OtakuBoards

MTV Movie Awards

Kamuro

[SIZE=1]I usually hate these meetings of rich, good-looking people, but I really didn't mind this one. Theres so many award shows nowadays I don't pay much attention to them, however, I sat down and watched this one and actually didn't attempt to kill myself :animesmil .

The Breakfast Club is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time and I loved the tribute they did and the remake by Yellowcard. I think everyone gets so caught up in the movies of today and whats to come that we forget what actually got us there in the first place. Movies like this set a standard and developed a whole new way of thinking. It broke down barriers some of us didn't even know were there and its great to see a blend of the past as well as future on the MTV stage.

Tom Cruise was also given the "Generation" award, which is just another award MTV made up to consume air time, but I think he deserved it, however meaningless it may be. Tom Cruise is my favorite actor, at least one of them, and he entertains me more then I expect everytime I see his movies. I become enthralled in his characters and truly do respect his incredible talent for movie making. If you're inspired by something so insignificant as a movie, doesn't that tell you something? Well, Jerry Maguire, probably my favorite movie including Tom Cruise, was truly inspiring, at least to me.

The Foo Fighters were the last to perform and I expected them to be good, but I thought they were great. Although the show did include other lackluster performances (such as Eminem's, how predictable) this one truly blew me away. They sound just as good live as always and they did really well at such a large venue. Their new cd comes out soon and I encourage all of you to pick up a copy.

Those are just a few highlights of the night from my POV, but what did you think? Was it good, or could it have been better? Think they're going in the right direction? What was your favorite part? Share[/SIZE]

I only know what I've read about it. I didn't know it actually aired yet, but yeah. I don't really watch the channel to begin with.

I did read about the Breakfast Club thing, which I thought was cool. I like all those old Molly Ringwald-ish films. I agree with their importance, largely because it's one of original movies that actually had [i]teenagers playing teenagers[/i]. Apparently that was a strange idea back then, don't ask me :rolleyes: lol. I'd like to hear the Yellowcard bit. I don't care for them, but Don't You Forget About Me is a great song.

Foo Fighters played instead of Nine Inch Nails. NIN's new single "The Hand That Feeds" is basically about George Bush. They wanted to display a big, unaltered image of him behind them as they played, but MTV wouldn't allow it. Works for me, since what I've heard of the new Foo Fighters album owns the new NIN album anyway, in my opinion lol.

The Yellowcard song was awful, they sapped the life out of a classic song and made it sound completely boring. I changed the channel when that and Mariah Carey were on.

I actually stopped watching before the Foo Fighters came on, but they are a great live band. Grohl is usually chewing gum at mach speed while playing and singing. He's proven himself yet again as multitalented!

For some reason Mean Girls won a ton of awards. I think that the 12-16 yr old girl vote was pretty well represented. Any and all Napolean Dynamite moments were what made ti worth watching though.

[COLOR=Blue]The movies I like hardly get any awards at any award show. (Exsept for LOTRS: Return of the King. 11 OSCARS! POW! Who's yo daddy, "Cold Mountin"?)
"Mean Girls" Shmean Girls, "The Incredibles" and "Spider-Man 2" deserve more credit.
How come movies that I like don't get much recogntion? I think that meetings for Oscars go somthing like this:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]CEO: Right, men. What was the highest grossing film this year?
Exsect1: Umm...This one, sir. (hands him a paper.)
CEO: WHAT!? This..this a movie based on a comic book, fer God's sake!
Exsect2: But the people love it, sir. Great cast, great diolouge, terriffic acting, and..
CEO: SHUT UP! We can't have that! It's bad enough that Lord of the..whatever won eleven awards, but we can't let it happen again, EVER. Jonson, get me every head of every film company in the US. We're going to bribe them to say that best picture goes to
"My Life's Work".
Exsect1: But sir, that movie was horrible! It made very little money, and it had Nick Nolte in it! People hated it! It dosn't deserve best picture!
CEO: Johnson, your fired.
Exsect1: I don't care! This movie is trash. It was four hours long about a guy complaining about everything! It..
(The CEO shoots him in the head.)
CEO: Make it look like suicide, Jinkins. Your Our new vice president. Call up the film heads. "My Life's Work" is getting the Oscar! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]I bet movie exsects are bribing MTV this very moment to have "Monster In-Law" as the best film for next years movie awards.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

The yellowcard bit was horrid. The whole time I was thinking, "Why didn't MTV book them to play one of their songs?"

The paradies were funny at times, but nowhere near Reloaded or Spiderman. The Star wars one is the best this year.

Elisha Cuthbert deserved Breakthrough Female. A teenage girl playing a ***** is really not that hard.

[SIZE=1]Alright alright, the Yellowcard song wasn't amazing, but I think the expectations were amazingly high and probably wouldn't have been met by any band that was chosen to play the song. Eminem's performance was boring to me, very predictable, the songs he would sing and the change in the middle, it always happens that way. Mariah Carey sounded like she was doing a voice over, and sort of looked like it as well. I agree shes a good singer but the live song sounded exactly like the one I've heard on the radio, several, several times. Foo Fighters were definitely the best.

As for Mean Girls, I agree. The acting in mean girls was mediocre at best. Yeah, the girls are young, but they're playing themselves for god sakes lol. Now, the girl that won played in The Notebook, which was indeed, good acting. If she would've won for that rather then Mean Girls, it would've made more sense. As for "The Incredibles," its completely overrated if you ask me. How many have we seen just like this one? "Finding Nemo," "Monsters Inc," "Madagascar." Theres so many, yet people always call them "breakthroughs" in movie making *confused*

The paradies were ok, but Jimmy Fallon just doesn't make me laugh for some reason. His jokes were cheesy and predictable. I thought the funniest one was Napolean Dynamite as Batman, priceless. I, too, thought Spider Man 2 was shafted on some awards. I can't believe seeing movies like Napolean Dynamite and Mean Girls winning so many awards with Spider Man 2, The Aviator, Ray, all came up basicaly empty handed (besides Leonardo's one award). These movies were truly great yet Mean Girls seemed to sweep the show. Proves once again that to many young blonde girls have access to technology. They should be counted as halves to make the votes fair lol.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kamuro']As for "The Incredibles," its completely overrated if you ask me. How many have we seen just like this one? "Finding Nemo," "Monsters Inc," "Madagascar." Theres so many, yet people always call them "breakthroughs" in movie making *confused*[/quote]
Comparing those movies is like apples and oranges. Sure, they're all animation, but how does that make them 'just like' one another? "Ray" and "Mean Girls" are both live-action. Does that make them the same?

[quote name='Morpheus']Comparing those movies is like apples and oranges. Sure, they're all animation, but how does that make them 'just like' one another? "Ray" and "Mean Girls" are both live-action. Does that make them the same?[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I wasn't only comparing them concerning animation. Yes, that is a similarity, but not the only one. Each is made solely for children, and each has similar morals at the end and lessons to be learned throughout the film. Each uses big time movie actors originally known for films geared towards older people and puts them in roles as children friendly creatures. Now I'm sure you can mention actors and their roles in other children's movies, but I can pretty much guarantee you that I can list more movies of another orientation. It seems after the first successful animation film everyone decided to start doing it, and its just getting old if you ask me. Not only are they all animated movies, but the animation is incredibly similar. Look at them, and although some shapes are switched around, some color is shaved off, its basically the same. Hate to crush your childhood dreams however, sorry lol.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kamuro][SIZE=1']I wasn't only comparing them concerning animation. Yes, that is a similarity, but not the only one. Each is made solely for children, and each has similar morals at the end and lessons to be learned throughout the film. Each uses big time movie actors originally known for films geared towards older people and puts them in roles as children friendly creatures. Now I'm sure you can mention actors and their roles in other children's movies, but I can pretty much guarantee you that I can list more movies of another orientation. It seems after the first successful animation film everyone decided to start doing it, and its just getting old if you ask me. Not only are they all animated movies, but the animation is incredibly similar. Look at them, and although some shapes are switched around, some color is shaved off, its basically the same. Hate to crush your childhood dreams however, sorry lol.[/SIZE][/quote]
Look at every live action film made. Ever. They've been doing it for 110 years. That's getting a little old. Why don't we just stop enjoying movies altogether?

Also, they all look the same. That makes Animal House just like Dracula, and Spiderman just like Gone with the Wind. Right?

Do you know how many companies do the animation that you are talking about? 2. Pixar and Dreamworks. That sure is everyone.

Animation is similar? So a fish is a person, with "some color is shaved off"?

The first successful animated film was the first animated film, Snow White. In the Fifties.

I don't know how anyone can think any of those movies is just for children... The Incredibles in particular, considering it has a lot more adult themes and some pretty intense action/violence at times. I've never sat and watched a Pixar film and thought it was just like all their other work. It's the equivalent of thinking every live action film that isn't aimed solely at adults is all the same thing.

To each thier own, I guess.

[SIZE=1]Yes, to each their own I suppose. Maybe its just not my cup of tea? Yes, live action has been done for years, but their are vast amounts of different films concerning live action, a lot more then that of animation. They just placed them all so close together, in the past year or so how many computer animated movies have you seen? The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, Shark Tales, Madagascar, Finding Nemo, Shrek, Shrek 2, etc. It just seems like they all came out at around the same time and a lot of the themes are similar. Just a generalization I made on my own. However, thats all it is, I don't have the time nor strength to search vigorously for information to prove my point, so you win lol.[/SIZE]

[color=darkslateblue] Um. To the whole computer animated movies are basically the same and getting old. They were mostly made to entertain. And they did. And they made lots of money. And they are COOL. Pixar rocks. End of story. :)[/color]

[i]The paradies were ok, but Jimmy Fallon just doesn't make me laugh for some reason. His jokes were cheesy and predictable. I thought the funniest one was Napolean Dynamite as Batman, priceless. I, too, thought Spider Man 2 was shafted on some awards. I can't believe seeing movies like Napolean Dynamite and Mean Girls winning so many awards with Spider Man 2, The Aviator, Ray, all came up basicaly empty handed (besides Leonardo's one award). These movies were truly great yet Mean Girls seemed to sweep the show. Proves once again that to many young blonde girls have access to technology. They should be counted as halves to make the votes fair lol.[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] [i]Woah[/i]. Hold it. This is MTV. What did you expect, the Oscars? Of course [i]Mean Girls[/i] and [i]Napolean Dynamite[/i] won a lot of stuff. And...IMO, [i]Ray[/i] sucked. The only thing that made it good was Jamie Foxx's acting. (Jamie Foxx is the shiz).

Anyways, I just hate it when people complain about which movies won at a MTV movie award show. Seriously. Did you expect anything else?

As for the spoofs, the only one that made my laugh was the Star Wars one. Mainly because I'm a Star Wars dork, but whatever. :D [/color]

[quote name='Kamuro][SIZE=1']Yes, to each their own I suppose. Maybe its just not my cup of tea? Yes, live action has been done for years, but their are vast amounts of different films concerning live action, a lot more then that of animation. They just placed them all so close together, in the past year or so how many computer animated movies have you seen? The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, Shark Tales, Madagascar, Finding Nemo, Shrek, Shrek 2, etc. It just seems like they all came out at around the same time and a lot of the themes are similar. Just a generalization I made on my own. However, thats all it is, I don't have the time nor strength to search vigorously for information to prove my point, so you win lol.[/SIZE][/quote]
In the last year there has been the Incredibles, Shrek 2, Shark Tale, and Madagascar. That's four. There were hundreds of live action movies, all so close together. Some even came out on the same day. lol

I've seen the 3 former, and they were all excelent. Have you even watched them?

The reason there is more diversity is because animation is what can't be done by live action. Animation is also very expensive and time consuming.