OtakuBoards

Moving advice...

Akieen Cloud

Okay so I'm moving here real soon, like tomarrow, today is my last offical day here in NC. The move kinda came on suddenly, we just up and left. I'm moving away from my best friend and my boyfriend of nearly two years. I just don't know how to really handle all this that is happening and I was woundering if someone who has been through the same thing I geuss can help me out here with how to go about all this... My parents got into a fight and well now they're split up...And I know that some of you are gonna say that it could be a good thing but I just want you all to know that this is my little sister and my fiance that I metioned basicly and it's harder than you think to leave tham behind. So if anybody has any advice what so ever that they think I could use please, lemme know. I appreciate it alot. Thank you dearly.

It is a little hard to respond to something like this...because I understand what you are going thru.

Any change is very difficult, especially changes that affect your way of life.

I really can't compair too much to your situation except when I moved from my family in order to go to school. How far away are you going to be living from where you are at now?

The best way is to make a plan to stay in contact with the people you love. Fortunately, our technology is great. We have unlimited weekend minutes (depending on your phone)..AIM, and email.

I would get a cell phone if you don't already have one (that has unlimited nights and weekends), and I would also find a way to get ahold of internet (whether it be at home, in the library, or at your new school).

Write emails, talk at night on the phone, plan to meet each other online.

Another thing I can suggest is to keep an online journal. There are a couple of them available at no charge (ie "livejournal" ) ask your loved ones to do the same thing. That way, you can stay in touch with everything that happens in their life.

Besides that, there isn't much more advice I can give you. You might want to make a long term goal of going to the same university together, so at least you'd be able to reunite with your bf or sister there. Sometimes looking forward to stuff is the best way to move forward.

the point is you have to continue to move forward. use Technology in order keep in touch...but also live your life to the fullest. Enjoy your new school and making new friends. This is your opportunity to "start anew". If there was something you didn't like about yourself, you can change it easily here and people will accept it because they didn't know how you were before.

Good luck and I'll be rooting for you from now on.

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]Keeping in touch is always an option of course, and I'd hate to be the antagonist here, but things like that seldomly work. At first, people write and call everyday, and you talk just as much, if not more then usual. However, things begin to sizzle down, and a call a day becomes a call a month. Change is hard, and yeah, it sucks. And I can completely understand having to leave someone you love behind, but sometimes its just better off that way.

If this is something you want to feel optimistic about, then think of it as a test. If your relationship with this guy is so incredibly strong, then it should be able to handle anything, even your new found distance. If it can't withstand it, then maybe its not as strong as you thought it was. However, I believe that things happen for a reason, and if you weren't meant to be together, then so be it. Either way, you'll have to move on eventually, whether its with or without him, you have to come to terms with yourself first, and then your relationship.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Moving can be hard. I had to do it many times. That's what you have to do when your dad is in the military.

It can be hard, but it'll be fun too. You just have to keep your chin up and make the best of it. I had to do it many times and everything turned out fine.

Don't mean to discourage you in anyway, but the long distance stuff may not work out in the end. I've made plenty of best friends throughout the years and I lost contact with every single one except for one who is now currently in Kansas. (her dad is in the military too)

Just remember to make the best of it. It will always work out in the end. I just moved to Washington state five years ago from England...leaving all of my friends in the process. Right now I have several great friends that I like very much.

Everything works out in the end.[/COLOR]

What part of NC did you live in? I live in High Point.

Anyways, ChemAngel is right, IM's and blogging are great ways to keep in touch. Another good thing to do if you're a gamer is to play an online game (free, something like StarCraft or Unreal) and play it with them. That's how I keep in touch with two of my cousins that live in PA.

[color=sienna][size=1]

I'm a former Army Brat, so you can image that I've moved numerous times. I've moved about ten times since I can remember. Though, it is different for me because I moved several times as a young child, I can relate with my most recent move. I really loved the place I lived, and I had more friends than I ever had. I was really enjoying my stay and I knew the area I was in very well. When we moved, of course, I tried keeping in contact, but all the times I've moved, I've found that it's very hard to do this with out a lot of effort, so I gave up on it.

If this is your first move, then I can't really give you any advice. I learned through trial and error and learned how to make friends quick, and change myself for my surroundings. I suggest you do the same. Stay who you are, but be flexible and adaptable to your surroundings, and be willing to try new things from the area you are in. Make friends, and try not to act too shy. And if you value your friends back at home, then I guess it'd be good to keep in contact with them through phone or mail.

I never did, because I don't hold onto the past, but I know if I were to move tommorow, I deffinetly would.[/color][/size]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR="#990033"][B]I can't really relate to you or the others about moving, because I have never moved since the day I was born. I've always been in the same spot. (Its really quite boring here actually) But anyways, I have to agree with the person who came up with the livejournal idea, that will never die. Phone calls will never stop, and IMs can die away too, but if you have a blog of some sort that people can just leave comments from now and then, thats a way of still holding on.

I would suggest [URL=www.myspace.com]Myspace[/url], [URL=www.xanga.com]Xanga[/URL], and [URL=www.livejournal.com]Live Journal[/URL] since they seem to be the most populated ones right now. Whatever suits you best. I hope everything works out for you, and don't forget, long distant friendships can last, even if they go slowly. You will always make new friends where you go, but don't forget about your old ones if they are worth being kept. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]