OtakuBoards

Resident Evil 5

The Vampire: Ed

[color=red]Resident Evil 5 was just announced for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. So far not much is known other than that Jun Takeuchmi, the producer of the Street Fighter 2 and the Onimusha series, is overseeing the project. Oherwise, speculation suggests the main character featured in the screens is none other than Resident Evil 1 and Code Veronica star Chris Redfield, but it's not confirmed yet. Otherwise the game's bright atmosphere is of particular note, as are rumors of a more Resident Evil 1-rooted throwback, replete with zombies. In other words, it's the game will build on the groundwork laid down by Resident Evil 6, but some older themes will be returning.[/color]

[color=darkred]So far is set for a PS3 and 360 release. Nothing yet about a Revolution release, as it's too early to say.

The dude who produced Resident Evil 1 and 2, Jun Takeuchi, is involved in the project, which suits me fine considering how well they turned out. It'll be interesting to see the end result of RE5, though, considering that the game is going to be set in a completely different environment, which is somewhat strange for a Resident Evil game; steering away from its trademark dark and gloomy atmospheres.

Resident Evil 4's gameplay is expected to return in RE5, and hopes to take full advantage of the new system's capabilities, and aims to make use of the high definition graphics of the 360 and PS3 to the full extent, though RE5's main trump-card is yet to be revealed.[/color]

Articles have quotes from the guy basically saying this game likely won't be done for another two to three years yet. If that's a mistranslation of some sort, I don't know, but if it is I can't say I'm very excited yet.

The game looks good in scans. Kind of how you'd expect from next generation I guess, although nothing absolutely mind blowing.

Edit - Ed made a thread on this first. I didn't see it and now I'm confused... someone merge these lol.

[size=1][color=blue]Happy to oblige, old chum. - Shinmaru[/size][/color]

[color=darkred]Sorry about the double-thread. I was typing up the thread and my net connection mysteriously got cut off and wouldn't reconnect for another half hour, which is kind of the gap between both threads. Sorry boys.

It won't be completed for a while yet, as the development stage is lengthy -- Resident Evil 4 took almost four years. Regardless of how long a wait we all have, I'm just happy that it's finally been announced and so far confirmed.

I'm not too fussy about which console it will be released on because I'm fairly confident that all three systems will be able to provide the goods, it's just a case of which consoles people are willing to buy. But again, I don't think that will be an issue as a Revolution release is bound to happen.

I sincerely hope the game is a lot less painful to play this time around, though. I loved the new style of gameplay in Resident Evil 4, and I'm happy it's to return, but the constant rotation of the plot (save Alex, lose Alex, get her back, lose her again lol) took the life out of me and replaced it with utter and sheer boredom. That's probably one of the main reasons why I played The Mercenaries a lot more than the actual game.[/color]

I'd say this will take a significantly shorter amount of time than RE4, considering that they won't have to restart several times to get the gameplay right.

I couldn't really care less about this game right now. I don't get the least bit excited from being scared, so I have never enjoyed these games. We'll see how this turns out, though.

[QUOTE=Morpheus]I'd say this will take a significantly shorter amount of time than RE4, considering that they won't have to restart several times to get the gameplay right.

I couldn't really care less about this game right now. I don't get the least bit excited from being scared, so I have never enjoyed these games. We'll see how this turns out, though.[/QUOTE]

For one thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they scratched the game several times; basically every Resident Evil has seen significant changes during their developmental cycles. For another, if you think that Resident Evil 4's fun factor is solely based on generating scares--then you simply don't have a Gamecube. I'll expect you to revoke your statement when the PS2 version comes out.

Unless they plan on just rehashing the gameplay model from RE4, they'll have a lot to do. It's also not simple to render graphics at that level on a consistant basis for the entire length of a game. I wouldn't be surprised if it took as long as they're claiming. I wouldn't be surprised if most games took around two years to complete at that level, which is something of a problem depending on how you look at it.

There's a video if it floating around. I downloaded mine from Jeux-france.com - which I think just directly links the IGN video lol.

[quote name='Charles']For one thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they scratched the game several times; basically every Resident Evil has seen significant changes during their developmental cycles. For another, if you think that Resident Evil 4's fun factor is solely based on generating scares--then you simply don't have a Gamecube. I'll expect you to revoke your statement when the PS2 version comes out.[/quote]
I'm not saying that it is solely based on scares. I am saying that there are scares involved, and since I don't like scares, I don't like scary games. I'll no doubt at least play this by the end of the year(my Gamecube is slowly fading into obscurity after 4 solid years), but the scares will most likely turn me away.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Unless they plan on just rehashing the gameplay model from RE4, they'll have a lot to do.[/quote]

[color=darkred]While on that note... rehashing won't be a problem. There's always room for improvisation and innovation in every game, it's just a case of the developers fishing it out. Sure, the gameplay will be based on that of Resident Evil 4, but there will most likely be changes to it to fulfil the cause for innovation. Whether they're changes for the better, who knows.[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I just saw the video for this and it certainly looks impressive. I liked some of the shots that showed the shadows fluttering across the walls quickly - very 28 Days Later. And that can only be a good thing really.

Anyway, Resident Evil 4's gameplay was really as close to perfect as you can get for that type of game I think. It did need a few improvements, but generally it was a breath of fresh air. I am hopeful that Resident Evil 5 will build on that foundation (and I'm sure it will). So that prospect alone is worth being excited about.

But yeah, this game is going to have a mammoth budget and it's going to take quite a while to complete. I guess this is where we get welcomed to the next generation of game development. Very bittersweet, indeed.[/font]

[URL=http://www.residentevilfan.com/][B][U]Trailer[/U][/B][/URL]

I'm pretty hyped about this game but I think it's going to be moved even further into the action genre. Adding the bright atmosphere to the game isn't exactly going to help it scare the players.

Now the possible plots that they could come up with for RE5 are limitless. With the Plagas sample, Umbrella could do so many things.

I'm just dissapointed because Shinji Mikami is gone and in my opinion, without him, the Resident Evil series won't ever be as good.

[B]Edit:[/B]
Here's some rumours that I found on rehorror.com that have been floating around on the web.

[quote=rehorror.com]-Game takes place in Somalia, Africa
-Release date will be 2008-2010
-Unresolved mysteries from the first game will be revealed
-It will star a new character.

All of the above info is completely false. This all came from an article by JeuxFrance, which was subsequently re-reported by Gamespy.

The scans do not say it takes place in Somalia. This came from mistranslating the paragraph that says the new enemies will swarm you like in the scene from the movie Black Hawk Down, which was set in Somalia, where all the locals formed a mob and swarmed after the marines. I'm sure it could take place in Africa. It would be the most logical location, but the article does not say that.

The release date is completely spurious. What Jun actually said was that normally high-profile next-gen projects like this usually take 3-5 years to make. He does not say "RE5 will take 3-5 years to make, starting now". Plus, Kobayashi mentioned how Capcom were specifically trying to cut down development times.

The "unresolved mysteries" is just reading too much into a single sentence. The scans say RE5 will have links with the original RE games, that's all.

The "new character" is just Gamespy mistranslating JeuxFrance's comment that Capcom haven't confirmed who the main character is.

Now for some real news, Jun was quoted in the article as saying that RE5 will tie up the previous Biohazard storyline. Also there was some technical info in JeuxFrance's article:

-Capcom will maximise the capabilities of both consoles.
-Currently they are working on ambient effects such as heat blur to help emphasise the high temperatures.
-RE5 will have very high detail. The individual hairs on the character's head and beard will be individually rendered.[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I understand that this thread has died down, but as soon as I read this article I decided to update everyone with what I found.

"[I][B]Takeuchi talks Resident Evil 5[/B][/I]

Main character of Capcom's project still unidentified. Next-gen hardware means real physics, meticulous detail, 60 frames per second, and nonlinear gameplay.

In an interview published in the latest issue of Famitsu Xbox, Capcom producer Jun Takeuchi revealed new information regarding Resident Evil 5. The game is currently in development for Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360, and does not yet have a release date.

Takeuchi began by emphasizing the level of detail that his staff has put into the development of RE5's trailer, which was shown at Sony's PlayStation meeting and Microsoft's Xbox Summit in Japan. The trailer depicts a lone man exploring a desert city, and a silhouetted group of assailants, presumably zombies (although much more fleet-footed than past Resident Evil games), bearing down on the character.

Takeuchi stated that his team worked especially hard on the character's face. He said that each strand of hair of the man's beard was made out of actual polygons. The development team went as far as to actually create the muscles in the man's face, which resulted in natural-looking movement of his skin and realistic facial expressions. The developers apparently also painstakingly detailed areas of the character that aren't normally seen, such as models for each of the man's teeth. However, Takeuchi said he was unsure if the actual game will be able to feature that much detail.

While the appearance of the mystery character may be incredibly detailed, his actual identity is not. Many speculate that the character is Chris Redfield, the hero from the original Resident Evil. Takeuchi avoided revealing the character's identity, but did mention that the core developers of RE5 include members of the original RE team, and that the character is someone that the developers are fond of.

When told that the unshaven man looked a bit too old to be Mr. Redfield, Takeuchi said that the Resident Evil timeline has continued on, and the hardware capabilities of the next-generation consoles are finally allowing characters to look as old as they're supposed to. According to Takeuchi, his staff hasn't accurately represented the age of characters in previous games due to the limited performance of the platforms.

Takeuchi confirmed that that RE5 will be an authentic sequel to the series' main plot rather than a side story (as Resident Evil 4 was), and the developers are considering some kind of a conclusion to the franchise's storyline. When asked if the game will also feature some closure between Chris and Wesker's fiasco, Takeuchi said that Resident Evil 5's production is still in its early stages, so many of the details in the game are still up in the air.

As expected, Resident Evil 5 will take advantage of the PS3's and Xbox 360's high-definition graphics. Takeuchi hopes to use real-world physics in the game so objects will react realistically when the player shoots them. Takeuchi said he is considering adopting third-party middleware for its physics engine, such as Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3.

The gameplay of RE5 should be similar to Resident Evil 4, which adopted an over-the-shoulder third-person camera. According to Takeuchi, Resident Evil 4 stirred a lot of excitement at Capcom, since director Shinji Mikami had successfully made major changes while still keeping the essence of the series intact. Takeuchi also said that he plans to run the game at 60fps, which is double the frame rate of previous installments in the series.

Takeuchi commented that he recently played "Half-Life 2," and he was impressed by how the game's storyline progressed without the need for the player to raise any conditional flags in the game. While he didn't say that he'll take an identical approach, he did say that RE5 is a "next-generation game" and should reflect that in its gameplay. In addition, Takeuchi emphasized he doesn't want RE5 to be too linear, where all that the user does is clear a stage, watch a cutscene, and then follow instructions to go to the next stage.

When asked about its release date, Takeuchi explained that next-gen projects easily spend three to five years in development. He added the title is Capcom's current priority. He added that additional information on RE5 wouldn't be released until next year. Gamers can get a glimpse of the work in progress by watching the game's high-definition trailer at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show." [B]- EBgames.com[/B]

I was amazed by Resident Evil 4. It truely revolutionized Resident Evil, forever. I've gone through the game three times in total and I still can't seem to get enough of it, so I can only imagine Resident Evil 5 will be loaded with suprises that will change the gameplay. I've been following the Resident Evil series' storyline, Even read the novelization to each game, so of course I can't wait to see what becomes of Wesker and the other S.T.A.R.S members. Anyways, just thought I'd share this with everyone.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I didn't even get to finish RE4! I rented it twice, and right now it's too expensive to buy. I would probably have to get my brother to buy it for me anyways.

But, I am looking forward for RE5. Hopefully, they will have it for Revolution, because there is an unspoken rule about only buying Nintendo systems in my house. But, if it really is comming out by 2008-2010, then I will be able to by it myself! ;)

I love this game though! I used to be one of those crazy girls, that scream every second when something comes out of nowhere, but now I can actually sit down and enjoy a game only screaming once every hour or so. I used to always keep pausing it alot too... :animeswea