OtakuBoards

Killer 7

Killer7

I beat this game a few days ago, and it is by far the best game of the year at this point in the year, and probably will be game of the year for me. It has the best story ever in a game aside from the Metal Gear Solid. Yes it may have blocky graphics (even though they fit the anime stylings of the game perfectly). Yes it may have clunky controls, but to me they are a breath of fresh air from the constant Halo and GTA rip-offs. Add in 7 upgradable playable characters, a quirky sense of humor, create anime action scenes, great one liners, and an amazing twist at the end, you have yourself an awesome game. Me and my friends beat the game, and spent hours trying to figure out what happened in the awesome ending. Play it now if you are a game or anime fan.

For anybody who has played it, how do you like it and what do you think about the ending (if you have gotten that far).

The controls aren't clunky. It's impossible for them to be so based on how simplistic the design is.

Having said that, I loved the game. I knew I would despite the limited control the players were given over the characters. At first I was concerned that the gameplay would be too detached and the game would be overly cinematic. Although its presentation was extremely cinematic, the gameplay was relatively repetetive and the puzzles poor, I had a good time. The shooting remained fun throughout. The visuals and storyline were interesting enough to keep me wondering what was next.

The ending itself was terrific but I found the epilogue confusing. [spoiler]A hybrind of Iwazuru/Kun Lan was the final Heaven Smile? [/spoiler]

What I meant by clunky was the fact that the movemnt is very linear, and at times a little confusing. Really if you like anime you NEED this game, it's story is on par with a Hitchcock movie, and it has some really cool action scenes.

I didn't really get the end of Lion either, but the fact is, this game is seriously screwed up.

Ever since I've heard of this game, I've wanted to buy it. Money's an issue though at this point. I'm going to be a college kid, and you know how that is. . .

I can tell this is my type of game. It goes against what a usual game would be, and instead is full of artistic flair and kind of does its own thing.

I'll be getting it. . .sometime, that is.

It is kinda a short game so if you are really short on money you can rent it. But it is does have some replay value with Killer8 mode. This game does have alot of artistic flair though. It is alot like an anime, and has some pretty cool anime scenes, so if you are on thi board you will probably like it.

[size=1]I plan on playing it. My friend Pat has told me alot about it. Apparently it's from the creative mind of Shinji Mikami, the creator or the Resident Evil series who recently left Capcom because they wanted to put RE4 on the PS2.

Back to Killer7, I really could care less if the controls are linear or the graphics aren't perfect. It's an original game idea. Something you don't get everyday.[/size]

I've been playing this game the last couple of days and I think the best word for it really just is "wow".

The controls are simultaneously freeing and limiting. You're pressing less buttons, but it doesn't really affect your enjoyment whatsoever. While I found the system a bit odd at first, I certainly warmed up to it and rarely run into problems. The strange thing about it is that is almost makes the game feel like a point and click adventure with action segments.

Graphically I just think this game is really amazing. It's obviously pushing a decent amount of polygons despite what the style makes it seem like. This becomes more obvious after the first mission (which coincidentally is where the story really picks up). It's like playing inside a game made in Adobe Illustrator. It's use of plain gradients in many cases is really interesting. On a whole, the appearance of it is just compelling and unique. The music and sound fit this as well, although I wish there were more voice samples because each character says the same thing over and over again when they hit an enemy's weak point.

Story wise the game is just really ****** up. It drops you into the middle of things right away and goes from there. Eventually you find out enough to piece everything together, but the whole concept of it is so incredibly unusual for a game... or really anything. The reliance on what's basically a terrorist organization has a large impact considering the world of today.

I'm not that far in it, really, but I think everyone should give this a shot. At least rent it and see if you hate it or not. From a story and style standpoint, it's really on a plane of its own.

Yes Shinji Mikami is a great director, second only to Hideo Kojima for me. He has made the two best action games of the year Killer7 and Resident Evil 4. I'm sad to hear he left, but he will easily get a job somewhere else. UNfortuanately, almost every review I have read (magazine, online) has given it average or below for thier reviews, now it won't get the following it deserves.

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This game struck me as a keeper when it was slated years ago. I'd had it on hold since then at Gamestop. The first news i heard was that you take on the role of seven hitmen and depending on the character at the moment, the game is percieved differently. (stances, enemy appearances, etc.)
The soundtrack is inventive, and fits each scene perfectly. ("Rave On", in the Gatekeeper hallway anyone? (~_^) ) The VAs were amazing, despite the critical-hit quotes.
The enemies are repetetive, but the sub-species of Smiles keep you guessing, and trying to remember close-range battle tactics. Speaking of the battle system, the different characters' stances are the coolest i've seen in awhile. Coyote's upside down revolver is my favorite.

If you like anime, pick this one up, at least give it a rent. It's got a story that [i]will[/i] leave you confused, gunfights that're fun, and a look that's not quite cel-shaded. :animeknow
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']I'm not that far in it, really, but I think everyone should give this a shot. At least rent it and see if you hate it or not. From a story and style standpoint, it's really on a plane of its own.[/quote]

I think everyone should buy it for the same reason they would buy a really good movie or an amazing book. Its storyline is really fun to discuss. Hopefully it won't be slapped with an "Adults Only" rating.

Also, to those of you giving Shinji Mikami all the credit, you should know that Suda 51 is responsible for Killer 7. He wrote it and directed it. Mikami was merely an executive producer.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the game for 30 bucks, since I earned some money doing yard work BS. So far it's been frustrating but I think I expect that. I didn't play for very long but so far I love the style and presentation, but the controls just really irk me. I just need to put more time into the controls and warm up to it, then I should be good. I'm also stuck with the PS2 version since I've only got a PS2. I'm assuming that's why it was 30 bucks since it's not doing so well on the PS2. I had heard the load times were terrible and that's no lie. Sometimes it's 15 to 20 seconds just to wait for it to load. It's pretty insane, I don't get why the load times are that terrible. Other than that, I don't have anything else to say until I play more.