OtakuBoards

Syk3: Traditional Artwork

Syk3

I know Retribution will be glad to see this thread, lol, because it's taken me a long time to finally get the chance to get my artwork up here. I've been meaning to do it, don't get me wrong, but whenever I thought about putting it up, I was just too busy to do so. But here it is, and I hope you're all happy. :p

Pretty much all of my artwork is already up on deviantArt, and seeing as they each have a description at the bottom as well, I think that'll be enormously easier for me to just give you links. I don't intend for this to be shameless plug for my site and expect to get comments there as well, but I'm lazy so you'll have to deal with it. XD I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but here is the set-up for the pictures:

[b]Title[/b]: The name I gave the artwork
[b]Theme[/b]: Message of picture [assigned by teacher]
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: What I used to draw the piece
[b]Dimensions[/b]: Height by width
[b]Grade[/b]: When I drew it

Now, I recently sent in these pictures in for AP Drawing evaluation, so I'm going to post 'em up in the order that I did for them, but not all at once to avoid overwhelming you. The first set (II) is concentration on a particular theme (silence), and the second set (III) is breadth over a wide range of various mediums. Other than that, there no real particular order.. like date or which I like best.

Incidentally, I ended up getting a 3 (out of 5) on the entire collection, so I'm a little bummed out about that, making me even more hesitant about showing them to the OB community. I don't really think that I'll be doing much art in college, even though everyone who has seen them in person can't stop raving over them (it gets a little annoying after a while, to tell you the truth), the reason being that I like to take my time with projects: something that won't suit me well at the college level, I imagine.

But I want to see some good, harsh critique on these; maybe not in the sense that I'll be going back and altering them, but that I'll keep them in mind when doing projects in the future. Don't feel intimidated, though.. I want to hear what you have to say. ^_^

Alright, enough chit chat, let's get this thing going.

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17545329/"]II-1[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Time is Slow
[b]Theme[/b]: Silence [Simplistic Rotation]
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Acrylic
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 18 1/8" by 17 5/8"
[b]Grade[/b]: 12

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14397819/"]II-2[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Quiet Boy
[b]Theme[/b]: Silence
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Pencil
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 9 1/2" by 13 7/8"
[b]Grade[/b]: 11

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17553587/"]II-3[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Control Anger
[b]Theme[/b]: Silence [Anger]
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Pastel
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 10" by 8"

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21053568/"]II-4[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Do You Know Me?
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Charcole
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 18" by 14"

[SIZE=1]Hey-hey! Glad you could post your art work! ^_^

Anyway, I don't draw so I can't really comment well on all these pieces, but I'll take a stab at it.

[b]Control Anger[/b] I love. The theme (I thought) was subtle, and well executed. The "MUTE" could be a bit more solid, it's kinda hard to make out. Perhaps that was your intention though, making your audience look for the theme. The man in the TV looks more [i]fearful[/i] than angry, but I see what you're hinting at. His hair line looks kinda shifty, and the blood looks semi-fake, but on the whole, he's drawn well. The remote control is very good, but I'm not too fond of the ... 'stuff' to the left of the TV. It's kinda ... neutral space with floating objects.

[b]Do You Know Me?[/b] Ironic -- I'm listening to a song "I Don't Know." So there's your answer. Anyway, I love this -- very interesting, and well drawn overall. I think the zipper's the best part though. Very realistic with all the ripples in it. The lighting is very well-done as well. I applaud you.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the reply so quickly. ^_^
[quote name='Retribution][size=1][b]Control Anger[/b] I love. The theme (I thought) was subtle, and well executed. The "MUTE" could be a bit more solid, it's kinda hard to make out. Perhaps that was your intention though, making your audience look for the theme. The man in the TV looks more [i]fearful[/i'] than angry, but I see what you're hinting at. His hair line looks kinda shifty, and the blood looks semi-fake, but on the whole, he's drawn well. The remote control is very good, but I'm not too fond of the ... 'stuff' to the left of the TV. It's kinda ... neutral space with floating objects.[/size][/quote]Yeah, I think I should reiterate one thing about that piece: it is, at least for me, very difficult to use pastels. :/ More than anything, it was frustrating using blunt, end-of-the-crayon type pastels, so I couldn't really get a sharp point in there, if you know what I mean, usually even on the sides. Maybe if I was using pastel pencils.. but I didn't have any of those available. Plus they smear at the slightest touch. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to act like I'm bitching about it, lol, just providing an excuse for some of the things you brought up, and giving you an idea of what I was working with. ;)

I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to get that "Mute" in there without a sharp point, but I managed somehow. The guy in the picture is from the movie The Boondock Saints, and if you've seen it you'd know he was pissed, so that's what I was trying to reproduce. Let's see.. there wasn't any really darker red that I could have gotten in there for the blood, and the stuff on the left is rather dull, yeah, I just had to get something in there so I could put the controller at an angle.

Edit: Here are the next four.

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14398817/"]II-5[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Sleeping Cat
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Watercolor, color pencil
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 6 1/2" by 8"

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17554078/"]II-6[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Depression
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 8" by 10"

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21053917/"]II-7[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Quatro
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Acrylic
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 16" by 16"

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17553382/"]II-8[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Look to Above

[SIZE=1]Awww c'mon, people! This is our moderator! You people have gotta post more critique for him.

[b]Sleeping Cat[/b] feels very cozy. I enjoy the colors, and how they seem to slide together. The blanket is well done as well, and gives it a more realistic feel. The fold in it is pretty good as well. Most of all, I enjoy the cat's posture all curled up in a ball. Good stuff.

[b]Depression[/b] I don't like the hair covering you eye. I mean, I like the idea, but not the execution. The way you drew your hair so it looks like individual strands was a very good touch, and makes this look extremely realistic. I love the background the most though, with the dark, nondescript shapes. It just screams depression. Very interesting picture.

[b]Quatro[/b] Very good coloring! They're all so harmonic and flow together. As far as the actual drawing, it feels a bit too cartoony for my taste, and your left eye feels awkward for some reason. Maybe it's just the photograph you used.

[b]Look to Above[/b] This is excellent. I mean, the nose and your left eye especially -- they're so realistic it scares me. The hair is well placed and executed perfectly. The only minor thing I don't like about this is that your right eye feels undershaded, and throws off the balance of the picture. Aside from that, well done.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Oh, don't worry Retri. I critique Syk3 in other ways. <3

Anyway, I would have to say that Depression and Quatro were my favorites. Don't get me wrong, they're all wonderful. Depression and Quatro really snagged my fancy.

[b]Depression[/b]- I favored this one because of the amazing texture and shading. It so smooth and clean, it looks like a photograph. My favorite aspect of this picture is your jawline and the hat. Absolutely fluid and precise, I can tell that these were the areas of your focus. And it came out very sexy. Not in that sort of way, but the sexy when you can't tear your eyes from it.

[b]Quatro[/b]- Two words: Andy Warhol. That's what this pic reminds me of; and I [i]love[/i] Andy Warhol. The colors are just beautiful, and none of them overpower the rest. A great balance, between color and manipulation.

(is that the Samurai Champloo bandana?)
[/size]

I love 5, 6, and 7.

I commented on DA about the cat.

I have to say, you are getting alot better. You've come along way from those DragonBall Z drawings. Your becoming very good with realistic artwork, and colors.

The depression image does give that feel of hopeless, lonelyness and longing. The shading is so defined and clean. I love the strokes in the hair. The only thing I think would best with this one is maybe more defined folds on the shirt, but thats me.

Quatro is an interesting piece, great choice of images. You have an eye for fine detail, and it shows with even paint. I never really liked painting much, because I was always bad when I was little and never really gave it a chance when I got older. Anyway, the whole image flows nicely together.

[B]Time is Slow:[/B] Very surreal. I personally would prefer the blending to be more subtle in the background, but it offers a nice contrast to the ... wrist? ... the watch is on. It's nicely done with acrylics.
[B]Quiet Boy: [/B] There's something kind of off about the face. Like the lower his-left our-right portion? I'm not sure it should dip in like that. The shading is marvelous, though, and I really like his look. It's almost as if he's harboring some inner demon unbeknowst to the world.
[B]Control Anger: [/B] The "mute" is the most important part! As it is already located of the normal focal point, it should be bold to draw attention. Write bigger, or thicker, or I dunno ... The idea is sooo great, and the tv remote was done [B]extremely well. And with pastels!!!!! I bow down to you.
Do you know me?: [/B] I thought it was a photo at first glance, to be honest. The detail work for the zipper is amazing. The subtle shading of the face is something that contrasts sharply with the metal/plastic highlights of the zipper. Really good.
[B]Sleeping Cat:[/B] Neko! erm, heh. It looks so soft, like you could reach out and bury your fingers in silky fur. I'm not sure of the effect you were going for, so I don't know if you were going for the muted vs. vivid colors. For a "silence" theme, I would have chosen softer, grayer shades for the blanket to keep the cat as the main object. However, it looks good as it is, because really it emphasizes the connection between the cat and the blanket. Kinda like it's saying sometimes you just need to curl up on a blanket and sleep.
>^..~<
[B]Depression:[/B] I like this one. The shading in the background brings out the gloominess, and his expression isn't overly ... blah. It brings out all the subtle nuances of depression. His cap kind of looks like it's resting on his hair instead of pulled down on his head. But that's REALLY not very noticeable.
[B]Quatro:[/B] You did that with acrylics. o.0
[B]Look to Above: [/B] Hm. The hair looks roughly done, but perspective is awesome. It looks ... I dunno ... like you rushed it. The wonderful shading seems hurried. It may not have been and may be just me nitpicking, but ...
Just my two cents.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you all for your comments and critique; they are very much appreciated. ^_^ Unfortunately, these pieces that I'm posting turned out not to get me any credit for college, so that was a real bummer.. but I'm glad that they are being enjoyed by some people, heh. I guess I did improve in the process, but who knows how that will come to help me in the future.

To answer a couple questions, though, yes Annie, that is my Champloo bandana. And klinanime1, I'm not surprised if you think that some of my pieces seem a little rushed, because in all honesty, they were. I had to have 24 pictures done by the end of the year, and that's not an easy thing to accomplish. :/

But anyway, on to new artwork..

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17554633/"]II-9[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Prism Silence
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Charcole, pastel
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 9 7/8" by 13"

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/12897174/"]II-10[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Shh
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Color pencil, water color
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 8" by 7 1/2"

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17554504/"]II-11[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Lazy Dog

[url="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17544553/"]II-12[/url]
[b]Title[/b]: Gothic Church
[b]Theme[/b]: Silence [Architecture]
[b]Medium(s)[/b]: Tempra
[b]Dimensions[/b]: 11 7/8" by 14 1/8"
[b]Grade[/b]: 11

[SIZE=1]To OB Members: [b]Shame on you! Not even commenting on your own moderator's art. Meanie faces. >_<[/b] Heh.

[b]Prism Silence:[/b] I like this overall. It feels very realistic, and since I know nothing of drawing proportions, it all looks good to be. However, the light coming from the window feels a bit random, and I don't like you added color in that particular way. Perhaps if the window's content's itself were colored, it would feel different.

[b]Shh:[/b] I'm going to say that the proportions are off, with one 7th grade one-semester art class under my belt. Really, the proportions bug me... I'm not sure what it is. Also, the colors are vivid, and that's a good thing, but I don't like how ruby your face looks. Even so, it's pretty good still, drawing things that look that realistic.

[b]Lazy Dog:[/b] Yeah, this is my favorite of the batch. I really I have nothing to critique on this one. He looks so happy, and so effing REAL! Really, it's a miracle what you've done with the shading on this. Good stuff.

[b]Gothic Church:[/b] While I understand the intention was to make this piece look dreary, it feels flat instead. I'm guessing the white you used has something to do with it, but I'm only guessing on what [I]feels[/I] right and wrong. So, it feels 2-dimensional, and I don't know how to fix it. Really, I think this picture would be a definite winner if it felt a bit more 3d.[/SIZE]