good to se veritas in power, se if they could do things different.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

As Britain is the Republic of Ireland's biggest trading partner, whoever gets into 10 Downing Street later in the week will have a fairly big impact on things. I've been following SkyNews coverage of the events leading up to the vote tomorrow and really it's a near certainty that Labour are going to be back in government. I've always seen Labour as the lesser of the two evils in British politics, as the Lib Dems probably won't gain enough power to become the main opposition party.

In Ireland the Conservative Party are viewed with a great sense of distrust, as they were the main ones against Home Rule in Ireland for years. However in saying that there are certain aspect of Mr Howard's policies that do reflect certain things that are common sense. Controlled immigration for one thing is something that Irish politicians need to seriously consider as we're starting to get a fair share of illegitimate asylum seekers and drug runners, in Dublin for instance the Nigerians have set up a one-billion euro crack-cocaine empire. However I disagree completely with their plans for the NHS as it's simply suicidal, if Howard tries to implement his plans he'll more than likely bankrupt it.

I haven't really heard too much on the Liberal Democrats to made any truly informed decisions about their policies. They seem to be going along the same lines as every other major party, the NHS, schools, MRSA although that's linked to the NHS. They do however seem to have some good ideas for pensioners, a section of society who I believe should have some very sincere consideration. I think that given time the Lib Dems could become a party to contend with if they're able to keep up the gains in the election.

As for Labour, I see them as a mix between Conservatives and Lib Dems, they've got some good ideas and made some very bad choices. I'd personally prefer to see Tony Blair stay as PM rather than having Gordon Brown, put simply he lacks charisma, he knows his sums but he doesn't present a great face for politics.

Overall I reckon that Labour would be the safest bets for the time being, Michael Howard is alright as leader of the opposition, and Charles Kennedy represents a good choice for future PM, but at the moment I think Tony is the best choice.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE]I think Tony is the best choice.[/QUOTE]

that was a joke, right?

tony blair is an ***hole. all he does is look dim and regurgitate old policies while trying to make them seem all his own, seroiusly, that chicken over there *points to chicken* could do a better job of running great britannia.

[COLOR=#FF3399][SIZE=1]Haha, I hope anyone in politics isn't reading this thread, Mr. Dante.

Tony Blair isn't that bad, like I said I don't trust him and there are a few things he's done (like, say, a war) that I don't think he should have. He isn't an idiot, at least he doesn't seem like one and he isn't currently running our dear country into the ground (not fast, anyway). Given time, he may do just that, but if Labour comes in for another five years they may just surprise us. We can only hope, after all.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]I also hope you were joking about the Veritas comment *shudders at the thought of Kilroy-Silk running the country*

True there are some conservative ideals that are a bit hard lined such as N. Ireland remaining British and many things that others consider to be racist and bigotted. However, noone is inflexible and I believe that a stronger leadership and government provided by Mr Howard will give Britain the backbone it needs. We have become far too weak and dependant on other nations for our policy and we are far too concerned with how other races and nationalities will view us in our own country. You have to be willing to step on a few toes to get things done and Labour just aren't willing to do that.

This isn't even about the whole Iraq thing either, the failings of Labour are much bigger than Tony Blair and his conflicted cabinet.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

well, results are in. labor wins.

BUT...

they have a much less majority now, and mr blair has a much weakened government. only bad thing is lib dems got in where i am.

ah well, i can vote next time, so maybe that'll make a difference

[SIZE=1]Well the vast majority of the counting is finished and what should come to nobody as a great surprise Labour has won, even though Labour have made a bit of a dog's dinner of some things [the Iraq War and Pensions for examples] I still believed that between themselves and the Tories they were the better choice. But realistically the Conservatives weren't going to win this election, yes they've drawn closer to Labour and cut their majority to 65 seats but that's all most people expected would happen, my one main comment about Michael Howard was that he was too grim, there was nothing positive about his campaign.

The Liberal Democrats have made some good gains and should be on the path to eventually become a good opposition party, Charles Kennedy even though he lost a few seats gained 11 overall and has improved the Lib Dem position considerably.

Even though Labour have won this election the voters have shown Tony that if he wants to keep his job, or rather keep Labour in power then he has to shape up and start listening to the people who put him in government. And even though the Tories and Lib Dems were beaten, Tony will probably take things from their Manifestos and augment it into his own policies, some of which can already been heard in his speeches. Interestingly enough Charles Kennedy appears to be the only one of the three leaders who will be leading his party into the next election in about 2010. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Lord Dante]no you aren't.

but the lib dems would certainly not be any better. personally, i reckon it'd be good to se veritas in power, se if they could do things different.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Yes Veritas, the party that bridges the gap between UKIP and the British National Party in terms of intolerable racism, as we saw in the votes today people are indeed smart enough to put down racists where they belong in the poles. It's just a shame that Kilroy has Irish grandparents as he does great dishonour to them and all Irish people. [/SIZE]

[quote name='doukeshi03][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]True there are some conservative ideals that are a bit hard lined such as N. Ireland remaining British and many things that others consider to be racist and bigoted. However, no one is inflexible and I believe that a stronger leadership and government provided by Mr Howard will give Britain the backbone it needs. We have become far too weak and dependant on other nations for our policy and we are far too concerned with how other races and nationalities will view us in our own country. You have to be willing to step on a few toes to get things done and Labour just aren't willing to do that..[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Such as Northern Ireland ? doukeshi03 by all right the Republic of Ireland should just tell Paisley and his crowd of unionist extremists to shove off, Northern Ireland is part of Ireland, and Ireland should be ruled by the Irish and nobody else. To my knowledge the Scottish are already seeking to separate their Parliament from the one in Westminster and reports from Wales seems that they are ready to take the first steps to create their own Parliament. Britain as you call it was forged on an Empire, conquest and colonisation, Ireland, America, India, Britain has been reduced to a shell of what it once was because people just don't like being represented in another nation. The E.U. isn't perfect but I can tell you as an Irish person I feel far better being represented by my own government in Europe where we can work on things, rather than a powerless MP in Westminster.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Hey woah, I have nothing against Ireland being a whole country again nor do I have anything against Scotland and Wales having their own Parliaments (I was always for Britain being a continent rather than a nation anyway ^_~) and I do realise that Britain is based on Empire and conquest but that comes at a time when forced expansion and conquest were prefectly acceptable part of foreign policy, as it had been for centuries previously. For some reason everyone hates powerful countries, and now that we aren't a power in the world hostility from the other British nations really isn't required. This can all be sorted in a civilized manner without resorting to blowing everyone to **** ¬_¬.

In other news, I am allowed to be proud of my country for what it is and with Labour in power thats not really something I can be.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=DarkGreen][size=1]It actually makes me ashamed to be British to think that some people would seriously consider voting in Veritas. Have you not heard any of Robert Kilroy-Silk's comments to people in the street? Here is an example, which he said to an old man with a stick.

[quote name='Kilroy-Silk']Hello, are you going to vote Veritas? Don't say no while the cameras are on me or I'll wrap that stick around your neck.[/quote]
A real people person, that one.

Far too many people, in my opinion, slate Blair without really thinking first. Yes, he took us to war and I was just as unhappy about that as everyone else. But you can't call him an a**hole for making an extremely difficult decision. His intelligence was unreliable, and he made what he felt was the best judgement in the circumstances. I'm not saying he was right, I'm saying he has a flippin' difficult job and he can't put a foot wrong without the Tories and the SNP yelling 'impeach that man!' and Dead Ringers portraying him as a blundering incompetent. Have some sympathy for the poor guy. Just compare the publicity photos from 1997 and now, and see how eight years in the job have aged him.

As for the Conservatives, Michael Howard is a deeply unpleasant character. I wouldn't shake his hand. I'm not talking about appearance - that would be unfair discrimination - but has anyone seen the obvious relish he takes when tearing apart people's opinions and policies in Parliament? He never seems happier than when he's making someone else look and feel small in front of a hundred MPs.

Finally, did anyone else in Britain notice the odd thing about the two main parties' billboard campaigns? Neither Labour nor the Conservatives published a single poster concerning their own policies. They just used their ad campaigns to snipe at each other. I didn't want to know what was rubbish about the other parties, I wanted to know what was good about their parties. I wanted to know which party to vote for, not which not to. Negative campaigning really gets on my wick. The Lib Dems were the only main party to campaign on their own strengths instead of everyone else's weaknesses, and I respect them deeply for that.
[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=doukeshi03][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Hey woah, I have nothing against Ireland being a whole country again nor do I have anything against Scotland and Wales having their own Parliaments (I was always for Britain being a continent rather than a nation anyway ^_~) and I do realise that Britain is based on Empire and conquest but that comes at a time when forced expansion and conquest were prefectly acceptable part of foreign policy, as it had been for centuries previously. For some reason everyone hates powerful countries, and now that we aren't a power in the world hostility from the other British nations really isn't required. This can all be sorted in a civilized manner without resorting to blowing everyone to **** ¬_¬.

In other news, I am allowed to be proud of my country for what it is and with Labour in power thats not really something I can be.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Reading over it I guess it did sound harsh which wasn't at all the way I intended it to sound, if you were taken aback by my comments then I'd like to apologise. It seems my Nationalistic side got the better of my common sense, something that seems to happen when Northern Ireland is discussed. I don't think people necessarily hate powerful nations, I think people dislike nations who like to force their ideals down on others, I won't mention any names though. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE]Such as Northern Ireland ? doukeshi03 by all right the Republic of Ireland should just tell Paisley and his crowd of unionist extremists to shove off, Northern Ireland is part of Ireland, and Ireland should be ruled by the Irish and nobody else.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the DUP (Paisley and his crowd of unionist extremist) won the marjority of seats in N.Ireland! so N.Ireland will still be part of Britian for a good while!

The annoying thing about living in Northern Ireland is that tribal voting will continue! People here don't care if your going to improve our education system lower crime rates NO all we care is if your a protestant or catholic! :animeangr Makes me sick and embrassed to say I'm from belfast :o

[QUOTE]Reading over it I guess it did sound harsh which wasn't at all the way I intended it to sound, if you were taken aback by my comments then I'd like to apologise. It seems my Nationalistic side got the better of my common sense, something that seems to happen when Northern Ireland is discussed[/QUOTE]

Hey don't worry happens to me all the time! :D

[color=darkviolet]Note, I'm not British or Irish (well, not from Ireland, how about that one?) But CNN has been doing some coverage of the Elections and I guess there are people over on your side of the pond who aren't too pleased with Tony Blair's entrance into the Iraq war.

I figure that if Blair is ousted from his position as Prime minister that who ever takes over will remove Britain's troops from Iraq lessening our (here's a kicker, I'm an American) support over there. Bad for us, not bad for you. One would hope that in that event maybe Bush would with draw our troops as well and just keep his eyes on Afghanistan. Wishful thinking I know. :animesigh

More than likely though, Blair will win the election again, Britain will stay and support the United States troops and there will be more American causualties. But all teh same I hope my uninformed input was appreciated.[/color]

[QUOTE]More than likely though, Blair will win the election again, Britain will stay and support the United States troops and there will be more American causualties[/QUOTE]

Yep that has happened Blair got in. He hasn't mention the war yet has he?!?!
But I glad that Micheal Howard didn't win, the man who "has something of the night about him":demon:

About the british or Irish I'm lucky I can go for Dual nationality!! I would say I'm Irish but if England wins the ruby or football hey I'm british lol :D