OtakuBoards

Underatted and overated animes

Roflocopter

[size=1][color=darkred]I was thinking about this the other day. What are some under rated animes? PMK is underated. Not many people have seen this anime, soo maybe thats why its under rated. It is based around the same time Rorouni Kenshin is, with the rebelious samurai, It has great character development and some of my favorite art. It's Certantly darker than Rorouni Kenshin.

I think that Kino's journey, one of my favorite anime's right now is very underated. Its like an adventure type anime.Hence the name. Its got some cool robots in it, that look pretty old timey, but thats not what makes it a great anime. I thas cool characters and some good character development, It really indulges you into the world of Kino, an her.... Talking moped.

Boogiepop phantom is underated. Its one of my favorite horror animes right now. other horror animes are sort of cheesy.

Now for the topic of overated animes, DBZ is definatley not the worst anime out there, but isnt exactly the phenomenon it is made out to be. There is some wind blowing, some fighting, some talking and more wind blowing. Characters are stereo typical and the fights can last up to 30 episodes Long. I remember back when DBZ was the thing to watch, and I was thinking to myself, when is this damn freeza guy going to die? Of course EVERYONE in DBZ has a second stage. Also, Goku seems to die every freaking episode.

Pokemon and Beyblade, I really dont see the appeal in these to. In pokemon its as simple as travle from town to town, beat some freaky dude in a gym, get some pokemon, and make team rocket blast off again. Beyblade, Spinning tops! More spinning tops!

Digimon dosent fall into these two categories. I enjoyed the first season :animeswea [/size][/color]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an underrated anime would definately be Escaflowne. Though lots of people have heard of it, most of them couldn't tell you what color Merle's hair is without looking at a picture (for those of you who don't know, it's pink). Another underrated anime is Vampire Hunter D. There are two movies- one simply called Vampire Hunter D. It was made in the 70's or 80's or something like that, but it's still a good movie. The second movie, Vampire Hunter D-Bloodlust, is one of the best animated things I've seen out there. The storyline is good, the characters are great and the animation is out of this world!

As for overrated animes, I completly agree with the fact the DBZ is completly overrated. Yu-Gi-Oh's overratedness has gone down steadily, thank God!!

[quote name='Roflocopter][size=1][color=darkred]Now for the topic of overated animes, DBZ is definatley not the worst anime out there, but isnt exactly the phenomenon it is made out to be.[/size'][/color][/quote]
DBZ started out as Dragon Ball. And although the anime involved a lot of wind blowing, I think the Manga was pretty well done. Actually, I think Akira Toriyama was a great mangaka. The series just doesn't translate very well into TV.
Also, remember how old it is. It [b]was[/b] a phenomenon back in the eighties.

[quote name='Roflocopter][size=1][color=darkred]Pokemon and Beyblade, I really dont see the appeal in these to. In pokemon its as simple as travle from town to town, beat some freaky dude in a gym, get some pokemon, and make team rocket blast off again. Beyblade, Spinning tops! More spinning tops![/size'][/color][/quote]
Remember who the target audience is. Your argument for this is just like saying [b]Blue's Clues[/b] sucks because it's always the same. Well, it may suck for you, but it's educational and fun for the kids. [b]Pokémon[/b] is fun for the kids and teaches morals. I just don't think you should go around insulting a series without taking account who it was meant for. If it was meant for children, don't expect it to be Shakespeare.

I do believe there are overrated Anime out there though.

An example is [b]Inuyasha[/b]. I believe the series is overrated by dubbies who believe it's the greatest series in the world. It's an ever lasting journey that never changes, and worst of all, is predictable and boring. >.< But that's my opinion only, I might have to watch more episodes to have a less biased approach.

An underrated anime is [b]Mobile Suit Gundam[/b]. The newer Gundam series, mainly [b]Gundam Wing[/b] and [b]Gundam Seed[/b] are widely accepted by fans because the animation is pretty new. Though, the older series has the same emotional punch (with less soap opera influence) and was good enough to spur a hundred sequels. I think it's biased against because of the animation.

-ArV

[QUOTE=r2vq]
An underrated anime is [b]Mobile Suit Gundam[/b]. The newer Gundam series, mainly [b]Gundam Wing[/b] and [b]Gundam Seed[/b] are widely accepted by fans because the animation is pretty new. Though, the older series has the same emotional punch (with less soap opera influence) and was good enough to spur a hundred sequels. I think it's biased against because of the animation.

-ArV[/QUOTE]
yep, i agree
I equate the animation of the original gundam to slightly better than the animation of the original Speed Racer, which is highly acclaimed. I love both regardless of the animation.

[QUOTE][size=1][color=darkred]An underrated anime is Mobile Suit Gundam. The newer Gundam series, mainly Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed are widely accepted by fans because the animation is pretty new. Though, the older series has the same emotional punch (with less soap opera influence) and was good enough to spur a hundred sequels. I think it's biased against because of the animation.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][color=darkred]Agreed, Mobile suit gundam is quite overrated. And about the hundred sequels, you might not be too far off from the truth. Though Gundam Wings animation is fabulous, it just isnt quite what people make it out to be. Its not really the greatest anime out there IMO.And back in the day Mobile suit gundam's art was the shiznit.

Mobile suit gundam has been one of the most succesful series of all time, maybe because theyre are soo many sequels. For example, theyre is Mobile suit gundam the original, Mobile suit gundam Z, Mobile suit gundam 0083, Mobile suit gundam 0080, Mobile suit gundam 08th Ms team, Mobile suit gundam Wing, Mobile suit gundam seed, Zeta gundam, the list goes on.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][size=1][color=darkred]Pokemon and Beyblade, I really dont see the appeal in these to. In pokemon its as simple as travle from town to town, beat some freaky dude in a gym, get some pokemon, and make team rocket blast off again. Beyblade, Spinning tops! More spinning tops![/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][color=darkred]Actually alot of [B]full grown men[/B] watch these shows, and admire it just as the children do. Which, for many men to like this show, I consider that overated. I have seen men playing the card game at cofee shops and such, so I know. And seen then pick up pokemon animes. And cards. And ect...

Inyuasha is overated, yes. But not for a bad reason. People like the characters and action. But it is overated due to the fact that many claim it is the best series in the world. Though not a bad anime, per se, just overated.

Kenshinsbabe, I am glad you mentioned VHD. Bloodlust is one of my favorite movies.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Roflocopter][SIZE=1][color=darkred]Agreed, Mobile suit gundam is quite overrated.[/size'][/color][/quote]
I'm not sure.. the rest of your post leads me to believe you're arguing the opposite? Did you mean overrated or underrated?

-ArV

[size=1][color=darkred]I said Mobile suit gundam, which is reffering to 0079, the first gundam series. Sorry if I mislead you. Ahh I see now, you said underrated. I mean overated. Which is wierd, for you to say Mobile suit gundam is underrated because the older series's are overated. Also I said before, that It was one of the most sucesful animes of all time, maybe because it had so many knock off's. Meaning I wasnt agreeing it was very good.[/size][/color]

[SIZE=-3][COLOR=DarkRed]Well to start off, [B]Pokemon[/B] and [B]Beyblade[/B] don't count in my book at all. As even exisiting...thank you. ;)

Now to the topic at hand. I personally believe that [B]Initial D[/B] is a *highly* underrated anime. Maybe it's more common where some of you are, but in my area it's relatively unheard of. I don't hear much of it online either. But it's one of my favorite anime's that doesn't get credit where credit is due. I give it so much respect because...well because it's soundtrack is the absolute [i]best[/i], hands down. Ever. And I've heard more OST's than you can shake a stick at.

I'm sorry but you just can't get anything better than the beats of [B]Initial D[/B]. The series is pure Grade-A quality that doesn't have a large fan base. Kinda unforunate really.

I have to add though, that I thought [B]Kikaider[/B] (Spelling?) was pretty damn overrated. All I saw on forums were "You gotta check out [B]Kikaider[/B] this!" and "...[B]Kikaider[/B] [I]that[/I]!" What the...did I see the wrong show? Because the [B]Kikaider[/B] I watched was horrid. Not only was the story completely feel like it was made up in 3 days, but the English voice-overs were making me want to jab a pencil into my ears. The show [B]Kikaider[/B] even tried to be dramatic, which is what insulted me most as it seems to be trying *so* hard to try and make me feel sympathetic to it's main character. No...not happening.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1][color=darkred]It is pretty much underated over here in america To those of you who dont know Initial D is TOKYOPOP's most controversial DVD release to date. No not because of bad content content, gore, drugs, or nudity it is mainly because of how TOKYOPOP chose deal withthe Western release of this show, which actually has a small fanbase. It is about Drifting, which once it catches on, Initial D will probabally be a bit more popular, due to the undeniable fact that the drifting craze will catch on some day.

Initial D is about some Japanese high school kids (isnt every show about japanese schools nowadays) and their involvement in Racing The key evil guy is a dude named Takumie Fujiwara, who is the most laid-back kid you're ever likely to meet is actually the best drift racer in the show. The show has some side-plot involving a love interest for the 'hero', but thats a different story... Actually the last two paragraphs were a different story. I just chased a pretty fast rabit.

Ehh, as far as the actual topic goes... I'm drawing blank at the moment. Ahh. overated- Akira. Though the art was good for its time, which was pre CG, It is still not something that I would want to base my life around. Like some people.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Roflocopter][size=1][color=darkred]I think that Kino's journey, one of my favorite anime's right now is very underated. Its like an adventure type anime.Hence the name. Its got some cool robots in it, that look pretty old timey, but thats not what makes it a great anime. I thas cool characters and some good character development, It really indulges you into the world of Kino, an her.... Talking moped.

Boogiepop phantom is underated. Its one of my favorite horror animes right now. other horror animes are sort of cheesy.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]
Kino's Journey isn't so much underrated as just plain obscure. At least in my experience, pretty much everyone who sees it ends up absolutely raving about it, so in that sense I don't think it qualifies as being underrated. But it definitely does deserve more recognition, if that's what you mean.

However, I do feel that Boogiepop Phantom is quite underrated. I like it a good bit better than Lain and Paranoia Agent and pretty much all the other shows of that type. It's just amazing how the story weaves together; I've never seen or read anything else constructed quite like it.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Roflocopter][size=1][color=darkred]Ahh I see now, you said underrated. I mean overated. Which is wierd, for you to say Mobile suit gundam is underrated because the older series's are overated.[/size'][/color][/quote]

^^ Ah, I just think the older series is underrated because nobody watches them. Every prefers Gundam SEED, Gundam Wing, or Gundam Z. I think this is just because of art style.

[quote name='Sol-Blade']I'm sorry but you just can't get anything better than the beats of Initial D. The series is pure Grade-A quality that doesn't have a large fan base. Kinda unforunate really.[/quote]
Actually, in my area, Initial D is pretty popular. Practically every arcade has a the new Initial D machines, even the movie movie theaters in the 'non-asian' mall have it. And all my friends love Initial D.

[quote name='Roflocopter']The key evil guy is a dude named Takumie Fujiwara,[/quote]
Takumi isn't evil. Not once in First, Second, Third, or Fourth Stage does it imply that he's evil... [spoiler]His girlfriend[/spoiler] on the other hand... Grrr....

[quote name='Roflocopter']overated- Akira. Though the art was good for its time, which was pre CG, It is still not something that I would want to base my life around. Like some people.[/quote]
Well, never base your life off something. But Akira wasn't just good for its time. It was revolutionairy. Find another anime back then that had the same graphics level as Akira. Whether or not it's good on today's level, it was [i]amazing[/i] back then. Also, it was released in the United States when the most violent cartoon would be along the lines of G.I.Joe. Akira blew people's minds out because it was totally different.

-ArV

[QUOTE][size=1][color=darkred]Actually, in my area, Initial D is pretty popular. Practically every arcade has a the new Initial D machines, even the movie movie theaters in the 'non-asian' mall have it. And all my friends love Initial D.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=darkred]Interesting. In my area it is almost unheard of. of course I live in a small hillbilly town with ignorant rednecks. Interestingly though, sol, how one person could say something is overrated and onother one say it is underated. Maybe this has to do with the areas we live in? In my area 0079 Mobile Suit Gundam (The one year war) is [B]highly[/B] overrated. I met some gundam otaku ( which dosent mean you love anime by the way, thats a misconsception)who had, quote "seen, owned, rewatched, and wrote reviews of [b][I]every[/I][/b] gundam series [B][i]ever[/i][/B]". Do you know how mutch time he must have put into that? A buttload. Every gundam series ever. There are dozens of gundam series that have made it to the U.S. But think of those that haven't. Thats a whole lotta gundam right there. He isnt the only gundam fanatic in my area. One of my best friends, named Matthew, Owns [B]hundreds[/B] of gundam models, has every 0079-0083 movie (which I dont see why he even purchase the 0083 movies, since, In my opinion, they sucked) and totally loves mecha. So maybe your town is different, sol, but I know alot of people that love gundam in my town, so here, it is considered overrated.

Now, ontu the topic of Akira.

[QUOTE][size=1][color=darkred]Well, never base your life off something. But Akira wasn't just good for its time. It was revolutionairy. Find another anime back then that had the same graphics level as Akira. Whether or not it's good on today's level, it was amazing back then. Also, it was released in the United States when the most violent cartoon would be along the lines of G.I.Joe. Akira blew people's minds out because it was totally different.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

This reminds me of a good moment. When I was about 15 I rented akira. I told my dad it was a japanese animation. He was curious to what this would be like, so he watched it with me. It blew him away. He loved it. He thought it was the "best animation ever". Which brings me to my point. its not the best animation ever. Just because It was revoloutinary for its time, does not mean that it is the best animation ever. When you argue with someone who denies Akira is overated one of there main arguments is, "It was revoloutionary for its time". That dosent mean it is quite what it is made out to be.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Dagger']However, I do feel that Boogiepop Phantom is quite underrated. I like it a good bit better than Lain and Paranoia Agent and pretty much all the other shows of that type. It's just amazing how the story weaves together; I've never seen or read anything else constructed quite like it.[/quote]

Really? From what I've seen thus far, I like Paranoia Agent better than Boogiepop, though it's mostly for artistic reasons. (The sepia irks me, for one.)
I like Boogiepop, though--don't get me wrong.

I think Lain is pretty overrated. It's supposed to be "weird" and "eerie", yes, but it takes it to a point where you have to force yourself to watch sometimes. (I couldn't really get into it, even after four or five episodes.) I can't say whether it makes sense or not, because I haven't seen all of it, but I think weirdness has too be taken in a more involving direction.
FLCL was weirder than a great number of things, but was [i]really goddamn fun[/i].

The Cat Returns is overrated. Every one likes to go on about how it is "omgz so kul lolzorz", but it isn't at all magnificent. It was about as involving as any new Disney flick and a total waste of money, since I could have bought Mulan on DVD, instead, and been much happier.

Also, the Gravitation anime. I don't know where to start. It just [i][b][u]SUCKS[/u].[/b][/i] The manga was wonderful, but there was nothing I could like about the animation. At all.
It is just so [u]bad[/u]. In every single way. O_o

[size=1][color=darkred]The thing that draws me into boogiepop is the characters, whom all have their own personality and problems. The cast of characters ranges from a girl who loves a missing boy to a girl guided by the spirit of a murdered friendand the stories seem to tie in with eachother in the end. Paranoia agent is good, Li'l slugger is pretty freaky,but for some reason Boogiepop just seems freakier. Though it has an extremely high level of freakiness, it is often overlooked.

Now, so I wont seem one sided, Ill talk about Paranoia agent. Which, in my area, Is highly overrated, were as boogiepop is often overlooked. Lets talk about the director, Satoshi KonI love his work, He has created stunning animes such as, Millenium actress, Tokyo godfathers, and the early thriller, Perfect Blue. Paranoia agent is just about as scary as Perfect blue in my opinion. Its a phycological thriller with freaky, ambient noises and visuals, and a superb plot. It is simply overated. That does not mean its bad. I loved paranoia agent! Its just not what other people told me it was. As I said with boogiepop, Paranoia agent has a remarkable number of characters, all of them have to do with the plot.[/color][/size]

Paranoia Agent is severely underrated, IMO. While it might cause other series to be underlooked, it is underlooked itself, at least by the non-otaku crowd. How can 2 AM Inu-Yasha reruns, 1:30 AM Trigun re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reruns, and Scryed be beating it in the ratings? It seems most casual AS viewers will only watch either nonstop action shows (Inu-Yasha and Scryed, with Champloo being one of the only shows of high quality that fits the catagory), stuff that looks like a nonstop action show (Fullmetal Alchemist), or stuff that has built itself a positive reputation long ago (FLCL, Trigun, GitS, and the like) and will dismiss anything that is openly intellectual as crap.

And I have to blame this problem on two extremely overrated shows: Witch Hunter Robin and Wolf's Rain. Two of the most pretentious, poorly-paced, undeveloped wastes of what could have lead to good shows. It seems that if these shows say "OMG I'm liek SOOOO InTelLecutAL!!!11!1!" the otaku crowd and those interested in joining the otaku crowd will believe the statement, even if the show that is saying that is, well, mostly boring. They aren't the worst shows in the world (the middle portion of WHR and the first few episodes of WR are actually fairly compelling, and they do have many technical merits), but they don't deserve quite the fanbase they get (although WHR doesn't really have much of a fanbase and thus I can't fairly call it overrated; WR seems to have a much bigger crowd for it *guesses it has to do with the bishie gimmick and those into it just for the sake of Yoko Kanno worship*).

Also, nearly every show with 100+ episodes is highly overrated, especially Dragonbal and Inu-Yasha, with Naruto fairly high up there as well. Except for Lupin. That show is way underrated. And outside of the Heii/Kurama fangirls who generally overexagerate things, YYH generally gets a deserving ammount of praise/criticism.

Mobile Suit Gundam is very overrated. While I respect it for its contributions to traditional anime plot development, the character development left much to be desired. Zeta was better than MSG in every way, and is very underrated. Wing is overrated, simply for being the first Gundam to come to America and thus having every new release, especially those on Toonami, being forced to unfair comparisons (I completely DISPISE it when fans of Wing talk of it as "the original"). And while SEED has a rather large unknowing fanbase who've probably only seen G or SD before seing SEED who will discriminate and yell out "SEED IS THE ONLY GUNDAM WITH ANY DEPTH TO IT AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST SILLY FIGHTING STUFF WITH NO PLOT OR CHARACTER OR POLITICS OR ANYTHING OF THAT SORT!" (Wing has the same problem, though to a lesser extent nowadays), it also seems to get a lot of crap from people who claim it to be a "rip-off". Well, I don't see anyone calling EVA a Gunbuster rip-off, so it is unfair to call SEED a "rip-off" of MSG/Wing/whatever.

[quote name='Roflocopter][size=1][color=darkred]Interestingly though, sol, how one person could say something is overrated and onother one say it is underated. Maybe this has to do with the areas we live in?[/color'][/size][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=-3]I wouldn't doubt it. Travelling across country once, I found an area in Denver where [I]everyone[/I] there seemed to have heard of [b]RahXephon[/b] at one point or another. Then in the next city sector over, you couldn't even mention the word [i]anime[/i] without getting a weird look from the locals. It definately varies from region to region though. As you could expect big cities with many oppurtunities to import would have larger fanbases for shows versus a relatively small town out by the interstate and such. It's all a matter of personal taste I guess, but here in Vegas, anime is definately something not talked about by alot of people.

So I'm gonna have to say that ALL anime is underrated from where I come from...

But to be honest, consider that Adult Swim, which does tend to air *some* good shows from time to time, has one of the largest, yet most...I'm trying to think of a good word here...idiotic, fanbases ever. I wouldn't exactly say that just because an anime may have not gone mainstream to the public, it is underrated.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sol-Blade][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=-3']But to be honest, consider that Adult Swim, which does tend to air *some* good shows from time to time, has one of the largest, yet most...I'm trying to think of a good word here...idiotic, fanbases ever.[/quote]

It's mostly only the Inu-Yasha obsessors and the "anime iz teh s uck" people who are idiotic in AS's fanbase. Most of the casual fans and the TZ/AI-type people are generally of average-to-above-average intelligence. I personally love most of AS (with my favorite shows on AS being Champloo, Paranoia, Fullmetal, Futurama, Family Guy, Birdman, Aqua Teens, Bebop, FLCL, Home Movies, Ghost in the Shell, and Venture Bros.) and I'm one of the smartest kids in my school.

[size=1][color=darkred]Eva, quick question, do you like NGE? or are you just using that screen name? Another question, does the Otaku Boards have a chat room or something of that sort so I can make firends with some people on here? Its sort of dull conversing with people you dont know :<. Though alot of people on the Ob are very intelligent people. I have read quite a few posts by dagger-dono and Dagger seems to be one of the most intelligent otakus here. On the subject of intellegent conversations thanks much to Eva unit 100 and Sol for contributing there intellegint posts. Aregato.

"Anime is T3h suck" :animesmil that reminds me of A conversation I had in a chat room earlier today. I was talking with this So called "1337 dude" he apparently knew some stuff about computers. i was asking him for some advice regarding a call Of duty mod I was making, and made a quick comment about anime. he started going off about how much anime sucked. Now normally I dont get involved with the "1337 flamorz" but since I had only made a quick comment about it, and he started flaming me for it, I was forced into a conversation I didnt want to be in. Naturally the first thing you ask to an anime hater is "what anime's have you seen?" He'll usually respond with things such as Boogiepop or others that aired on tech Tv, you know, not too bad animes, soo you cant dis them for it. This guy responded "Dude all I know is that pokemon and digi**** suck, so anime is gay ***." I rofled in response :animeswea

that is why I blame carton network for anime's bad image.

Anyway, Inuyasha is reaaaally overated right now. Maybe it'll be just another passign trend. but meh, I am getting tired of the ( as Eva unit one put it) re re re re re, runs of it. :<

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Censored. Please make sure that any swearing is blanked out. Preferably, even if quoting, don't use it at all. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b][/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Roflocopter][size=1][color=darkred]Eva, quick question, do you like NGE? or are you just using that screen name? Another question, does the Otaku Boards have a chat room or something of that sort so I can make firends with some people on here? Its sort of dull conversing with people you dont know :<. Though alot of people on the Ob are very intelligent people. I have read quite a few posts by dagger-dono and Dagger seems to be one of the most intelligent otakus here. On the subject of intellegent conversations thanks much to Eva unit 100 and Sol for contributing there intellegint posts. Aregato.

"Anime is T3h suck" :animesmil that reminds me of A conversation I had in a chat room earlier today. I was talking with this So called "1337 dude" he apparently knew some stuff about computers. i was asking him for some advice regarding a call Of duty mod I was making, and made a quick comment about anime. he started going off about how much anime sucked. Now normally I dont get involved with the "1337 flamorz" but since I had only made a quick comment about it, and he started flaming me for it, I was forced into a conversation I didnt want to be in. Naturally the first thing you ask to an anime hater is "what anime's have you seen?" He'll usually respond with things such as Boogiepop or others that aired on tech Tv, you know, not too bad animes, soo you cant dis them for it. This guy responded "Dude all I know is that pokemon and digi**** suck, so anime is gay ***." I rofled in response :animeswea

that is why I blame carton network for anime's bad image.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
I am a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion (well, outside of those last two episodes).

Um, you are aware that Pokemon and FoxKids are the people responsible for Pokemon and Digimon, non CN. CN hasn't even aired any of Digimon. The main thing with CN is that they always leave things up to the company that dubs them (with the exception of Big O II, which they helped make, and the editting for Gundam Wing, Tenchi, Bebop, and Kenshin, which were fairly responsible editting jobs), and companies vary drastically. 4Kids and DiC are some of the worst people to ever grace the industry, while Geneon and Bandai always deliver solid dubs and treatment, with Viz and FUNi falling in the middle, with them being a case-by-case basis. So CN doesn't care how good/bad shows are handled, they just want the shows. ;)

Guest forestsage
I have to agree that DBZ is overrated beyond reason. I tried watching it...but it just could NOT hold my attention.

An underrated Anime series is Tekkaman (tecknoman) Thats was an awsome show.

DBZ was probably the most overrated show that I have ever watched... It's a bunch of men screaming their brains out constantly... Really annoying. The fight scenes are just the same animation repeated over and over.

Inu Yasha is getting really old really fast, and I don't think that the new episodes are going to make it any better, they need to end that series as quick a possible... at least that's my opinion of it.

Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket are underrated I believe, the animation quality is incredible and they didn't do a have bad job on the dubs either... The only thing is they should have based them more on the manga, especially in Fruits Basket... the end kind of leaves you thinking, "That's it?"

ive heard rumors flying around of a second season of Fruits basket. you can be sure ill get it too, if its true. i think its way underrated myself. seems like not many ppls heard of it. azumanga daioh the anime is ok, but it has too many filler scenes. example: Sakaki petting Mr. Takadachi for ALMOST A MINUTE. a lot can happen in a minute in anime, or any other type of show. following the rest, DBZ sucks. waaay overrated. i have a little thing called 'zim acts out dbz' on a cd, and it pretty much sums up about 30 episodes in ....a minute and a half

'i will destroy them all with my................................................POWERFUL HANDS hahahahahahahahaha and my superpowerful attacks.'
'hey look, whats that?'
'oh no, its this guy and hes going to kill us all!' *exaggerated screams, all done by the same person*

cracks me up every time

Guest Eli67
Well, I'm feeling dangerous so I'd like to say that [B]Neon Genesis Evangelion [/B] is overated. [B]Rahxephon[/B] may have the same plot, but it has an ending... :animedepr
There is almost as much irrational screaming as DBZ and the movies don't really help with the overwhelming randomness of the end.
Still I enjoyed bits of it, so there is good in all things if you look hard enough.
Most of my anime I have to buy so I resented paying $NZ210 for the pleasure.

[B]Flcl[/B] is a step towards strange which I have always enjoyed but don't hear much about. A bit like [B]Excel[/B], guaranteed to switch the brain to another place entirely.
Just getting into [B]Paranoia agent [/B] and I like the show.
Maybe I get less of the hype here in the Antipodes but reading New Type USA I would have to say [B]Gudam Seed [/B] is way over blown. I've only seen the first 6 episodes from my local video shop but when they get that sloppy with science it devalues the whole, IMO.

And naturally, my dear delight [B]Full metal panic [/B] can never be praised enough. Even [B]Fumoffu[/B] is OK for a touch of nostalgia but the latest manga [B]FMP overload[/B] is just sad. Chibi figures just leave me cold.

[size=1][color=darkred][quote]Well, I'm feeling dangerous so I'd like to say that Neon Genesis Evangelion is overated. Rahxephon may have the same plot, but it has an ending... [/quote]

First of all, Rahxephon does not have the same plot as Neon Genesis Evangelion. if they did have the same plot, that would be sever plagurism on Raxephon's part. While there might be noticable similarities within these two anime's, they are nowhere near the same plot line. neon Genesis Evnagelion is not overated. It is properly rated, having one of the most controversial plot lines, characters, and themes in the history of anime, how can this be overrated? It may be liked by a vast amount of people, but it is properly rated. If people say It is one of the best anime's of all time, they are not overexagerrating, the sales of the Evangelion Dvd's and merchandise are proof.

Once again, Neon Genesis Evangelion has an ending, you obviously have never seen End Of Evangelion. Even if you haven't seen EoE, there is still an ending. The series came to a conclusion in the last episodes didn't it? Thats the end.[/size][/color]